• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

So how are we all coping?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Back in the office working this morning.

This was a wonderful weekend will never be forgotten.

Saw some posts with 'can't wait for the new season to start' - tbh i'm happy it's over for now.

Watched too many games additionally to ours with the CL and EL semis - it costs lots of time.

So for now it's time to enjoy and relax.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
On my way back to work. I work for a big European corporate and fear I may have abused the company wide what’s app group by hitting reply all and posting a few tired and emotional videos late on Saturday night to my German, Dutch, French and mainly Spanish colleagues. General theme of this is what it means to be a fan, best team in Europe, shove your tippy tappy la Liga up your arse etc etc. You know the sort of thing. I may keep my head down for a few days now.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Back in the office working this morning.

This was a wonderful weekend will never be forgotten.

Saw some posts with 'can't wait for the new season to start' - tbh i'm happy it's over for now.

Watched too many games additionally to ours with the CL and EL semis - it costs lots of time.

So for now it's time to enjoy and relax.
I'm back in also and cannot concentrate!!!! Still watching videos.

Zinedine Biscan

Kylian me softly...
Ad-free Member
As much as the game itself was a disappointing spectacle, I can't help looking back out our CL campaign with not just bursting pride thinking about the highlights (the undoubted pinnacle of which being the 4-0 against Barca), but a fair bit of wonderment as well.

No arguing that we were poor in the group stage, the worst being the 2-0 defeat at Red Star that left us staring at the brink of dropping straight out of the competition after going so close only a few months earlier. Only 9 points out of the 18 on offer to qualify in second place. Fast forward seven months and we're lifting the cup after winning by the same scoreline. Just incredible.

And now the dust is starting to settle on the celebrations, I just cannot wait for the new season to begin, to see how this first trophy under Klopp will galvanise this magnificent set of players to even greater heights. If I was Pep and City, I would be fucking quaking. We avenged our CL heartbreak at the first time of asking, and we're coming for them next.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
And now the dust is starting to settle on the celebrations, I just cannot wait for the new season to begin, to see how this first trophy under Klopp will galvanise this magnificent set of players to even greater heights. If I was Pep and City, I would be fucking quaking. We avenged our CL heartbreak at the first time of asking, and we're coming for them next.
Only 10 days until the fixtures are released.

TheSweetSilverSong

I'm slowly able to start putting things in perspective. That helps me cope, but also helps me stay hovering above the ground, as I don't want to ever ever land back down - not until I have to, so a couple of months will do nicely for my sense of justice.

I always ignored discussions about prioritising or preferring PL or CL for this season, because I thought that the idea of choosing was a bad idea - both would always be the answer. But if I'd be asked what would be more significant, I'd always say the CL.
And although I knew my reasons, and they had to do with the significance of leaving Bayern and Barca behind us with a 6th trophy, and closing in on Milan who's on 7, as well as the majesty that follows being on top of Europe, there were more important reasons that I would feel - albeit a bit blurry at the time - and that are becoming very clear now that the dust has settled:

Going all the way to win it after proving we had what it takes to challenge last year, was so, so, so important.
For so many reasons.

(And the way it happened, despite having to witness a below par final performance, is actually the ideal way to settle this.
Wanted a spectacle? We already gave it in the previous 3 rounds, at least in one game in every tie.
The final was about being pragmatic; about showing that we can win it with our level, not by performing at 200% to do that extra step, like we did in 2005; about showing that whatever disadvantages held us back last year, were all sorted now, and that we are a force to behold!)

One of the reasons was the monkey off Klopp's back regarding finals, which was of course fictional as far as I was concerned.
But as much as it was fictional, fictional monkeys to get to you when it's all you hear. Just like Mo, who kept hearing he's a one season wonder early in the season, even if he was at the same tally as last season in as many games, and even if he knew he shouldn't pay attention, there was a period where it inevitably got to him.
We're humans. Same with Klopp - as much as he dismissed it and kept saying he doesn't feel it, when it's all he hears, it becomes a monster to defeat. And it's there that the personality rises, and both Salah and Klopp have managed to slay these fictional monsters and rise above! And it's so so important to shut everyone up.
And this extends to the club - no more can people point to how many years without a trophy (as they have been increasing, year after year, ignoring the time it takes to build a true force as Klopp himself proclaimed).
Had we won the PL it would still be a trophy, but the fictional monkey re: Klopp's finals would still be there.

