Stefan De Vrij (CB) Lazio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria

been happening for far longer than the current and previous owners .. get to a point where it is expected . i think on this occasion we tried to steal a march on the rest and get the deal over the line before anyone else could gazump us . unfortunately it didn't work out . we'll just have to see what happens .. but that golden sky will appear one day .. 15 years or thereabouts of hate filled mancs i had to put up with before 2005.. and it was worth the whole damn 15 years.
I have been waiting 27 years for us to win the EPL.

K

Klopptinho

I have been waiting 27 years for us to win the EPL.
me also . lived in manchester until 2011 . all those false dawns , so much hate and gloating . it will happen but i get less confident with each passing season. don't tell anyone that though as i am one of the few on this forum that doesn't lose their head when we lose and doesn't get over excited when we win.. and tries to rally the troops when we are down .. i know there are so many heartbreaking moments to being a liverpool supporter.. but we are all privileged to get to support them . it pales into insignificance the hurt we go through compared with the loss and hurt some have suffered supporting this great club .

Keeno

TIA New Signing
Not exactly. The de Vrij bid went in yesterday and the fuck up with van Dijk happened today. More likely the de Vrij bid was an attempt to get Southampton to come to the table for a reasonable price (i.e. closer to 50m than 70m) now that we were the only interested party what with City and Chelsea dropping out. That's why we lowballed so much. Lazio is asking £30m and we put in for £17m; that's just us trying to look like we'll move on if we have to because saints keep upping the price. No real risk of it getting accepted that low.
No the fuck up happened whenever we did the fuck up. Today we held our hands up.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Not exactly. The de Vrij bid went in yesterday and the fuck up with van Dijk happened today. More likely the de Vrij bid was an attempt to get Southampton to come to the table for a reasonable price (i.e. closer to 50m than 70m) now that we were the only interested party what with City and Chelsea dropping out. That's why we lowballed so much. Lazio is asking £30m and we put in for £17m; that's just us trying to look like we'll move on if we have to because saints keep upping the price. No real risk of it getting accepted that low.

My comment was aimed more at the press report.......your conclusion above is an example of what comes from it........

Click bait or whatever - retweet the above a few times and it becomes 'fact' - we as fans are our own worst enemy.

Do you really think a low ball offer on another player will 'scare' southampton into negotiating........unlikely.

redfanman

TIA Regular
My comment was aimed more at the press report.......your conclusion above is an example of what comes from it........

Click bait or whatever - retweet the above a few times and it becomes 'fact' - we as fans are our own worst enemy.

Do you really think a low ball offer on another player will 'scare' southampton into negotiating........unlikely.
Is it possible the bid was to set a price for Sakho?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Not sure if we should go for someone like this fella. If he's any good, there would have been a lot of offers on the table by now, no?

MarcusBerglund

As I said, de Vrij is decent defender, but at 25 he doesn't look like the player who will improve the center of our defence. Compromising signing and we will definitely overpay, if there is a deal. Lotito does not sell his players on the cheap. Last summer he sold Candreva for around 20 mln. and he is 30 years old.
De Vrij is injury prone and at least he, Lovren and Matip could rotate not only on the field, but also on the injury table.
For the last 3 seasons he has played 59 matches for Lazio, the maths shows that he plays less then 20 games per season.
Is our ambition is to sign de Vrij, Gelson and that type of players?
The proclaimed CL had to help the club bring better players who will improve the starting 11. In my opinion de Vrij and Gelson are typical Europe League signings from poor leagues and the worst is that they sell for premium and most of the time we are not pleased with these type of transfers.
Italy - Dossena, Aquilani, Padelli, Balotelli etc. Only young Cou was the right transfer.
Portugal - Markovic, Ilori.

pottymonster

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.
Know nothing about him, but I remember last summer when we were all amped up for Gotze and then we signed Mané who turned out to be the bees knees. So maybe, just maybe, the club are pretty good at scouting players now.

