Simon Mignolet (GK) to Besiktas and Barcelona ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strictly Armchair

Can't see him going anywhere in the remainder of this window (stating the obvious award to me for that one). However, a January move would not surprise me in the slightest. It will at least give everyone four whole months to be clear re their position. He has three years remaining on his contract though so some give and take is going to be required to get him out of the door. If he isn't prepared to yield then he should put up and shut up.

Looking at Burnley's situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see outgoing movement from there in January. They now have FIVE goalkeepers on their books so surely their bean counters are going to be in Dyche's ear sooner or later to shift one or two out of the club.
They have only just signed Hart on a two-year contract and Nick Pope isn't going anywhere after his breakthrough season last campaign.
They also have Anders Lindegaard, a professional back-up goalkeeper who has only made 139 career appearances despite being 34 years of age. He is kept company by Adam Legzdins, another who can be considered a professional back-up goalkeeper. He's a 31 year-old who has made fewer than 200 career appearances.

That leaves Tom Heaton as potentially the odd one out at Turf Moor. He sustained a shoulder injury early last season but hasn't made a first team appearance since recovering. From what I have seen of him he'd be a perfectly reasonable no. 2, that's assuming the coaching team think Kelleher and Grabara are still too raw to be risked. Heaton probably wouldn't cost that much either.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Mignolet has picked himself up before after being dropped by Klopp. He's always been respectful and professional. There is nothing wrong in expecting to be playing regular football. He really needs to talk to his agent to get him those deals. There are plenty of clubs who don't play a high defensive line where his deficits as a keeper in coming up and gathering the ball are mitigated by the defensive playing style and his strengths in being a good shot stopper for long range shots come into play.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Can't see him going anywhere in the remainder of this window (stating the obvious award to me for that one). However, a January move would not surprise me in the slightest. It will at least give everyone four whole months to be clear re their position. He has three years remaining on his contract though so some give and take is going to be required to get him out of the door. If he isn't prepared to yield then he should put up and shut up.

Looking at Burnley's situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see outgoing movement from there in January. They now have FIVE goalkeepers on their books so surely their bean counters are going to be in Dyche's ear sooner or later to shift one or two out of the club.
They have only just signed Hart on a two-year contract and Nick Pope isn't going anywhere after his breakthrough season last campaign.
They also have Anders Lindegaard, a professional back-up goalkeeper who has only made 139 career appearances despite being 34 years of age. He is kept company by Adam Legzdins, another who can be considered a professional back-up goalkeeper. He's a 31 year-old who has made fewer than 200 career appearances.

That leaves Tom Heaton as potentially the odd one out at Turf Moor. He sustained a shoulder injury early last season but hasn't made a first team appearance since recovering. From what I have seen of him he'd be a perfectly reasonable no. 2, that's assuming the coaching team think Kelleher and Grabara are still too raw to be risked. Heaton probably wouldn't cost that much either.
I agree. A low transfer fee for any of the three keepers. Burnley potentially have bigger problems in the attack. Might we'll be worth holding them out for origi and getting the keeper as a add on

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd

Speaking in a press conference, Klopp said:

“He (Mignolet) will not be leaving. I would say discussing your problems in public doesn’t make too much sense. Better to speak to each other. If he was happy to be No.2 then I wouldn’t really know him. He’s a top professional, top goalie. Pretty good pay, by the way.
If you want to say something, say it to me directly than to a newspaper.”

Red over the water

Klopp is the boss, no two ways about that. Mingo is allowed to be frustrated by his current situation, especially as he wanted to move, but you have to keep it internal. As it happens he probably could have moved, but priced himself out. Klopp even mentions money in his statement.

The best course of action would be for Mignolet to apologize, clear the air with the manager, then put his head down and work hard. His agent can work behind the scenes on lining up a move, and if it is suitable for the club, and the player doesn’t price himself out, he will get there. But now is not the time to whine publicly.

GaryBarlow99

KloppBoom.gif

No messing with our boss. He could have gone but chose money over playing time. Sit on the bench Simon, be quiet and do your job if you're called upon this season.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
I've just read those comments from Klopp. I wonder how angry and disappointed he must have been to speak about him in such way, especially to make such a remark about his wages, though I wonder if it also has something to do with Mignolet not agreeing terms with Fulham. Mignolet shot himself in both feet there, not accepting that move and then going public about his and Karius' situation at Liverpool. He's been working with him for three years, I find it strange that he hasn't learned yet that Klopp is a staunch advocate of "what happens in the club, stays in the club" policy.

