Simon Mignolet (GK) to Besiktas and Barcelona ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Rafael? Only for a short while maybe. He's gone. Meret and Karnezis are now their first two options. They also let Sepe go and have a 3rd choice.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
They bought two keepers: the one who played in the friendly should be 2nd choice, 1st is Meret, promising young keeper currently injured, not for long though.
Meret broke his arm he'll be out for months.

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team
http://global.espn.com/football/soc...-mignolet-in-talks-over-napoli-transfer-agent
Liverpool's Simon Mignolet in talks over Napoli transfer - agent

The agent of Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet has told La Derniere Heurethat he is holding talks with Napoli over a transfer to Italy.

The arrival of Alisson from Roma means Mignolet's game time at Liverpool will be severely limited, having been demoted as No. 1 for Loris Karius partway through last season.

Mignolet, 30, is seeking regular action this term, with his representatives holding discussions with Napoli, who are on the hunt for a goalkeeper after summer signing Alex Meret suffered an injury.

"We're talking, but there's no agreement," Mignolet's agent, Nico Vaessen said. "It's in the interest of the club to find a solution.

"Liverpool want to keep him, but he wants to and must play. He deserves to play in a great team.

"For them [Napoli], Simon represents the best option in terms of quality, but there's also the financial aspect."

Any move to Italy -- whether permanent or on loan -- would need to be completed prior to the close of the Serie A transfer window 8 p.m. CET on Friday.

Mignolet is now back training at Liverpool after receiving an extended break for being part of the Belgium squad that reached the semifinals of the World Cup.

He was not part of the matchday squad for Liverpool's Premier League opener with West Ham United on Sunday, although Vaessen said "it's because he started training later."

Meanwhile, Fabinho said he is adjusting well to the new demands of playing for Liverpool.

The Brazilian defensive midfielder joined from Monaco in May in a deal worth €50 million and was present for Liverpool's preseason right from the start.

He is awaiting his competitive Liverpool debut after being an unused substitute for Sunday's 4-0 win over West Ham, having battled a minor injury and illness in the buildup.

"I think my performances have been good," he told Premier League Productions. "It's a different playing style than at Monaco -- there were two of us in midfield there and here at Liverpool there's three.

"My midfield partners have given me guidance and assistance, as have the defence. I knew [my role] would change and I feel I've adapted well.

"You seek guidance and help from the players around you and that has worked really well up until now."

Neukolln

Meanwhile, Fabinho said he is adjusting well to the new demands of playing for Liverpool. The Brazilian defensive midfielder joined from Monaco in May in a deal worth €50 million and was present for Liverpool's preseason right from the start. He is awaiting his competitive Liverpool debut after being an unused substitute for Sunday's 4-0 win over West Ham, having battled a minor injury and illness in the buildup."I think my performances have been good," he told Premier League Productions. "It's a different playing style than at Monaco -- there were two of us in midfield there and here at Liverpool there's three.

"My midfield partners have given me guidance and assistance, as have the defence. I knew [my role] would change and I feel I've adapted well. "You seek guidance and help from the players around you and that has worked really well up until now."
Regarding Fabinho, I thought about this after the match Sunday. I love his attitude and it sounds like he has the right mental wiring to be part of this squad. That said, I got to thinking about how difficult it is for managers to manage large squads of quality players. Obviously we as supporters want the biggest and best squad possible but that's not always reality. Quality players want playing time. One distinct advantage to playing football in England, compared to other leagues around the world is the abundance of opportunity for playing time with PL, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League. Everyone is all smiles now, but I do wonder what it feels like to manage that quality when the playing time dries up.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
Ospina has gone to Napoli so that door has closed for Mignolet. Looks like another half season watching for him then!

Red over the water

Regarding Fabinho, I thought about this after the match Sunday. I love his attitude and it sounds like he has the right mental wiring to be part of this squad. That said, I got to thinking about how difficult it is for managers to manage large squads of quality players. Obviously we as supporters want the biggest and best squad possible but that's not always reality. Quality players want playing time. One distinct advantage to playing football in England, compared to other leagues around the world is the abundance of opportunity for playing time with PL, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League. Everyone is all smiles now, but I do wonder what it feels like to manage that quality when the playing time dries up.
This is a good point, and I think it’s why Klopp would rather run a tight ship with a quality squad, but not so bloated that lots of players don’t have a chance.

I wanted one more this summer, and if not Fekir, then I was hoping for Bailey or someone like that. But I think Klopp would rather not clog it up too much. We have more depth and quality than before, but not Man City or even Man Utd levels of accumulation.

Dave-D

Ospina has gone to Napoli so that door has closed for Mignolet. Looks like another half season watching for him then!
Has Besiktas signed anyone as they were after Ospina as well. Could see a Turkish loan happening for Mignolet if they haven’t

Red over the water

Per the Echo, Klopp wants to keep Mignolet around as number 2 and instead let Karius go out on loan to rebuild his confidence.
Makes sense if that’s how it pans out.

