• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Steven Gerrard must quit international football

News Bot

I'm not a real person, I just add news!
Sunday’s stalemate at Swansea saw another indifferent performance from Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard. It’s fair to say that Gerrard has struggled so far this season under new boss Brendan Rodgers. Whether this is down to struggling to adapt to Rodgers “system”, struggling to cope with changing his game as he enters the twilight years of [...]

View the full article

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Its strange how his performance levels have done an about face. Before Engurland fans gave off that he saved his performances for us and now it seems his best performances are in a white shirt instead. POssibly recognises that the likelihood of imminent significant trophies with us are a pipe dream and wishes to be remembered at least as a competent and committed national captain?

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Pointless discussion.
Gerrard won't retire, especially now he's captain.
He'll carry on at least until they get knocked out of the next World Cup.

Even after that, he'll be on the trail of Shiltons 'most capped' record and will try to surpass it..

For those reasons, it's not even a topic for discussio.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
I think I heard him say that he had thought about but Roy offered him the arm band and also was asked to help with the transion of the old gaurd to the new players coming through, I can go along with this to a point but there does come a time when you must make the choice between playing longer for your club. Also you also have to factor into this as well Gerrard could be come the most capped out-field player if he stays fit and is picked for all the games upto the next finals.

callanlfc

I'm not arsed about him still playing for England, it's the fact that he works his bollocks off whilst playing for England and generally plays very well for them recently whilst playing for us it seems like he can't be arsed. Wish he had the same attitude when playing for us that he does when playing for England. Why can he track players, close down players and play good passes for England when in a TWO man midfield but when it comes to playing in a THREE man midfield for us he either can't be arsed to track and close players down or he doesn't have the legs to. It doesn't make any sense.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Dont know why this dead horse continues to be flogged if I am honest

he wants one last big tournament that he will feel he has a distant punchers chance in as captain. As opposed to winding down his career in relative obscurity it seems in a pursuit of europa or even top half football the way things seem to be going

not what we want to hear but thats basically it, he cant be forced to see it otherwise and no one would dare tell him so anyway. End of chat

At least being England captain keeps his status as a well respected English footballing legend going a few more years beyond merseyside too, even if he is past his very peak. hes not a natural leader but hes a sensitive captain for a transitional England team which is likely to still qualify for big tournaments anyway

bottom line is that its his decision to make, its none of our business

lancashirelad

Dont know why this dead horse continues to be flogged if I am honest

he wants one last big tournament that he will feel he has a distant punchers chance in as captain. As opposed to winding down his career in relative obscurity it seems in a pursuit of europa or even top half football the way things seem to be going

not what we want to hear but thats basically it, he cant be forced to see it otherwise and no one would dare tell him so anyway. End of chat

At least being England captain keeps his status as a well respected English footballing legend going a few more years beyond merseyside too, even if he is past his very peak. hes not a natural leader but hes a sensitive captain for a transitional England team which is likely to still qualify for big tournaments anyway

bottom line is that its his decision to make, its none of our business
I couldn't agree more, well said
Its often said... Gerrard is "great for Liverpool, and good for England". Although these days the former is not as true as it used to be, and the latter is open to debate..

​Steve will know when the time comes... Lets leave it to him!

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I love Gerrard as a player. Best we've had in the modern age of football and thats probably something all fans would agree on. Was at his best in Rafas time, Istambul and the following years cup finals as examples.....add in the 1-4 game at sold trafford and the game vs Madrid at Anfield as two more for good measure. I shudder to think where we would been without him over the years.
Sadly the years are catching up with him, injuries havent helped either. We are watching the slow decline of possibly our greatest ever player.
Its a no brainer that he should quit International football, he wont do it though and we all know it. Funnily when Lucas is fit he may not make our best 11 but will still turn out at Wembley. Madness. It is a big test of Brendans management skills as to how he handles this situation. He surely must bench him for Euro games and maybe for some games in the PL.
Regardless of how it pans out, and its the same for Jamies career, we should never resort to slagging him off because he is on the wain. His performance on Sunday was way below par and Im sure he knows it but he never should have played midweek.
I feel he still has a lot to offer but the days of Captain Fantastic performances are running out.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Would be a wise decision. He has to prolong his liverpool career and for that england has to be the sacrificial goat.
Frankly, he aint gonna win the world cup nor the euros. What the point in playing. its not that he is getting younger by the day.
Just let it go steve, Liverpool FC needs you more than england does.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Kinda selfish really to expect him to give up internationals if he wants to play on.

