Simon Mignolet (GK) Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Mignolet is one of my favourite goalkeepers today, mainly because I always expected him to become a candidate to replace Pepe one day. And because he's very good.

Belgian international, young, driven to succeed, excellent reflexes, decent with the ball, quick, good in one-on-one situations, very similar to Reina in stature and style and much better than Pepe over last two seasons.

Now, getting players whose form is better isn't a difficult task and therefore shouldn't be the criterion we should judge potential replacements by but Mignolet is very talented, he worked hard to become what he is even though his build isn't something you'd expect from a PL goalie. He also played in a team that regularly find itself under the cosh and he came out from it unscathed. The only bad performance of him I remember is Aston Villa's recent drubbing of Sunderland - he was rather poor, not closing his angle and not coming out quick off the line.

Under ten million pounds, he'd be a very good addition as he doesn't shy from expectations and seems to be driving himself to become no. 1 of an extremely talented and now upcoming national team, as well as of a big club.

If we get him, I hope we get a new goalkeeping coach, the one who is more suited to goalkeepers who aren't that tall but are very quick and good at distributing the ball.

I don't know what this means for Reina, though. It seemed that he wouldn't be going to Barcelona this summer but this purchase suggests otherwise. Whatever happens, I want only the best for club and also for the player, if possible, because he's been a great servant to this club and helped us through tough times.

rab

We've so often bemoaned the fact we've sold players first and then gone out to try and find a replacement. To me this smacks of us having learned a lesson, we know Pepe is going and we're getting our replacement lined up before confirming the sale of Reina so we don't come across as a desperate buyer and get shafted on the deal. That and we know Arsenal are interested to so have made our move early.

Would still expect another keeper to potentially come in what with Doni going last summer and Gulacsi this year. Either an experienced head happy to sit on the bench, someone like Schwarzer for example or a younger keeper that we can try and develop. Someone like Jason Steele at Boro is a player we've had links with in the past that might fit the bill.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
rab said:
We've so often bemoaned the fact we've sold players first and then gone out to try and find a replacement. To me this smacks of us having learned a lesson, we know Pepe is going and we're getting our replacement lined up before confirming the sale of Reina so we don't come across as a desperate buyer and get shafted on the deal. That and we know Arsenal are interested to so have made our move early.

Would still expect another keeper to potentially come in what with Doni going last summer and Gulacsi this year. Either an experienced head happy to sit on the bench, someone like Schwarzer for example or a younger keeper that we can try and develop. Someone like Jason Steele at Boro is a player we've had links with in the past that might fit the bill.
If the club know that Reina is leaving this summer then it makes sense to get a replacement sorted before he goes. The club has been caught with its pants down all too often before in situations like this before.

Red Island

If he is affordable,willing to come knowing full well the circumstances and is available then why would anyone not want him??

Its not a massive amount money, he would be great to have in the squad and surely it gives the defense confidence to have someone like Mignolet come on if needed.And it may be we need every bit of stability and confidence when bedding in a new back line next season.

In every walk of life competition produces better results from everyone so it might improve Pepe's form next season so its win win for LFC. If Simon Mignolet has decided to take his chances with us then hey who are we to worry about it and Id certainly love him as our new Number whatever.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
The only logical reason i see this happening is because Reina is leaving. Considering our tight budget, GK is on low priority list. We have a good backup in jones. Clearly the priorities this summer are CB,Mid And attacking striker/wingers. 8mp is an awful lot of money for a backup keeper. Begovic is better than Mignolet.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
indianscouser said:
The only logical reason i see this happening is because Reina is leaving. Considering our tight budget, GK is on low priority list. We have a good backup in jones. Clearly the priorities this summer are CB,Mid And attacking striker/wingers. 8mp is an awful lot of money for a backup keeper. Begovic is better than Mignolet.
I've seen prices of £15m bandied about for Bergovic. If or rather when Pepe leaves we'll be re-investing it in Mignolet. The extra £7m or so we'd have to come up with to get Bergovic would pay for Luis Alberto or Iago.

