• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

So, what defines a good supporter?

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Its always a tricky debate really, but in some areas I think its a worthy discussion because there have been aspects which have niggled away at me for several years now, which in my view have contributed quite a bit to where we have ended up, and it is in part a cultural problem

the first issue is the concept of what some would call 'unquestioning support' but the more blunt would term 'blind faith' in the club and its activities. In some ways the club has built itself around a concept of 'one for all and all for one' but there are problems with this outlook. The downside is that it has led people to be overprotective of people who for one reason or another did not measure up to the challenges that their roles presented to them. Exhibit A: David moores and Rick parry. These guys frustrated me for years, yet people just would not, for a loooong time, accept that they lacked the dynamism necessary to run a successful modern football club. But as you see in certain constituencies in the UK, where you could put a trained chimp in a suit and stick a red [or blue] rosette on their lapel and they would be elected as a Member of Parliament regardless of policy or personality, the natural reaction was to assume they automatically knew best, because they were in charge. Sorry, but we needed and still do need to be a little bit more discerning than that. As we arent leading the way any more, there does need to be a greater awareness of what others are doing and the ability to learn from what they do and put our own slant on it. There is no shame in doing that, or admitting when we get or do something wrong

it is one thing I have found desperately frustrating, and perhaps its also down to living in lots of places and seeing lots of different ways of doing things. Perhaps the club has become too wedded to a particular outlook which has maybe lost some of its modern day relevancy. It may go against the old union solidarity concept but in modern football and business you simply cannot carry passengers out of sentimentality or merely because, say, they 'love the club', are Scouse or are 'nice blokes'. Still feel its going on and it does ultimately need to change if we are going to make any real headway. Need to be a bit more dynamic and accountable, and maintain strong and demanding standards

related to this, there is also a need sometimes for robust criticism. Club does not learn very well from its mistakes, and that is also at times due to being too protective or proud to admit when things havent quite worked the way we hoped they would. Its ok to make mistakes, just so long as you dont keep making them and learn from them. The latter is a continuing issue

being critical or expressing dissatisfaction with aspects of the way the club does its business is not being disloyal. Its wanting the club to learn, so that it can be successful again, its part of the process. Last 20 odd years it hasnt really been quite good enough all round, and it does need to improve. Improvement though wont be achieved by blind defence. If anything that will only ensure further regression. Doesnt mean everything we do is bad or doomed to fail but the whole thing needs to be on the same page in the end, with developments seen at all levels, which also cant be achieved by the old pulling up the drawbridge nonsense. Sadly thats one thing for instance Kenny perhaps slipped up maybe. Pity

Honestly, i do think FSG for instance are quite modern in their methods. Its the application which is the thing with me i.e. are they refusing to pay or are attractive enough employers to attract the best people they can for the jobs that need doing at the club. Settling for 2nd best shouldnt really be an option but...I just dont know any more sometimes seeing some things which are happening

lancashirelad

I joined this site at the end of October, and this question of what defines a good supporter has been going around in my head for four weeks now, Its a really excellent question.

Liverpool supporters have struggled over the past couple of decades. You go to Anfield, or watch on the telly expecting a win, regardless of the opposition. You start the season in August expecting at least one trophy come May. In the 20+ years since our last league winners trophy, time has been tough and frustrating. Do we have stupidly high expectations? Yes, of course we do.

Rivals fans can blame that on arrogance or whatever else, but the reason is we have become accustomed to winning something on regular basis.

Now, I am not pretending I have never heard our fans give the players stick or boo the team, because I have, and it embarrasses me.

A season ticket at Anfield for this season can cost £600+ to put in to perspective just understand how much loyal fans pay to support our team.

If you pay for your ticket, are you paying for your right to boo if your players don’t perform? Your hard earned wage goes on spending the best part of at least one day of your weekend on a ticket for the football game, whilst the players you are watching play earn several times the amount you earn in a year in just one week.