Think he should avoid the friendlies though.

As for his form - perhaps Rodgers should use him a little more sparingly.

supereddman98

The only time he doesn't play for us is when he's injured, a few rest here and there could help him significantly.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I've said this a few times and usually get slagged off, but I don't care.

Were I the manager of Liverpool and Steven Gerrard kept playing pointless England games I would remove the captaincy from him.

The captain of Liverpool FC should be 100% committed to the job, and at 32 and his body clearly not able to withstand the amount of football it used to, Gerrard can't have both. He has been well below his best this season, and his reluctance to miss an England game - even the bloody friendlies - has to come into that.

If he wants to continue playing international football into his mid thirties, then that's his decision - but this club must put sentiment to one side and choose a leader who will be fit and at his best whenever Liverpool need him.

Paul Scholes retired from England at 29 and has been able to continue playing pushing 40. While Giggs has never retired Wales don't make the tournaments anyway.

Up to Stevie.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Serious question for those of you that are local supporters (and/or attend games):

At what point do you think Rodgers can force Gerrard to do anything without the supporters protesting? Including either "suggesting" he pass the armband along to Agger or Reina, or "suggesting" he takes a seat on the bench after an international week.

This is assuming that BR thinks he can win, despite Stevie either not on the pitch or not the captain. My guess would be that he can pull this off for away matches, but not at Anfield. I am just picturing the supporters singing a lot of songs about CAPTAIN Fantastic or, if on bench, Gerrard in general.

Personally I think as long as Gerrard is on the pitch, he will be the captain. Only way to have a diff captain out there is if Gerrard's on the bench "with a knock" i.e. fake knock. Unless he has absolute shockers for 3 matches in a row...in which case the supporters will probably support the idea of benching him

duuuaaaane

Let's be honest, if he wasn't 'Steven Gerrard', he'd be dropped.

It has nothing to do with International Football, he's just not the man that he once was.

7/8 years ago he was the best player in the world and we still expect that off him - even more so now that we need it. It's why we play him week in week out when in reality his performances don't warrant a guaranteed starting place.

It's not a criticism, more an observation.

We expect too much from him. It's unfair.

InFrontOfTheKop

He's a shadow of his former self, both for England and this football club. It isn't a knock on him, really. The reality, however, is that injuries and age are hampering his abilities at the moment, and I don't see it getting much better any time soon. Woy will continue to throw Gerrard into his squad any time he's available, and I don't really see Stevie quitting England in the forseeable future.

As for his play with LFC, I think a break on the bench would do Gerrard some good tbh.. He needs to realize that there are fully capable midfielders behind him that could do just as well as he is right now. I'd personally love to see a three man midfield of Allen-Lucas-Shelvey at some point.. Not sure if Rodgers has the balls to drop him though, especially considering the way he's been gushing all over him in the press. Time will tell. He's Steven Gerrard. Admittedly not an easy name to leave out of the squad.

RaoulDuke

Hardly-Known Member
Maybe BR should put him on the bench from now on, so he can rest properly for the next England game...
Seriously? Give him a break. He is no traitor (or something like that) just because he wants to be captain of his national team.To me he still is and always will be captain fantastic.

P.S.: maybe I misunderstood you. My reply was written because I thought your post was cynical and you'd like BR to punish SG for not retiring from international football.
forget what I wrote If you meant that stevie should be dropped because of his form. :)

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Seriously? Give him a break. He is no traitor (or something like that) just because he wants to be captain of his national team.To me he still is and always will be captain fantastic.

P.S.: maybe I misunderstood you. My reply was written because I thought your post was cynical and you'd like BR to punish SG for not retiring from international football.
forget what I wrote If you meant that stevie should be dropped because of his form. :)
It was a bit from both really. Of course I was a bit cynical, but given his recent dismal club form, which imo is no stranger to the fact that he plays his heart out in every England game, although it's surely not the only reason, he should indeed be benched here and there, instead of playing him in every second of every match like BR has done recently.

