• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Stewart Downing - To Middlesbrough // Arsenal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Dont know if that was man management stunt by BR. IF he can keep up with this form, we could reduce our losses. I know people will say that he is finally proving is worth. Could be true, but if his transfer aids us in a world class signing, i really wont bother. Besides, he is playing LB, we can alway push glenno there and play kelly at RB and still play enrique in the wing, if thats what BR wants.
Kelly's out injured, if I'm not mistaken I believe he's out for the rest of the year. If we bring in 2 forwards and an LB in January I'll gladly watch Downing leave, but if we don't we still might need the depth he provides us.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Kelly's out injured, if I'm not mistaken I believe he's out for the rest of the year. If we bring in 2 forwards and an LB in January I'll gladly watch Downing leave, but if we don't we still might need the depth he provides us.
agree with you. But get a feeling he will be sold. If the rumors are true, sturridge is in the bag already. if we get 8-10 million for downing, that gives us a good 16-18million to spend on a really good striker{ Ofcourse assuming that ince transfer has broken down). That could be crucial though, could probably decide if we make it in europe or not

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
I couldn't disagree more, he's got skill and finesse, this may not be his time with us but he can be a great player, so I, for one, will give him time.
His attitude is all wrong. If there is one thing that winds me up its his demeanor, it's as though he doesn't really take on board any comments or criticisms from his manager enough. He just carries on doing his own thing. Not a Liverpool player

Had a good game today but too little too late. He will never amount to anything beyond being half decent at a bona fide mid table outfit. At approaching 29 he's too old to change. Deeply average, with maybe a couple of good games a season in him. Taking 45 games to register even an assist let alone a goal is not evidence of a player with skill and finesse, not on planet earth anyway

I hope we don't make the mistake of thinking a swallow makes a summer again after today. We need people we can rely on, he isn't one of those kinds of players and this January is perhaps our last chance of getting some useable money back from him

OhYaBeauty

His attitude is all wrong. If there is one thing that winds me up its his demeanor, it's as though he doesn't really take on board any comments or criticisms from his manager enough. He just carries on doing his own thing. Not a Liverpool player
His attitude is generally crap, yes. But today he showed something different. He ran all over the place and put in the best effort I've seen him do in a red shirt. So yeah, his attitude is crap. But today it was alright. Maybe even good.

lancashirelad

Had a good game today but too little too late. He will never amount to anything beyond being half decent at a bona fide mid table outfit. At approaching 29 he's too old to change. Deeply average, with maybe a couple of good games a season in him. Taking 45 games to register even an assist let alone a goal is not evidence of a player with skill and finesse, not on planet earth anyway

I hope we don't make the mistake of thinking a swallow makes a summer again after today. We need people we can rely on, he isn't one of those kinds of players and this January is perhaps our last chance of getting some useable money back from him
I'll end our discussion with this if I may. I've had the same problem with a player, mine was Aquilani, attribution kicks in and everything he does is wrong and he can do nothing right.

You clearly are not a Downing fan and have been calling for him to leave the club, but one or two more performance like that from him and you might (just might) be won over but I doubt it, so I will stop this fruitless interchange, lets just agree to disagree.

Today an assist and a goal far away from a bad attitude, although I watched his eyes in the post match interview and when he was asked about his future with Liverpool he looked away and down, a clear sign of whatever he was saying was not true, so you may get your wish..

Drian

TIA Youth Team
Peter McDowall ‏@Petermcdowall10
BR on Downing: "If he carries on playing like that he'll be going nowhere, hopefully he will establish himself in the team now." #LFC

Drian

TIA Youth Team
Brendan Rodgers plays down talk of Downing departure after winger opens account

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8352514?

Brendan Rodgers predicted a bright Liverpool future for Stewart Downing after watching the winger destroy Fulham.

Downing scored his first league goal for the club and set up another in a 4-0 win on Saturday night - just a week after he admitted he could be leaving Anfield in January.

And Rodgers afterwards claimed he has never sought to sell a player who has divided opinion among supporters since a £20million move from Aston Villa in the summer of 2011.

He said: "Stewart's been brilliant, he's a real good guy. I want him to be a part of the group here but at his age, we talked at him playing regularly and if the opportunity had come for him to go then him and I would look at it.