Yes, the money in football is ridiculous, but then, the money football brings in is equally ridiculous. Our Champions League win alone in 2005 saw us collect more than £80m. So yes, footballers earn stupid amounts of money, but believe you me, the clubs can earn a hell of a lot more, technology and content will explode in the next few years. But more often than not, when the team doesn't play well and the fans moan about how much money they've paid to watch that performance, it’s the players they whinge about, on their massive salaries, not the club itself for ripping you off…

This week Liverpool put on a truly awful performance against YB and finished the game with a poor 2-2 draw. They now have it all to do in the final game of the group and may not get (unlikely as it may seem) through to the next round.

Liverpool fans will believe that because we've supported our team all that way and spent all that money on away games, they have the right to voice their displeasure at such a dire performance, not only in mid week but also against Swansea.
I totally agree they have the right to criticize but it depends how they view their role as a “supporter” or “blogger”.

I ask of them the same I asked of the individuals who ripped us to shreds at West Brom on the first game of the season: what are you trying to achieve? Is booing the players going to make them play better? Are they playing like shit out of choice? Now you've booed them they are going to make the choice not to play badly? Or are you totally demoralizing them? Are you making them angry and frustrated as if they have nothing to play for? If our own fans hate the nonperformance so much , then what is the point?

I sat in my seat for ages after the final whistle following our 0-0 draw against Swansea . Maybe I was just stunned or numb, I’m not sure, but there were quite a few of us around in the early morning pub in Southern California. The fans had applauded our players off the pitch and sung of our love for them, despite the agonizing feeling that a quite unimpressive draw to our managers ex team was, at best, blind faith, and still we have hopes of the impossible act of us getting a top 4 position, yes, its still in the hearts of many many fans…however....not going to happen!

Stevie was marginal at best, I've seen today many fans on here and other sites question his professionalism and they will wonder whether he is in a position to lead the team But the point is, Stevie was subjected to something he is not used to. He played badly!

Very Badly

At Liverpool, he is untouchable, but yesterday he experienced something pretty shocking, and we could see it on his strained face.

Some of our bloggers are demoralized, that is their right, but slagging off a legend such as Stevie is not on, and we may yet contribute to our own team’s downfall if we're not careful. These are human beings, week after week they put on the “shirt” and occasionally they fail.

But if you sit there booing your own team and slagging off your own players, don’t expect them to come out fighting for the “shirt” in the following game. I’d love Stevie to score in the next game against Spurs or Southampton and kiss the camera again. In his own way its to get fired up and really give those other teams something to boo about the lad.

Alternatively, as many bloggers have implied today, just retire from the captaincy of the greatest team in England, and leave them to it. We’ll sing your name louder than ever next season because we will appreciate you more than ever

Being a football supporter, doesn't mean you never get fed up with your team and you’re never critical of your players. You obviously don’t become a robot stripped of emotion, but you should be able to bite your tongue and get behind your team. If Liverpool’s campaign ends with nothing this season, then booing the players off in that final game is probably understandable, we have high standards, whilst still not a tactic I would go for with my beloved team. But to criticize them now is madness. That is not a motivation to do well.
When our lads go home, whenever the score may be, the players and the manager will be blamed, but it is those fans out there, who've paid a shed load of money and who buy the scarves, the banners, the shirts, the memorabilia, who have contributed to their own team’s demise, which surely totally contradicts their role as a football true “supporter”.

Liverpool fans, quite rightly have high expectations, put in place by the all the trophies we've won, yet it is a rarity to see such a negative reaction from our fans. No set of supporters is ever perfect, but by and large, we get behind our lads, regardless of the performance or the score. The early 3-0 defeat at the hands of Mr Clarke set the stage and is a prime example of how poor we've become, not only as a team, but as a franchise, a dream, a love, a passion. You look at Liverpool fans, whose team have won trophy after trophy, and that was many years ago (OK two or three in past years), and you think why do we expect to win? Because we’re Liverpool!

Why do we fans demand such highs from a team who have repeatedly disappointed us? Yet whenever the team fails to meet their expectations, we boo and berate them. Can you imagine if Liverpool had lost 4-1 to Swansea? Or to Wigan? Our ears would be ringing for days following those boos from the “faithful”.

