Simon Mignolet (GK) Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

brush85

Lucas said:
Every player needs training up, 25 is still young for a goalkeeper. Like you say, he has league experience, but he still needs to learn how to play in our system, as the 'keeper has a massively increased role.
He wants to play World Cup next summer. No chance he leaves a certain starting job to sit on the bench. If he comes, he will be the main man and at 25, he is of the perfect age to start a hopeful 7-8 year run as our main Keeper.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
RedSouthIndian said:
A good signing when it happens!! Mignolet was one of the 'keepers of last season, perhaps second only to Begovic. With due respect to Pepe Reina, he has not been at his best since the last two seasons even though his form improved over the last 5-6 months of last season. Perhaps, he yearns for a change!!

So the BR rebuilding goes on....Can't really wait for next season to start really!!
See I'm sceptical about the stats used to judge Goalkeepers. Clubs like Stoke and Sunderland are bound to concede a ton of shots on goal therefore their keepers will get more chances to make saves. How will they do standing around for 10 minutes without a thing to do and then be forced to make a save? Are they mentally strong? There aren't any stats for this.

soberphobia

Cortez said:
I think people are in for a shock if they expect Pepe to still be around.
Agree with this. Smacks of a deal with Reina already being agreed to whilst not made public until we find a replacement. I would be very happy if this were the case

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
Really wanted Pepe around for another season, as I've just always been a fan of him as a person and love having him around the Club.

From a pure performance perspective, I'm not bothered if we swap Mignolet for Reina.

Wonder if this is more to do with Reina wanting to move to Spain or Liverpool concerned with long term health?

Could be a risk reduction move, as Mignolet may be more likely to play the entire season than Reina. Think we all know if Jones has to start 10 EPL games, we're not making a top 4 run.

rab

Lucas said:
Every player needs training up, 25 is still young for a goalkeeper. Like you say, he has league experience, but he still needs to learn how to play in our system, as the 'keeper has a massively increased role.
It's two to three years older than Reina when he arrived who went straight into the first team and has been there for seven years since. It's not the same as Chelsea did with Courtis or City did with Hart where you've bought a really young keeper who needs a couple years to develop before he could challenge the established number one. United bought a young keeper and played him from the off, Cech was just 22 but went straight in at number one. 25 is the age Neuer was when he went to Bayern

I might be wrong but I don't see us spending £10m on a keeper of his age and experience to have him sit and learn from Reina for a year. I'd also question the value of playing Reina for another season if we already know for certain that he's leaving next summer. We'd be better off getting the new guy in and playing as soon as possible.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
So, it's one of these 3 scenarios:

1. Pepe is gone, now/this summer and we are only getting Simon with only Brad as back up
2. Pepe is staying 1 season to "Hand over" the reign to Simon, with Brad dropping to 3rd, and then replacing Brad with a new keeper in Summer 14
3. Pepe is gone, now/this summer and we are getting 2 keepers (Simon + another one, dropping Brad to #3)

Even though I love Brad, a great guy and servant to our club, I'm hoping for either #2 or 3.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Jack Sear ‏@JackSear 30m
Ben Smith has always said that we're actively looking to sell Reina because of the money he's on.
We are all overlooking the fact that if Pepe is sold then we're losing another leader in the team. We are a young side with very few leaders as it is so losing Reina is going to hurt.

Drian

TIA Youth Team
Reds eye Mignolet transfer as Reina doubts persist

Sunderland goalkeeper would cost around £9m, but no deal agreed yet

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-eye-9m-simon-4324143?

Liverpool FC are interested in bringing Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet to Anfield this summer – but say no deal has been agreed at this stage.

The Belgian has emerged as a strong target for the Reds, with doubts persisting about Pepe Reina's future on Merseyside.

Reina has long been linked with a move to Barcelona, and Liverpool are braced for the Spaniard's departure in the coming weeks.

The club have been busy making contingency plans for the 30-year-old's exit.

Mignolet, 24, is the man they have identified as his replacement.

The Reds also looked at Swansea's Michel Vorm and Manchester City's Costel Pantillimon, among others, but are confident they can agree a deal worth around £9m for the highly-rated Mignolet.

The club insist, however, that nothing has been finalised yet, though it is understood that Sunderland are willing to sell the Belgian, as they seek to boost their own summer transfer kitty.