Presumably Mignolet could stomach being a back up to Alisson, a clearly superior keeper, while Karius needs to see some match action to find his groove and put the final well and truly behind him.

I would imagine if we were sitting here with a £10M offer for Mignolet we’d take it, but if there hasn’t been a decent offer then keeping Mignolet as back up and sending Karius on loan seems sensible. Mignolet isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but he’s more than capable of being a back up for us.

OCred

Makes sense, to let Karius out on loan, and keep Migs. But I think either way will work out, whether we sell Migs, keep Karius, etc. I doubt Migs wants to be a back up and at this stage of his career should and deserves a starting role someplace.

Either way makes no big difference, and we are in a good situation with the kind of problem I rather be worrying about, who we want as our backup. Wow, how times have changed and we are no longer going at each other about Karius vs Migs.......hallelujah!!!

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
To be honest I wonder if Karius stunning period in goal wasn’t just the fact we had bought VVD and Robertson in, two players who could defend.

Personally don’t think there is that much difference, Alison however.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
To be honest I wonder if Karius stunning period in goal wasn’t just the fact we had bought VVD
That is definitely the case. This towering figure helps in our weakness in defending those lofty crosses where our previous flappy keepers tend to fuck up. Just watch Palace match, every corner, freekick and every cross that came in, long ball to target man and so on, the one that got to the end of it has been none other than Van the man.

[email protected]

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
Hmmm, bit fucked up IMO. Surely he knew Karius was leaving. Ffs, wasn't a secret. What stopped him from saying, 'er chaps, I'm also planning an update out and since I have great affinity to yous I don't wanna leave you in a jam.'

But here he comes out now with the want to play and bleating.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/...warning-to-liverpool-after-loris-karius-loan/
Interesting, he didn't sound so desperate to play when he refused to go to Fulham and let Karius sit on Liverpool bench instead!

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Hmmm, bit fucked up IMO. Surely he knew Karius was leaving. Ffs, wasn't a secret. What stopped him from saying, 'er chaps, I'm also planning an update out and since I have great affinity to yous I don't wanna leave you in a jam.'

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/...warning-to-liverpool-after-loris-karius-loan/
Maybe he should blame his agent instead... or simply accepted the fact that he never was to earn the money he's on elsewhere. I guess he had a lot options to choose from also.

LFCFFC

Really odd from Mignolet. You'd infer he's either spat the dummy or there's been a significant communication breakdown between him and the club. Personally would've kept Karius, but it's understandable he'd want some time away/it might have been seen in his best interest at resurrecting his career.

Fingers crossed Alisson stays fit and we can bring in reinforcements in January if need be.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

Bloody Belgian keepers I tell ya, always give you the run-around. Courtois did that with Chelsea. Fuck 'em, not like having a starting post will see him taking over from Courtois. He is still dreaming of being Belgian number 1 I suppose.

redfanman

TIA Regular

Whenever he has been dropped the same story follows in the media shortly after. I don't know if it's him starting it, or him being asked a question and his answer spun. Very odd as it rarely happens to other keepers.

T.C.B

He's got a good contract which he was happy to sign so the club can keep him if that's what they decide is in their best interest. Had a decent offer come in for him before Karius was loaned then he would have been sold most likely. Maybe his agent should have done more to get sorted before the Karius deal was done.
Making noises about being unhappy now that the window has closed meaning we cant bring in some experienced cover isnt going to do him any favors.

Neukolln

Maybe he should blame his agent instead... or simply accepted the fact that he never was to earn the money he's on elsewhere. I guess he had a lot options to choose from also.
He's got a good contract which he was happy to sign so the club can keep him if that's what they decide is in their best interest. Had a decent offer come in for him before Karius was loaned then he would have been sold most likely. Maybe his agent should have done more to get sorted before the Karius deal was done.
100%. Could not agree more with you both and I said similar on social media today. Very disappointed to read these comments from Mignolet but if this is the case, then he should fire his agent immediately and hire a better one that will facilitate and fast-track his exit. If he wants gone that badly, then I'm left to question what exactly has his current agent been doing all Summer to drum up interest and/or convince another club of all Simon's wonderful GK quality? If clubs wanted him bad enough, he would've been moved. The agent needs to step it up.

I know this is the "emotional supporter" in me saying this because obviously I don't know what really goes on behind closed doors, but at this point I want this malcontent and potentially divisive element removed from the dressing room immediately. We don't need him undermining any trophy effort this season. I'd rather just roll the dice with Grabara as the understudy to Alisson. After hearing Migs feeling this way, can Jürgen really trust him to put him into games? I know it would make me think twice.

OCred

Hmmmm, how does one say this........hope Migs stays with us this season. Ok there.

Wasn’t so hard, yeah hopefully it’s just tabloid media gibberish, and that he is ok with number 2 spot.

I mean I don’t want a number 2 wishing our number 1 to get injured, bad voodoo that is.

