• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Simon Mignolet (GK) Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,014
rupzzz said:
Well it sounds as if you need to get used to the idea of Mignolet as even BR has mentioned his name now.
Thought it a bit weird that that happened as I haven't seen any confirmation on the offal of this being done.

I guess they are waiting for the hype of the last two signings to die down. One a day.
 


Anfield rd Dreamer

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2012
Messages
11,525
DeathOrGlory said:
Thought it a bit weird that that happened as I haven't seen any confirmation on the offal of this being done.

I guess they are waiting for the hype of the last two signings to die down. One a day.
Medical tomorrow he returned from holiday today. Rodgers has only spoken in theoreticals as to signing another good keeper but its quite obvious he is coming. Even the players agent has been defending the idea of two keepers competing at Liverpool.
 

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
13,565
Looks like we will be closing. this if all goes to plan, another solid signing.
 

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jan 24, 2011
Messages
565
Glad to have him. Personally I like Reina but I don't like the whole Pepe will either leave now or next season. Either you're commited 100% to LFC or you're not. Glad Rodgers is taking the bull by the horns and hopefully motivating the transfer now (instead of next seaspn).

Same can be said for Valdes. If you turn down an extension, you should be sold immediately before you can leave ln a free. This whole well I'll stay for one more season then screw the club later makes no sense.
 

Anfield rd Dreamer

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2012
Messages
11,525
Situation just keeps making me remember when we brought Reina in the first place.

Dudek was a hero after the Champions League final and Reina was a highly rated younger keeper, still relatively unproven at top most level and cost a lot of money despite us having (and keeping) an established top level starting keeper.

But just like Reina now Dudek had questions over long term future and consistency/form.

Far too many similarities.

Worked out fantastic then and still had Dudek around for if Reina struggled to settle and take on the mantle.
 



MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Messages
6,065
Simon Mignolet set to sign for Reds today
25 Jun 2013 07:55
£10m keeper due on Merseyside to complete transfer from Sunderland


Simon Mignolet is due on Merseyside today to put the finishing touches on his £10m transfer to Liverpool FC.
The Sunderland goalkeeper is scheduled to undergo a medical at the Reds’ Melwood training ground on Tuesday afternoon, and is expected to agree a five-year contract.
The 24-year-old will become Brendan Rodgers’ fourth signing of a productive summer at Anfield, and will take the Reds’ close-season spending to around £24m.
The deal for Mignolet involves an initial payment of £9m to Sunderland, with another £1m due in performance-related add-ons, based on appearances and achievements. It will make the Belgian the most expensive goalkeeper in the history of the club.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/simon-mignolet-set-sign-liverpool-4707522
 

rab

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
3,273
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Situation just keeps making me remember when we brought Reina in the first place.

Dudek was a hero after the Champions League final and Reina was a highly rated younger keeper, still relatively unproven at top most level and cost a lot of money despite us having (and keeping) an established top level starting keeper.

But just like Reina now Dudek had questions over long term future and consistency/form.

Far too many similarities.

Worked out fantastic then and still had Dudek around for if Reina struggled to settle and take on the mantle.
It didn't work out that well as Dudek was very unhappy at being second choice having just helped us win the Champions League. He barely played all season and wasn't shy of voicing his displeasure in the press. There was no competition between him and Reina for the number one shirt, Rafa obviously didn't like him and he was bombed out having hung around for two years until his contract ran out.
 

Anfield rd Dreamer

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2012
Messages
11,525
rab said:
It didn't work out that well as Dudek was very unhappy at being second choice having just helped us win the Champions League. He barely played all season and wasn't shy of voicing his displeasure in the press. There was no competition between him and Reina for the number one shirt, Rafa obviously didn't like him and he was bombed out having hung around for two years until his contract ran out.
Yeah he was so unhappy with being a number two he went to Real Madrid to be a number two for a lot more money. Funny that. Not questioning his motives at all but maybe if we had offered the same contract as Real did he may of been happy to extend and stay here as a number two?

Maybe I should of phrased it that it worked out fantastic for Liverpool (which is ultimately whats most important, what happens on the pitch) because whether Reina flopped or not we could always turn to Dudek if needed.
 

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
2,472
rab said:
It didn't work out that well as Dudek was very unhappy at being second choice having just helped us win the Champions League. He barely played all season and wasn't shy of voicing his displeasure in the press. There was no competition between him and Reina for the number one shirt, Rafa obviously didn't like him and he was bombed out having hung around for two years until his contract ran out.
That may have had to do with him not leaving a bar and getting beaten up by cops.We never know what happens behind the scenes.Diddnt Dudek leave us and warm a bench somewhere else.
We have 2 good keepers.If 1 gets injured or loses form we have another to come in.Even if it is only for 1 year we have this I do not care it is going to get us points on the board.Reina is in the papers saying he wants to stay coz his family ie wife and kids are settled in.If he moves to France or Germany they talk German and French in shops etc.Barca have 2 keepers and have not made a bid for our keeper.

