Sir Kenny Dalglish

Druss

TIA Reserve Team
Im not the type to get star struck by anybody. To me they're just another human being.

However when it comes to Kenny Dalglish that just doesn't apply. he's a man ive always wanted to meet. I want to simply shake his hand and tell him what an honour its been to watch him represent our club at all levels with dignity, passion and humility.

He is liverpool fc in my eyes. What he did and is still doing for the families of Hillsborough shows his love of Liverpool fc and the city.

The word legend gets used to often these days but he optimises that word.

Happy birthday sir kenny

Druss

TIA Reserve Team
Well it does say in the OP that his birthday is in fact 4th March!!!!

He's still a legend no matter what day it is :)

Herb

@EnriqueGarciaED: Kenny Dalglish ha estado en el entrenamiento de hoy del #SevillaFC y ha charlado con Unai @UnaiEmery_ http://t.co/xOYWzedUVG

The King giving some tips in Sevilla today...

OhYaBeauty

And chatting with Unai Emery. I wonder what that's about. Obviously Kenny doesn't need a reason to do stuff like that but I wonder what sort of stuff they'd talk about. Is it something that he's doing as a club official or is his standing in football still so high that he's a big deal in Spain these days?

Herb

Laying the groundwork...?

I imagine progressive coaches like Emery will always look to cash in on any knowledge they can take from legends of the game, in particular from highly successful managers.

Zico Nealy

There should have been more of a protest against FSG sacking him- now way would humiliating a club legend of such a scale roll with US fans in their sports. Dalglish was the best player I've seen wear our shirt, and one of the best I've seen in any shirt.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Official or unofficial, He can go manage SCUM, He will allways be the King.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Happy 65th birthday Kenny!

[the first article is from yesterday]

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/special-song-been-recorded-celebrate-10987736

Special song has been recorded to celebrate Kenny Dalglish’s 65th birthday

Proceeds from Scottish band December's single will go to Marina Dalglish cancer charity

Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish released by Scottish band December on the football legend's 65th birthday, tomorrow

A special song has been recorded to celebrate Kenny Dalglish’s 65th birthday.

Scottish band December has released single ‘Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish’ to celebrate the football hero’s milestone birthday tomorrow.

All proceeds from the song, available to download on iTunes tomorrow, will go to the Marina Dalglish Appeal which supports people living with breast cancer.

The band are appearing on Liverpool FC TV tonight where the hononary track will be played to viewers.

Life-long Dalglish fans, the band’s track makes reference to the LFC footballer’s European Cup achievements with the Club as well as his Scottish footballing achievements.

Scottish band December who have made an honorary song for King Kenny - the man, who they say, 'transcends football'

Tributes are also made to the 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster when Dalglish was manager.

December guitarist Scott Pattison, said: “It is really impossible to put into words what Kenny Dalglish means to us.

“He transcends football. He’s not just the best player to ever play for Liverpool and Scotland, he was also, as Graeme Souness said, the best player in the world in his best days with Liverpool.

“He is the kind of person that songs should be written about. We wrote this about him because he is inspirational and also as our own thank you to him for the years of pure joy his playing brought to us - he made our lives better. He has all our respect and admiration.”

Kenny and Marina Dalglish at the 'Now I'm 64: An evening with Kenny Dalglish' event held at the Rum Warehouse at the Titanic Hotel.
The former LFC manger’s wife Marina said she was “delighted” the band had chosen her charity as beneficiary. She said: “We are delighted that Decemeber has chosen to support the Marina Dalglish Appeal by donating all proceeds of their song.”

The Marina Dalglish Appeal was set up after she was successfully treated for breast cancer to help other cancer care patients.

Star studded parties are regularly held on Merseyside for the Marina Dalglish Appeal and last year celebrities included Gary Barlow , Coleen Rooney and other glamorous stars
--------------------------​

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/..._from_his_great_friend_Danny_McGrain/?ref=arc

Happy 65th birthday to Kenny Dalglish: A personal tribute from his great friend Danny McGrain

NO Scottish sports journalist needs an excuse to get one legend talking about another such footballing deity.