Regardless, we love our reds and just because other managers has spoilt us with success, we've spoilt you with our undying support and in doing so we have given the owners a free ride, a ticket, a ticket to misuse us on and off the field.

So what makes a good fan? Loyalty, not blind loyalty but one who understands what we’re going through and the time it takes to rebuild.

Basically
You don't give up on your team when they're having a rough time.

You don't give up on your favorite player.

You don't give up on your belief that things will get better

You support them and yourself just as you should your team, or anything else you may commit to in life.

Bandwagon fans are people who can't achieve success and greatness themselves so they cling on to people and teams who can to give them satisfaction.

That's all, just give a little time, if we're still a mid table team by February or March I'll join you, because by then I will say, yet again, we will win the league next season, something I've said since my youngest son was born, and sadly he's gone off to support Man City.. What a poor father I have become

YNWA

Justice for Anne Williams and her beloved son Kevin

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
I think its important to note that just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean they're a bad supporter.

I rarely agree with ChicagoRed or AnfieldRdDreamer, but I would never take anything away from them as a supporters. I disagree but respect them both.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think its important to note that just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean they're a bad supporter.

I rarely agree with ChicagoRed or AnfieldRdDreamer, but I would never take anything away from them as a supporters. I disagree but respect them both.
You mean nobody tells you to go support X, Y and Z club yet? :)

K

Kev

Some get very serious about this business.

On another forum which I won't mention the name of, its all you hear. You question certain aspects about the club, be it the manager, players past and present, whatever. It's a bit sad if you ask me.

I don't claim to be a good or bad supporter. I know that Liverpool is the only team I care about, and that's good enough for me.

I rarely go to Anfield because of where I live. If that makes me a 'poor' supporter in someone's eyes, that's fine. I'll not lose one minute's sleep over it.

Regular match going fans; good for you. Those that don't have no reason to consider themselves bad supporters. Its the global huge fanbase that makes this club what it is as far as I'm concerned.

If people from outside my home town supported my local club, I'd never get upset about it. The complete opposite in fact.

I've supported the club since I knew what football was and always will. Just because I haven't invested as much money into the club going through the turnstiles doesn't give me any less reason or right to either cheer or piss and moan about the club as I see fit.

If there are people that come on these forums and look down their nose or sneer at people who live abroad or don't attend matches then I find that one of the saddest things I've ever heard.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
So, just keep that in mind before you start getting so worked up that you feel the need to call other people out again and again or insult or belittle others in your post. There is no need to constantly feel insulted, or to feel the need to defend or justify yourselves as more rational, or better, smarter, more passionate supporters than others. Deep down, everyone believes that a little bit about themselves. Otherwise they wouldn't be here.

Take a breather. If you post something, be ready for it to be taken the wrong way, criticized, or mocked. If you feel insulted, go speak to a mod.
Thanks for the advice mate, but things written on an anonymous internet forum dont work me up or get me upset, certainly not to the extent where I'd go tittle tattling to the mods.

There is a lot to be optimistic about this season so far.
The way we destroyed both manc clubs, albeit not getting the results we wanted, the fightback against Chelsea being another example.

But there's a lot to be unhappy about too.

Seeing people being told to support another club, or having their support being called into question when they criticise the manager or players is just a little bit irksome.

This is not an enjoyable time to be supporting Liverpool, and it's made even less enjoyable when you try and discuss shortcomings and are just met with 'stop whining and bitching' responses.
Too many people bury their heads in the sand, and refuse to acknowledge and discuss the fact we are not in a good place as a football team.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Thanks for the advice mate, but things written on an anonymous internet forum dont work me up or get me upset, certainly not to the extent where I'd go tittle tattling to the mods.

There is a lot to be optimistic about this season so far.
The way we destroyed both manc clubs, albeit not getting the results we wanted, the fightback against Chelsea being another example.

But there's a lot to be unhappy about too.

