Sir Kenny Dalglish

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
I remember once hearing or reading that during a question a reporter said something in the line of " what you have done for the club with regards to Hillsborough " and he cut off the reporter and said that his connection with the families nor anything he has done in respect to that awful day had anything to do with club, this was allways between him and the families and how he personnaly felt after that day. So if I may, I would say that what he has done for the club is second only to what he has done to the families and supporters of the club.

On that subject, it is worth saying, that through all the years, his wife Marina has been with him all along. I have heard on many occasions how she has been supportive to the families.
I remember once hearing or reading that during a question a reporter said something in the line of " what you have done for the club with regards to Hillsborough " and he cut off the reporter and said that his connection with the families nor anything he has done in respect to that awful day had anything to do with club, this was allways between him and the families and how he personnaly felt after that day. So if I may, I would say that what he has done for the club is second only to what he has done to the families and supporters of the club.

On that subject, it is worth saying, that through all the years, his wife Marina has been with him all along. I have heard on many occasions how she has been supportive to the families.
Yes I do recall that too - probably wasn't best phrased by myself there.

KMD1951

I know Steve Rotherham put Kenny forward for a Knighthood but perhaps we should start a petition to have Kenny Knighted, something that is long overdue given he is the most decorated player in British football and also a legend as a manager, nevermind his unwavering support for the families of those killed at Hillsborough not only at the time but over the 27 years since.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I had heard on the grapevine that he had been offered a knighthood several years ago but turned it down on the grounds that he wouldn't accept such an honour whilst the families of the 96 had been denied justice. Might be different now and, like I said, that's just what I heard on the grapevine.

GreenRedGreen

I know Steve Rotherham put Kenny forward for a Knighthood but perhaps we should start a petition to have Kenny Knighted, something that is long overdue given he is the most decorated player in British football and also a legend as a manager, nevermind his unwavering support for the families of those killed at Hillsborough not only at the time but over the 27 years since.
Is there a title above King?

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
If anyone should be knighted it is Kenny,but many people would not accept a knighthood under any circumstances,it may well be that Kenny is one of those.

If that is the case good one,Kenny.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Must watch (will try and find full interview)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38335880
Not much more than that in the full interview. KD typically not saying a great deal. Mainly highlights of the 4-4 game. It's a cup classic but I always find it a tough watch. For me it's the game that marks the end of our era of dominance. Also, seeing poor Kenny hanging on to the side of the dug-out looking like the loneliest man in the world in a stadium of 40,000 people is hard. He looks absolutely haunted. If ever a man needed a break from football it was him at that point.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Not much more than that in the full interview. KD typically not saying a great deal. Mainly highlights of the 4-4 game. It's a cup classic but I always find it a tough watch. For me it's the game that marks the end of our era of dominance. Also, seeing poor Kenny hanging on to the side of the dug-out looking like the loneliest man in the world in a stadium of 40,000 people is hard. He looks absolutely haunted. If ever a man needed a break from football it was him at that point.
I remember that day. It was probably the one time that I went the entire week not thinking for one minute about the match , previous or next. I felt lost.
I can't even imagine what it was for him, feeling broken inside, just wanting to get away from the club and community he loves.
I remember when he won the title with blackburn, I was genuinly happy for him. I also knew then that once he found joy again in football, that he will return.

Long live the King.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I remember that day. It was probably the one time that I went the entire week not thinking for one minute about the match , previous or next. I felt lost.
I can't even imagine what it was for him, feeling broken inside, just wanting to get away from the club and community he loves.
I remember when he won the title with blackburn, I was genuinly happy for him. I also knew then that once he found joy again in football, that he will return.

Long live the King.
Unfortunately there are a lot of modern days football fans who seemed to think he is a relic, and even when he had the second short stint with us you can see his idea of football for Liverpool FC is to win trophies. Some how it wasn't enough anymore at that moment. How times have changed....

bridgeman

Banned Users
Unfortunately there are a lot of modern days football fans who seemed to think he is a relic, and even when he had the second short stint with us you can see his idea of football for Liverpool FC is to win trophies. Some how it wasn't enough anymore at that moment. How times have changed....
Tbh I still hold a bitterness towards the yanks over his sacking and especially how they did it and then hiring that muppet rodgers

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Tbh I still hold a bitterness towards the yanks over his sacking and especially how they did it and then hiring that muppet rodgers
Oh that's the one thing I thought was a bit of a fucked up move from their part. They messed up big time during that time with both hiring Comolli at the first go when they wanted a director of football structure, having ill advised from someone (not sure who) that if you spend £100m, even though you let your star striker go in January would win you league title and get back to top 4 instantly. I think they might have learned their lesson in a very hard way, and the American style lip-service doesn't work anymore for the club. Hence why first season was all about "we are winners, we are going to win and we will compete with anyone", and tone it way down after they got it so wrong handling Dalglish and hiring that narcissistic Rodgers.