Mignolet isn't the worst goalkeeper Liverpool have ever had but he's firmly in the lower echelons of that group - that he seems deluded about it, only makes it worse. It's been half a year at least since he started a match for Liverpool and he didn't take the hint. For what it's worth, I believe Karius' comments about Klopp wanting to keep him, even though they were probably mistimed. Given the choice, I would have rather kept Karius than Mignolet because he simply seemed a better fit than Mignolet, even though he was as error-prone. The best any Liverpool fan can hope is that Mignolet shuts up for the time being, continues being professional within the squad, continues working upto Klopp's standards and then finds himself a new club in January, providing Liverpool find an adequate replacement.

Danny_

There was no way we were ever letting him go out on loan once the Karius deal was done. Sometimes, I don't know what modern day players are smoking. Probably listening to the bs from his agent too much.

I've just read those comments from Klopp. I wonder how angry and disappointed he must have been to speak about him in such way, especially to make such a remark about his wages, though I wonder if it also has something to do with Mignolet not agreeing terms with Fulham. Mignolet shot himself in both feet there, not accepting that move and then going public about his and Karius' situation at Liverpool. He's been working with him for three years, I find it strange that he hasn't learned yet that Klopp is a staunch advocate of "what happens in the club, stays in the club" policy.

Mignolet isn't the worst goalkeeper Liverpool have ever had but he's firmly in the lower echelons of that group - that he seems deluded about it, only makes it worse. It's been half a year at least since he started a match for Liverpool and he didn't take the hint. For what it's worth, I believe Karius' comments about Klopp wanting to keep him, even though they were probably mistimed. Given the choice, I would have rather kept Karius than Mignolet because he simply seemed a better fit than Mignolet, even though he was as error-prone. The best any Liverpool fan can hope is that Mignolet shuts up for the time being, continues being professional within the squad, continues working upto Klopp's standards and then finds himself a new club in January, providing Liverpool find an adequate replacement.
Spot on Nikola. Think Mignolet will last until Jan. Crazy that 4-5yrs ago it was pretty unanimous among supporters that he wasn't good enough. We got behind him but he never looked like proving us wrong.

It looks like @Mascot88 scenario of first one to find a club, or you stay as no2. Mignolet turned his nose up at Fulham (its London wtf? lol and about his level) whilst Karius showed his bottle and went to Besiktas :shocked::unhappy: Fk that!

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Can't believe that this fella is considered to be intelligent and professional. His whining (again) indicates he's neither and an ordinary goalkeeper to boot.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
I just wish he'd shut the fuck up and get on with it.
For now he is #2 here,clearly unhappy enough to piss Klopp off.Klopp was spot on"if you have something to say ,say it to me.
Clearly Migs thinks he's better than what he is,must do to knock back Fulham when he had the chance.
He probably thinks he's better than Alisson too,doubt he's got many converts to that idea.
He's here till Jan .now but doubt it will be much longer.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Its what players do when they are seeking to force a move on their terms. They go public and try to appear a threat to team harmony hoping that they get their way. Remember Coutinho's camp made unpleasant comments publically and so did a former friend of Klopp's at Mainz who wanted to go to Klavan's old club, Augsberg and got his wish. (Classy Klopp invited him to watch our cup tie against Augsberg a couple of seasons ago!)

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Its what players do when they are seeking to force a move on their terms. They go public and try to appear a threat to team harmony hoping that they get their way. Remember Coutinho's camp made unpleasant comments publically and so did a former friend of Klopp's at Mainz who wanted to go to Klavan's old club, Augsberg and got his wish. (Classy Klopp invited him to watch our cup tie against Augsberg a couple of seasons ago!)
The difference is, Coutinho is our star player and we didn't want to sell him. We were willing to let Mignolet go and even accepted the fees offered, but he could not lower his £65K a week demand and that's not our fault. We can't be paying half his wages just to send him to another club. We are actually getting paid for Karius loan spell.

Pick a fight when you have the upper-hand. When you are already on the losing ground, why do so? He was supposed to be the intelligent one in the squad. Some how that action he took suggest he isn't that bright.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
The difference is, Coutinho is our star player and we didn't want to sell him. We were willing to let Mignolet go and even accepted the fees offered, but he could not lower his £65K a week demand and that's not our fault. We can't be paying half his wages just to send him to another club. We are actually getting paid for Karius loan spell.

Pick a fight when you have the upper-hand. When you are already on the losing ground, why do so? He was supposed to be the intelligent one in the squad. Some how that action he took suggest he isn't that bright.
Are you saying we actually learned something out of Joe Cole / Balotelli fiasco.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I think the Mignolet thing is probably all sorted behind closed doors, probably before Mignolets whiny article got published.

I don’t klopp would have been too upset, and I don’t think Simon would have been against taking a bit of a cut to get playing time, it just didn’t happen.

For all simons faults, application and being a good squad player is not one.

I can easily forgive him a wee bit of a steam off.

Status
Not open for further replies.