• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Southampton v Liverpool Saturday 5.30pm K.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kopite1982

Not a easy place to go & lost here last season quite badly if i recall 3-1.Also played us off the park at anfield & looked the home team early on this season. Huge game & vital we pick up something as we have a long break after this untill man utd away. I supose 1pt wouldnt be so bad however, chelsea/spurs/villa have all won here so its not impossible. There a very good team, like to press high up like us & look to control the game.

Does rodgers go with the same team or does he bring in allen for coutinhio to allow us to take more control in that midfield.

I see goals in this & going for 2-2.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
If we want to win the title, we need to win this game. However if we want to settle for 4th, dropped points aren't the end of the world. Southampton away is a tricky one and we'll need to tighten up our defense. However they've dropped off a bit as of late and I think they're not as sharp as they were when they beat us at Anfield. I'm predicting a strange clean sheet for us, 2-0. Suarez is due to score a few. A win here would be so massive.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Would love to win this but have it down as one of the games along with United that I would take a draw. Not so much a "must win" as a "must not lose" for me.

Will be a tough game and a true test of our supposed title credentials (although personally I think we only really have a realistic chance of a top 4 place this season). They have a very good record against us and with their pressing game wwe have often come unstuck in the past. The key things really will be how well we can defend as a unit (avoid stupid errors like against Swansea) and finishing off any half decent chance we get.

Personally I would stick with the same backline as opposed to bringing in Toure (because he has a tendency to get nervous when put under a bit of pressure) with Flanagan and Johnson swapping positions. Only change to the starting XI I would make is bringing in Allen for one of Sterling/Coutinho to help control the midfield.

My starting team:

Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Agger Flanagan​
Gerrard Allen​
Sturridge Hendo Coutinho​
Suarez​

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Time for 4-4-2?

Gerrard hang back behind Allen, Coutinho and Henderson, with Coutinho plays more centrally? Supporting Suarez and Sturridge plays as 2 centre forwards. Back four, if Agger is not injured, play him. Cissokho in with Johnson on the right. Be more technical, it's more like 4-1-3-2. If that don't work after first half, inject some pace in with Sterling. Those 3 I mentioned should press and run their midfielders ragged.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
SoueysTash said:
I'd leave coutinho out for Allen. Sterling is much more dangerous
Lacks feeder. Allen not that great of a feeder at final 3rd and Sterling too. Without Coutinho in the setup we may rely heavily on Gerrard who sits deep, unless we are looking to play route 1 long ball style. The reason I put 2 forward upfront is because of the comment I remembered from Mourinho. Chelsea was held for the first 45 mins, and he put 2 centre forwards to push their midfield and defence deeper, that way they can't keep pressing, play that high line and compress the pitch.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Rambler said:
Would love to win this but have it down as one of the games along with United that I would take a draw. Not so much a "must win" as a "must not lose" for me.
Hmmm... but in some ways if we accept a "must not lose" type of personality it will be hard for us to ever be champions. In my mind, every game is a "must win" if we are to be serious about where we want to be as a club (and that is at the top).

I guess I can see some flexibility if we were competing for cups at the same time and we need to balance other priorities... but that is not the case this season.

Zoran

First and foremost they should be worried about us.

Especially the way we can press now from the front and not let teams play which we didn't have when we met them earlier in the season, Southampton can get into trouble when you don't allow them that, a bit like we did against Everton.

Rodgers has found the balance between midfield and attack, he now only swaps 1-2 places depending on the opponent but always makes sure that Henderson (the one who works the hardest from the midfield trio) is closest and covers for either Suarez/Sturridge (whoever is 'out of the striker position' that day) and that Sterling (the one who works the hardest from the front trio) is closest to Coutinho and can get back in a block to protect/defend.

The other alternative would be maybe putting Allen in either from the start or during the game if we're struggling and give even more freedom to Suarez and Sturridge to concentrate themselves on their two CB's, a bit like how Chelsea did against them at the Bridge when Mourinho went to a more narrow and compact 4-4-2.

I'm more afraid of our defence at the moment than them, I only wish we keep it tight at the back with less individual mistakes and Mignolet to be more of a presence. They do have people who can hurt us like Lambert who can keep the ball up and provoke fouls, Rodriguez who is a good ball-carrier/counter-attacking player, not close to being as creative as Lallana (a player without strict position, you just let him play) but a striker coming from wider areas who likes to attack the space with the ball and take shots off from in and around the box.