shachart

Oh that's the one thing I thought was a bit of a fucked up move from their part. They messed up big time during that time with both hiring Comolli at the first go when they wanted a director of football structure, having ill advised from someone (not sure who) that if you spend £100m, even though you let your star striker go in January would win you league title and get back to top 4 instantly. I think they might have learned their lesson in a very hard way, and the American style lip-service doesn't work anymore for the club. Hence why first season was all about "we are winners, we are going to win and we will compete with anyone", and tone it way down after they got it so wrong handling Dalglish and hiring that narcissistic Rodgers.
I am biased about Kenny, I admit it. I loved his second stint as a manager, I think I enjoyed his press confrences ( before and after a match ) even more than the matches themselves, The man brought trophis, took us to wembley. It can't be all bad can it?
I was furious when FSG fired him, although many think to this day that it was the right decision. I talked to a friend of mine ( actually a UTD fan, we all have one of those ) and he said that no matter how bad he would have done, you can't fire a legend who is a big part of the club and get away with it.

bridgeman

Banned Users
I am biased about Kenny, I admit it. I loved his second stint as a manager, I think I enjoyed his press confrences ( before and after a match ) even more than the matches themselves, The man brought trophis, took us to wembley. It can't be all bad can it?
I was furious when FSG fired him, although many think to this day that it was the right decision. I talked to a friend of mine ( actually a UTD fan, we all have one of those ) and he said that no matter how bad he would have done, you can't fire a legend who is a big part of the club and get away with it.
The difference with KD though as soon as he felt he wasnt right for the job or hurting the club he would have resigned.

shachart

The difference with KD though as soon as he felt he wasnt right for the job or hurting the club he would have resigned.
Maybe so.
I think that experience has made me very fearful about the day Gerrard will be our manager. I would love to see Gerrard win the title as a manager, but after seeing how fans have turned against Kenny, I don't think I could stand seeing that again with Gerrard.
Some idiots might even fly a plane if they don't like the results.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I am biased about Kenny, I admit it.
I've only got a few sniffs of Keegan, and most of my football memories come from this man call Dalglish. So if you think you're biased, I do have a club you could join. A therapy session for us to get over the 2012 summer. Still working on it, I am on my 6th step of the 12 I have to go through. Klopp certainly helps. lol

bridgeman

Banned Users
Maybe so.
I think that experience has made me very fearful about the day Gerrard will be our manager. I would love to see Gerrard win the title as a manager, but after seeing how fans have turned against Kenny, I don't think I could stand seeing that again with Gerrard.
Some idiots might even fly a plane if they don't like the results.
The only reservation I had at the time about KD taking the job was that element of our who would be calling for his head if things did go good.
My respect for him is so strong that even if we had got relegated I would still back him.
Somethings are actually more important that the football and for the weight he took on his shoulders over Hillsborough should never be forgotten.

bridgeman

Banned Users
I've only got a few sniffs of Keegan, and most of my football memories come from this man call Dalglish. So if you think you're biased, I do have a club you could join. A therapy session for us to get over the 2012 summer. Still working on it, I am on my 6th step of the 12 I have to go through. Klopp certainly helps. lol
Keegan is just before my memory. actually the first memory of him is playing for hamburg v forest in the European cup final which was two years after he left us. I knew well who he was and that he had been a big player for us when I watched that game but just don't have any memories of him in a Liverpool shirt

trygve76

TIA New Signing
I think that experience has made me very fearful about the day Gerrard will be our manager.
Hopefully Klopp is here for the next decade. Gerrard should prove his worth at other clubs before being mentioned as a possible successor. I'm firmly against the idea that a great player automatically makes a great manager. He's proved nothing as a coach yet and I hope he doesn't feel any entitlement to the job. We have one of the top three managers in Europe - long may it continue. I'd happily give him a coaching role though.

liver1

10 years out the game, 1 full season back, 2 cup finals. And this was whilst being hampered by Damien Comolli.

Liverpool was on its knees when Dalglish came back, we were in total disarray, and he picked the club up and carried us on his shoulders when we needed it most.

He put the pride back into the club. The joy we got in seeing Dalglish returning as Liverpool manager and that first press conference was something to savour.

KMD1951

New Years Honours out and still nothing for Kenny. Makes me sick really when you see who gets knighted.

We should start a petition to get Kenny knighted. Nothing for Shanks, Bob Paisley or Kenny and yet guys like Trevor Brooking, Geoff Hurst, Bobby Charlton, Busby and Ferguson get them. Scandalous.

chris301989

I agree about knighting Kenny Dalglish, as he was a great player AND a great manager. Why Dalglish, Paisley and Shankly never got knighthoods I will never know.

richieh10

I'm not sure if anything has been set in stone yet but when is the Centenary Stand name being officially changed to the Kenny Dalglish Stand?

Will it be for the start of the season or will the club do like an official opening maybe for the palace or Arsenal game?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Been catching up on my Anfield Wrap with all the summertime driving to the country, and heard a discussion of a game I knew about, but in an era when it was nothing more than a boxscore for me. More properly - a series of games, the 1980 FA Cup semi-final that due to the rules of the time went to three matches, two replays. The commenter was speaking about the first replay, at Villa Park, and noted that extensive (45mins or so) highlights are on Youtube.

Haven't seen it all, but knew roughly where to start looking. First impression was 'good grief, the pitches then were just terrible', the Villa pitch would embarrass a League 2 side these days. Dalglish equalizes in injury time (30 mins or so on the video), and comes so close to the winner several times in extra time. The roar is brilliant.

For bonus marks, check out the outrageous skill on a behind the back volley cross from Kenny that damn near produced the winner, at around 38 mins.

And white shirt, red numbers, black shorts was a great kit.