Mignolet has been capped 13 times by his country, and made 40 appearances for the Black Cats last season.

He has played 101 times for Sunderland since moving to the club in 2010.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
LFC-Orlando said:
So, it's one of these 3 scenarios:

1. Pepe is gone, now/this summer and we are only getting Simon with only Brad as back up
2. Pepe is staying 1 season to "Hand over" the reign to Simon, with Brad dropping to 3rd, and then replacing Brad with a new keeper in Summer 14
3. Pepe is gone, now/this summer and we are getting 2 keepers (Simon + another one, dropping Brad to #3)

Even though I love Brad, a great guy and servant to our club, I'm hoping for either #2 or 3.
2 but with Brad Jones most likely to move on this summer and another keeper bought next season when Reina moves on and Mignolet is settled as number one.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Zinedine Biscan said:
Or it could be that Sunderland's porous defence was shipping a ton more corners and the like than ours, and he got more opportunities to claim the ball than Pepe did.

Just saying it's hard to judge one way or another from the bare stats.
Yeah but he still didn't fail at any regardless, they had a lot but he claimed them all, that is impressive regardless.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
2 but with Brad Jones most likely to move on this summer and another keeper bought next season when Reina moves on and Mignolet is settled as number one.
Perhaps even keeping Reina till January then selling him to Barcelona giving us and Mignolet half a season to get settled. Same effect at Barcelona with Valdez said to be leaving next summer on a free. This will give Pepe 6 months to work under Valdez, not that he'd need it.

If Pepe gets sold and Skrtel too then we're going to have a bunch of new players to fit into our backline. We can say good bye to a good start to the season then.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
If Pepe goes I would like an understudy to come in regardless I don't mind Mignolet but I really would still like us to look at a 20 or so year old goalie.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
MarlboroMan said:
(...)

If Pepe gets sold and Skrtel too then we're going to have a bunch of new players to fit into our backline. We can say good bye to a good start to the season then.
My concern as well. We need stability above all other things this summer. Losing key players won't do us any good, and Reina definitely is one. So I really hope he can be persuaded to stay at least one season more, regardless of what happens with Mignolet.

And now that lad Mignolet: is he any good? Has anyone see him play life on a regular basis?

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
MarlboroMan said:
Yep, just like we said goodbye to scoring goals when Coutinho and Sturridge arrived.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Hope in your heart said:
My concern as well. We need stability above all other things this summer. Losing key players won't do us any good, and Reina definitely is one. So I really hope he can be persuaded to stay at least one season more, regardless of what happens with Mignolet.

And now that lad Mignolet: is he any good? Has anyone see him play life on a regular basis?
His stats are great and that has pleased plenty here. :)

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
are you serious? he was only one of the best keepers in the league if not the best last season.

I want Reina to stay but if he leaves... both Mignolet or Begovic would be awesome replacements. they are both better than Pepe...

we would be very lucky to get Mignolet or Begovic imo

http://youtu.be/Y7H8OBjXqWk

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
why is Brad Jones likely to move this summer? where have you read or heard that?

I'm pretty much with Rab on this, i dont see Mignolet coming in as back up. I think that is just another example of you making up one of your fantasy football squads again.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Lucky? What are we Hull City? He's the lucky one, and Begovic too would be lucky to even be linked with us.

Lucky..... sheesh.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
MarlboroMan said:
We are all overlooking the fact that if Pepe is sold then we're losing another leader in the team. We are a young side with very few leaders as it is so losing Reina is going to hurt.
I don't see him as a leader. A big character sure but he's too introspective to be a proper leader I feel, just doesn't have enough self assurance.

Mignolet doesn't come across as a shrinking violet anyway, it wouldn't be a serious concern for me.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
mattyhurst said:
Yeah but he still didn't fail at any regardless, they had a lot but he claimed them all, that is impressive regardless.
True.

I'm sure he's a good keeper. Is he Pepe good? No idea.

For me, Pepe's greatest strengths are organisation, communication with his defence and bossing his area... difficult to prove via stats how good Mignolet is in those regards.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Zinedine Biscan said:
True.

