• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

So, what defines a good supporter?

Lucas

Don't worry, Dane, us optimists have to put up with a certain group of doom and gloom, 'everything is shit', end of the world fans too, it works both ways! But yes, you have a valid point, both sides should acknowledge opinion, but a bit of polite conversation and acknowledgement would make TIA a better place.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
owners come and owners go but LFC remains the best club in the world...................
Well said mate, when it is all said and done I would hope that is what we are all here for-football.
Anywhere you are going to have totally opposed points of view as well as all points in between.
I don"t really believe there are many doom mongers ,as there are probably not many FSG apologists. Each extreme tend to regard the other as that opposite extreme.Most of us get frustrated to some degree or other when things are not going well, which has been the case for some years now and react in different ways.
It would be a prick of a world if we all reacted the same.
As another who was around in the 2nd div.days I've seen it all(or most) and probably get more frustrated than some.
As with most I want things to get better and have still not learnt the art of infinite patience(and I probably wont at my age).I do keep quiet a lot when I feel like going off my brain as we all have our views and of course,are entitled to express them,and ramming your own down others throats is not what I regard forums as being for.
At the end of the day we all want LFC back at the top of the pile where it belongs and it is totally reasonable to express your point of view when you don"t believe things are being done the right way- not that the powers that be are listening.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
The ideal fan - financially sound enough to be able to afford supporters club's fees and new kit every year and if local - season tickets,and without ever moaning about rises in price.....

Otherwise, someone who follows the club passionately through good and bad - understanding that at different points in history we will suffer both. Being able to acknowledge both good work and mistakes and the foresight to look at the context around each without taking them to religious extremes.

And finally patience - because without it you will go nuts........

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Don't worry, Dane, us optimists have to put up with a certain group of doom and gloom, 'everything is shit', end of the world fans too, it works both ways! But yes, you have a valid point, both sides should acknowledge opinion, but a bit of polite conversation and acknowledgement would make TIA a better place.
True, but most level headed supporters make an effort to see the others' point of view.

Some people, on both sides of this mythical division can barely see past the end of their noses.

End of the day though, we all just want to see our club being successful again.

Lucas

End of the day though, we all just want to see our club being successful again.
Exactly, every single person on these forums should remember these words when in dispute!

Poetry In Motion

Omnishambles
Being, what I would class a 'supporter' is increasingly difficult these days. In times where we are cursed by modern football, extortionate ticket prices, all-seater stadia and a domineering sense of corporate appeasement, supporters take their second-class seats in the background. Nowadays, this is deflected by promoting the 'family friendly' message. Come in, make yourself at home. Sit down and shut up. No drinking, no smoking, no shouting, no swearing. Every banner scrutinised and every flag examined. You're only funding the match! Along with the prawn sandwich mentality that plagues top-flight English stadia these days, there's a degree of inferred criminality on supporters that actually attempt what 20 years ago would have been called an 'atmosphere'. The day the suits whored the game to the highest bid, the soul died out of the game. Things changed, and the working-class roots of clubs began to reduce inexorably. In order to pay the extravagant wages, you need fans with chunky wallets. As the Taylor Report concluded, and Sky began its monopoly, the terrace culture British football prided itself on died. Standing, singing, character, creativity and passion was substituted for padded seating, family packages and corporate hospitality. I don't blame people for sacking games these days, why trudge through the pouring rain and pay top dollar to fund the billionaire lifestyle of some journeyman, who after the game will be back in his boat, sailing away with his trophy missus? Passion is eroded from football, currently. The bubble will burst sooner rather than later. Anyone can be a 'fan', but it takes a bit more bottle to be a 'true supporter'. That's how I see it.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Exactly, every single person on these forums should remember these words when in dispute!
Does the same apply to a set of supporters from a certain London club who's favourite chant is "we hate spurs more than you?"

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
There is no written or verbal doctrine to define a good supporter, as we individuals have different ways of expressing our affection for our beloved club. Some fans were supporters during the heights of the successes and other fans were born long after the success of the club had gone, so their perception will be dissimilar to an older supporter. There are many of us who were born in Liverpool and there are some of us who were born far away in different cities and countries. These diverse fans do not make them any less of a supporter.

