Stefan De Vrij (CB) Lazio

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by ILLOK, Jun 7, 2017.

1. MarlboroMan

MarlboroMan Vertrauen Sie mir

Can't agree that he's better than Lovren besides he's most comfortable playing at RCB not LCB like VVD. If De Vrij is better than its not by much so not worth spending 25-30m on. Where would we play De Vrij? Is he or Matip just as good on the left side of the central defense? Can Stefan stay healthy for a full season? Can he handle the pace and aggression of the PL? Too many questions in a situation we can't make a mistake with.

We could end up seeing De Vrij on the bench if both Matip and Lovren are fit if only Lovren can play LCB. For me the next one the list should be Koulibaly of Napoli. Jose Gimenez is 3rd but after that we're looking at young guys that aren't ready to beat Lovren to a starting 11 place just yet.

2. 1dragon

1dragon TIA Regular

There are not many defenders in the market who are better, attribute wise, than Lovren. However, what we need is a defender who is mentally better able to handle the pressure playing for our club. I think most can accept a slightly inferior version of Lovren, but less the brain fart moments. How can the club measure this is anyone's guess though. Maybe De Vrij is the one, or Christensen, or Tah. This is where the scouting team can earn their money.

3. MikeOscar

MikeOscar Klopp Klopp

Big difference between Tah and de Vrij is that Tah has a lot of potential to improve, while I'd say de Vrij is pretty much as good as he'll ever be now, no doubt hurt by his injuries.

As for de Vrij, I never rated him when he played at Feyenoord. He played very well in a five man defence during the last world cup, but so did Bruno Martins Indi and he's now at Stoke and failed at Porto... As for mental strength, he was part of the backline which conceded ten (!) goals against PSV, which wasn't exactly a testimony to mental strength and pride during adversity.

redfanman and Limiescouse like this.
  4. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Lovren gets a harsh appraisal from many of our fans. He's a good to top class defender with all the tools you'd want. He does make errors and overrate his own ability sometimes which is why he'll probably never reach world class standard. But he plays a system that puts a hell of a lot of pressure on the centre backs to never put a foot wrong. Even someone like Maldini would make the odd mistake here and there under those playing conditions and I think we can all agree it'd be harsh expecting Lovren to be at that level to be happy with him. Truth is, when he's had a decent partner in Matip or Sakho our record for goals conceded really hasn't been bad at all. What Lovren really misses is that ability to lead an inferior centre back partner through a game (think Sami and Henchoz) but as long as his partner is of decent enough standard he does fine enough. Makes mistake but over the course of a season at an acceptable level.

Livvy, Drubas, Alright Now and 2 others like this.
  5. Prolix

Prolix Long Time Nemesis™

It's June 10th.

Our last competitive game was three weeks ago.

jabu and redfanman like this.
  6. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

When does pre season start ?

The last competitive fixture is relevant to nothing...even Klopp said he'd sorted his targets before then, so.....

7. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan Trust in Klopp

So did I dream all the Van Dijk stuff then? Weird.

Livvy likes this.
  8. Prolix

Prolix Long Time Nemesis™

Enjoy your summers.

redfanman likes this.
  9. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Grume

10. James H

James H "One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"

I think de Vrij is in the unfortunate position to following the excitement of VVD. Any CB transfer post VVD was going to be a come down. But de Vrij is a good defender and would not be a bad acquisition, the lesser price tag could also free up funds for another deal.

Livvy, Scott Jones and Klopptinho like this.
  11. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

it might free up funds for VVD:celebrating::celebrating::celebrating::well done::well done::well done::well done::?:

James H likes this.
  12. James H

lol not quite what I meant :tongue::well done:

Klopptinho likes this.
  13. Klopptinho

don't back track!!! getting people's hopes up - don't be dashing them.. it's not the Liverpool way!lol

James H likes this.
  14. James H

OK here goes, the de Vrij deal is cheap and signals a definite desire for a more expensive CB, perhaps in the shape of a long haired Dutchman whose last name rhymes with man like! :well done:

Livvy, Scott Jones and Klopptinho like this.
  15. Klopptinho

:shocked::shocked::shocked: he's coming.. he's fucking coming !!! ruud gullit is coming!!! :shocked::shocked::shocked: fuck you're going to have to be clearer.. that doesn't rhyme:?::?::?::?::?::?:

James H likes this.
  16. James H

W
    Wittiest rhyme I could think of :((

Klopptinho likes this.
  17. Klopptinho

it was too cryptic for me . got it now . on the subject of de vrij de fridge or du vijr or whatever .. is he any good ? i mean compared to say.. sami ? or is he more of a skrtel ? (bit shite at times but very good at giving hugs?)

