• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

So close....

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
So close in the league this season. We all know what records we have broken to still finish second. And we still have a final to come.
But we are so close to being part of a golden age for our club. Yet also seemingly so far away.
The champions league final is massive. Win it and a whole load of monkeys will be off our back. But lose and it’s another trophy less season..

Now below is our runners up ‘honours list’ since 2006 FA Cup final win. It’s quite scary. Especially if we don’t bring old big ears back in June.

Premier league : 2009, 2014, 2019
Champions lg: 2007, 2018, 2019*
Europa lg: 2016
FA Cup: 2012
League Cup: 2016

With the solitary league cup win under Kenny aside, the above list shows how close we are to greatness and how massive the next game is for us.

What we don’t need is a mental block. Self doubt.
We need to bring this trophy home.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Have you abandoned your barbecue to look up this stuff on Google ?

No, they all left. They have a dog to get home to or something.
And I remember our finals without google. Except for pre 1988 then I sometimes have to look it up.

Redsi73

So close in the league this season. We all know what records we have broken to still finish second. And we still have a final to come.
But we are so close to being part of a golden age for our club. Yet also seemingly so far away.
The champions league final is massive. Win it and a whole load of monkeys will be off our back. But lose and it’s another trophy less season..

Now below is our runners up ‘honours list’ since 2006 FA Cup final win. It’s quite scary. Especially if we don’t bring old big ears back in June.

Premier league : 2009, 2014, 2019
Champions lg: 2007, 2018, 2019*
Europa lg: 2016
FA Cup: 2012
League Cup: 2016

With the solitary league cup win under Kenny aside, the above list shows how close we are to greatness and how massive the next game is for us.

What we don’t need is a mental block. Self doubt.
We need to bring this trophy home.
That's it kick us when we're down...............

StanSB

@FilthyBloke - dont you remember your school days ? i do. it was not about standing with the good ones, it was all about standing aroung with the cool ones - the ones that share your taste in music, the ones you like to meet outside school.
football ( especially these days ) is very much like this to me : fuck winning titles when this takes to side with dickheads.
our time will come, i think it comes on the 1st of june and next season we will be the team all others have to cope with.

i share your overall pessimism, i really do. but as i said in the wolverhampton-thread : this "2nd means nothing" attitude annoys me. life is not like that.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
@FilthyBloke - dont you remember your school days ? i do. it was not about standing with the good ones, it was all about standing aroung with the cool ones - the ones that share your taste in music, the ones you like to meet outside school.
football ( especially these days ) is very much like this to me : fuck winning titles when this takes to side with dickheads.
our time will come, i think it comes on the 1st of june and next season we will be the team all others have to cope with.

i share your overall pessimism, i really do. but as i said in the wolverhampton-thread : this "2nd means nothing" attitude annoys me. life is not like that.
I was a loner at school. The few friends I sometimes hung around with were like something from The Lost Boys.
And I’m no pessimistic. Really I’m not. Since 2006 we have been generally mediocre with a few highlights. So to come runners up so many times is credit to the club. But also goes to show how close we are to legendary status.
But I do think our next final is massive. Not because it’ll propel us to champions of Europe but because of the monkeys that will fall off our back. And klopps back as well.

[email protected]

The trick to winning is consistency over a sustained period. 85-90 points generally is seeing you in the mix. 80-85 is a maybe. We have been in that range 3 times in 10 seasons. Had we been there 8 times in 10 seasons we'd likely have a lovely title with us.

We did magnificently this term and just like we put last seasons CL final loss behind us to get there again, we have to do the same in the league to be in the 90 point mark. We'll get there, our drop offs in subsequent seasons was marked but to an extent, predictable. This time looks different.