We shouldn’t be afraid to voice our opinions whether it’s agreeing or not agreeing with the way the owners are running the club and its public relations, or which direction the manager is steering the team or the way the team are performing on the pitch and whether your viewpoint is in the minority or a majority. Constructive, analytical, critical debates are healthy in all walks of life. Tbh, I don’t always agree with some things or understand some of the heated debates here sometimes but I have to respect the other posters viewpoint. Sometimes, some debates make me think out of the box which I traditionally would not have agreed with and I may see things from a different perspective afterwards. I am also not expecting people to agree with my opinions and have to be prepared to accept that someone does not like my viewpoint, whether I like it or not. This is the essence of the TIA which allows us to think and speak freely, nobody should have the monopoly on any thread.

Honestly speaking, over these last few years I have been a confused and a disillusioned fan with the way our various teams have performed and I despair of our situation sometimes. I worry about our divisive fanbase because without the fans the football club is nothing. The last 5-6 years has been quite trying times for any LFC fan and we have been ridiculed by malevolent rivals. Whenever I feel I have lost my way as a supporter, I just go back to the beginnings of how and why this club was built and its philosophy of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’ and it has made me more determined than ever to see our club through the good, bad and ugly times. We fans have been waiting for 22 years to get our 19th league title. I don’t know if I will ever live to see the 19th and God forbid, if we ever get relegated to the first division, I am still going to be supporting this club 100%. Owners buy and sell clubs, players come and go, but this is our club, it is in our soul and in our psyche and that is never going to change.

We supporters want our club to be at the top of mountain and I am optimistic that this will happen one day and I try and believe we are on the right path but I don’t know when it will happen. When our backs are against the wall against a common adversary and when tragedy hits us hard, we all reconcile and never give up and we support each other despite our ‘in family’ quarrels. We reds are like branches on a tree but we may grow in different directions, yet our roots remain as one which is Liverpool. We all want the same thing, to see our club grow to its highest peak, this is our unity. This is what makes us Liverpool.

Please excuse my over-sentimentality here, but when it comes to Liverpool… “But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve” Othello 1604.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
There is no written or verbal doctrine to define a good supporter, as we individuals have different ways of expressing our affection for our beloved club. Some fans were supporters during the heights of the successes and other fans were born long after the success of the club had gone, so their perception will be dissimilar to an older supporter. There are many of us who were born in Liverpool and there are some of us who were born far away in different cities and countries. These diverse fans do not make them any less of a supporter.

We shouldn’t be afraid to voice our opinions whether it’s agreeing or not agreeing with the way the owners are running the club and its public relations, or which direction the manager is steering the team or the way the team are performing on the pitch and whether your viewpoint is in the minority or a majority. Constructive, analytical, critical debates are healthy in all walks of life. Tbh, I don’t always agree with some things or understand some of the heated debates here sometimes but I have to respect the other posters viewpoint. Sometimes, some debates make me think out of the box which I traditionally would not have agreed with and I may see things from a different perspective afterwards. I am also not expecting people to agree with my opinions and have to be prepared to accept that someone does not like my viewpoint, whether I like it or not. This is the essence of the TIA which allows us to think and speak freely, nobody should have the monopoly on any thread.

Honestly speaking, over these last few years I have been a confused and a disillusioned fan with the way our various teams have performed and I despair of our situation sometimes. I worry about our divisive fanbase because without the fans the football club is nothing. The last 5-6 years has been quite trying times for any LFC fan and we have been ridiculed by malevolent rivals. Whenever I feel I have lost my way as a supporter, I just go back to the beginnings of how and why this club was built and its philosophy of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’ and it has made me more determined than ever to see our club through the good, bad and ugly times. We fans have been waiting for 22 years to get our 19th league title. I don’t know if I will ever live to see the 19th and God forbid, if we ever get relegated to the first division, I am still going to be supporting this club 100%. Owners buy and sell clubs, players come and go, but this is our club, it is in our soul and in our psyche and that is never going to change.

We supporters want our club to be at the top of mountain and I am optimistic that this will happen one day and I try and believe we are on the right path but I don’t know when it will happen. When our backs are against the wall against a common adversary and when tragedy hits us hard, we all reconcile and never give up and we support each other despite our ‘in family’ quarrels. We reds are like branches on a tree but we may grow in different directions, yet our roots remain as one which is Liverpool. We all want the same thing, to see our club grow to its highest peak, this is our unity. This is what makes us Liverpool.

Please excuse my over-sentimentality here, but when it comes to Liverpool… “But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve” Othello 1604.
Lovely post Maria, an absolute delight to read and so true.

