• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Simon Mignolet (GK) Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
rab said:
I wonder if someone like Schwarzer might come in on a bosman. An experienced head, happy to sit on the bench but good enough to play if/when needed and a good role model for Mignolet to learn from. He could be here for just a year or two whilst Mignolet settles in and then be released when we bring in a young up and comer having had some time to go out and scout one and buy them when we have less immediate needs.
Another sensible post mate. Schwarzer, Given and possibly Friedel could do that type of job for a year or two and possible become a goal keeping coach at the same time.
Regardless having two 12Mil keepers at the club does not make sense.

rab

Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Rab disagree with your rating of Lindegaard, Pantilimon and Friedel.

All could start week in week out at most clubs (there have been times Lindegaard has been much better than De Gea but they have a long term development project going on with De Gea).

Arsenal and Chelsea are both in the market for new second or first choice keepers so maybe wait to see how strong they are after that first.

Ive never said two number ones I dont think anybody ever has Ive only ever said your second choice needs to be good enough so you have adequate injury cover and the option to drop your first choice if his form sucks.

Have a look through our own history and we have nearly always had two good keepers and a third who is about the same level as Jones (or was Jones when Doni was here). Last season with just Jones and Gulacsi as back up is about as weak as I remember us being there is no way we will look to be even weaker next season.

Mignolet has been brought in to either play his way into the number one shirt at a high profile club like Liverpool (one of the only things that gives him a chance to regain Belgian number 1) or for Reina/replacement to have to play fantastic to keep the number 1 position and keep Mignolet on the bench. Either way Liverpool wins out.

Grrr people stop making me rant lol
If we keep Reina and sign Mignolet we'd have two keepers of the ability to be considered the number one choice here. No other top Premiership club or top club in Europe (bar Real) has a second choice keeper that would be considered to be good enough to be number one in their own right.

De Gea, Loris and Hart are clearly better than the alternative options at their respective clubs. Those back up options have little or no opportunity to permanently displodge the current keeper and clearly if they wanted to be a first choice keeper they'd only find that opportunity in the Premiership at a team some way down the table from where they are now. The only teams I reckon any of those back up keepers would be an improvement on the current number ones would be Norwich, Southampton and Sunderland once Mignolet leaves.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Lucas or Allen said:
Barcelona have 2 good keepers and so do Real Madrid.Maybe Brendan is looking at them and not the English way.
You do realise Barca and Real Madrid are two of the richest clubs in the world and play in the Champions League every single season. Liverpool arent and dont.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Matt said:
You do realise Barca and Real Madrid are two of the richest clubs in the world and play in the Champions League every single season. Liverpool arent and dont.
It would simply be a waste of resources to have two 12Mil keepers fighting for the NO.1 spot given our financial situation and our recent lack of CL football. How about the12Mil from the possible sale of Reina being spent on a defensive midfield player or a left full back? Surely that would be a stronger overall position for the club allowing for a cheaper third choice keeper or even a free transfer of a keeper at the tail end of his career.
I cant for the life of me see how anyone could see it any differently.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Lucas or Allen said:
Barcelona have 2 good keepers and so do Real Madrid.Maybe Brendan is looking at them and not the English way.
You sure? Pinto was terrible every time i see him, and sorely responsible for 50% of conceded goal every time he plays. He also got contract to play every cup game for Barcelona bar CL or something like that.

Real Madrid Number 2 meanwhile was gotten to dislodge Iker and keep him on the bench. just last season

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
gingerbread said:
You sure? Pinto was terrible every time i see him, and sorely responsible for 50% of conceded goal every time he plays. He also got contract to play every cup game for Barcelona bar CL or something like that.

Real Madrid Number 2 meanwhile was gotten to dislodge Iker and keep him on the bench. just last season
Because Jose fell out with Iker and was cutting off his nose despite his face.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Looking more and more strange.

If Reina truly is staying, then Mignolet has probably dashed any hopes he has as Belgium no.1 for the World Cup.

Bizzare situation. He's far too good to be on League Cup duty.

Maybe he'll kick Reina out of goalkeeper, hope Reina wouldn't take that too badly.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insists Mignolet would have to compete with Pepe Reina and will not be his replacement.
Vandermissen, though, says Mignolet would relish the competition with Reina for the No 1 shirt.
He said: "I know the qualities of Simon and he can cope with any competition, it is no problem."

Reina welcomes Mignolet

Mignolet hopes his next move will help him win the No.1 slot for the international side.
He is in competition for that jersey with Thibaut Courtois, who is on loan at Atletico Madrid from Chelsea.
A move to Liverpool would not mean European football, but Vandermissen does not see that as a problem.
He said: "When you play Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal every week, this is European football, so what is the problem?"