So hopefully we can minimise our weak areas at set-pieces and teams going 'through us' on the counter attack (but hopefully we'll win the ball earlier or stop them and control the game). Up front we have too much quality at the moment even if they have found a bit of stability again in terms of performance and results. Think they had a nice unbeaten run with a couple of wins before the defeat in the cup and the West Ham game. Dangerous opponents but I believe we can do it if we bring our A game on the day.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
lfc.eddie said:
Lacks feeder. Allen not that great of a feeder at final 3rd and Sterling too. Without Coutinho in the setup we may rely heavily on Gerrard who sits deep, unless we are looking to play route 1 long ball style. The reason I put 2 forward upfront is because of the comment I remembered from Mourinho. Chelsea was held for the first 45 mins, and he put 2 centre forwards to push their midfield and defence deeper, that way they can't keep pressing, play that high line and compress the pitch.
Henderson is more than capable of being the feeder. Sterlings ball winning is as good, if not better than Coutinho and he carries a greater threat - we could still play 2 up front except have something more for the fullbacks and centre backs to worry about with Sterling rampaging down a wing.

koptician

We'll go again!
Just get Coutinho and Hendo to press like they did against Everton and Arsenal and Gerrard to pick up anything getting through. Sturridge and Suarez to switch playing the central of the front three. Sterling as is. I might even drop Johnson for Sissokho given that he isn't yet up to speed

TheSweetSilverSong

We will hear a lot about how Pocchetino has done excellent against us, and how Southampton has had a very good season, and how we lost at home and this is away, and how we should be happy with a point, but in reality everything's different at this stage:
Firstly, our game has evolved since 2013, meaning that we had major problems vs teams that pressed relentlessly. In 2014 (starting with Spurs in 2013 actually), with the transformed 4-1-2-3 with the 2 being somewhat deeper CM and pressing very hard themselves, and the forwards backtracking and harassing, we have managed to find the perfect antidote for such sides.
Secondly, Southampton inevitably didn't last their brilliant start, and are far less consistent than they were in the beginning of the season. We, the opposite.
Thirdly, and most importantly, when we have faced them at home this season, I knew right from the start we would find it very hard to score. We only had 1 striker available, and very limited supply to him, only from one route, thus making both the delivery and the reception very predictable and the opposition knew where to concentrate. It was a matter of time before we would be punished while trying to score.
It is no the case in this game: We have both strikers available, with Suarez long overdue a goal (and remember that he's been playing great, so it's not a huge dip in form or something, it's just a natural golascoring draught that is bound to end) and Sturridge scoring pretty much every game. We have great delivery from the sides (Sterling left, Suarez/Sturridge right, overlapping with Johnson meaning that the one on the right can double the one that's central), and in numbers from the center (both Coutinho and Gerrard).

For me, it's all down to one thing (and that one thing depends solely on us):

Will we enter the game in blitz mode and press a la vs Arsenal/Everton? Then the game should be ours.
Will we not? Then anything can happen.

I sure hope it's the former case :)

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Said it on a few other threads, with the way they pressed us high up the pitch the last few games we need a bigger presence in midfield. Imho we also need a fast player for counter attacks more than we need our maestro Coutinho. I'd keep the same back four we started with (unless Sahko is back for Agger) and keep Flanno on the left as he tends to defend better and get forward less, this may be needed for Shaw. Team below

---------------------------Migs---------------------------
Flanno----------Skrtel---------Agger------------Glen
--------------------------Stevie-------------------------
---------------Hendo------------Allen-----------------
Sterling------------------DS------------------Suarez

I've put Sterling on the left for pretty much the same reason as Flanno, to help out with Shaw. I also think Suarez will find a lot more going against their RB whoever they pick for that (probably Clyne after the West Ham debacle). With SG providing the quick counter and Hendo/Allen both able to get up and down the pitch i think this will be our best formation against a team that pressed us to death last time.

Some say it's more a no lose than a must win but i think if we want a chance of winning the league (i know, i know) then with Arsenal being the only other team with a fairly difficult game that the 1 point won't do. In fact unless we are playing a team in direct competition with us i don't see how the 1 extra point will help us too much. Draw against Spurs and we don't lose ground, draw against Southampton while teams around us win and it's a different kettle of fish. Anyway, i'm hoping for a 3-1 win here, thinking BR will have learned something from the last 2 games against them.

kopite1982

Im so excited about this game. I know its BiG ifs and buts, BUT a win like dane said takes us 3rd, & i really fancy stoke to turn over arsenal & that would put us second. How much confidence would that give us? Still goin for a score draw BUT its nice to be in this position dont you think?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Their recent winning record: WDWLL. In the league, it reads DWWDL. At home, they have a record of LWDD in the league since the beginning of this year.

