Simon Mignolet (GK) to Besiktas and Barcelona ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Anyone listen to TAW podcasts? They made a good point yesterday re Ming and Karius. We won’t get big fees for either as everyone knows that Alisson is first choice by a mile.
Last season if someone came in for our keepers we could demand more as technically they were both first choice in a way. Not now.
I think £10m-£12m for Ming and £7m-£8m for Karius would be good prices.

I’m not sure that their current status at LFC is that important in terms of how much another club would pay for them. Alisson is regarded as one of the best GKs in the world so Karius’ and Migs’ new status at Anfield is a no-brainer and shouldn’t change their potential value to an interested club a great deal. The big issue right now regarding Karius’ ‘value’ is not so much his status or even his ability its his current ongoing difficulties following the ECL Final.

Are we desparate to offload both players now? I don’t think so. Does it matter a great deal which of the two goes? I don’t think so. Look how much we got for our ‘4th choice’ goalkeeper for a second choice role at his new club - most people knew Alisson was on his way.

I never have been that good at predicting a player’s worth in the market but since Edwards and Klopp got together I’d believe anything when it comes to selling our fringe players. Fwiw I’d go along with your estimates but not for any of the reasons you give.

Last edited:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Pearce: So far no takers for Mignolet at £12m. #LFC may have to lower asking price or sanction a loan

lol

3 years left on his deal. Which means two loans and leaving for peanuts in the final year.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Pearce: So far no takers for Mignolet at £12m. #LFC may have to lower asking price or sanction a loan

lol

3 years left on his deal. Which means two loans and leaving for peanuts in the final year.
Of course not. Everyone knows we’re desperate to get shut. Nobody is paying a fee.

gr_sounder

lol

Or maybe he's left as a backup to Alisson whether he likes it or not. If other teams won't pay 12M for a keeper, then being a #2 is your lot in life.... so maybe he should rethink and help develop Kelleher and Grabara while providing experienced cover for Alisson.

Honestly, I've often thought that if you're a good but not top notch keeper is akin to being a good but not top notch quarterback in the NFL. If at the age of 26 you realize you're not a star, take the job as a backup, and save your health while getting good money. Not a bad way to make a living.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
In today's climate £12m seems reasonable,he's really not that bad for the price.
It’s a fair price for him, but everyone knows we’re desperate to sell and we’d probably sanction a loan at the end of the window.

I’d sit down both him and Karius with their agents and tell them they are both free to leave for five million. First one to get a deal leaves, loser stays another year to back up Alisson. If neither of them get a deal, they can both stay and duke it out for 2/3 spot.

Get moving, lads.

Strictly Armchair

Anyone listen to TAW podcasts? They made a good point yesterday re Ming and Karius. We won’t get big fees for either as everyone knows that Alisson is first choice by a mile.
Last season if someone came in for our keepers we could demand more as technically they were both first choice in a way. Not now.
I think £10m-£12m for Ming and £7m-£8m for Karius would be good prices.
Which would have been a fair enough point had we not managed to squeeze £12.5m out of Leicester for Danny Ward. He has played more times for the Welsh national side (4) than he did for us (3). Compare that to Karius' 96 apps for Mainz and 49 for us or Migs' 300+ senior appearances while based in England. That has got to add a few quid to their fees. Also take into consideration the rumoured fee for Ings and the potentially head scratching amount we might get for Origi. Those figures quoted for Karius and Migs then look on the low side. We have been picking up good fees for outgoing players for a couple of years now. That's not stopping any time soon.

Personally I'll be glad to see the back of Migs. Too many errors. He quickly started to remind me of Westerveld and he lasted nothing like five years with us. Hopefully we have now, finally, banished the chronic blind spot with regards to our goalkeeping situ.

redfanman

TIA Regular
He's probably a victim of the slow moving window. There is very little happening compared to other windows (at least it seems that way to me) and we need other clubs to have an opening for him, and given his relatively high wage deal clubs were always probably going to leave it until the last minute to try for him (and given our window shuts before those in other countries it probably reduces the number of clubs chasing him - and if there is little competition for his signature it opens the way for some clubs to try for a loan deal instead.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
He can still go to a European club after the English window closes but we have to be in a position squad-wise to be able to let him go in that case.

No more loans for senior fringe players. Just drop the price enough to let him go.

Red over the water

It’s a fair price for him, but everyone knows we’re desperate to sell and we’d probably sanction a loan at the end of the window.

I’d sit down both him and Karius with their agents and tell them they are both free to leave for five million. First one to get a deal leaves, loser stays another year to back up Alisson. If neither of them get a deal, they can both stay and duke it out for 2/3 spot.

Get moving, lads.
I like the thinking! Incentivize them to get moving.

Mind you, I’d make the fee £10M, especially in this financial climate.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™

Get moving, lads.
No offense, but it's good that you're not Michael Edwards.

What does LFC care if Mignolet is still sitting around during the season? His wages are not so high that it is a crisis situation to remove them from the books one way or another. He's not made a nuisance of himself. Sure he's not LFC starter quality, but he would improve plenty of teams that would protect him more. No reason to give them a nice donation-- Migs or Karius.

Maybe he doesn't move during this window but eventually someone will realise their goalkeeper is garbage. If we can get £12m for Danny Ward's untapped potential we can get that for a solid enough known quantity.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I like the thinking! Incentivize them to get moving.

Mind you, I’d make the fee £10M, especially in this financial climate.
What financial climate are we talking about here? Money are still being thrown all over the place and the European window is still open after ours are shut, outgoing is still possible, so the football operations team needs to earn their money now by selling our leftovers.

Red over the water

What financial climate are we talking about here? Money are still being thrown all over the place and the European window is still open after ours are shut, outgoing is still possible, so the football operations team needs to earn their money now by selling our leftovers.
I was saying the five million for either Karius or Mignolet mentioned by Macot seemed low to me, in the current financial climate - one where our third choice goalkeeper went for £12.5M was it?

I get that the European window is open beyond the Prem window, but I don’t think decent fees are as achievable in Europe, generally speaking, for fringe or unwanted players. To illustrate this point I could see Origi going to a Prem team for a decent fee if they want to take a punt on him scoring ten goals for them, but I couldn’t see a European team offering the same, and chances are it will be a lower fee or a loan - unless we extend the contract, and I don’t know why Origi would agree to that if we don’t want him.

I think we’ll see outgoings this week, and then a couple more around Europe after that.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Well Cillessen still hasn't sold for what Barca wants so it could be a matter of that falling 1st. If you read into Ter Stegen's quote it sounds like he wants the Copa de rey matches too (JC played them the last 2 years)--so it is truly is just a pure back-up role there now.

Kopstar

★★★★★
I think Migs gets paid £100k pw,not a tiny hurdle that.
I don't think Migs has ever earned £100k/week which is made up of a load of performance related, appearances and other variables. He's still handsomely rewarded (base is around £60k/week) particularly relative to his standing as a goalkeeper. Wages are definitely going to contribute towards keeping his fee modest. I wouldn't expected it to be any higher than Ward's.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
It's not a transfer window if a late move from Napoli for one of Liverpool players fails to materialise...

Dave-D

What options do Napoli have in goal? I know it used to be Reina was he replaced?

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
What options do Napoli have in goal? I know it used to be Reina was he replaced?
They bought two keepers: the one who played in the friendly should be 2nd choice, 1st is Meret, promising young keeper currently injured, not for long though.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Karnezis was also in goal when Salah bagged 4 against Watford a couple of months ago.

:-)

redfanman

TIA Regular
I thought they had a keeper who was keeping Reina out the side - what happened to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.