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8789077/Transfer-news-Liverpool-yet-to-sign-Sunderland-s-Simon-Mignolet-says-agent
They all look happy to me.2 great keepers at the club and people are crying over it..Victor Valdez is going nowhere so Reina is not going there and Real have their Keeper so what club is Pepe going to go to???Monaco and play in front of 5 thousand people.What if your goalkeeper gets injured you need to have a good back up as you have to wait till the next window.
Why all the negative vibes brothers and sisters we should be bloody happy we signed 3 players and we may be getting a keeper we all seem to like.And Papa may be coming.Brendan said Luis Suarez is staying and Real have made no bid for him so why all the fucking tears lads.We got rid of Carroll for a good price too.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8788753/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-is-optimistic-Luis-Suarez-will-stay
More good news.But hay lets all watch the fucking life of Brian and hang ourselves on a bloody cross.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Nobody is crying over it. They're saying it's unlikely to happen.

brush85

DeathOrGlory said:
Looking more and more strange.

If Reina truly is staying, then Mignolet has probably dashed any hopes he has as Belgium no.1 for the World Cup.

Bizzare situation. He's far too good to be on League Cup duty.

Maybe he'll kick Reina out of goalkeeper, hope Reina wouldn't take that too badly.
That along with having to deal with questions about it every single week.

The media will never let it go, regardless of who starts.

''So Brendan, why spend so much money on someone who doesnt play?''

''So Brendan, why is someone as important and as good as Pepe Reina wasting away on your bench?''

And then the players get asked about it and then the fans, when one makes a mistake, will ask to play the other one. Its the only position where you need something settled ( Most of the time ).

brush85

Lucas or Allen said:
Even if that was his line of thinking.

I would rather have 2 good DM's, so Lucas didnt have to be the sole DM in our squad. Having cover in outfield spots far outweighs having 2 Keepers.

Its like having a tv with no remote, so instead of buying a remote, you buy another tv so you can have 2 stations on at the same time.

I_Never_Walk_Alone

TIA Reserve Team
everyone complaining that we cant afford this luxury, if you studied finance you'd know that NO transfer deals are lmp sum payements. We'll probably make periodic payements to Sunderland for Mignolet, paying the entirety in 18-24 monthes down the road. Therefore recouping 10m on Reina this summer or next really doesnt make a difference. Brendan already said we'd be giving it a better run in the Cups this season being that we're out of Europe. I'm all for competition at the GK being that Reina has been so inconsistent and lacking focus the past 3 seasons. To those arguing about wages... Downing and Carroll (and Carra :*( ) off the wage bill should ease those worries. People said its never been done before, how many times did people say that when Shankly came in and shook things up? No club has ever been where we are, so I dont think "no one else has done it" should be an excuse to not upgrade a position that clearly needed it...

brush85 said:
Even if that was his line of thinking.

I would rather have 2 good DM's, so Lucas didnt have to be the sole DM in our squad. Having cover in outfield spots far outweighs having 2 Keepers.

Its like having a tv with no remote, so instead of buying a remote, you buy another tv so you can have 2 stations on at the same time.
brutal analogy and youre assuming that we still wont move for another CDM for lucas cover

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I_Never_Walk_Alone said:
everyone complaining that we cant afford this luxury, if you studied finance you'd know that NO transfer deals are lmp sum payements. We'll probably make periodic payements to Sunderland for Mignolet, paying the entirety in 18-24 monthes down the road. Therefore recouping 10m on Reina this summer or next really doesnt make a difference.
But as transfers are staggered payments over 24months the Reina fee would also be paid over this timeframe, so it would make a difference.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
I_Never_Walk_Alone said:
everyone complaining that we cant afford this luxury
I can't agree with that, mate. Some are saying that it's unlikely that we'll still have Reina, simply because of the financial implications. We're currently out of the CL, on a budget that's significantly less than some of our rivals in the league, and we're spending 9m on a keeper. Putting a Reina on the bench and paying him £100k to do it doesn't make financial sense to me. Now, I might be wrong. Maybe that's exactly what we're going to do. I'd be shocked, considering it's totally the opposite of what FSG have done so far, but I guess we'll see. What isn't happening is everybody complaining. It's great to have strength in depth. Most people want that, it's just that some can see it might be out of our range financially.

if you studied finance you'd know that NO transfer deals are lmp sum payements.
Again, I just can't agree. There have been quite a few deals that are done up front. Now, Mignolet might not be, but we certainly have done it before. Carroll, for instance. Torres from Chelsea. It also stands to reason that the money coming in is partially in instalments.

