• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Simon Mignolet (GK) Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2012
Messages
11,525
Our club has changed a hell of a lot in last decade hasn't it?

Over ten years ago we brought in Dudek for £5.5 million to replace Westerveld as number 1. Moved Arphexad from 2nd choice to 3rd choice because he wasnt good enough 2nd choice and bought young promising Kirkland for £6 million rising to £9 million. In todays money thats probably a combined outlay of over £30 million with football inflation.

Not a raised eyebrow.

Now? £9 million is a waste of money when we already have a decent keeper.
 


gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2010
Messages
5,725
My guess on the situation (the only way it would make sense based on recent development):

Valdes persist not to extend further contract so mostly he will be gone either during this transfer window or the winter one. Barcelona contacted us on the availability of Reina. BR realised that we won't be able to keep him, and after consulting with Reina, decided that we will get a potential keeper (Mignolet) here first, then have pre-contract with Barcelona on the selling of Reina within this final year of Valdes contract.


Basically it is a case of two clubs (Barcelona, Liverpool) sharing 3 GKs (Valdes, Reina, Mignolet) until Valdes starts his move. Make no mistake, staying until winter could land Valdes a La Liga or another CL medal, depending on Barcelona form. While Reina could prove great support for the club until Mignolet bedding in, and wait another year at most for Barcelona is not an issue
 

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
915
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Our club has changed a hell of a lot in last decade hasn't it?

Over ten years ago we brought in Dudek for £5.5 million to replace Westerveld as number 1. Moved Arphexad from 2nd choice to 3rd choice because he wasnt good enough 2nd choice and bought young promising Kirkland for £6 million rising to £9 million. In todays money thats probably a combined outlay of over £30 million with football inflation.

Not a raised eyebrow.

Now? £9 million is a waste of money when we already have a decent keeper.
9m is a waste for somebody to sit on the bench when you have glaring holes in other places. Now, assuming those holes get filled, I'm well up for building the squad. Surely you see the point some are making? If there's a choice between Reina with Mignolet on the bench, or Reina and Papadopoulos starting, you've surely got to agree that the best way to improve the side and help us progress is the latter?
 

Anfield rd Dreamer

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2012
Messages
11,525
Cortez said:
9m is a waste for somebody to sit on the bench when you have glaring holes in other places. Now, assuming those holes get filled, I'm well up for building the squad. Surely you see the point some are making? If there's a choice between Reina with Mignolet on the bench, or Reina and Papadopoulos starting, you've surely got to agree that the best way to improve the side and help us progress is the latter?
But what makes people think Rodgers doesnt have the money for both? When take into account selling Reina and buying a decent enough back up for Mignolet we are probably talking maximum of £5 million difference here.
 

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
2,472
When Downing and Shelvey were told by Brendan he did not see them in his plans they got their finger out and visibly made more of a effort.Competition is what Pepe needs as he was not at his best for a few years now.
People are complaining about having 2 good keepers.Nice complaint to have.Next we will be complaining we have 4 strikers now and not just Suarez and Borini to start the season with like the start of this season.
 



Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
915
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Anfield rd Dreamer, on 25 Jun 2013 - 7:07 PM, said:
But what makes people think Rodgers doesnt have the money for both? When take into account selling Reina and buying a decent enough back up for Mignolet we are probably talking maximum of £5 million difference here.
You didn't answer my question ;)

Yeah, it might be the case that we're paying £9m for a player to sit on the bench. Maybe we'll put Reina on the bench and pay him 100k to do it. It's not typical FSG, though. I think that's pretty clear. If he has loads of money to spend, and can fill all the first team outfield positions, and FSG have changed their stance on wages and youth, then it might well happen.
 
S

showmethemoney

Guest
To be announced within the next hour.

Simon Mignolet is a Liverpool FC player.
 

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
6,973
The lengths some idiots go on twitter is just laughable.

People tweeting that Mignolet failed his medical! haha
 



MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Messages
6,065
Mignolet has had several discussions with Brendan Rodgers over recent days and is confident he can adapt to how his new manager likes to play football.
"Back in Belgium, the goalies always train to play with the ball at their feet," he said. "We join in most of the time, playing more with our feet than with our hands. I'm used to this.
Sounds good so far.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.