Seeing people being told to support another club, or having their support being called into question when they criticise the manager or players is just a little bit irksome.

This is not an enjoyable time to be supporting Liverpool, and it's made even less enjoyable when you try and discuss shortcomings and are just met with 'stop whining and bitching' responses.
Too many people bury their heads in the sand, and refuse to acknowledge and discuss the fact we are not in a good place as a football team.
I agree, there are just 2 extreme ends of this forum or generally in any forums. I always emphasized the need to have constructive criticisms of the club and having different opinions should be welcomed. At the end of it all, different opinions but the same love for the club. Let us remember, if we want to hit the nail, hit it on the head, because if you hit it anywhere else, you most likely will hurt yourself. So lets go straight to the point, be objective in your criticisms, be constructive or else we will just be hurting this community here.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
I agree, there are just 2 extreme ends of this forum or generally in any forums. I always emphasized the need to have constructive criticisms of the club and having different opinions should be welcomed. At the end of it all, different opinions but the same love for the club. Let us remember, if we want to hit the nail, hit it on the head, because if you hit it anywhere else, you most likely will hurt yourself. So lets go straight to the point, be objective in your criticisms, be constructive or else we will just be hurting this community here.
Totally agree with that, and I guess it's only human nature for some people to see the glass half empty, where as I always see it half full.

For example someone might say we have only won once in 8 games, I will say we are unbeaten in 7.

I wouldn't describe the team is being in a bad place either - there is so much promise emerging, we are climbing the table and improving all the time. Suarez was labelled as not being a natural striker, yet is top goal scorer. We're bringing through really strong young talent and halleluyah, Lucas is about to return lol

Good times.

lancashirelad

Well said, I like the "nail" analogy

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Thanks for the advice mate, but things written on an anonymous internet forum dont work me up or get me upset, certainly not to the extent where I'd go tittle tattling to the modss....

Dane, I definitely appreciate your opinions and your passion for the club and that of almost all other posters here even if we don't always agree. And this post isn't necessarily directed at you or any other specific posters. But like I said, you have your perspective on things and others have theirs. No one here has a complete picture. There are too many assumptions, too many interpretations, too many personal biases and this is before mentioning all the closed-door stuff that happens in the club that we aren't even privy too. You and others might feel that it is a "fact" that we aren't in a good place and feel the need to discuss it but others might not.

It's not a discussion anyways if your mind is already set on your opinion being "facts" and that is mostly the problem with all the disagreements here at TIA. There are some posters that seem to think that their opinion makes them wiser, better, more knowledgeable or more passionate supporters when it really isn't the case. No one can really claim to be better or more knowledgeable really. So it would serve this forum greatly and definitely improve the quality of the discussions if people stopped taking their own opinions so seriously and privileging them as facts. But some people have decided that they know everything already that there is to know and that their opinions are completely factual, so they refuse to engage others in discussion and prefer only to spend all of their posts criticizing other people personally and belittling their opinions while bigging up themselves or saying that they know better or that they are better fans because of X, Y, and Z.

I personally think there is no point in any of that. Like I said, it's not a discussion if you make posts with the mindset that your opinions are already ordained as facts but unfortunately, this is how a few select, individuals feel about their opinions and it's unfortunate because they are often times the loudest and more frequent posters. What I take from posters like that is that their sole purpose here on TIA is not to engage in discussion but to make themselves feel better by just ranting and laying blame and criticism on anyone and everyone (perhaps after a disappointing result) or to boost their own egos simply and to impose themselves on others because they think they of themselves as flawless. They aren't really looking for responses unless they exactly mirror or agree with their opinions. Really they just want to state their opinions as facts. And like I said earlier, those people might as well not be here in a forum, and instead, go talk to a mirror or go talk to a doll or some other inanimate object that will just listen and won't respond.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
I thought this thread was gonna turn out to be horrendous...but I have really enjoyed most of the replies I've seen through these pages. Not enough likes to give out. A slow clap for the entire TIA community...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I thought this thread was gonna turn out to be horrendous...but I have really enjoyed most of the replies I've seen through these pages. Not enough likes to give out. A slow clap for the entire TIA community...
Its funny we can communicate with each other fine on the subject of loving the club. Shame its usually world war 3 everywhere else on the site :rolleyes:

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Its funny we can communicate with each other fine on the subject of loving the club. Shame its usually world war 3 everywhere else on the site :rolleyes:
Conflict can be healthy though. What a boring twee place the world would be if we always agreed with each other. I enjoy the debates, points made in a reasonable manner and backed up with an explanation of the opinion. I retain the right to respectfully disagree.
Whats a fan? Somebody who wants this club back on top of the pile. Simples.

duuuaaaane

I don't think we can categorise who is or isn't a good supporter.

I've been to one Liverpool game in the last decade. About 4 in the last two decades. Does that make me a bad supporter?

I don't think so, because I love the club, I've seen my idols leave time and time again but do I follow them or do I stick with LFC? The latter of course, LFC as a whole is a part of my life and will be forever. We're in dark days, but not as bad as we got in the mid-late 90's. Look what happened then a few years later, treble season, Champions League years, Title contenders.

I believe in LFC and we will get back to where we rightfully need to be - but, in the event we don't, I'll still be here, I'll still be LFC.

Those are the traits of a real fan, all you who can say the same, you're good supporters.

But those who rush to Twitter before the final whistle and curse out BR and condem everything we do if we lose a game. Keep your thoughts to yourself - that's not a good support - certainly not a constructive one either.

t34m43

Sticking with the team throughout, I have never wanted Liverpool to lose ever. Sometime you get the feeling people are willing us to lose, so their points about the manager and players are proved. You can definitely critique the club as long as it is well thought through. Even when Hodgeson was in charge I was begging for thing to turn around. For me the big no is people who see our league position now and say well time to buy a Man City shirt. Met people who do that rubbish too.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
i have an advantage over many on here as i became a supporter when we were in the second division, all my mates supported either the shite or man urinal but i stuck by my chosen team. over the years i saw more and more people migrate to anfield from other clubs to latch on to the glory which we had begun to achieve, but regardless i have supported my beloved reds for all bur 7 years of my life and will continue until the day i die, and when i die i will come back and haunt old trafford to make sure the bastards win nothing again.............

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Seemingly not me.

Too supportive of people who work at or run the club so get labelled pro-FSG (even though I criticize them for what they actually do wrong), or an FSG apologist, even accused of being an FSG PR worker.

Too optimistic about the teams prospects as try and see things from a logical perspective so either get accused of being deluded or accepting mediocrity.

And apparently I dont like and rate the right players so get accused of being a computer game/sky sports fan and a wannabe scout.

Toxic atmosphere in this site if you dont buy into the doom an gloom mentality you get treated like scum.

Give up really do.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Seemingly not me.

Too supportive of people who work at or run the club so get labelled pro-FSG (even though I criticize them for what they actually do wrong), or an FSG apologist, even accused of being an FSG PR worker.

Too optimistic about the teams prospects as try and see things from a logical perspective so either get accused of being deluded or accepting mediocrity.

And apparently I dont like and rate the right players so get accused of being a computer game/sky sports fan and a wannabe scout.

Toxic atmosphere in this site if you dont buy into the doom an gloom mentality you get treated like scum.

Give up really do.
Do what I do. Just ignore the doom mongers...and just carry on like there is a tommorow and a club to support tommorow.

And have a nice cold one at the end of the day. It helps...:)

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Seemingly not me.

Give up really do.
You're entitled to everyone of your opinions. As a matter of fact, a bit of naive delusion does the world of good to those of us who have become old grumpy, negative bastards in here... we need the optimistic side being played out as well, not only the realistic one, otherwise, I feel we'll soon all sink down in complete and utter depression... and who knows, you might be right with your optimism, and all the ' negative realistics' in here completely wrong, who knows after all?... :)

You just need to accept that not everyone in here shares your optimistic views on things, and deal with it in a levelheaded way, that's all.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Hope not being funny mate got no problem with contributing to discussions and debates thats what forums are for.