However, when the calendar tells you March 4, 2016 is the 65th birthday of one Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish MBE, Scotland’s most decorated and greatest-ever player, it would be a derelict of duty not to ask his oldest friend, Danny McGrain, to look back and pay tribute to the life of The King.

Sometimes this job is a joy and listening to McGrain reminisce about his pal, who he has known for 50 years now, brought back memories which could bring a tear to the eye. Those of us fortunate enough to have seen him in the flesh feel the same way as our fellow lottery winners who were ringside when Muhammad Ali threw a punch.

Let's start at the beginning.

“A couple of summers after we had both signed for Celtic, so this is 1968, Kenny came over to my house to stay for a couple of days,” recalled McGrain who is still a coach at Celtic. “Every day for an hour at least we would go up to one of the red blaes pitches in Drumchapel, it’s where the Donald Dewar centre is now, and we would kick a ball at each other.

“He would talk about what kind of pass he wanted if some defender was up his backside, I would tell him where I wanted him if I had the ball in a certain position so I could find him. It was pretty relaxed but we passed knowledge to each other. If Kenny wanted the ball on his right, then I would play a certain pass.

"That is where we really struck up a relationship and got to know each other as footballers. We worked on all sorts of things. We didn’t have to do it, we just wanted to.

"We knew each other’s game so well and that’s why it clicked on the park. Although Kenny was an easy guy to play with because he was so brilliant."

There was never any doubt both would make it. Celtic were shrewd enough to recognise this and made sure they made it at the same club.

“The first time I saw him? I would have been 16, Kenny 15, and it was the Scottish School trials at Haggs Castle in Glasgow," recalled McGrain. "We would play one game, maybe even 30 minutes or so, then we’d come off. When my game finished, on came this wee guy with red cheeks. It was Kenny. He was alright even then!"

And soon the two were together again at Celtic as part of the group which became known as the Quality Street Gang.

McGrain said “In those days Kenny played in the centre of midfield. I thought he was the next Bobby Murdoch. It shows how much I know. Ach, but he was something else.”

He certainly was. To watch Dalglish was a joy, whether with Celtic, Liverpool or Scotland. He made a record 102 appearances for his country, scoring 30 goals, equal with his hero Denis Law. Dalglish was far better for his country that some have suggested.

Indeed, it is my opinion that the Glaswegian is the greatest British player of all time. McGrain agrees and who is anyone to say Danny McGrain is wrong about anything.

He said: “Kenny always had incredible initiative. If play went a certain way then in a flash he would realise where he should be. He would see things happen before they did. I learned from him and I was the older one.

“At 17 or 18 he had this incredible ability to get on the pass and how to get off a pass. He always seemed to have five options open to him so he was never caught. I copied that. My thinking was that if you gave yourself so many options and couldn’t take on then you weren’t much if a player.

“Kenny was great at getting into the right position. I knew where he would be when I got the ball and he knew where I was going to put the ball. It was never the case of me passing into space; I knew Kenny would be there.”

Graeme Souness once claimed that in the early 1980’s that Dalglish was the best footballer in the world. “I would absolutely agree with that,” said McGrain. “He had everything. Kenny Dalglish was a world class footballer. Larsson, Cruyff, Best, Maradona. Kenny is absolutely in that company."

McGrain turned 65 last year, Dalglish is now of a similar vintage,so it was too tempting to ask him where the time goes.

“It goes but at least we know where it went and we had some great times and created wonderful memories.”

And for that, we can thank these two pensioners from the bottom if our hearts. Happy birthday The King. Here's to many more.
------------------------​

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/fir...-best-against-bruges-on-king-kenny-s-birthday

Last edited:

shachart

I have said it many times, As great a player and manager that he was, he will be a legend for what he did and how he conducted himself off the pitch.
Happy birthday Kenny, long live the king.