Is Bergovic really that superior to Mignolet?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
indianscouser said:
Considering our tight budget, GK is on low priority list. We have a good backup in jones.
GK should never be low on priority list. Reina has had debatable form for last few seasons and has questions marks over how long he will be here. If you have an issue at GK then you should fix it as soon as you can and for the long term if possible.

Also cant agree that Jones is a good backup as much as I like him and he is an ok player but lets face it QPR got relegated with two better keepers in Green and Cesar. If you listed last seasons 2nd choice keepers Im not sure if Jones would avoid coming bottom.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
To me its fixing something which isnt broke.

The potential benifits of Mignolet are not that great over Pepe (if at all), but when coupled with the expected changes in our backline (2 or 3 new center backs), it adds to the probablity that it could backfire massivly.

Perhaps Rodgers is changing everything with one fell swoop like ripping off and band aid. But cant help but think we will be relying upon the fitness of Agger more than ever as we go through this transition.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I think I'd rather have jones than green tbh, dreadful keeper

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
£8m if reported is true.
the price might be down to how long he has on his contract and he is an international goal keeper.
I would really like Pepe to stay he seems to be very good round the dressing room and very vocal to his defence and could be a good vice captain.
If Mignolet does come in then he has to fight for a first team shirt like everyone else.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
jayrrardno8 said:
If Mignolet does come in then he has to fight for a first team shirt like everyone else.
In a perfect world thats how it should be for every single position in the side. More than one top class option for every position in the 11. That wont obviously happen straight away but outfielders can provide at least some kind of cover for other positions and we have some talented young outfielders coming through the academy. Its not like you can stick a striker or a full back in goal in emergency situations and dont think any of our academy keepers are anywhere near ready yet.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Brad Jones was brought in to be number two in H&Gs last summer here during the time the club was being diminished in terms of assets I doubt he would of ever been brought in as a number 2. Love the guy to bits personality wise but ability wise he isnt a number 2 at a top side. Kenny and Comolli realised that straight away and brought in a proper number 2 in Doni and if tragic circumstances weren't hitting the Jones family at the time I imagine he would of been moved on however Hansen the third choice was instead and Jones was made third choice. Since the problems with Doni he has ended up 2nd choice again by default. Only options I see for Jones is stay as number 3 or move on. There are clubs he could start at and he could become Australias number 1 if he did. Would shock me if he is number 2 next year.
Very harsh indeed.

Jones has played many first team games for Boro before he joined us. To say Hansen got moved on because of the tragic circumstances that fell on the Jones family is disrespectful to LFC, Kenny and Jones himself.

We all accept that Jones is no Reina, Brucie or Ray Clemence - He is however a decent No 2 that came in and did well for us.

he was bought as a number 2 and as such it was money well spent.

The fact that we are now seriously considering buying a top goalkeeper tells me that Brendan has accepted that Pepe is off or has lost faith in him and wants to move him on. Whichever it is I don't know but no matter what happens things are changing

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
OLDIE said:
Very harsh indeed.

Jones has played many first team games for Boro before he joined us. To say Hansen got moved on because of the tragic circumstances that fell on the Jones family is disrespectful to LFC, Kenny and Jones himself.

We all accept that Jones is no Reina, Brucie or Ray Clemence - He is however a decent No 2 that came in and did well for us.

he was bought as a number 2 and as such it was money well spent.

The fact that we are now seriously considering buying a top goalkeeper tells me that Brendan has accepted that Pepe is off or has lost faith in him and wants to move him on. Whichever it is I don't know but no matter what happens things are changing
Not trying to be harsh at all Jones is a great guy love him but he isnt good enough to be a second choice keeper for a club Liverpools size.

Kenny and Comolli realised that which is why they went and got a new number 2 in Doni.

At the time Jones was going through the terrible loss of a child there is no way any club would have been heartless enough to ditch him and not like they could have sold him but they didnt need four keepers so it was Hansen moved on (the old third choice) and Jones became the new third choice.

If Jones wasnt good enough to be number two then he isnt now.

Would personally be happy if he wants to stay around as third choice but that will be up to him I think.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
If you think Jones has anything to do with Hansen being moved I'd hazard a guess that you didn't watch the ressies much when he was keeping. Awful for years. Wouldn't get near tranmere's side. He wouldn't even make the bench.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Interesting to see where this all goes,seems to me that is Mignolet comes in and Pepe goes we are where we are now,1st choice and Jones as backup,don't believe we are going to bring in two Keepers.