Migs has been pretty much a professional so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I think any team with high expectations, is suppose to have a quality back up. So not gonna get worried about this one, and do think that Klopp would not allow a disaster scenario of throwing under 21 GK into the fire. I mean one red card on our GK for a penalty foul, and we could easily be up shit creek. So I say Migs is here for at least one more season. And I think he will be able to help us in our cup games.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Hmmmm, how does one say this........hope Migs stays with us this season. Ok there.

Wasn’t so hard, yeah hopefully it’s just tabloid media gibberish, and that he is ok with number 2 spot.

I mean I don’t want a number 2 wishing our number 1 to get injured, bad voodoo that is.

Migs has been pretty much a professional so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I think any team with high expectations, is suppose to have a quality back up. So not gonna get worried about this one, and do think that Klopp would not allow a disaster scenario of throwing under 21 GK into the fire. I mean one red card on our GK for a penalty foul, and we could easily be up shit creek. So I say Migs is here for at least one more season. And I think he will be able to help us in our cup games.
I don't know how you could come up with tabloid gibberish when there are quotes coming from himself. Very odd. For someone who is apparently rated most intelligent person in the squad, what he did or said was pretty dumb.

OCred

I don't know how you could come up with tabloid gibberish when there are quotes coming from himself. Very odd. For someone who is apparently rated most intelligent person in the squad, what he did or said was pretty dumb.
So wait, you mean to suggest we are to believe what some journalists write???

I don’t care if they call it a quote or not, surely they can’t be trusted especially when it’s to create a stir..

I mean I doubt Migs has a twitter account where he gets back at the media for unfairly portraying him, like a certain President here. So yeah, called it mumbo jumbo if you prefer. I don’t believe Migs would act up in this manner, at least I am willing to give a player who has been with us 6 years the benefit of the doubt over some rouge journalist. It’s sound logic and statistically probable, rather than the other way around.

i don’t know anything about the Belgium national team posts and gossip, but when has Migs, who by your own accounting is one of the more brighter lads, ever resorted to acting out thru the media?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Shit happens, Simon. We need to first think about ourselves. Lower your expectations. We got a nice deal for Karius and that was it. Put your head down and we'll see what offers you have next summer. Then let's get a relatively experienced backup (not anyone though, not a "Caballero") to Alisson and finally close this goalkeeper topic for a while.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
So wait, you mean to suggest we are to believe what some journalists write???

I don’t care if they call it a quote or not, surely they can’t be trusted especially when it’s to create a stir..

I mean I doubt Migs has a twitter account where he gets back at the media for unfairly portraying him, like a certain President here. So yeah, called it mumbo jumbo if you prefer. I don’t believe Migs would act up in this manner, at least I am willing to give a player who has been with us 6 years the benefit of the doubt over some rouge journalist. It’s sound logic and statistically probable, rather than the other way around.

i don’t know anything about the Belgium national team posts and gossip, but when has Migs, who by your own accounting is one of the more brighter lads, ever resorted to acting out thru the media?
Did you even read the article, did you not see Mignolet being quoted in that article. It’s not an assumption of his feelings, he expressed it himself. Unless you are now saying Mignolet lied to the reporter.....

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Mignolet had plenty of time and opportunity to sort out a move. The bottom line is that either nobody fancied taking him on and/or he pratted around too long sorting his future out.

As for letting Loris out on loan maybe the club decided in the end that his need to get away was greater than Mignolet’s and that the latter wasted any opportunities he had to get out. Also, there is the likelihood that the club wanted a permanent solution to Mignolet’s exit.

Its no good Mignolet sulking and whinging. It is what it is, he still gets paid a decent whack and he has a club. He needs to put between now and January to good use in terms of seeking a solution then. In the meantime he needs to keep his mouth shut and his head down.

Red over the water

You could make a case for any two of Mignolet/Karius/Ward leaving this summer, with the other staying on to be Alisson’s back up. I see it a bit like a game of musical chairs. Mignolet was the one left here at the end when the music stopped, unable to secure a deal to go and play elsewhere as a number one.

We can’t know for sure, but I’m reasonably confident that had an acceptable deal come in for Mignolet earlier in the summer he’d have gone with the club’s blessing. What the club wasn’t going to do was leave ourselves short, and much as Kelleher and Grabara are good prospects, they are not ready yet.

If Mignolet is so unhappy he knows what he needs to do. Get his agent to line up a deal that is acceptable to the club for the next window! In the meantime we can assess our own options for how the pecking order might settle down behind Alisson, and we can weigh if we need to buy another goalkeeper for cheap cover.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We can’t know for sure, but I’m reasonably confident that had an acceptable deal come in for Mignolet earlier in the summer he’d have gone with the club’s blessing. What the club wasn’t going to do was leave ourselves short, and much as Kelleher and Grabara are good prospects, they are not ready yet.
The club didn't, the news was about him not able to agree his personal terms. We have already allowed him to open talks to the bidder, which means we have already accepted the offer. Maybe not many clubs could offer him his big wage for a keeper? Standing at £60K a week I believe, while Karius is only on £25K a week. Nothing between the two other than that big shot in his confidence, and Karius wage is far more affordable by most other clubs outside Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.