Rushies 'Stache

Our best player ever and an icon of the game not just are club.
His playing and managing career for us is legendary but is eclipsed by the fact he made sure NONE of the grieving families walked alone and attended ALL the funerals: absolute class.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Many happy returns of the day Kenny, hope you had a great day with your family. You have supported this club and city of Liverpool in the good, bad and sad times. Thank you for staying with us still, we are so lucky to have you. There is only one Kenny Dalglish. A true legend in this sense. End of.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Happy Birthday,Kenny.
One of the older posters here I saw him play from time to time and he surely deserves to be a legend here.
His work among the bereaved post Hillsborough was amazing,and I'm sure it took it's toll.
When he was reappointed I had tears in my eyes,unfortunately that didn't last as long as I hoped,but there you go!

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Happy Birthday King.
Wishing you a very healthy year ahead.
YNWA

shachart

I have thought a while where to post these 2 articles, since they concern the Hillsborough disaster and the inquest, but decided not to post them in the Hillsborough section since I didn't think it was right to use that section to praise someone.

This is an interview with Peter Beardsley, where he describes how hard for him was to attend just one funeral and he can't believe how Kenny went to so many, and kept with the families all throughout. Finally he says that while Kenny should be knighted for his footballing accomplishments, he even more so should be just for what he did off the pitch after Hillsborough.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/former-liverpool-star-peter-beardsley-7839162

T
he second link is a description of the reactions to Dalglish testimony to during the inquest, how amid all the pain the families went through reliving that awful day, Kenny was able to make them laugh, while keeping his support to the cause. I can just imagine him sitting there in court, with his big grin on his face, answering and attacking the lawyer.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-kenny-dalglishs-autobiography-became-7839305

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
I have thought a while where to post these 2 articles, since they concern the Hillsborough disaster and the inquest, but decided not to post them in the Hillsborough section since I didn't think it was right to use that section to praise someone.

This is an interview with Peter Beardsley, where he describes how hard for him was to attend just one funeral and he can't believe how Kenny went to so many, and kept with the families all throughout. Finally he says that while Kenny should be knighted for his footballing accomplishments, he even more so should be just for what he did off the pitch after Hillsborough.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/former-liverpool-star-peter-beardsley-7839162

T
he second link is a description of the reactions to Dalglish testimony to during the inquest, how amid all the pain the families went through reliving that awful day, Kenny was able to make them laugh, while keeping his support to the cause. I can just imagine him sitting there in court, with his big grin on his face, answering and attacking the lawyer.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-kenny-dalglishs-autobiography-became-7839305
We all know Kenny should have been knighted a long time ago for what he has done. Sadly that type of recognition outside of Liverpool doesn't happen often - look at the likes of Paisley and Shanks - whereas Ferguson got one for winning a European cup (albeit with a lot of good fortune)
Legend gets thrown around too easily these days - this guy should have a picture of himself under the definition within the dictionary.
What he has done for the club is second to none and he has done it with the upmost dignity too.
Proud to have watched Kenny play and part of the club I support - a true icon.

shachart

We all know Kenny should have been knighted a long time ago for what he has done. Sadly that type of recognition outside of Liverpool doesn't happen often - look at the likes of Paisley and Shanks - whereas Ferguson got one for winning a European cup (albeit with a lot of good fortune)
Legend gets thrown around too easily these days - this guy should have a picture of himself under the definition within the dictionary.
What he has done for the club is second to none and he has done it with the upmost dignity too.
Proud to have watched Kenny play and part of the club I support - a true icon.
I remember once hearing or reading that during a question a reporter said something in the line of " what you have done for the club with regards to Hillsborough " and he cut off the reporter and said that his connection with the families nor anything he has done in respect to that awful day had anything to do with club, this was allways between him and the families and how he personnaly felt after that day. So if I may, I would say that what he has done for the club is second only to what he has done to the families and supporters of the club.

On that subject, it is worth saying, that through all the years, his wife Marina has been with him all along. I have heard on many occasions how she has been supportive to the families.