Simon Mignolet (GK) to Besiktas and Barcelona ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Migs going on loan? :indifferent:

Mignolet on Brink of Exit

Simon Mignolet is on the brink of signing for Besiktas, our friends at Turkish Football say.

The stopper - who signed for Liverpool in 2013 - has fallen down the pecking order following the arrival of Alisson and is expected to be allowed to leave.

Fotomac claim an agreement has been reached with the Turkish club for a season-long loan deal. Besiktas will also possess the option to sign Mignolet permanently at the end of the season.

The report says talks are now at an advanced stage and confirmation could be given within the next several days.

Nico Vaesen, Mignolet’s agent, also confirmed his client has had offers from Super Lig sides - as well as other European interest.

“We are in talks with several clubs,” Vaesen said. “The offers are starting to become more clear.

“Turkey is not the only country we have received offers from and it is worth remembering he has a long-term contract.

“We will see what happens next.”

Sweeting

There is no way a Turkish club will buy him outright. They're a nightmare to deal with, similar to Italian clubs - offer £10m, have it accepted, change bid to £8m, negotiate, agree it all, change bid to a loan with an option to sign for £2m and we pay all his wages.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
I'm not saying alisson isn't but Klopp will want 2 hungry keepers who will battle for the shirt. If Karius thinks he can't dislodge alisson then there's no point him being in the bench.
No that's not the case anymore... Klopp has already said in several interviews that he hasn't bought the Brasilian no 1 "to fight for his place". :rolleyes:

"We brought in Alisson and it is clear that he will be our number one," Klopp told Sky Sports. "Otherwise, you don't pay that kind of money.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/klopp-c...ds-karius-anfield-/1b0qmk7589an311pqt06p2vz12

T.C.B

Loan to buy deal.....................they always work out well for Liverpool don't they?

Redopium

It will be great to see the back of migs, a fairly useless goalkeeper and only 12m says it all, fingers crossed he gone.

dockers_strike

Started out so well for Mignolet too, saving that walters last minute pen on his debut to make sure we took 3 points. I dont what it is with him, lack of concentration or Achterberg's legendary coaching but he just makes too many unforced errors.

Wish him well wherever he goes though.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
That's what you get when you give Mignolet in 2016 a new 5-year deal and he's fundamentally not a goalkeeper for competitive sides + even more so when he gets older.

;-)

Joke aside (he was good for us in helping us getting back to top 4), but still... we see now that it can take time for Klopp to clean the house and get rid of all the rubbish from the past.

Limiescouse

It will be great to see the back of migs, a fairly useless goalkeeper and only 12m says it all, fingers crossed he gone.
He is a thoroughly decent guy who has handled what has been a difficult and demoralizing situation with dignity and class. Karius looked a better keeper for our needs, and we now hope Alisson will be a further step forward. That is football. But this sort of personal criticism is not appropriate.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
sick of these loan deals - probably the option to buy is just so the Turkish club can get out of a loan fee: we'll end up with him back in the summer broken or they'll want to renegotiate the fee down. Can't we get some money up front for these guys!

Noo Noo

sick of these loan deals - probably the option to buy is just so the Turkish club can get out of a loan fee: we'll end up with him back in the summer broken or they'll want to renegotiate the fee down. Can't we get some money up front for these guys!
Indeed. I hope he doesn't do a Joe Hart and basically plummet from the face of the earth.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
If he’s got a chance of going, I just hope he doesn’t let the pen keep slipping through his fingers. ;-)

Joking aside, Migs needs to be playing regular first team football which is clearly not going to be for LFC. Its best for all parties that he moves on to another club asap and I wish him the best of luck for the future. :-)

Red over the water

Good luck to Mingo when he goes. Never a great goalkeeper for us, but at his best he had his decent moments. As the style has evolved it became apparent that he wasn't a great fit, and then even more so as the quality of the overall team has gone through the roof.

A clever man and a proud man. I can't recall him doing anything to besmirch the club or anything like that, and wish him all the best wherever he lands (it looks like Besiktas, but we'll see. Personally wherever he goes I'd rather it was a purchase, not a loan). Not the level we need, especially for where we are going, but there's no disgrace in that, as most aren't.

Last edited:

Neukolln

I'm not picking on Migs, because I feel like he inexplicably lost his way and even he didn't know how to right his own ship. I felt for him. It started out so promising for him.

All that said, I keep thinking about the fixture v Arsenal just prior to the holidays. Liverpool was dictating the play all over the pitch and Migs allowed Arsenal life with cheap goals. If it wasn't for Firmino scoring later in the game the Reds wouldn't have even grabbed one point when they probably deserved all three on that day. All on Migs and a clear lack of mental focus. My overall point being, that lack of focus had become the "new normal" for Mignolet.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
The Mirror also thinks that someone who is 6' 7'' is a "giant".
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-consider-move-giant-non-13012345

Liverpool are considering signing rookie non-league goalkeeper Kai McKenznie-Lyle.