Another reason was that (I believe) it was more important at this stage to settle what we fell short for last season.
Not settling it and winning the PL instead would have left something unjust in my opinion, that's how I'd feel.
Now we've settled that, justice is in place, and at the same time, we've done what's important in the league - we proved we've got what it takes to win it. To ourselves, to our rivals, to everyone. No matter what they say, they know it. They won't admit it, mostly, but it doesn't change that they know it. We have one of the best points tally in the history of the league, and the only reason we didn't win it is because it coincided with one of the only 2 better points tally in the history of the league. In effect, we are playing very much like champions, and one of the best ones ever. So whether that was enough in the particular season to win it or not is not the point.
The point is that we now know that we deserve to win the League, and that we have another score to settle. And having already done that in Europe, it equips us to go on and do it in the league as well. It's the right order. That doesn't mean it will be easy, or that we'll definitely do it.
It just has a sense of the right order.

I wish we could have won both, but just the way it happened is more than enough. Because I really believe that PL titles will follow. Yes. Plural. As long as Klopp stays for the decade, we'll get some titles, I believe we will. And we'll be a force in Europe as well. We are right now anyway, so that's enough!

So a sense of everything being the way it should be is what keeps me up in the air, just where I want to be, flying!
Being over the moon is just so worth the heart-attacks we've been through, throughout the season.
Trophies/titles is a result of what we're building with Klopp. The fact that we don't have to feel every chance we'll be missing out like being one in a decade, but that it's part of the process of getting there, is really golden. That's what Klopp brought back to our club, above everything else.
And I love it!

Flobs

FADA
Dane, I am still on/in a a cloud or on the moon or somewhere very light an fluffy. I am floating and enjoying myself.
I will warn you all when my usual old grumpy capricious self starts to re-emerge.
The only thing that's putting a little downer on all this are the TIA posters posting about what's up on Blue moon, Redcafe and spurs forums and what some stupid pundit might be saying. I just want to remind everyone this is about US not them let's enjoy it and leave them in peace in their misery. We won this, we got this we are champions!

igor_piss_can

I'm slowly able to start putting things in perspective. That helps me cope, but also helps me stay hovering above the ground, as I don't want to ever ever land back down - not until I have to, so a couple of months will do nicely for my sense of justice.

I always ignored discussions about prioritising or preferring PL or CL for this season, because I thought that the idea of choosing was a bad idea - both would always be the answer. But if I'd be asked what would be more significant, I'd always say the CL.
And although I knew my reasons, and they had to do with the significance of leaving Bayern and Barca behind us with a 6th trophy, and closing in on Milan who's on 7, as well as the majesty that follows being on top of Europe, there were more important reasons that I would feel - albeit a bit blurry at the time - and that are becoming very clear now that the dust has settled:

Going all the way to win it after proving we had what it takes to challenge last year, was so, so, so important.
For so many reasons.

(And the way it happened, despite having to witness a below par final performance, is actually the ideal way to settle this.
Wanted a spectacle? We already gave it in the previous 3 rounds, at least in one game in every tie.
The final was about being pragmatic; about showing that we can win it with our level, not by performing at 200% to do that extra step, like we did in 2005; about showing that whatever disadvantages held us back last year, were all sorted now, and that we are a force to behold!)

One of the reasons was the monkey off Klopp's back regarding finals, which was of course fictional as far as I was concerned.
But as much as it was fictional, fictional monkeys to get to you when it's all you hear. Just like Mo, who kept hearing he's a one season wonder early in the season, even if he was at the same tally as last season in as many games, and even if he knew he shouldn't pay attention, there was a period where it inevitably got to him.
We're humans. Same with Klopp - as much as he dismissed it and kept saying he doesn't feel it, when it's all he hears, it becomes a monster to defeat. And it's there that the personality rises, and both Salah and Klopp have managed to slay these fictional monsters and rise above! And it's so so important to shut everyone up.
And this extends to the club - no more can people point to how many years without a trophy (as they have been increasing, year after year, ignoring the time it takes to build a true force as Klopp himself proclaimed).
Had we won the PL it would still be a trophy, but the fictional monkey re: Klopp's finals would still be there.

