• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Southampton vs Liverpool | PL Matchday 2 | Saturday August 17th | 15:00h | St. Mary’s Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redsi73

At a family do today so only managed to follow the game by text.

Triple heart attack still.

Why can't we just win 5-0 every game?

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Our boys had less than 60 hours to mentally and physically recover from that long and punishing super cup match in Istanbul. We need to cut the boys some slack. Adrian had his ankles badly bruised, he is human. I didn't think he would play today.
I was thinking we would get a draw out of this tough game. Gratitude to the boys.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Adrian made a couple of good saves, he's a better keeper than Mignolet (IMO) but he takes way too much time when the ball is at his feet.........he needs to move it quicker as a starting point. That and getting rid of it when he's unsure would be a real help.

Notasuperfan

Seems that Adrian needs to be hollered at by Klopp to think faster. Wtf was he thinking given that we are in cruise control and he had plenty of time to pass the ball to TAA or hump the damn ball up. At least Karius had the excuse of chasing the game.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Considering the effort that was shown in mid week I suppose that was a decent performance. A week to recover and prepare fpr Arsenal now and I think we will need it . Their new signings have made them look a tougher proposition this season.

StevenAlonso

Glad we got through. Ox was good. Mane finish was great. Not good for your heart watching last 10 minutes.. Adrian needs a mouthful from Klopp..

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Adrian made a couple of good saves, he's a better keeper than Mignolet (IMO) but he takes way too much time when the ball is at his feet.........he needs to move it quicker as a starting point. That and getting rid of it when he's unsure would be a real help.
This is true, but we should remember even Alisson had some problems in this regard when he first joined, and cost us a goal in an analogous situation. I think Jurgen will sort it with one of his 'talks'. Adrian's mistake changed the whole psychology of the game and lumped pressure on us.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Adrian's mistake could happen to anyone. The only slightly annoying piece to that was he had Virg wide open to his left, Trent wide open to his right. Zero reason to go straight up the middle with that. Egregiously bad lapse of judgement.

EDIT: but again, could happen to anyone. And he really hasn't had a proper pre-season.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
What does Denzel mean here.
King Kong ain't got nothing on him.....

Adrian's mistake could happen to anyone.
Absolutely right, could happen to anyone. The issue is that it had happened to him in the first half and he used his get out of jail card already. He should have not ride that luck again. But second keeper, can't expect too much...not expecting him to be an upgrade to Mignolet and rightly so.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Had to miss this and glad I did. Had to give my heart a rest .. checked my phone at 2-0 but knew it couldn't possibly be that easy. This is Liverpool after all.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Just wondering. Did the team fly down to Southampton?

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I keep saying but at this stage it’s all about the result.
I actually fancied Southampton to get something from the game after our super cup efforts, and actually they played quite well, certainly first half.
Silly goal to concede for us when we were in control but the most important thing is we left with 3 points. And we did. So all is good. Everything else we can work on.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I could kind of guess the reaction of some...won its 3 points another 36 more and we can't be beaten.

Would have liked a clean sheet but considering the prep we had this week I would take any win today so 2-1 fine by me, week now to properly prepare.

Ironically sounds better than the performance in the run in.

Commando

Ad-free Member
I’m sat in the Asda over from the Emptihad. I chauffeured Mrs CDO and three others here r for the Citoil game. I told them not to let me know our score if they knew it. They kept it to themselves but I could tell from the other Citoil fans around us that we were winning. Then there was excitement (Ings’ goal). Then a big slump in the excitement which I assume was at the final whistle.
It’s been funny being glared at by both Citoil and Spuds fans as I sat here in my home shirt.
I take it from the comments that Adrian messed up for Ings’ goal. However we feel about it, I’m sure that he’ll feel it more keenly. If he’s typical of other keepers that I’ve met and played with over the years he’ll hate not getting the clean sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.