The 20-year-old, who stands at an impressive 6ft 7in played for the club's Under-23 side in a pre-season friendly last week.

McKenzie-Lyle is on Barnet's books and made his senior debut back in 2015.

He is likely to be challenging for the No.1 spot next season but Liverpool are thought to be considering giving him a chance.

Think that "likely" in the last line may just be a bit of a typo.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
[B]Matt[/B]‏ @[B]FalseFirmino[/B] 9h9 hours ago
More
People won't like this at all, but if Loris Karius and Simon Mignolet go, I'd be all for taking Joe Hart for a couple of million. I don't rate Hart as a 'keeper, but I think he'd be brilliant to have around the dressing room.

No thanks very much.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
"I don't rate him but imagine having him around...."

I'm sure there are plenty of guys who are great to have around.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Barcelona are interested in signing Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, Sky Sports News understands.

Besiktas made contact with Liverpool over the availability of the Belgium international last week, but according to Sky sources the Turkish club are yet to follow it up with a firm approach.

Barcelona has emerged as another possible for the 30-year-old, who joined Liverpool in 2013 from Sunderland.

Mignolet lost his spot as No 1 at Anfield to Loris Karius last season and has fallen further down the pecking order following the arrival of Alisson from Roma in a world-record £67m deal for a goalkeeper.

Marc-Andre ter Stegen is the current first choice goalkeeper at the Nou Camp, while his understudy Jasper Cillessen could be on the move, according to reports.

GaryBarlow99

About time we finally sold a duffer to Barcelona instead of them always pinching our best players :-)

If we are selling Karius I would be fine swapping Migs for Cillessen simply because he fits our style and I would like a sweeper keeper in reserve instead of a standard shot stopper.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
About time we finally sold a duffer to Barcelona instead of them always pinching our best players :-)

If we are selling Karius I would be fine swapping Migs for Cillessen simply because he fits our style and I would like a sweeper keeper in reserve instead of a standard shot stopper.
I think Cillessen wants to move somewhere he'll be no1.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
All a bit weird. Cillessen is stylistically okay, but isn't good enough in terms of quality (had a mistake or two against Roma last night). Mignolet can be of solid to good quality, but not in terms of style. Both are not Barca's "ideal" backup keeper.

gr_sounder

Personally I would have thought Mignolet would be the ideal #2 at Liverpool if he was willing to accept the role.

I think he's a good keeper and very solid overall. Obviously this won't work if he still desires to be a #1 somewhere, but that's not likely to happen with a move to Barca! If he's ok being a backup, why not just stay here?

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Personally I would have thought Mignolet would be the ideal #2 at Liverpool if he was willing to accept the role.

I think he's a good keeper and very solid overall. Obviously this won't work if he still desires to be a #1 somewhere, but that's not likely to happen with a move to Barca! If he's ok being a backup, why not just stay here?
He’d probably find it easier to take playing understudy to Alisson than to Karius but that’s completely ignoring why he found himself in that particular predicament in the first place. Besides I suspect both he and Klopp are now set in their minds about what happens next.

Actually Karius would fit Barcelona's playing style, I wonder if he is on good terms with Ter Stegen. LK could probably get domestic cup games and have a nice defense to protect him. Cillessen has been outstanding for Barcelona's domestic cup runs the last two years, including big saves when they needed them--didn't seem like a drop off from Ter Stegen from an eye test to me. I am way more thrilled with Alisson (best possible option but looked like it may not happen for a while), but I would have felt a lot better with a JC + LK or Ward keeper situation at Liverpool next year than any other plan B I could come up with. Migs, while not a bad keeper, seems a bad fit to Barca to me, I think they would much rather hold on to JC (or take LK on loan or permanent, why not--change of scene and a team to really protect him with a good dosage of cup games).

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Anyone listen to TAW podcasts? They made a good point yesterday re Ming and Karius. We won’t get big fees for either as everyone knows that Alisson is first choice by a mile.
Last season if someone came in for our keepers we could demand more as technically they were both first choice in a way. Not now.
I think £10m-£12m for Ming and £7m-£8m for Karius would be good prices.

Noo Noo

Anyone listen to TAW podcasts? They made a good point yesterday re Ming and Karius. We won’t get big fees for either as everyone knows that Alisson is first choice by a mile.
Last season if someone came in for our keepers we could demand more as technically they were both first choice in a way. Not now.
I think £10m-£12m for Ming and £7m-£8m for Karius would be good prices.
Post CL Karius' value fell through the floor. Harsh but understandable.

Fair point with Mignolet though, although I feel the bulk of his value is more related to the contract he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.