Another reason was that (I believe) it was more important at this stage to settle what we fell short for last season.
Not settling it and winning the PL instead would have left something unjust in my opinion, that's how I'd feel.
Now we've settled that, justice is in place, and at the same time, we've done what's important in the league - we proved we've got what it takes to win it. To ourselves, to our rivals, to everyone. No matter what they say, they know it. They won't admit it, mostly, but it doesn't change that they know it. We have one of the best points tally in the history of the league, and the only reason we didn't win it is because it coincided with one of the only 2 better points tally in the history of the league. In effect, we are playing very much like champions, and one of the best ones ever. So whether that was enough in the particular season to win it or not is not the point.
The point is that we now know that we deserve to win the League, and that we have another score to settle. And having already done that in Europe, it equips us to go on and do it in the league as well. It's the right order. That doesn't mean it will be easy, or that we'll definitely do it.
It just has a sense of the right order.

I wish we could have won both, but just the way it happened is more than enough. Because I really believe that PL titles will follow. Yes. Plural. As long as Klopp stays for the decade, we'll get some titles, I believe we will. And we'll be a force in Europe as well. We are right now anyway, so that's enough!

So a sense of everything being the way it should be is what keeps me up in the air, just where I want to be, flying!
Being over the moon is just so worth the heart-attacks we've been through, throughout the season.
Trophies/titles is a result of what we're building with Klopp. The fact that we don't have to feel every chance we'll be missing out like being one in a decade, but that it's part of the process of getting there, is really golden. That's what Klopp brought back to our club, above everything else.
And I love it!
If I *had* to choose between the two big ones I'd have chosen the league, solely from a selfish point of view as I'm 25 & have never seen us win it, having also witnessed us come agonizingly close on a few occasions. But no doubt that the European Cup is the biggest thing you can win in club football. There's a reason why it's not abnormal for the likes of Barca, Juve, Madrid, PSG etc to sack their manager after walking the league, and that is because they've failed to win the most prestigious trophy in club football

igor_piss_can

In all honesty I'm not really that arsed about the Super Cup or Club World Cup. Always just seen them as glorified kickabouts for the Uefa & Fifa "Football Family" gimps. Minimal interest in the David Moyes Memorial Shield too. If we get through all 3 with no injuries & fitness issues / fatigue I'll be happy

Incognito

The Normal One
In all honesty I'm not really that arsed about the Super Cup or Club World Cup. Always just seen them as glorified kickabouts for the Uefa & Fifa "Football Family" gimps. Minimal interest in the David Moyes Memorial Shield too. If we get through all 3 with no injuries & fitness issues / fatigue I'll be happy
I actually want them for Klopp and players more than myself. Imagine them winning more trophies, be it even inconsequential ones; one it will drive them into inculcating that winning mentality further and two it would mean more trophies to show for Klopp who was always considered having nothing 'tangible' to show for his success. I personally am very excited :celebrating:

Last edited:

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
One additional gripe you could have with the Club World Cup: the two next editions will be played in Qatar... (insert puke emoticon)

igor_piss_can

I actually want them for Klopp and players more than myself. Imagine them winning more trophies, be it even inconsequential ones; one it will drive them further into inculcating that winning mentality further and two it would mean more trophies to show for Klopp who was always considered having nothing 'tangible' to show for his success. I personally am very excited :celebrating:
Don't get me wrong I'd be made up if we win, just worried about the effect it could have on the season physically (mainly the Club World Cup due to the time, location and number of possible games)

I really want to win the world club championship. We’ve never won it.
This is the first thing that popped into my head too. I want this in the cabinet. Was really gutted in 2005 when we didn't beat Sao Paulo thanks to a dodgy linesman

Teams so far qualified

Liverpool (England, UEFA)
Monterrey (Mexico, CONCACAF)
ES Tunis (Tunisia, CAF)
Hienghene Sport (New Caledonia, Oceania)
Al-Sadd (Qatar, AFC, Host country champion)

AFC Champions League - still to finish
CONMEBOL Copa Libatadores - still to finish