• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Son Heung-Min (FW) Hamburger SV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin

Quotes from the player (and van der Vaart)

Liverpool seeking South Korean forward Son Heung-Min

By This Is Anfield on November 22, 2012

Liverpool have approached German side Hamburg over their South Korean forward Son Heung-Min, according to reports on Thursday and quotes from Hamburg player Rafael van der Vaart.

Van der Vaart is quoted saying: “He [Heung-Min] must stay here [Hamburg]. Of course it is tempting when Liverpool approaches you and offers twenty million [Euros].

“Yet here he has confidence, he plays regularly and can get better. He is a very important player for us.”

Heung-Min, 20, has six goals in 12 games in the Bundesliga this season. But his current deal expires in 2014 and has stalled on signing a new contract with Hamburg – so van der Vaart’s claim of a £16m bid seems rather unlikely. Previous reports had suggested a fee of less than £10m would be more likely.

Earlier this week Heung-Min commented on the speculation, saying “I am as yet unaware whether I am to sign a new deal with Hamburg this winter.

“Still, there is no doubt that I am very happy with my current situation at Hamburg. I like the club and I love the fans.”

Heung-Min can play as a forward or attacking midfielder.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Don't know anything about him till I saw the obligatory youtube highlights reel.

One thing I did notice is that there were at least three very well taken goals in there where he had to use both his feet. I recall at least two goals which he finished with his left. The rest were belters with his right - obviously his preferred foot. Suffice to say though, for a twenty year old wide player to be so two-footed is a very good sign. Playing so comfortably in the German top flight at such a young age also suggests that he has ability and maturity beyond his tender age. Definitely seems like a real prospect.

Is he worth the sum that is being touted around though? I can't say. I've only seen one youtube highlight reel up until this moment.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Van Der Vaart reveals Liverpool have offered £16m for Heung Min Son

Found this circulating, any truth?
But fck me, 16million for unknown player is way too risky, considering the amount of money we wasted.
I would politely refuse this, We need proven goalscorers.

OhYaBeauty

Another good player, if not for the right price. I'd expect him to cost closer to 10 million pounds, but I guess we'll see.

Not exactly what we need, though, as we already have two left forwards in Sterling and Assaidi; we need a primarily right sided player.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Signed him on FM13, he's class.

Fits the profile of player we are after and can play any of the front 3 roles. Less than £10m would be a superb signing IMO.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Another good player, if not for the right price. I'd expect him to cost closer to 10 million pounds, but I guess we'll see.

Not exactly what we need, though, as we already have two left forwards in Sterling and Assaidi; we need a primarily right sided player.
Agreed that we need a predominately right-sided player to replace Downing - i.e. a left-footer who can cut in from the right - but as you can see on the video, he is very strong with both his feet. You don't expect a twenty year old, new to the top flight, to be able to dribble and score with his weaker foot numerous times throughout his debut season. I'll definitely agree that for ~£10m, he would be a big bargain. Seems to have bags of potential. And not short of immediate quality and top flight experience either.

It's harder to find a left-footed player for sure. They usually cost more too because they are in such short supply.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.

Fits the profile of player we are after and can play any of the front 3 roles. Less than £10m would be a superb signing IMO.
Less or even around that price he would definitely be an option to consider. But I'm not too sure how reliable are those quotes from VdV.

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]

[background=transparent]Hamburg's South Korean forward Son Heung-Min hit his sixth goal of the season to lift his side into the top half of the table and spark further speculation about his future.[/background]
[background=transparent]Son, 20, grabbed the only goal of the game to see off Mainz 1-0, putting away a cross from Maximilian Beister who appeared to be in an offside position when he delivered the ball.[/background]
[background=transparent]The €10 million-rated forward is under contract with Hamburg until 2014, but is reported to be attracting interest from clubs including Arsenal and Liverpool.[/background]
[background=transparent]Reports have suggested he could be on the move in January, but Die Welt quoted him as saying: "My agent won't tell me anything about it.[/background]
[background=transparent]"It's difficult for me. I am under contract until 2014 and have to discuss things with my dad and my agent."[/background]
[background=transparent]Hamburg general manager Frank Arnesen has said the club faces a huge battle to keep him.
[/background]

[background=transparent]http://soccernet.esp...ung-min?cc=5901[/background][/background]

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
From Wiki:
'
Son is known as a versatile attacker due to his ability to use both feet equally well; he can play either as a striker, attacking midfielder, or winger on either side. Son has confirmed this, saying, "I don't care where I play. The main thing is I'm in the game. I can play right, left, as a forward or behind it. What the coach says, I'll do. I don't have a favorite position. I'll be anywhere and always on the throttle.

Noice.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]
Nikola Mitrović ‏@Type_O_Nikola[/background]
[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]
@dan_bu Mr. Daniel, was there any contact between Liverpool and Hamburg regarding Son? Thank you.[/background]

Daniel B. ‏@dan_bu
@Type_O_Nikola No official contact yet, according to Arnesen.

Nikola Mitrović ‏@Type_O_Nikola
@dan_bu Do you see Hamburg selling in January? He's a forward, right?

Daniel B. ‏@dan_bu
@Type_O_Nikola Can play centre-forward or on the flanks. HSV want to extend his deal, but if a serious offer arrives, they need to think.

This is as close as it gets to Hamburg SV when it comes to press.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I watched this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa3zOxbAuxY

and his finishing looks pretty good.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think that figure from Van der Vaart is probably just plucked out of the air for dramatic effect. Either that or included wages etc. I dont see us paying that much for a player with limited experience.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Don't know much about him but watching that clip was interesting.

Good finishing, can certainly use both feet and generally seemed a handful.
Might be well worth a shout but sub 10m would be tops, I'd have thought .
He's only 20 might be worth anything down the track.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If we get him, wonder if the Kop going to dedicate a song for him with the Gangnam Style tune.... :)

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
He looks about a million times better than Sturridge...

Love that little chip over the keeper a couple of minutes in, and takes a good free kick as well by the look of it.

Greg

TIA Reserve Team
I'd love it if we signed him. I live in Korea and it'd mean they show the games! That said, I've not really heard much hype about him. Which is odd, because Koreans totally overhype all of their athletes/sports stars.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
I'd love it if we signed him. I live in Korea and it'd mean they show the games! That said, I've not really heard much hype about him. Which is odd, because Koreans totally overhype all of their athletes/sports stars.
That is probably because he has never really played in Korea on senior level ...

As far as I know, he has went to HSV directly from high-school ...

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
From the clips what impresses me most was how he struck the ball, clean, balanced and some power.
Apart from that I know nothing................ as a certain Spanish waiter once said (probably not the one your thinking off Roman!).
I am in the category of anyone BUT Stirridge.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Haven't seen the lad before but would this be the sort of signing to take a chance on,even if we were to pay what we consider over the odds.If he works out,great for us.If he ends up just being a decent squad player he could pay for himself through shirt sales

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Haven't seen the lad before but would this be the sort of signing to take a chance on,even if we were to pay what we consider over the odds.If he works out,great for us.If he ends up just being a decent squad player he could pay for himself through shirt sales
Agreed ... The kid is obviously talented, and we could definitely use some visibility in the big Korean market ...

Status
Not open for further replies.