Arsenal got a 2-2 draw there end of January, but the example to follow is clearly Chelsea, who managed to win there 3-0 in a convincing display. While being typically solid during the first half, Mourinho introduced Oscar and Willian in the early second half, and they had a proper go at them which led to the three goals and a comfortable win in the end.

I pretty much agree with what has been said above, we need to put them on the backfoot and try to benefit from their momentary doubts (lost two games in a row against Sunderland and West Ham) and also from the fact that they have nothing left to play for. We must build on our strengths and score many goals, that's probably the way to go, while simultaneously crossing fingers that we can resist on set pieces, and avoid making too many individual mistakes.

I for one would put Agger on the bench and bring back Kolo for this one. Despite all of Agger's qualities, this is our settled center-back pairing for the time being, and based on his two indifferent performances since coming back, Daniel needs to bide his time. He shouldn't be given a free-pass in this team. Promotion on merit is the way to go imo, and he doesn't deserve a start for the time being (unless he's busting a lung at each every training session, that is...).

I'd also consider bringing back Cissokho into the backline if I'm honest. I know it's not likely and Glen will probably start again, but my take is that Aly has been more solid defensively than Johnson throughout the season. On merit, he should come back into the starting team, as Johnson was far from convincing against Swansea, and we badly need stability in this backline. Maybe BR could consider giving Flanagan a rest and put Johnson back at his best position on the right?

Anyway, the key is to put them under pressure from the off and not letting them find any rhythm, so in essence giving them back from that medicine they handed us so efficiently at their ground and at Anfield in 2013.

One thing is sure, the lads won't be complacent for that one after two defeats in a row against this team, and hopefully they'll be confident enough to have a proper go at them. Still, Pocchettino seems to have found the knack how to tactically counter us, so it will be a tricky one, and we will no doubt need more of that resilience the team has shown lately when the chips are down. Not an easy one, but very much winnable imo.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
I would be happy with a draw.We need to sacrifice a bit of our attacking abilities.The one thing Southampton are good at, is that --- tactically they will be nicely set up by Pochettino.So if we go all guns blazing, then we could easily be a couple of goals behind.

This is what I would like.

-------------------------Mignolet-----------------------------
Flano-------------Skrtel/Kolo------------------Agger------------Aly(Glen is not fit and not good enough at left)
----------Allen---------Gerrard------Hendo--------------
Sturridge----------Suarez------------------Sterling

If we keep it tight, then we do have the ability to slice any defence over 90s.And more importantly finish our chances.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
A really tough selection to make for a key game. Win this and the sky's the limit - but a solid draw isn't the end of the world.

---------------Mignolet---------------
Flanagan-Kolo-Agger-Cissokho
---------------Gerrard----------------
-----------Hendo---Allen------------
--Sturridge--Suarez--Sterling----

In centre defence I would pair Agger and Toure on their natural sides, Toure has a mistake in him but crucially he is a calming influence on the defence and has a bit of vocal organisation about him, which Agger and Skrtel both lack. I'm a lot more comfortable with Kolo/Agger than I am with Skrtel/Agger or Skrtel/Kolo.

I would bring in Cissokho for Johnson, the former being way more defensively solid and far more energetic than Glen.

In midfield I would drop Coutinho for Agger, to provide a more solid midfield. Hendo's instinct is to drive forward, but Allen will give Gerrard more support and prevent us getting overrun.

SSS can just do their thing.

pottymonster

Peanut butter!
Mascots 11 is the same one I'd play, but Kolo/Skrtel are a wash for me. Doesn't really matter which one we play, both of them are liable to do something crazy.

The key to this one will be Gerrard. He was pulled all over the pitch against Swansea and there were holes everywhere. If he can be more composed and properly cover the space, we should be fine.

Like others say, a win will keep us in the title race, a draw will be fine if we're content with 4th.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
I they look to control the game and play high up the pitch it will suit us better - its when Sturridge has looked at his most dangerous when there has been space to work with in behind the back four.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
We have to press them back and away from our final third.

If we just give up central midfield, hoping to hit them on the break, we'll be playing into their hands in this particular case. This is what happened in our last two defeats versus this lot, so we can only hope that BR has learned something from them.