I would hope the plan is to have those two competing for the top spot and that,in time Pepe will possibly go and then the backup arises again.
Like Jones but he's not #2 material for me.
Assume that Mignolet is ambitious but I would rather Reina stays and Mignolet comes in knowing he is #2 but it is all down to him as to where and when he takes the #1 mantle.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
We're also being linked with Rui Patricio of Sporting Lisbon, who is 25 and has 23 caps for Portugal. If, as seems likely, we sign Mignolet I doubt if we would also go for a goalie of Patricio's standing, but you never know. If Reina does leave this summer maybe we'll buy two goalies to fight over being first choice, and may the best man win.

Red Island

i_still_miss_fowler said:
To me its fixing something which isnt broke.

The potential benifits of Mignolet are not that great over Pepe (if at all), but when coupled with the expected changes in our backline (2 or 3 new center backs), it adds to the probablity that it could backfire massivly.

Perhaps Rodgers is changing everything with one fell swoop like ripping off and band aid. But cant help but think we will be relying upon the fitness of Agger more than ever as we go through this transition.
Why? is this assuming that Pepe is going? What would you think of Mignolet over Brad Jones?

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
We all know that you dont spend 10M on a reserve keeper. If Mignolet comes he will almost certainly be a replacement for Pepe.

If he is not a replacement and simply a backup, then it is a waste of resources. 10M could be set aside for a defensive midfielder, or perhaps a left back ?

With all the cost cutting, spending this much on a back up (when we are not in europe) would be an extravagance.

i_still_miss_fowler said:
We all know that you dont spend 10M on a reserve keeper. If Mignolet comes he will almost certainly be a replacement for Pepe.

If he is not a replacement and simply a backup, then it is a waste of resources. 10M could be set aside for a defensive midfielder, or perhaps a left back ?

With all the cost cutting, spending this much on a back up (when we are not in europe) would be an extravagance.
Have to agree with the logic here. For the amount of money being suggested this is not a reserve keeper purchase. Additionally Mignolet is not going to sign to sit on the bench, especially with a World Cup coming up!

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Yep, of we sign this fella Reina will be off, and probably to fight it out with Valdez for the no 1 spot before he leaves next year. Barcelona are ok with having 2 good keepers but get the feeling we aren't inclined to do that, for financial reasons as much as anything. Paying 10m for a back up is a very un FSG thing to do, can't see it in a million years. Not really a criticism as such though would be nice to have a handover situation in an ideal world, but with holes to fill, the 10m could be used for someone we can stick in the team now

So if Mignolet comes at 10m, he's our no 1 I reckon. He's decent though, my Sunderland mate reckons he's improved incrementally year on year and will be disappointed to lose him, but reckons he's a fine keeper above the level of his own club potential wise. Unlike in other positions, there are some good keepers in the prem at all levels really. Though would rather hold on to Reina and wonder if he leaves whether he's being dispensed with a year earlier than planned for wage reasons, his last few seasons form has not made him indispensable, he's started to pick up niggles and one day we will need to move on. But it is another first team player gone and its a bit of a concern but hopefully this fella who has the motivation of fighting for the no 1 shirt for the WC with Belgium will be a decent replacement

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
If signing this guy and yet still have Reina as 1st choice made any sense, then probably the closest similarity I can see is this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2203302/Spurs-pick-Brad-Friedel-ahead-Hugo-Lloris-Reading-game.html

Either we know Reina is not going to stay in this club for long, maybe next season or next 2 seasons he is off and indeed one day Reina is going to retire or he might want to be back in his homeland at a certain age. We might want to to provide quality competition to him just like any other player in the squad should be. And Mignolet knows that he is young and just like Lloris will be the future of the club if he comes. Reina will stay but I do not think he will stay till he retires. I think its a matter of convincing and appealing to Mignolets' ambitions and see whether he is patient and competitive enough.

