• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Simon Mignolet (GK) Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiVeRp0oL89

Surely time for his own thread?

Would be amazing if we could get him as an alternative option to Reina but I think we all know that isn't going to be the case.. Makes his possible arrival all a bit 'meh' with that in mind. Still though, a good goalkeeper with bags of potential. The time is right for him to move up a level and he'll certainly be looking to impress, especially with the World Cup in 12 months time.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The rumours/reports are that Reina will go to Barca next summer when Valdes contract runs out to be their experienced keeper whilst they have a younger keeper like Ter Stegen being groomed for long term.

That would give us a season with both Mignolet and Reina so Mignolet isn't just thrown in the deep end to sink or swim, bit like what United did with Lindegaard (not that he was that experienced) and De Gea two seasons ago or Spurs did with Friedel and Lloris this season.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Hm, not sure how I feel about that.

Mignolet had better be bloody amazing.

rab

Most stories seem to suggest Mignolet coming in to replace Reina who is still being talked about leaving for Barca this summer.

Can see us spending £10m on a new keeper this summer banking on Reina leaving next summer. If something has already been agreed for Reina to leave then i'd expect him to be playing second fiddle to Mignolet as we already know he's going to leave.

Also entirely possible this is being put out there by Sunderland to try and instigate a bidding war and extract more money from Arsenal. Highly suspect this one.

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
Strangely enough I dont really follow sunderland but I do remember on the odd occasion that I did see them that their goalie impressed. Could be wishful thinking as we seem to be keen on getting him but I do like the idea of him being with pepe for a year before he takes over presumably when Reina goes to Barca.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
I would expect the keeper of relegation-threatened Sunderland to be a lot busier than the keeper of Liverpool, though. Hard to really draw too many conclusions from those figures.

The Big Finn

TIA Youth Team
Its on the BBC now.
Liverpool are close to securing a deal to sign Belgium goalkeeper Simon Mignolet from Sunderland.
Although the Anfield club have offered £8m and Sunderland's asking price is £10m, an agreement is expected to be reached in the coming days.
More to follow.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22919112

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Heh, one minute Arsenal have made us look like tosser according to the Mirror. The next, we're getting him. What's next from the Mirror? 'He was shit anyway'? Tits.

jabu

TIA New Signing
looks like its happening...
BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport 1m
Liverpool are close to agreeing a deal for Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet. Full story soon. #lfc #safc

i want us to get him him... BR has plans for the club and we cant wait for pepe to decide if he is going or staying, or barca/valdes to decide for him. the last thing we need is to be left holding our dick in our hands if barca/reina/valdes make up their minds. so this is being pro active, getting a very good young keeper, good choice and good job if we get him

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Surely we could have got Begovic for that. Hmn. Can't see Reina staying? Can't understand spending £10m on a keeper if he isn't? Strange, all this.

jabu

TIA New Signing
Cortez said:
Surely we could have got Begovic for that. Hmn. Can't see Reina staying? Can't understand spending £10m on a keeper if he isn't? Strange, all this.
nah i think the want close to 20 mil for him cortez

ryanhsmith

Apparently Real Madrid, Arsenal and Man U were after him but he has agreed a four-year deal with us.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
ryanhsmith said:
Apparently Real Madrid, Arsenal and Man U were after him but he has agreed a four-year deal with us.
According to whom?

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I'll miss Pepe, but as simple as you cant have a keeper on £120k a week and maintain a good outfield.

jabu

TIA New Signing
Cortez said:
Good ol' Auntie Jabu.
i really think its a good buy to be honest... begovic would cost twice that and they are almost equal in ability although i think begs is a slightly better short stopper but i think mignolet has far better presence and technique... thats jus my opinion

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Zinedine Biscan said:
I would expect the keeper of relegation-threatened Sunderland to be a lot busier than the keeper of Liverpool, though. Hard to really draw too many conclusions from those figures.
No but you can from the number of "claimed" balls and the volume of punches tells you that infers he's more commanding and decisive. Crosses and corners for us were almost suicidal last season.

Not saying he's better than Pepe - just disecting those numbers...I think Pepe needs to stay

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Begovic: Claims, 129. Failed Claims, 0. That'll do, I guess.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
SoueysTash said:
No but you can from the number of "claimed" balls and the volume of punches tells you that infers he's more commanding and decisive. Crosses and corners for us were almost suicidal last season.

Not saying he's better than Pepe - just disecting those numbers...I think Pepe needs to stay
Or it could be that Sunderland's porous defence was shipping a ton more corners and the like than ours, and he got more opportunities to claim the ball than Pepe did.

Just saying it's hard to judge one way or another from the bare stats.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Zinedine Biscan said:
Or it could be that Sunderland's porous defence was shipping a ton more corners and the like than ours, and he got more opportunities to claim the ball than Pepe did.

To be fair, he hasn't ever been strong on claiming crosses. It's not really his 'thing'. The saves to goals thing is pretty telling. Now, I'm not saying those stats paint the whole picture - they almost certainly don't - but that's a tough stat to dismiss.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Zinedine Biscan said:

Indeed - all numbers do that though, specially in football!

He let in less corners than Pepe did though ;-)

Couldn't comment as I've not been at Anfield for any of Sunderlands visits in the last couple of years so not seen Mignolet actually play, I do know that Pepe/our defence have had some clangers when it comes to claiming things, Man City was the worst of those but there were a lot more examples

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I like the idea of signing this lad up.

Regardless of Pepe's future, there is no harm in having to decent keepers in the ranks. It will push both on to become better, and if Pepe is keen to end his career in Spain then having someone in for a transition season is ideal.

Begovic would probably cost more, but I'd be happy with him too. I think the important thing for us to know however is how good both of them are with their feet? Never seen Begovic play with his feet due to Stoke's style, but then again we don't see much from Mignolet.

Lucas

It's only a good thing that Pepe is getting solid competition. If he does leave for Barca next season, it will be good to have time to train Mignolet up, and from the Sunderland games I've watched, he's single handedly kept them in games (pun not intended!).

rab

Lucas said:
It's only a good thing that Pepe is getting solid competition. If he does leave for Barca next season, it will be good to have time to train Mignolet up, and from the Sunderland games I've watched, he's single handedly kept them in games (pun not intended!).
The guy doesn't need training up. He's a 25 year old full international keeper with 89 Premiership appearances to his name. If he isn't ready to be first choice in his own right immediately then what's the point in spending £10m on him? He's not going to get better sat on our bench for a year.

Lucas

rab said:
The guy doesn't need training up. He's a 25 year old full international keeper with 89 Premiership appearances to his name. If he isn't ready to be first choice in his own right immediately then what's the point in spending £10m on him? He's not going to get better sat on our bench for a year.
Every player needs training up, 25 is still young for a goalkeeper. Like you say, he has league experience, but he still needs to learn how to play in our system, as the 'keeper has a massively increased role.

RedSouthIndian

TIA Squad Member
A good signing when it happens!! Mignolet was one of the 'keepers of last season, perhaps second only to Begovic. With due respect to Pepe Reina, he has not been at his best since the last two seasons even though his form improved over the last 5-6 months of last season. Perhaps, he yearns for a change!!

So the BR rebuilding goes on....Can't really wait for next season to start really!!

Status
Not open for further replies.