James H likes this.
  18. James H

He is good but he is no sami! A few years ago he was in demand then spent a season injured, I don't know if he is a garaunteed upgrade on lovren, or if his potential ceiling was lowered due to the injury but he has plenty of dutch caps and seems steady enough.

Scott Jones and Klopptinho like this.
  19. Klopptinho

steady would be good to be fair .. consistent and not consistently bad is preferred .

20. Klopptinho

not many thought sami was going to be as good as sami to be fair .. would be nice to get a couple of centre backs that work together .. bit like henchoz and sami did for a little while .. defend first.. fanny about second .

21. jabu

jabu TIA New Signing

true... but its still a bit early to call our transfer window a "grand failing", when the window just opened 48 hrs ago...i understand we live in an instant gratification society, but i think we can at least give it a few weeks before we call it a "grand failure"...

James H likes this.
  22. James H

Those types of defenders are rare now, ball playing CB are in vogue at the minute. The amount spent on john stones being a prime example he is good on the ball but defensively he is ridiculously suspect for a 50m CB.

Klopptinho likes this.
  23. Klopptinho

the problem i have with this supposed transfer and the salah one is the lack of players that have transferred good form from the italian league over to the premier league ... i can only think of players like roberto di matteo , zola , ravenelli and vialli .. and 2 of those weren't exactly huge success in italy .. and they were a long long time ago . pogba had great form for juve.. cost 90 squillion or something and looked average most of the season... it is a completely different style of football in serie A.. i worried we are wasting our money if we sign these players. Although a centre back schooled in the italian ways might make the transition easier than a midfielder or striker ?

Gazmaninaus likes this.
  24. Klopptinho

i remember matthaus and sammer playing in defence purely because of their ability on the ball and it is with the influx of foreign coaches it's been adapted to the premier league - we've had players who could play that way before but it wasn't the reason they were signed . when you look at chelsea they have defenders who defend first with the exception of luiz - play to your strengths and success comes from it . i remember rodgers first game when he asked the defenders to play out from the back.. didn't we lose 3-1 or something and had one of our cbs sent off ? the philosophy of the boot room always seemed to be (from what i have learned over the years) win first worry about performance second . we need the lads at the back to be able to organise and be vocal.. we don't have that at the moment.

25. redbj

'Thus far'.

There really is a weird phenom around these parts to argue a non existing point.

Zinedine Biscan, prest and Klopptinho like this.
  26. jabu

jabu TIA New Signing

i think there is a weird phenom around these parts of getting overly excited when the market has barely opened...Yes a huge mistake, big cock-up has been made, but i would not label it a "grand failure" after the messing up of one player.

Klopptinho likes this.
  27. redbj

Well, what would you label agreeing terms with our first choice target and potential record transfer only to announce it to all and sundry before agree with the club that actually....yknow.....owns him.

Just look solely at that occurrence and tell us what you label it thus far?

Of course the summers not done, we are not Luddites blindly coming to terms with the concept of time itself, we are just forum members discussing the situation in real time.

Zinedine Biscan and Clive like this.
  28. Klopptinho

i'm wondering if it is a 'phenom' or 'phenomenon' :?:

James H and redbj like this.
  29. jabu

jabu TIA New Signing

Like i said, big mistake, hugh cock-up. suarez had an agreement with arsenal before they they came with their +1 price. Who really knows if saints were going to sell him this window? they hold all the power with the five year deal, weather player puts in a transfer request or not...

30. jabu

jabu TIA New Signing

A big mistake has been made to kick-off this window, but i would not label it a failure so far as its only been 48 hrs