We just can't afford to give them midfield superiority because we will get punished.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
If everyone comes to play and we hit them from the off, no reason to believe we can't pull this off and if we do, who knows?

Mignolet
Flanno Skrtel Agger Johnson
SG
Hendo Allen
Sterling Sturridge Saurez

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
if this was a fixture before december then i would have been worried... southamptom were in a good form at that time but right now thye arent i saw them play against west ham and they werent the same team.... having said that we have a chance... but its for us to capitalise... i just hope we do our thing dont drop our shoulders and keep fighting i think this is one of those game where we gonna win ugly...

personally i wish suarez scores...

Superior Complex

Suarez surely has to hit top form, he's had his goal draught, and the players didn't play brilliant against Swansea. Hopefully the team as a whole will pick it up.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
This is all about believe we have won once here in 5, yet Suarez has never been more than 6 games without a goal (Though knowing our defence both could happen).

I'm not sure how I will watch this, I still dislike 5:30 kick offs I noticed the West Ham goals one was a through ball that caught the defensive napping and the other two were poor defending on crossing.

theres always tommorrow

Hope is in my heart again
We are due a barnstorming performance. Generally speaking we play well after a lacklustre performance. I sure that many would argue that 4 goals is hardly a poor performance but letting in 3....really? Our midfield and back four were all over the place.
Against Arsenal the team linked up well, passed accurately and generally bossed both games. In fact we were brilliant. If we can get going from the start then we should win this easily.
Oh and we need 3 points.....none of this nonsense about 1 point being important. Let's just go and win this league. We can

lfc.8

Another vital win for me. While they have some good players, there's absolutely no reason to fear them. We should be going there with confidence, looking at nothing less than three points.

The worry is, if we were to drop points, and then lose to Man United, we would then, potentially only have a five or six point gap with nine games to play. Which is little in the grand scheme of things, also with Spurs, Chelsea and City to play. At this stage I'd be content with four points across both games. Top four is ours to lose, but still far from secure with eleven games to play.

SupaLFC

We are not losing to this lot nor Man U. We have not really had two poor performances in a row even the back to back losses to City and Chelsea were good performances. Lets hope we can get out of here with a win. This game should suit us. Swansea was keen on possession, this lot will try to press and we are playing perfect attack for this. Suarez will win a penalty in this one i think. I don't think we should even think about United. They have major problems and they have the dilemma of playing Olympiacos 3 days after they play us. We need to get points from this game. We lost there last season

spizfromoz

lfc.eddie said:
Time for 4-4-2?

Gerrard hang back behind Allen, Coutinho and Henderson, with Coutinho plays more centrally? Supporting Suarez and Sturridge plays as 2 centre forwards. Back four, if Agger is not injured, play him. Cissokho in with Johnson on the right. Be more technical, it's more like 4-1-3-2. If that don't work after first half, inject some pace in with Sterling. Those 3 I mentioned should press and run their midfielders ragged.
I like it. It looks like a solid diamond midfield that gives Johnson room to attack while (hopefully) compacting our midfield, stopping the flow of goals that come from those who insist on galloping through our midfield. I've also wanted to seen Sterling comes on later in a game and blow a team away.

Bobbinho

Im surprised to read a few posters saying they'd be happy with a draw or at least okay with it, for me this is a game where we have to set the record straight, take all 3 points & move on, i'll be disappointed with anything less than a win, i think we've got some healthy winning momentum now which will definitely help, Southampton will be very wary of playing us & rightly so, a hell of a lot at stake now each game is massively important...a possible title winning one, that is some serious incentive at this stage, should be enough incentive to get our players highly motivated in itself, confidence for players like Hendo after his brace & Sterling Sturridge etc will be high, have little doubt that we will score but as usual will be hoping to fuck for no more nonsense from our backline....

Allen i think has to play, think he looks very sharp & more than capable of playing a hand in a game like this, we need a stronger midfield for this & i feel that Allen will give it his all as he looks keen to fight for a place in the side, bench Glen & bring Cissokho back, keep Flanno where he is, CB's are my biggest concern, Toure, after his recent shakiness would be a risk but then again so could either Agger or Skrtel be, just hope whoever BR plays they will keep it simple, stay switched on, watch the fecking ball not the player & remain aware of their position re any attacks be it set piece or other... *sigh*.....

Anyway, chins up, get a win here, hopefully a good one....& keep up the pressure for the title. :)

Is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.