• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Steven Gerrard must quit international football

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
i went to sportsmans dinner a few years ago and tommy docherty was the guest speaker, tommy said that when he took over the man utd job it was made easier for him because bobby charlton retired before docherty had to tell him he was dropped. even great players have a sell by date....

steve10

TIA New Signing
Gerrard should have retired a couple of years ago from international football. His performances in the last 2/3 seasons justify the fact that he should concentrate on club football only.

As for Shelvey being able to fill Gerrard's boots- that has to be a joke. Shelvey woundnt make the first team of any of the top6 and the fact that he is being played as a striker in the Liverpool starting XI shows what a poor squad we have. He gives 100%- no doubt but his first touch is awful and he hasnt got any pace.

brush85

thats your opinion mate, an interesting story i will tell you! when stevie was in his teens i went to a match with my lad, my lad said i dont think he'll make it dad" stevie didn't come into the team as the ready made player, he only really improved by learning the trade from gary macallister, now with stevie being the elder statesman he should use his knowledge to improve jonjo. in 50 years of watching the reds i have seen one better midfielder in our team and that was graeme souness, but even he had been around the block before he came to anfield, there will never be another stevie g, but there will be a jonjo shelvey...............as for getting into other teams, isn't jonjo a current england international?????
To be fair to Stevie, he made his first England squads before Gary Mac came here. So he clearly was showing he was good enough from a very early age because he was 19 ( I think ) when he stepped into international football.He had a tough day yesterday but then he had a good day last weekend vs Soton. The issue here is that he shouldnt be a dead cert to start every week anymore...he can still play but should be rotated more than he has been.

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
i am not by any means writing stevie off, but, i would hate to see such a great player carry on too long, he did make his england bow before gary mac took him under his wing but gary made him into an even better player, my mate is stevies uncle and he has said on many occasions that stevie has recognised the help and guidance he received as a youngster from senior players has made him a much better player and person.