I'm sure he's a good keeper. Is he Pepe good? No idea.
I saw him twice last season he impressed me, Sunderland didn't mind. Saying that I saw Alex McCarthy at Reading twice and he looked pretty unbeatable, he actually might be a good number 2 and would probably be up for that.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Just watching that youtube video posted above, one thing that worries me is the amount of times he saves the ball but is palming/punching it back into the danger zone.

Pepe may no longer be the best but he's a leader and an integral part of the squad. I'd rather not lose that, esp when we've just lost Carra, are getting new CBs in, and Suarez may also be gone. Pepe's leadership qualities can't be replaced I don't feel. Hence I like the idea of a transition player coming in.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
I'm of two minds on this... if we are going to change, change big. Let's get any defensive replacement in early as well. We should compress the schedule that these guys need to adjust by having them all in at one go. It could be better than staggered changes over a couple windows (or even months of the transfer window), which could actually hamper us even more.

If we are just going to make tweaks then I don't think we should bring in more than a couple more players otherwise we will be neither here nor there in terms of our rebuilding plans and how settled the players are.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
redfanman said:
why is Brad Jones likely to move this summer? where have you read or heard that?

I'm pretty much with Rab on this, i dont see Mignolet coming in as back up. I think that is just another example of you making up one of your fantasy football squads again.
Brad Jones was brought in to be number two in H&Gs last summer here during the time the club was being diminished in terms of assets I doubt he would of ever been brought in as a number 2. Love the guy to bits personality wise but ability wise he isnt a number 2 at a top side. Kenny and Comolli realised that straight away and brought in a proper number 2 in Doni and if tragic circumstances weren't hitting the Jones family at the time I imagine he would of been moved on however Hansen the third choice was instead and Jones was made third choice. Since the problems with Doni he has ended up 2nd choice again by default. Only options I see for Jones is stay as number 3 or move on. There are clubs he could start at and he could become Australias number 1 if he did. Would shock me if he is number 2 next year.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Brad Jones was brought in to be number two in H&Gs last summer here during the time the club was being diminished in terms of assets I doubt he would of ever been brought in as a number 2. Love the guy to bits personality wise but ability wise he isnt a number 2 at a top side. Kenny and Comolli realised that straight away and brought in a proper number 2 in Doni and if tragic circumstances weren't hitting the Jones family at the time I imagine he would of been moved on however Hansen the third choice was instead and Jones was made third choice. Since the problems with Doni he has ended up 2nd choice again by default. Only options I see for Jones is stay as number 3 or move on. There are clubs he could start at and he could become Australias number 1 if he did. Would shock me if he is number 2 next year.
But why would Mignolet come in if he's going to be number 2? The world cup is coming up and being a number two goalkeeper at liverpool isn't how you maintain you #1 spot for your national team.

Cortez said:
Yep, just like we said goodbye to scoring goals when Coutinho and Sturridge arrived.
I don't think anyone said that.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
If Mignolet is signed then Pepe must be on his way I feel. Cant see us paying 8Mil for a back up keeper.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Never Say Never said:
But why would Mignolet come in if he's going to be number 2? The world cup is coming up and being a number two goalkeeper at liverpool isn't how you maintain you #1 spot for your national team.

I don't think anyone said that.
Said it till im blue in the face.

Courtois is the Belgian number 1.

By far the best keeper in Spain by a country mile last year and if Cech wasnt such a huge part of the Chelsea squad whilst still being a great keeper himself Courtois would be starting for them next year.

Unless Courtois picks up an injury or Mignolet finds a magic lamp Courtois will be the number one at the world cup the lad is amazing and will soon be talked about as one of the top keepers on the planet.

So no, no matter what Mignolet does (world cup year or not) Mignolet is not going to reclaim his place.

The other Belgian keepers are shocking too so Mignolet as a proven good keeper (even if he sat on our bench without playing all season which is unlikely) will still go the world cup as second choice.

Best thing Mignolet could do this summer is move to a top team like us where the keeper position is under long term uncertainty and try and play his way into the number 1 spot.

His options seem to be us or Arsenal to compete with Chesney Hawkes or Pepe Reina.

If I was him Id fancy my chances of both so it comes down to choosing which club you think will be best choice long term.

Keepers dont move around as much as outfield players generally so thats what he needs to think about.

Reina is less likely to be a long term rival than the "one and only" is which may give us an edge.

Don't think he is as good as Begovic and would much rather Reina stayed if it means that Mignolet is going to be his replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.