We are getting upset over having too much talent in a area lol.I am sure there will be unhappy players in the squad no matter what.They can roll their sleeves up and try harder to get in the team or get sold.The club is the most important thing and getting 4th this year is possible.


All the talk about these guys going to a world cup.They are 2nd choice for their countrys and have a better 1st choice in front of them.Rotation rotation rotation

We need 4 strikers for a season.Now we have them.
We need 2 keepers we now have them.
We need cover in midfield and if we get the 2 we are after we have that.
In defence we need Papa and we have that covered.
At last a squad that can do something.I am happy.Lets all be happy.
 

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
6,975
Hope Zaf's got his hands moisturised and ready to have a feel of Simon today.

If this does happen today we've had a very promising start to the window with Alberto and Aspas sorted already.

I'm hoping for a marquee signing however, idealy Mkhitryan.
 



Miklo

TIA's Cruijffonian
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
3,257
Honesty, I think Mignolet fits the team more. We want a goalie in the Dutch, Spanish mold. One that's good with his feet aswell. That doesn't get nervous at short backpasses aswell as being a goalie that is good for the more physical PL. I think Mignolet, from what I've seen, fits that bill more then Begovic. If you talk about pure saves and line keeper and good in the air, Begovic has the notch but we are looking for the one who fits the complete package the most.
 

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
2,472
Mkhitryan And WANYAMA and Papa and get rid of some dead wood Spearing,Jonjo,Coates.
We have then got a squad to fight for us and cope with injuries and fatigue
#In Brendan we trust
 

rab

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
3,273
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Yeah he was so unhappy with being a number two he went to Real Madrid to be a number two for a lot more money. Funny that. Not questioning his motives at all but maybe if we had offered the same contract as Real did he may of been happy to extend and stay here as a number two?

Maybe I should of phrased it that it worked out fantastic for Liverpool (which is ultimately whats most important, what happens on the pitch) because whether Reina flopped or not we could always turn to Dudek if needed.
I think Reina would have had to fall flat on his face for Dudek to be given a chance.

The point I was trying to make is if we're to go down the route of having Mignolet and Reina, just like when we had Dudek and Reina it will only be a matter of time before the one who isn't playing starts making noises about how unhappy they are with the lack of game time they're getting. Much in the same way it only took Lloris a couple of months to start voicing his displeasure at not being number one at Spurs. Lindegaard has shown he's not happy being behind De Gea too. It doesn't make for a harmonious squad particularly as keepers tend to be their own little group within the team and at training.

The other concern I have is that if you have the two dueling for the number one spot, as soon as one makes a mistake there will be people clamoring for the other to be started the next game. Rodgers will be criticised for whoever he starts with at the first sign of a dodgy performance they put in. Will Rodgers have the balls to drop Reina if he starts the season as number one but stuffs up a couple times in the first few weeks? If he starts Mignolet against Stoke and his first few games don't go well what will dropping him that quickly do for his confidence?

I think it's a minefield having a set up with two keepers like this and it will only be a matter of time before it either blows up or has to be changed.
 

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Moderator
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
7,160
I think there is always a higher element of uncertaintly when it comes to keepers.

I remember having Fredial struggling (despite being a good keeper), Westerwald being error prone and Kirkland hardly making a mark injured half the time.

None were bad keepers, but they ultimatly failed during their time here. Look at United Taibi, Bosnich, Barthez, Raimond van der Gouw and half a dozen cheaper keepers before they got it right. Likewise Arsenal where it seems a perpetual problem for them (despite good short periods) .

Many like me are worried that we are creating a possible problem, replacing a player who did not need replacing.
 

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
2,472
If Reina wants to go let him go next year to Barcelona when Valdes contract is up.
At least we have 2 good keepers for a year.Reina is a pro and Brendan has told him he was signing a keeper.
 



darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
2,472
Why dont we just have 1 keeper at the club and no back up.Then when Reina gets injured we just put Agger in goal??
Coz we do not want any 2nd keeper getting upset.Oh my their feelings may get hurt.
 

Anfield rd Dreamer

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2012
Messages
11,525
i_still_miss_fowler said:
I think there is always a higher element of uncertaintly when it comes to keepers.

I remember having Fredial struggling (despite being a good keeper), Westerwald being error prone and Kirkland hardly making a mark injured half the time.

None were bad keepers, but they ultimatly failed during their time here. Look at United Taibi, Bosnich, Barthez, Raimond van der Gouw and half a dozen cheaper keepers before they got it right. Likewise Arsenal where it seems a perpetual problem for them (despite good short periods) .

