• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Southampton vs Liverpool | PL Matchday 2 | Saturday August 17th | 15:00h | St. Mary’s Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuisSuarez

TIA Reserve Team
I got a feeling Klopp will go with the following below based on minutes played by the team last night. The combo of Milner/Gini in the midfield (ugh) and OX playing out side again (ugh). Hopefully Shaq gets the start over Milner and Origi over OX.

Adrian
TAA Matip VvD Robertson
Milner Fabinho Wijnaldum
OX Firmino Mané

Incognito

The Normal One
Very difficult to predict the line up for this, as lot would depend on players' conditions after that tiring display. Hopefully all those who played 120+ could get a break here.

I would hope for something like below.

...................... Adrian.................
Trent...... Matip....... VVD......... Milly
....................... Lallana....................
............ Ox...................... Gini..........
Shaqs.............. Bobby.............. Origi

Except the CB pairing the others should be relatively fresh. Fab had cramps, Mane Salah would need some rest, Gomez played the entire 120.
Shaq should definitely start as he wasn't involved, Ox needs some games in mid to get back to groove and Origi was also not involved much. Lallana hopefully can provide enough cover for the 6 role he was training in pre season.

Any sort of 3 points, with no injuries and the win yesterday would look sweeter.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
What was wrong with Robertson yesterday? Perhaps the heat and very high humidity played a role. The weather in Southampton on Saturday is much better for a Scottish lad, 19 degrees and clouds.

Anyway, I'm not expecting an easy or exciting match, 0-2.

igor_piss_can

Start your best team available. We saw towards the end of last season that this fixture is far from a walk in the park so I'd be very wary about resting anyone or toying with formations. Hopefully if we're comfortable around the half time / 60 minutes mark we can then look at taking people off. We've only got one game a week until the Champions League proper kicks off in a month, so we'll have plenty of recovery time over the coming few weeks

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Must win match for damn sure! Anyone saying otherwise just have to look at last season. Win every match at all cost, if possible, and that's the only way to win the league. I don't care how we do it, pay the ref to score for us, worldie or tap ins, own goal, don't care, just win the damn thing. Boys are tired, but that's fucking Premier League and wanting to be the top tier team, this things happen.

liverpool8

This fixture always reminds me of Bill Shankly's 1970 comment about 'alehouse football', referring to rough play by Southampton.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Will be tough but we should have enough for the 3 points. I'm going for a 0-2 win for our Redmen.

Would leave Hendo out as he looked absolutely shattered.

..........................Adrian.............
Trent........Gomez.....Van Dijk...... Robertson
.........................Fabinho......................
..........Wijnaldum.........Milner
Salah................Firmino..............Mane

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Will change our squad a bit
.............Adrian.........
TAA...VVD...Gomez...Robbo
......Ox...Hendo...Lallana...
Mane.....Firmino...Salah..

Rest any player who hasn't recovered from the Chelsea game.

Really hope ox and lallana up their game, klopp has put a lot of faith on them and hope they repay it.
Our squad needs to be rotated wisely.

Score prediction: 0-1 , Firmino scoring an early goal and then we see the game out.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Gomez, Fabinho, Mane and/or Salah must be rested for this after yesterday, we're taking big risks with their fitness. Probably Henderson as well. This is a massive banana skin for us, I'd settle for a boring 1-0.

Adrian; TAA, Matip, VvD, Robertson; Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum; Oxlade/Shaqiri, Firmino, Origi

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
3-1 to Southampton.
Our defence looks awful right now. And already we look leggy. Southampton will be up for it.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
How about a 4-4-2 Diamond

Adrian
TAA Lovren VvD Larouci
Lallana
Ox Wijnaldum
Shaqiri
Origi Firmino

Freshest possible legs.

Red over the water

It's a full week to the Arsenal game after this. I would play the strongest team we can put out there against Southampton.

Adrian
Trent Gomez VVD Robbo
Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane

Three points essential, however they come. Even if we can only play 60 minutes at a decent tempo with the above team, fine, do that and build a lead, and then rest a couple.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
This all seems very familiar. I'm sure people were calling for massive rotation every game in August last year too.

Personally I think it's uncalled for unless the physio team say otherwise.

Even if we rest some players who might need it, we should have enough to grab 3 points here.

JMac8

3-1 to Southampton.
Our defence looks awful right now. And already we look leggy. Southampton will be up for it.
Are you trolling?

We haven’t lost a game since last January (I think). We’ve played twice this year winning 4-1 then winning the Supercup. They got humped by Burnley. Klopp is our manager so in the vast majority of games we’re more ‘up for it’ than the opposition’

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Are you trolling?

We haven’t lost a game since last January (I think). We’ve played twice this year winning 4-1 then winning the Supercup. They got humped by Burnley. Klopp is our manager so in the vast majority of games we’re more ‘up for it’ than the opposition’
We got beat 3-0 in May.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Tough game this, big rotation required after 120 mins mid week

Hoever, Lovren, VVD, TAA
Milner, OX, Gini
Shaq, Bobby, Origi

Salah and Mane on the bench to give us 15-20 mins if we are chasing the game late on. Matip for Virg if we are comfortable late on.

mikodelniko13

Am hoping shaqiri will start .
Ox back to the midfield and Henderson covering fabinho
Up front origi mane firmino
Defence no real options here vvd , Gomez, TAA, robo .

Status
Not open for further replies.