Gazmaninaus

Thought I would post this link. isn't this what we did with VVD.
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/889055344?-19388:814:3.
Ps, it's actually 30 million euro they want, not pounds, we offered 17 million pounds. Not sure how far off, we are between figures. I did see a list of CB's in Europe, but the Danish lad playing for in Holland looks good.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
What about Chelsea's Danish lad (Christiansen?) who was on loan in Germany and who's demanding first team football at CFC. If Chelsea move in for VvD then he'd be surplus to requirements.

kotsebotse

TIA New Signing
I have and the answer is no.
Agree, I almost haven't seen him the last season, but unless he's made significant progress this season, he's worse than Lovren, around Klavan level imo - decent, unspectacular, a bit slow and clumsy. If he's our alternative to VVD, I despair.

What about Chelsea's Danish lad (Christiansen?) who was on loan in Germany and who's demanding first team football at CFC. If Chelsea move in for VvD then he'd be surplus to requirements.
Christensen, I believe. Looks like a potentially good player, but if we buy him I don't think we're buying someone better than what we've got. We would strengthen the squad, but (for me) not the starting eleven. I know it's a squad game, but most teams still have a go-to XI they play in big games.

Same with Jonathan Tah, another young player who has been mentioned a few times here and there.

Limiescouse

Aye, I agree with much of the last few posts. Despite his criticism, Lovren is a good player and it's going to take a really good player to give us someone better than him. De Vrij isnt that guy, and Christensen isn't that guy yet. VVD is.

NYRhockey

Aye, I agree with much of the last few posts. Despite his criticism, Lovren is a good player and it's going to take a really good player to give us someone better than him. De Vrij isnt that guy, and Christensen isn't that guy yet. VVD is.
I agree. De Vrij would basically be giving us depth rather than an upgrade on Lovren, who's not bad himself anyways and had good success with Matip.

Still, if we're not to get VVD but were willing to spend 50M on him, why not go after Koulibaly. The reports i had seen were that last year his team was seeking around that number so it may be doable. Then again, that was last year so maybe it's 80M this year.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
The initial bid was well below what Lazio want and placed when negotiating for Van Dijk. It was more of a ploy for Southampton rather than a genuine attempt to sign him. At least, that how it looks to me.

Besides there's quite a drop in quality between Van Dijk and De Vrij. I'd expect the club to go for the likes of Koulibaly and Gimenez who were touted as potential alternatives to Van Dijk before settling for someone like De Vrij.

If that's not the case, then it looks like we're headed for a repeat of the 14/15 summer window....

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
I would say that De Vrij is most certainly better than Lovren. Problem though is that he's an unknown quantity injury-wise, and has been playing in a league that's not exactly known for it's physical nature. No clue if he'd be able to adapt properly (or if so, how long that'd take), or if he's one clatter away from being finished for another season.

But in fairness to him, he's younger than VVD, about the same height, and has three times the caps for Holland. Wouldn't be as ideal for us, but hardly a binnable player.

T.C.B

I would say that De Vrij is most certainly better than Lovren. Problem though is that he's an unknown quantity injury-wise, and has been playing in a league that's not exactly known for it's physical nature. No clue if he'd be able to adapt properly (or if so, how long that'd take), or if he's one clatter away from being finished for another season.

But in fairness to him, he's younger than VVD, about the same height, and has three times the caps for Holland. Wouldn't be as ideal for us, but hardly a binnable player.
Any idea why VVD has so few international caps?

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
I don't wish to seem knee-jerk or defeatist, but I think rather aptly sums up what what my mood will be if we sign this player after screwing up on van Dijk...

With all the grand failure of our transfer window thus far and the prospect of losing out on all our top targets, I'm considering making this my new avatar. It's basically how I'm feeling on a daily basis at the moment.

Dutch

If Klopp wants a Dutch defender and VvD isn't coming he better look at de Vrij's partner in crime in Lazio"s defense an Dutch international too, Wesley Hoedt, 1.88 meter 23 years old left footed.

Status
Not open for further replies.