Many like me are worried that we are creating a possible problem, replacing a player who did not need replacing.
You have just brilliantly explained why we are not replacing Reina yet. Reina is still here for a year if Mignolet does what those others did then we have Reina still. But we look like we are losing Reina next summer so if we wait till then to bring Mignolet or another in and they struggle like you say then we are in the shit aren't we?
 

rab

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
3,273
Lucas or Allen said:
That may have had to do with him not leaving a bar and getting beaten up by cops.We never know what happens behind the scenes.Diddnt Dudek leave us and warm a bench somewhere else.
We have 2 good keepers.If 1 gets injured or loses form we have another to come in.Even if it is only for 1 year we have this I do not care it is going to get us points on the board.Reina is in the papers saying he wants to stay coz his family ie wife and kids are settled in.If he moves to France or Germany they talk German and French in shops etc.Barca have 2 keepers and have not made a bid for our keeper.

We are getting upset over having too much talent in a area lol.I am sure there will be unhappy players in the squad no matter what.They can roll their sleeves up and try harder to get in the team or get sold.The club is the most important thing and getting 4th this year is possible.


All the talk about these guys going to a world cup.They are 2nd choice for their countrys and have a better 1st choice in front of them.Rotation rotation rotation

We need 4 strikers for a season.Now we have them.
We need 2 keepers we now have them.
We need cover in midfield and if we get the 2 we are after we have that.
In defence we need Papa and we have that covered.
At last a squad that can do something.I am happy.Lets all be happy.
Barca have one terrible keeper and one good keeper who is leaving either this summer or next summer. Barca have identified Reina and Ter Stegen as the keepers they would replace them with.

Having two keepers who could be considered first choice rarely if ever works out well. Is there an example or two you could give where a team has two keepers good enough to be first choice in their own right where one isn't unhappy at not getting enough game time?

I'm not unhappy at having depth in the squad but aside from injury or a terrible run of form you rarely see keepers roated or rested except perhaps for cup games. Outfield players exert more energy so therefore need more rest. Outfield players actually come off the bench to replace tiring players or to change the team's dynamic mid game. Outfield players have different skill sets that mean some are better suited to start some games than others. Outfield players suffer more injuries. None of these factors affect keepers as badly hence there's not the need to have two top quality players for that one position.

I like that you say we need depth and yet in your fantasy transfer window fail to address the fact we've only got one left back at the club. Would depth at left back, where Enrique has had some niggling injuries and some patchy form, not be a better option than having that high a quality and expensive back up keeper option sat on the bench? There's a reason every club has a clear number one and a clear back up option in the squad, it's because it works best that way.
 



rab

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
3,273
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
And yet every example you just gave worked out great for the club involved Rab!
Bit different having 40 year old Bosman signing Brad Fridel stepping aside to let Loris have the number one jersey than Pepe Reina and his £100k a week doing the same. Reina would not go as quietly.
 

Anfield rd Dreamer

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2012
Messages
11,525
Rab you have to stop caring about the two guys being happy. Them being happy doesnt matter as much as Liverpool always being able to field a keeper who is 100% motivated to put in every ounce of effort. Id prefer 2 unhappy keepers competing and pushing each other than 1 happy, content keeper in danger of slipping form and standards.
 

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Moderator
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
7,160
Yep I have no real problem with having a transition year, I think thats how a well run club should work.

In this instance I am sceptical about underlying rationale, given weaknesses elswehere in team (ie if its to do with financial saving, or anticipating Pepe wanting to leave, as opposed to simply buying a player upgrade).

Personally I belive he will be sold this summer (which also explains my differing stance)
 

Anfield rd Dreamer

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2012
Messages
11,525
Reina will be number 1 and Mignolet will be number 2 BUT will be given the chance over the season to play his way into the number 1 spot at which point Reina will become number 2 just in time to go to Barca where the same will happen over 2/3 seasons with Ter Stegen.

We won't have two first choice keepers. Just like we didn't have 2 first choice RCB we had Skrtel who Carragher then replaced during the season.
 

rab

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
3,273
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Rab you have to stop caring about the two guys being happy. Them being happy doesnt matter as much as Liverpool always being able to field a keeper who is 100% motivated to put in every ounce of effort. Id prefer 2 unhappy keepers competing and pushing each other than 1 happy, content keeper in danger of slipping form and standards.
And what does that do for moral? Will unhappy players play better or feel demotivated. Players are human, they act based on emotions. Having two good but unhappy keepers would not be what's best for the club and would not get the best out of either player.

Sorry but not caring whether players are happy and motivated is plainly ridiculous. I think on that kind of statement im stepping away from this topic now as we're beyond the point of having a sensible discussion.
 



Anfield rd Dreamer

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2012
Messages
11,525
i_still_miss_fowler said:
Yep I have no real problem with having a transition year, I think thats how a well run club should work.