blaze

Faith.
RichLFC said:
Yep, of we sign this fella Reina will be off, and probably to fight it out with Valdez for the no 1 spot before he leaves next year. Barcelona are ok with having 2 good keepers but get the feeling we aren't inclined to do that, for financial reasons as much as anything. Paying 10m for a back up is a very un FSG thing to do, can't see it in a million years. Not really a criticism as such though would be nice to have a handover situation in an ideal world, but with holes to fill, the 10m could be used for someone we can stick in the team now

So if Mignolet comes at 10m, he's our no 1 I reckon. He's decent though, my Sunderland mate reckons he's improved incrementally year on year and will be disappointed to lose him, but reckons he's a fine keeper above the level of his own club potential wise. Unlike in other positions, there are some good keepers in the prem at all levels really. Though would rather hold on to Reina and wonder if he leaves whether he's being dispensed with a year earlier than planned for wage reasons, his last few seasons form has not made him indispensable, he's started to pick up niggles and one day we will need to move on. But it is another first team player gone and its a bit of a concern but hopefully this fella who has the motivation of fighting for the no 1 shirt for the WC with Belgium will be a decent replacement
I dont think signing Mingolet definitely means Reaina is off. I think we are just being shrewd and signing a good keeper when the market is good. Except Barca notmany top teams are looking for a keeper while players like Begivic, Patricio and Mingolet have reached maturity at their clubs and are looking to move. Right now it is a buyers market and it is best if we make a move now.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
I can't see Reina or Mignolet being happy to fight for a first team slot; Pepe would rightly believe that he's too good to play second fiddle to a new kid on the block and I can't imagine Mignolet being happy to sit on the bench for extended periods, given that the main reason he sites for wanting to leave Sunderland is to further his career, which he won't do by merely being Pepe's understudy. He also wants to become his country's first choice keeper at the WC next year and for that he needs the exposure of playing a lot of games; he won't get that either if Pepe's still here.

Everything points to a 'Reina out, Mignolet in' scenario for me.

steve10

TIA New Signing
I cannot see us having 2 first choice keepers. Reina must be off to either Barcelona or Napoli if we are signing Mignolet. We haven't got that kind of money plus there are more priority areas on the pitch to fill rather than the goalie position.

ryanhsmith

Cortez said:
Got a link, mate? I can't find this link to Real.
Sorry, got mixed up, the Carroll to west ham for £15million was BBC, this real Madrid link was on the LFC match and news Center and the source was Maia or something, a Spanish newspaper.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Hopefully we haven't paid 10 million for a bench warmer who gets a few league cup games. Doesn't make any sense at all. Obviously Reina has given notice that he is off....

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
If we sign Mignolet ...then Reina will probably be off, I'd strongly feel.

Barca, Monaco, Napoli, Arsenal etc all potentially looking for keepers. Perhaps it's a bit wages-based (with Reina on a reported 100K+ a week) and surely with Mignolet looking for a third of that at most. Still, to change keepers, the manager would also have to sign-off on it and would thus have to believe that Mignolet was at least of comparable quality. I would think that Mignolet is currently at least at Pepe's level i.e. much better at high balls and far better at the near post and maybe also on reflexes - while somewhat less at being vocal, less at (long) distribution skills and also a little hesitant when one-on-one ( aka whether to retreat-or-commit). No doubt though that Mignolet's star is rising fast, and he's improving year-on-year. Most Belgian friends that I speak to are very glowing in their praise of Mignolet. Of course, they're naturally biased a bit ...but they also tend to think that LFC seem to (generally) be getting better in the transfer market in the last couple of windows.

Mignolet would probably not come (even to a club as big as LFC) without first team football in the first place, and there are some quotes out there from Pepe's agent (Manuel Quillon) in January when he had some general discussions with LFC (re: Reina) amongst other matters about a possible new contract and about the importance of Reina being the continued first choice GK.

Manuel Quillon is also Rafa's agent (by-the-way) and Napoli will also probably be looking for a GK this summer (as will Monaco). Doubt that Pepe would really willingly look for either move, but if he's made aware that he's probably going to become second-choice, then it could still happen quickly ...and the savings in wages alone (aka of 3m, which does seem to be a big theme with FSG) could reduce the 10m Mignolet signing to just 7m in the first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.