• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Stewart Downing - To Middlesbrough // Arsenal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Downing is keen on a Boro return

Tuesday 20th November 2012
By Paul Fraser, Chief Football Writer

MIDDLESBROUGH are the front-runners in the race to land Stewart Downing but the next 72 hours could be crucial if hopes of bringing the Liverpool winger back home are to be realised.

A number of Premier League clubs are interested in making a January move to end his Anfield frustrations after falling out of favour with manager Brendan Rodgers.

But with the prospect of spending the next six weeks or more out of the first team picture, Downing is understood to be attracted by the prospect of moving back to Teesside this week.

With the Football League deadline for loan deals on the horizon on Thursday, time is running out for a deal to be struck.

Liverpool would prefer to raise some cash from selling £10m-rated Downing in the new year, but Middlesbrough would only have the money to meet such demands if they returned to the top-flight.

Everton and his former manager Martin O’Neill, now at Sunderland, are likely to be among those interested after Christmas.

However, Downing would prefer for something to happen sooner rather than later to avoid spending the next couple of months on the sidelines.

A short-term drop into the Championship with Middlesbrough, who have genuine hopes of being in the promotion mix this season, is a realistic option.

Boro chairman Steve Gibson is unlikely to fund all of Downing’s hefty Premier League wage, but it is hoped Liverpool would agree to pay a significant chunk given he would not be moving to a topflight rival.

Boro would face greater competition for the 28-yearold’s signature when the transfer window opens on January 1, so a loan deal before close of business on Thursday will be discussed over the next few days.

Rodgers does not want Downing, just weeks after the player had spoken of a determination to prove to the manager he deserves a place in the Liverpool team after being on the fringes all season.

The situation took a turn for the worse over the weekend when the England winger, part of Roy Hodgson’s Euro 2012 squad, was omitted from the squad that defeated Wigan 3-0. Downing has already been switched by Rodgers from his preferred wing role to leftback and he hit a brilliant winner against Anzhi Makhachkala in the Europa League last month.

But that was just the fourth goal of Downing’s Liverpool career since Kenny Dalglish took him from Aston Villa in 2011. He has only made one Premier League start under Rodgers.

Downing was a graduate of Boro’s academy and became a fans’ favourite during his seven years around the first team squad following his debut at Ipswich Town in 2002.

He was part of the Boro team that made the UEFA Cup final in 2006 when his three assists led to a memorable semi-final comeback win over Steaua Bucharest.

When Boro were relegated in 2009 he moved to Aston Villa for £12m.

Despite losing to Cardiff City on Saturday, which was a first defeat in nine matches, Mowbray’s men sit in third place in the Championship.

http://www.thenorthe...urn/

OhYaBeauty

Respect to Downing if he does it, guess we'll find out in a day or two.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
nope. no more loan deal. pay the money upfront.
else boro pay 100% wage+ guarentee that they sign him for 7-8million in summer.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Because we've got so many attacking players we can afford to let one of them (who's shown a bit of application recently) to just go out on loan?

You couldn't make it up. Unless you were Paul Fraser.

Maybe in January on a permanent but not before on loan.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
nope. no more loan deal. pay the money upfront.
else boro pay 100% wage+ guarentee that they sign him for 7-8million in summer.
'Boro don't have that type of money ... The short-term loan is actually a very good idea ... He might hit some kind of form over the next 5 weeks, and create a market for himself in January ...

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
'Boro don't have that type of money ... The short-term loan is actually a very good idea ... He might hit some kind of form over the next 5 weeks, and create a market for himself in January ...
If Boro can't afford him I'm willing to fly over to England, rent a car and drive him over to Boro.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Any players from Middlesborough that could come in exchange for Downing? I can only think of Steele.

We are so short of attackers that I rather let Downing stay and send Cole out instead. At least the former still has legs to do something.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Any players from Middlesborough that could come in exchange for Downing? I can only think of Steele.
Well, that Luke Williams kid looks talented, but I haven't seen enough of him to make a real assessment ...

rab

Please no more loans. Pay up or do one.

Aqualani had two chances to show what he was worth while out on loan and we still ended up getting a pittance back on him.

Cole had a chance to prove his worth on loan, did well and still no one was interested in taking him in the summer.

Carroll was supposed to be creating a market for himself in January with his performances at West Humpball United and he's looked equally as bad there as he has here. Is he increasing his value for January or the summer, is he balls.