In this instance I am sceptical about underlying rationale, given weaknesses elswehere in team (ie if its to do with financial saving, or anticipating Pepe wanting to leave, as opposed to simpy buying a player upgrade)
The more and more stories that come out from Spain and get written by good sources like the Echo I think the more likely it becomes that Reina is off to Barca. Most likely next summer but this summer an the winter cant be ruled out especially as Valdes and Monaco seem to be in love with each other. I agree a transition year is the best way to do a long term first choice keeper hand over and for footballing reasons the best thing that could happen for our club is having Reina and Mignolet next season. Just need to worry bout Barca coming in this summer.

rab said:
And what does that do for moral? Will unhappy players play better or feel demotivated. Players are human, they act based on emotions. Having two good but unhappy keepers would not be what's best for the club and would not get the best out of either player.

Sorry but not caring whether players are happy and motivated is plainly ridiculous. I think on that kind of statement im stepping away from this topic now as we're beyond the point of having a sensible discussion.
Never seen two keepers competing against each other and both just become rubbish due to lack of motivation. If anything usually both up their game.
 

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
856
Miklo said:
Honesty, I think Mignolet fits the team more. We want a goalie in the Dutch, Spanish mold. One that's good with his feet aswell. That doesn't get nervous at short backpasses aswell as being a goalie that is good for the more physical PL. I think Mignolet, from what I've seen, fits that bill more then Begovic.
Miklo, do you know this to be the case? I have not seen him as much as others and when I did watch them play I was not as focused on Mignolet. But it was discussed on The Anfield Wrap that he was not as good with his feet and would have to develop that part of his game. Which started me questioning why we are in for him. I would think BR's keeper-sweeper needs to be extremely composed with the ball at his feet.

Can you (or anyone else) provide an objective view on that element of his game?
 

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Messages
6,065
rab said:
Barca have one terrible keeper and one good keeper who is leaving either this summer or next summer. Barca have identified Reina and Ter Stegen as the keepers they would replace them with.

Having two keepers who could be considered first choice rarely if ever works out well. Is there an example or two you could give where a team has two keepers good enough to be first choice in their own right where one isn't unhappy at not getting enough game time?

I'm not unhappy at having depth in the squad but aside from injury or a terrible run of form you rarely see keepers roated or rested except perhaps for cup games. Outfield players exert more energy so therefore need more rest. Outfield players actually come off the bench to replace tiring players or to change the team's dynamic mid game. Outfield players have different skill sets that mean some are better suited to start some games than others. Outfield players suffer more injuries. None of these factors affect keepers as badly hence there's not the need to have two top quality players for that one position.

I like that you say we need depth and yet in your fantasy transfer window fail to address the fact we've only got one left back at the club. Would depth at left back, where Enrique has had some niggling injuries and some patchy form, not be a better option than having that high a quality and expensive back up keeper option sat on the bench? There's a reason every club has a clear number one and a clear back up option in the squad, it's because it works best that way.
Don't know about everyone here but I'm more comfortable switching Johnson to LB and bringing in Kelly at RB than I am using Jones at GK. Do we absolutely need two top quality GKs? No, but we need a better backup than Brad Jones. The benefits of having the experience of Reina will be invaluable to Mignolet even if he starts getting upset at not playing. Besides if we end up buying Mignolet and keeping Reina than surely Simon will have agreed that there was a possibility that he'd be moving clubs to be a backup and have to work his way into the #1 spot? We aren't going to lie to him and say we are going to move heaven and earth to sell Reina off so if he agrees to come here then he agrees to the chance that he'd be a backup initially. If he can't handle sitting on the bench and learning from a top class GK than he's not the guy for us.

Supposedly Ilori can be used at LB even though he's right footed so we will be getting someone that can at least do a job at LB.
 

A True Red From NZ

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2011
Messages
4,309
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Reina will be number 1 and Mignolet will be number 2
Your rationale for this is?
Quite a forceful statement that.
Personally, I see Mignolet as the better keeper at this current point in time.
 

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
21,155
I'm not sure I buy this 'competion' business when it comes to keepers.

If a keeper cannot perform without another keeper pressuring him, then he shouldn't be here at all. I would have hoped being paid 100k to play for a club as prestigious as LFC would be it's own motivation, and our keeper would be more professional than to require a push of a competitor to do his best.

I'm also not sure the pressure would be that useful. You're horribly exposed as a keeper - no one remembers a misplaced pass, but everyone remembers you letting the ball squirm through your arms to gift a goal. The last thing you want is to think that if you make a mistake you're going to get bombed out.

I still think that, despite the posturing from the club, if we sign Mignolet - as looks likely - Reina is done. He is too good to sit on the bench, and paid too much.
 



Status
Not open for further replies.