RIRed

Everybody says “it’s all about the trophies”. I say there is some truth in that. However, there are a lot of things that happen along the way, and the road to the trophy is as important and emotional as the end result. For me it is disappointing not to end the season as champions. However, when I look at the bigger picture of the whole season, it has been a great, wonderful trip! Thank you very much to the whole club, every one of them from grounds keepers, administrators, players, owners and everyone involved

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Yes. My point isn’t that runners up is something to be ashamed of but that we, even with the hicks/Gillett saga, the racism row, the club ownership sale, the uncle Roy days, the Brendan years, we have still come close to greatness.
Now, I personally feel that with the foundations the club have and with the team and especially with Klopp, we are as close as we have ever been since the 80s.
And I keep harping on about the monkeys on our clubs and Klopps back, but until we win they will remain. And those monkeys can weigh you down.
But if we can win against spurs, every monkey but one will fall off, but that one has been there for 30 years.
With a title challenge and only one monkey I’m convinced we can grab that title soon.
I’m all monkeyed out.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
I was a loner at school. The few friends I sometimes hung around with were like something from The Lost Boys.
And I’m no pessimistic. Really I’m not. Since 2006 we have been generally mediocre with a few highlights. So to come runners up so many times is credit to the club. But also goes to show how close we are to legendary status.
But I do think our next final is massive. Not because it’ll propel us to champions of Europe but because of the monkeys that will fall off our back. And klopps back as well.
I had three friends at school. One is now a heart doctor, one is serving life in a secure mental hospital for murder and I think the other one must be dead or living in a shack in the woods as there is no trace of him anywhere on social media.
I’m with you on this. I have had more highs and lows supporting this team over the last forty years than glory hunting city fans will ever know. Fair play, some of them were there when they were shit but not as many as they have now.
Anyway this PL season is history now, onto the CL.

Antiope

After going close you tend to win the next time. However, in the recent past, we lost our prized assets the very next season. Hence, we weren't able to take the next step. But this time, it feels like we might retain the core and therefore we should be alright and win the next time.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I don't think that this final will have much bearing on how the lads perform next season, and I wouldn't put so much pressure on them and around this football match.

If we win it, it will be a deserved reward for an absolutely exceptional season, and we'll be in seventh heaven for a while, before looking forward to next season. If not, we'll be downhearted for a while, like last year after Kiev, before going on to further support our team and cheer them on for next season, again looking forward to it.

I don't think it helps to say that we must win this game. I for one hope that the lads can play out their full potential on June first, and will give anything again, so that there will be no regrets whatever the result. Going by what they have done until now, I'm sure that they will not disappoint us.

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
Big difference half a decade makes. I recall in May 2014 I didn't have much confidence Liverpool would challenge for the title in the next season. That's before we signed Balotelli and learned how fragile Sturridge had become. The squad had some high points (Coutinho, Sterling) but also a bunch of question marks (aging Gerrard, Mignolet, Skrtel, both backs), a fair amount of mediocrity through and through. There was certainly no sense the stars of football would want to make us their next stop, as that summer did prove. We remained very much also rans to City, United, Chelsea and Gunners. We'd overperformed that season

A whole different scenario now. Disappointing not to win, but a genuine confidence for the future. The owners have given up moneyball, hired and backed Jurgen Klopp. The players coming in are among the best at their positions in the world. No overperformance now, just Klopp getting exceptional efforts from very capable players. I feel like the owners will spend money this summer to make the squad even stronger.

One loss, 2/3 of the Boot, most clean sheets and a second Champions League final in a row (different result this time, hoping).

Liverpool's on the rise...again.

Last edited:

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
In the last 30 years we had quite a few managers. Apart from Klopp, only Rafa and Houllier tried to build a foundation to a club that will challange year in and year out. Houllier did it by utilising the best generation of players the academy ever produced ( Gerrard, Owen etc. ) and combining them with experienced players, which gave us the treble year. Rafa tried as well but H&G ruined everything.
BR, while almost won the title did it without building a foundation, which collapsed with the sale of Suarez.
I am bringing this up because a strong lasting foundation is what Liverpool was all about in the 70s and 80s. Sadly thr same goes to Utd in the 90s and early 2000s, and now it is City. Klopp and I think FSG understand that, build a strong foundation and silverware will come. If not this season than next.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
It's just a first step towards the top.
1. We have become relevant again after struggling thru the last decade. Not a single team, not a single player gave us the due respect during those times. We got rejected by every player and his dogs thru last few years. Players and agents - even irrelevant ones - used our name to get better contracts. Gone are those days. Now everyone will be afraid of facing us on the pitch. Every player will want to come here.
2. We have a strong squad which needs few (3-4) additions to become more strong. It doesn't have a glaring hole in the first 11 like the last few years. We didnt even have a decent LB, RB, CB, GB for years. Now we have world class ones.
3. Klopp and management staff have repeatedly achieved below miracle with this squad in the last 4 years.
League Cup final
Europa final
Champions League final
finishing in top4 2 times in a row
yet another Champions League final
an unbelievably close title run
4. We are being well run financially.
5. We are going to have a consolidated training facility for kids and senior team. Hopefully more kids will transition into senior team.
6. We have increased stadium capacity after years and years of failed efforts. Even if the count increased only by a little.
You can add more points.
To simply put - We are in a very good place right now. All we need to do is to take those little steps that will improve us further. We don't need to rebuild from scratch, as we tried multiple times again and again in the last 30 years. We need to march on. We will march on.

Onwards and Upwards. YNWA.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
97 points! Just wow! Unreal. one defeat all season, thirty wins - far beyond any of us expected, no doubt.
So we didn't win the league, sad but not tragic, our time will come, but but for 11mm we may have done! That's how close it was!
I am incredibly pleased with how far this team has come and so much to look forward to - Ox back to fitness, Keita finally finding his feet, a full season of Fab at full tilt - and that's before any additions. We will be back, bigger and stronger next year to give it another crack!

Just the small issue of a game left to play...!!

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
it is to simple to say 2nd is nothing. Shanks comment was in the 60s to the city of Liverpool, and would be out of context here. We won the golden boot ! the lost the least amount of games. We were the highest point scoring 2nd place, the two best assisting full backs, possibly the best goalkeeper on clean sheets (?), we got ore point that the Arsenal "invincibles" and more than Manu in their treble season !!!!

We are now back on the top shelf, and with consistency we will reach the top perch ! the UEFA final and last seasons final are just stepping stones to the top. Sure Man City are going to be hard to dislodge, but now is the time to celebrate what WE have achieved this season, and the greatest game is yet to come. Big ears the 6th awaits !

GaryC

I am confident we will be challenging for the title for the next few years. Klopp has instilled a mental resilience in our team not seen before. And he also believes in constant improvement. Add to this our Anfield fortress and we will be irresistible and unstoppable over the next few seasons.

Danny Sarge

That moment at the Eithad when Mane hit the post and Stones cleared when pressured by Salah I think that was the difference. Looking back I wish Salah had just bundled himself on Stones and the ball and just threw himself in the goal with all of the above included.

But in a nut shell I love my team and am extremely proud of their achievements and next season I believe the lads are gonna be even more hungry after missing out. Lets finish the season on a high and make it a 6th European title come June.

redwhiteley7

I thought when the ref gifted City a pen at the Etihad against West Ham when they were really struggling to find form and West Ham were right at it that it might cost us.And it did. Final score 1 GIFT GOAL TO NIL.
Sterling "going down under pressure". Couldn't see any pressure myself. Thanks Stuart Atwell,shit referee and twat.

redwhiteley7

Number 6 will make up for this. It is that big. It will put us back above Barca and Bayern in the overall standings,just one behind AC Milan. COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
All the other times we came runner up, the team lost key players and it felt like that was the big push - nothing left.

It is so different this time. Next season couldn’t come soon enough. If anything, every one of our competitors will have big changes - ours will be more a case of shoring up our back up options and creating a little more competition to the 1st 11.

There’s a belief around anfield, it’s moved on a notch from just “hope”.... whatever happens on 1st June - this team is heading to more success.