Maria

Ad-free Member
Aww guys, many thanks, you making me blush !

From a personal perspective, when I first joined the TIA, I didn’t think I could find my voice on football here because I thought this was a ‘man’s forum’ and it seemed that they were the only ones who were sanctioned to discuss Liverpool and because everyone seemed to know each and everything about Liverpool, football formations, transfers, discussing player positions etc and the discussions were of a high standard. Also, you guys seemed to have this style of humour and this kind of 'bromance' with each other and I felt like I was an interloper. In the early days, it took me a long time to pluck up the courage to post here, even though half the time I post gibberish anyway but nevertheless, I try my best to contribute constructively.

EDIT: My mother thinks I should pay more attention to the netball league!

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Hi Maria! You are a girl!!! Yeah! Hi, I am from Singapore.

:D :D :lol: :lol:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
@gasband.... Maria is a woman, and you stand no chance mate. Sorry. ;-)

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Aww guys, many thanks, you making me blush !

From a personal perspective, when I first joined the TIA, I didn’t think I could find my voice on football here because I thought this was a ‘man’s forum’ and it seemed that they were the only ones who were sanctioned to discuss Liverpool and because everyone seemed to know each and everything about Liverpool, football formations, transfers, discussing player positions etc and the discussions were of a high standard. Also, you guys seemed to have this style of humour and this kind of 'bromance' with each other and I felt like I was an interloper. In the early days, it took me a long time to pluck up the courage to post here, even though half the time I post gibberish anyway but nevertheless, I try my best to contribute constructively.

EDIT: My mother thinks I should pay more attention to the netball league!
This isn't a man's only forum as you have found out, Maria. On the contrary, girls/women are most welcomed here, because they often shed light on things in a different, nuanced and often highly intelligent way (contrarily to us testosteroned brutes).

Your previous post shows it clearly enough: by far and away the best post in this thread imo. Hats off to Mrs. Maria, gents! :)

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
@gasband.... Maria is a woman, and you stand no chance mate. Sorry. ;-)
oh my! Woman, girl...all the same! I am no boy too, I am a man! Haha.. ok sorry Maria... just excited to see a woman on the boards.

And Eddie...why are you so sure I stood no chance? :D

5euros

TIA Legend
A good supporter gives credit where credit is due and criticism where criticism is due. A good supporter needs a balance of these. Blind faith doesn't help the club, neither does constant criticism. Both are unwarranted. That said, a good supporter should be entitled to be very passionate on issues that sometimes aren't rational. Take my support of Andy Carroll for example. Football is deeply ingrained in your heart and soul, though. So it's difficult to exactly define what exactly makes a good supporter whenever we're all different human beings who react to our love of football differently.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
From a personal perspective, when I first joined the TIA, I didn’t think I could find my voice on football here because I thought this was a ‘man’s forum’
for real?

when you first joined the place was more like a fucking childcare centre crossed with a lunatic asylum, its no coincedence that since a few certain posters have kept a low profile the forum has come on in leaps and bounds, where you can actually debate a point of view without seeming to be on someones 'team' or not.

NZred

The Red From NZ
A GREAT supporter is someone who manages to convince their sport hating wife to have Liverpool flags in their wedding photos

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
why would a great supporter have a sport hating wife?

confused.

Maria

Ad-free Member
for real?

when you first joined the place was more like a fucking childcare centre crossed with a lunatic asylum, its no coincedence that since a few certain posters have kept a low profile the forum has come on in leaps and bounds, where you can actually debate a point of view without seeming to be on someones 'team' or not.
Redbj, I had no experience of football forums before I joined TIA. I had this presumption it was like ‘the old boy’s club’ but it was not the case as I later found and I didn’t know what to expect, it was an eye opener. Anyhow, times have changed and I have gotten used to the mayhem in between the tranquillity here.The diversity of views are quite thought provoking and with the added comic relief makes it an interesting place.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
i can't get my head around all this in fighting we have on this forum, at the end of the day we all support the greatest club in the world and FFS let's bury any hatchets that ever arise.........

Wathik_LFC

TIA Youth Team
That's a tough one.

I purposefully leave the toilet seat up to send a message to the wife that I am a man and I pee standing, plus it really bugs her. When she complains I claim memory loss. However, one must always wash their hands after using the toilet.

Life is a mystery just enjoy the ride and do what you love. Love what makes you passionate. Love what makes you happy and wash your hands, dirty bastards ..