Anyway, I'm going to keep away from this thread. I've said what I think will happen, so that's my lot.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Lucas or Allen said:
They all look happy to me.2 great keepers at the club and people are crying over it..Victor Valdez is going nowhere so Reina is not going there and Real have their Keeper so what club is Pepe going to go to???Monaco and play in front of 5 thousand people.What if your goalkeeper gets injured you need to have a good back up as you have to wait till the next window.
Why all the negative vibes brothers and sisters we should be bloody happy we signed 3 players and we may be getting a keeper we all seem to like.And Papa may be coming.Brendan said Luis Suarez is staying and Real have made no bid for him so why all the fucking tears lads.We got rid of Carroll for a good price too.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8788753/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-is-optimistic-Luis-Suarez-will-stay
More good news.But hay lets all watch the fucking life of Brian and hang ourselves on a bloody cross.
who says Valdez is going nowhere? Journalists in Spain are still saying he will go.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I_Never_Walk_Alone said:
everyone complaining that we cant afford this luxury, if you studied finance you'd know that NO transfer deals are lmp sum payements. We'll probably make periodic payements to Sunderland for Mignolet, paying the entirety in 18-24 monthes down the road. Therefore recouping 10m on Reina this summer or next really doesnt make a difference. Brendan already said we'd be giving it a better run in the Cups this season being that we're out of Europe. I'm all for competition at the GK being that Reina has been so inconsistent and lacking focus the past 3 seasons. To those arguing about wages... Downing and Carroll (and Carra :*( ) off the wage bill should ease those worries. People said its never been done before, how many times did people say that when Shankly came in and shook things up? No club has ever been where we are, so I dont think "no one else has done it" should be an excuse to not upgrade a position that clearly needed it...
Do you study finance? Because I would be very surprised if NO deals are done in lump sum payments.

brush85

I_Never_Walk_Alone said:

brutal analogy and youre assuming that we still wont move for another CDM for lucas cover
It matters what you are spending in the present because of the wages, on top of the instalments. If we have enough money to have to legit #1 Goalkeepers, then we have zero excuses for holes in other areas in our team.
And if we fill all our holes this summer, then I wont say a word about the Goalie situation.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I for one would be the happiest that we are signing a 11mil goalkeeper to provide competition to a very good keeper we already have. If we want competition in every area of the field, why not the GK position? And seriously, we are complaining that we are spending too much money now? I have said it before, last year when we failed to sign Demsey, it was not a matter of us not having that 1 mil. Its a matter of our club not willing to give in for the sake of it. And if this goes through, and Reina does stay, this will go a long way to prove that our owners will spend and spend if they are convinced to do so.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
redfanman said:
who says Valdez is going nowhere? Journalists in Spain are still saying he will go.
He has another year on his contract and wants to see it out then move for a nice little signing on fee.I went over to the Forum Barcelona have and snooped.

I_Never_Walk_Alone

TIA Reserve Team
redfanman said:
Do you study finance? Because I would be very surprised if NO deals are done in lump sum payments.
Yes, I did. And extremely large majority would be a better description.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Lucas or Allen said:
He has another year on his contract and wants to see it out then move for a nice little signing on fee.I went over to the Forum Barcelona have and snooped.
While he said publically he was staying, journalists in spain have said that this was a negotiating tactic with Monaco and expect him to be gone this summer.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Prolix said:
The key factor in all this, I think, is whether Barça are interested in Reina this summer rather than next. If they want him, he goes.
It looks like Pepe wants to go to Barca as soon as Valdes leaves. We thankfully were proactive and not just sitting in our hands waiting for Valdes/Barca to make the first move. If that's this year or next looks like it's going to happen. We'll have a better goalkeeper either way.

S

showmethemoney

mpoletti said:
Looks like the Belgian keeper will be our next signing as Barrett confirmed his medical is scheduled for Tuesday.
Unreal, 4 signings as good as in the bag & the window hasn't even opened yet.

Seems the club is finally learning. Not waiting, getting in to a pickle & then acting.

Nice, quick concise action.

Tip top.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
showmethemoney said:
Unreal, 4 signings as good as in the bag & the window hasn't even opened yet.

Seems the club is finally learning. Not waiting, getting in to a pickle & then acting.

Nice, quick concise action.

Tip top.
I think an extra £15m (Carroll) added to the transfer fund (if there is one) had something to do with this. If we can move on Jonjo (sad, but best for all I think), Spearing, to some extent Coates, and especially Downing, this would greatly increase the chances of us getting in better alternatives during this window.

I hope that Suarez will end up staying as this would forestall difficult transfer negotiations re a successor (Mkhitaryan) and let's not fool ourselves, the vast majority of the parties wanting him away from LFC are to be found amongst our rivals; they know our firepower will be significantly reduced if he leaves and they all want a weaker Liverpool to contend with next season, not an even stronger one, which we almost certainly will be should he remain here.

Eggmundo

If you fail to plan, You plan to fail !
Mignolet or Begovic ?????? i'm still caught in the middle, perhaps slightly prefer Begovic....

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Eggmundo said:
Mignolet or Begovic ?????? i'm still caught in the middle, perhaps slightly prefer Begovic....
Well it sounds as if you need to get used to the idea of Mignolet as even BR has mentioned his name now.

Status
Not open for further replies.