But when you have supposedly senior posters acting like they own the place and treating every poster who disagrees with them with scorn and derision and the only time they get called up on it is when people stand up for themselves and then both posters get warned.....

.......whats the point?

Its supposed to be a fuckin fan forum where people come to chat and discuss football an shate banter.

What the hell is the point in contributing if everytime you do your opinions get treated like shit and have to defend yourself from ridiculous immature accusations and insults?

That aint fun is it?

Fuck all point in contributing in here till some of the toxic atmosphere eases off a bit.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Anfield rd Dreamer, if you have a problem with some posters, just press that report button, mate. I haven't seen too much genuine vitriol being throwed at you lately, but maybe it has passed me by.

I'd like to re-state what I have said many times already in this forum: everyone is entitled to his opinion (and so it should f*cking be!), and no-one deserves vitriol thrown at him for stating his opinions.

On the other hand, this means also that if you have an opinion, and someone disagrees with you (applies for everyone, not only Anfield rd Dreamer), then discuss the matter, and if there is no common ground which can be found, just take it on the chin and agree to disagree.

I have sometimes the feeling that some posters here are on a mission to prove other posters wrong at all price, and that won't go down well obviously. It's all about balance, equilibrium, take a fresh breath of air, a good drip of beer, Yin and Yang, the balance of the four elements water-earth-air-fire, Yoda, the Force be with you...

Ok, that's me done with the philosophic lessons for today... :)

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Hope not being funny mate got no problem with contributing to discussions and debates thats what forums are for.

But when you have supposedly senior posters acting like they own the place and treating every poster who disagrees with them with scorn and derision and the only time they get called up on it is when people stand up for themselves and then both posters get warned.....

.......whats the point?

Its supposed to be a fuckin fan forum where people come to chat and discuss football an shate banter.

What the hell is the point in contributing if everytime you do your opinions get treated like shit and have to defend yourself from ridiculous immature accusations and insults?

That aint fun is it?

Fuck all point in contributing in here till some of the toxic atmosphere eases off a bit.
Dont you think you might just be over reacting a teensie weensie bit to something some anonymous internet user wrote?

Seriously, you need to take anything written on the internet with a pinch of salt, or just give as good as you get.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Dont you think you might just be over reacting a teensie weensie bit to something some anonymous internet user wrote?

Seriously, you need to take anything written on the internet with a pinch of salt, or just give as good as you get.
Not really no.

I can read this site perfectly fine and enjoy it that way no problem.

Only ever signed up to contribute my opinions because discussing, disagreeing and having a bit of banter is fun.

At moment it isnt fun.

So why bother contributing?

Will still be on here reading opinions and for the gossip and may hand out few likes on points I agree with just bit fed up of the atmosphere.

Its getting worse an some people on here seem to have the right to say what they like when newer members get bans for less.

Aint just talking bout said to me either here.

But this is derailing the thread and didnt mean to do that sorry guys.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
At moment it isnt fun.
Being a Liverpool fan full stop isn't much fun at the moment.

It's being made even less fun when you try and discuss things that are going wrong, and possible solutions to the problems, and are jumped upon by a certain little group of superscillious, ultra head in the sand type optimists, virtually telling you everything is ok and we should go and support someone else if we cant sit back and enjoy the ride without complaining.

Most of us just man up, take it on the chin, and give as good as we get.

Others spit their dummy out and say they dont want to play any more.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Only ever signed up to contribute my opinions because discussing, disagreeing and having a bit of banter is fun.
can i make a quick observation, wouldnt you cross swords a lot less if you agreed to see reason in the opposite side of an opinion once in a while?

the worlds not a black and white place, the best poster have an opinion, but are able to see the opposite of the fence.

not;

'fuck it, im an optomist and i cant divert from that path..ever...'

its like a politician who dare not be seen to say ' you know what, the opposition has a point here'..its quite frustrating.