Tosh

TIA Regular
I agree with the sentiment that he isn't the player he was.

It's a cumlimation of several factors, by the Ingerland factor is one of the main ones.

He needs to be honest with himself.
Ingerland, will win fuck all in the forseeable future, and he needs to accept that.
I can understand his loyalty, but his first loyalty is to LFC, and not that bunch of suits at the F.A.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Forcing him to quit would not be a good look, other players would definitely take notice. And it would most likely have some choice other clubs over us. Most players take huge pride in representing their country, especially outside england. Many players move club for the single reason to get a look in at their national side.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
as much as i hate to say this but i think stevie should be looking towards retirement full stop, this season he has been a shadow of the player we have adored over the years and is looking more and more a liability. perhaps at the end os this season we should look at phasing him out ala carra and groom shelvey to be his successor.

D.hughes

TIA Youth Team
Shelvey as his successor? You having a laugh? Shelvey's awful, not good enough to fill gerrards boots in any shape or form! We need a new gerrard! Hard to find I know but shelvey aint the answer. Agree with you though, gerrard has no place in the team anymore. What scares me is he's only 32, look at scholes??

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
He is not to fit to fit "a Gerrard in his prime" boots, but Gerrard hasn't been like that at all this season, that was his first goal this season, that's quite embarrassing really.

He was still looked like he had it last season, this season he looks finished it's sad but we shouldn't consider him an automatic starter anymore.I find it sad because really we expect more, is he a club legend of course, but all careers come to an end. I thought this would be his last big season sadly that looks like it has passed.

OhYaBeauty

Wembley unfortunately brings up a good point that I think many of us are still in denial about. We prefer to believe he's just playing out of position, or that he's just having poor form when the reality is he's just not the same player he once was. I know we've all been optimistic that he'll play attacking midfielder again, and his career will continue for 2 or 3 more years, but I just don't see it anymore. He's got his leadership qualities still, and his range of passing, but he's not got the goalscoring ability he once had, or the pace, or the close control, or the long shots, or the sheer arrogant brilliance.

He may be able to play as a center mid in an English-style team (like the England national team) but we're not that team and he's not cutting it for us in midfield. Sad truth, but the legendary Steven Gerrard who Zidane once said was the greatest player in the world is no more.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
Shelvey as his successor? You having a laugh? Shelvey's awful, not good enough to fill gerrards boots in any shape or form! We need a new gerrard! Hard to find I know but shelvey aint the answer. Agree with you though, gerrard has no place in the team anymore. What scares me is he's only 32, look at scholes??
behave yourself, shelvey has the ability to become a fixture in the team, remember he's only 20 and has the time to improve his game. i have seen lots of players over the years and take it from me shelvey has the X factor.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Sadly Stevie has lost a vital yard of pace.His performances for England prove that in that "holding" role he is still a force to be reckoned with but he is not getting the chance to play that role for us.Maybe he could still play the more advanced role well with different players around him.Personally I do not think he and Joe Allen work well together.
I certainly would not write him off yet, Carra was awful last season but is doing better this time around so maybe Stevie will find another good season in himself after his International career is over.
Agree that Jonjo has a lot to offer the team and hope he will be around for a long time.

D.hughes

TIA Youth Team
@wembley65 shelvey - even if he's 20 or 25, in my opinion aint good enough to fill gerrards boots and he certainly doesn't have the "x factor" would he get into any other top 6-8 teams in the prem? No he wouldn't. He's not lfc quality to start week in/week out in the prem at all. As for gerrards successor-please, don't be silly

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
thats your opinion mate, an interesting story i will tell you! when stevie was in his teens i went to a match with my lad, my lad said "i don't think he'll make it dad" stevie didn't come into the team as the ready made player, he only really improved by learning the trade from gary macallister, now with stevie being the elder statesman he should use his knowledge to improve jonjo. in 50 years of watching the reds i have seen one better midfielder in our team and that was graeme souness, but even he had been around the block before he came to anfield, there will never be another stevie g, but there will be a jonjo shelvey...............as for getting into other teams, isn't jonjo a current england international?????