Either sell him outright or he can be back up to our back up left back for the rest of the season. This whole 'loan to show case value' nonsense just isn't working.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
If a loan deal can be struck up now for him to go to Boro and we are still able to sell him in Jan lets do that.

If we can get 7-8M for him in Jan and re-invest it then fk it lets do it.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Fuck me, 20mil player reduced to a Championship player and that is sad. If we put a price tag of 5-8mil, I am sure someone would take him from the Premier League. Don't mess the player's future up putting him in the lower league.

nemeth29

TIA New Signing
Even though I really dislike Downing (something I haven't said about a Liverpool player since Harry Kewell, met the kid twice and just really didn't like his attitude, for me it summed up why he was such a poor player for us, doesn't give a s##t), I don't like the idea of this deal, we'll end up paying practicly all his wages and if 'Boro don't get promoted then we'll be still stook with him come July.

Hopefully we can offload him to Fulham/Sunderland/Anyone on a permanent deal in January

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Fuck me, 20mil player reduced to a Championship player and that is sad. If we put a price tag of 5-8mil, I am sure someone would take him from the Premier League. Don't mess the player's future up putting him in the lower league.
It will be difficult to put him on the market in January, if he is not playing at all ... Playing for 5 weeks at 'Boro would help his fitness, and if he scores a screamer or two in the Championship, it will only bring his price up in January ...

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
The sooner Stewart leaves this club, the better it will be. For him and for us.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Hope it makes Everton & Sunderland more interested after this loan deal.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
If he goes to the championship, trust me he will go for peanuts. Fulham,westham,qpr,aston villa are some clubs. Heck we can even push the barcodes by involving cash+downing for ba.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Only way I see this working out for everyone is a loan with a requirement to buy for a decent sum if they get promoted.

I'd hate to see us do this before January though.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
I don't like the idea of the Middlesboro deal as that will hit his value - I think he should go to a Premiership side.

I like the idea of him leaving however lol

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
I call bagsies on getting to drive his arse out of here.

I'm assuming if he goes on loan to a Championship side, he can still be recalled and sold in January, or does the UEFA rule of "you can only play for two sides in a season" rule apply?

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Yeah, I think he can only move once...think the whole reason Boro want to seal the deal now is so that he's off the market in January..

I guess he doesn't care about England caps? Not gonna get into Roy's team when playing in the Championship...

I'm against this deal. We should hold onto him and sell him in January. Surely between Stoke, Sunderland, and Everton we can get ourselves a decent enough offer for him. Unless Downing is saying he will refuse such a move and only wants to go to Boro..

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Would a bullet not be the cheapest/easiest option?

joking!

but seriously.....

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I definitely feel more badly for Cole than Downing. You can tell Cole really does want to be a success at Liverpool, but sadly he's just a physical wreck these days. Downing on the other hand, a good athlete but just terrible everything else.

It's a shame that Cole doesn't have Downing's athleticism.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
I call bagsies on getting to drive his arse out of here.

I'm assuming if he goes on loan to a Championship side, he can still be recalled and sold in January, or does the UEFA rule of "you can only play for two sides in a season" rule apply?
That's about registration. He can only be registered for a maximum of two clubs in one season. No restrictions on the amount of loans (apart from them being in the stipulated windows).

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I definitely feel more badly for Cole than Downing. You can tell Cole really does want to be a success at Liverpool, but sadly he's just a physical wreck these days. Downing on the other hand, a good athlete but just terrible everything else.

It's a shame that Cole doesn't have Downing's athleticism.
Perhaps we could sign Dr Frankenstein in January then... :D

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
sending him to the championship on loan will basically make him a cheap transfer and a massive loss to us. He may be worth up to 10mill now (I hope), let's not fire sale him

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Don't think letting him go to a championship side on loan is a great idea.

Don't see how that would add to his value, probably better to keep him till Jan and see what we can do then.

I really believe he has to go, but not dumped anywhere.

If he is to go to Borough though,we should expect them to pay the lions share of his wages, which I doubt they can.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
So many of our duds become unsellable these days. People are catching on aren't they

Having said that think he cold do a job at a 5 mill or so level for a lower profile outfit than us. Needs to leave, as he carries the mid table mentality around with him and can infect squads that type of outlook

We should have fixed our scouting network a lot earlier, because you know there is something wrong when players like this become our no 1 targets. Oh well

Reactions: TFC

Status
Not open for further replies.