"But the reaction from that conversation six or seven weeks ago has been outstanding. He's played a lot of games and I thought he was brilliant.

"If he keeps playing like that then he'll be in the team so there's no need for him to leave to get a game. I always have wanted him to stay. it's not about me pushing him out the door, he's a quality player."

Of his side's overall performance, Rodgers added: "We performed as well as that in a lot of the games to be honest but never always got the result. We were outstanding in every element of our game."

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Brendan Rodgers plays down talk of Downing departure after winger opens account

http://www1.skysport.../11669/8352514?

Brendan Rodgers predicted a bright Liverpool future for Stewart Downing after watching the winger destroy Fulham.

Downing scored his first league goal for the club and set up another in a 4-0 win on Saturday night - just a week after he admitted he could be leaving Anfield in January.

And Rodgers afterwards claimed he has never sought to sell a player who has divided opinion among supporters since a £20million move from Aston Villa in the summer of 2011.

He said: "Stewart's been brilliant, he's a real good guy. I want him to be a part of the group here but at his age, we talked at him playing regularly and if the opportunity had come for him to go then him and I would look at it.

"But the reaction from that conversation six or seven weeks ago has been outstanding. He's played a lot of games and I thought he was brilliant.

"If he keeps playing like that then he'll be in the team so there's no need for him to leave to get a game. I always have wanted him to stay. it's not about me pushing him out the door, he's a quality player."

Of his side's overall performance, Rodgers added: "We performed as well as that in a lot of the games to be honest but never always got the result. We were outstanding in every element of our game."
I agree with Rodgers there ... Our squad is paper thin, and if Downing performs well, he should stay at least until the summer ...

Downing finally looking decent. Even if he is set to leave, at least his form helps to increase the asking price by a bit. Personally I would look at selling him in January only if we can use the funds to bring in another forward or if we get a team offering close to 10m for him. Otherwise keep a hold of him till the summer and depending on how he performs make a decision then.

Cole on the other hand I really hope we can get rid of in the next month. Despite him also starting to perform well his massive wages does not warrant him seeing out the rest of his contract with us. The sooner we get him off our wage bill the better.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Are Arsenal really intrested in him,i wouldn't have thought so.But if they are,would a swap with Walcott be a good deal.Similar wages for a younger player,not outlay of cash.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Any deal to get this player out of the club would be good, even an apple and a bar of chocolate would be good enough for me.

One decent game in 18 months will not convince me that he is good for us. Far too inconsistent and lacks any form of comittment. Mr 'I silence the Kop after my first league goal in 18 months of insignificance, with a finger on my lip' Downing, you are not welcome here. Please pack your bags and go back where you came from.

Edit: may sound a bit harsh, and he surely will stay until the summer by the sound of Rodgers' interview, but I'm sure that we'll watch him disappear in nothingness as soon as the January transfer window closes again... mark my words, he's that kind of player I'm afraid... I'm with Rich here, if any kind of offer comes in, bite their hands off.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Are Arsenal really intrested in him,i wouldn't have thought so.But if they are,would a swap with Walcott be a good deal.Similar wages for a younger player,not outlay of cash.
Would be fantastic. We should test their resolve though.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Any deal to get this player out of the club would be good, even an apple and a bar of chocolate would be good enough for me.

One decent game in 18 months will not convince me that he is good for us. Far too inconsistent and lacks any form of comittment. Mr 'I silence the Kop after my first league goal in 18 months of insignificance, with a finger on my lip' Downing, you are not welcome here. Please pack your bags and go back where you came from.

Edit: may sound a bit harsh, and he surely will stay until the summer by the sound of Rodgers' interview, but I'm sure that we'll watch him disappear in nothingness as soon as the January transfer window closes again... mark my words, he's that kind of player I'm afraid... I'm with Rich here, if any kind of offer comes in, bite their hands off.
Sadly I don't think that any kind of offer will, though Rodgers would probably sell if 8m came up

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
He's regained some form. Please sell him before he turns into Cole. Soon we will have Borini, Sturridge, Suarez, Suso, Sterling, Assaidi and Ince to play the 2 forward and 2 winger positions (even Enrique can cover). That's plenty.

I'd sell him and sign a proper left back.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I don't think I've agreed with much Rich has had to say going right back to him wanting Rafa sacked in 09/10. But he is bang right here.

Downing needs to be shown the exit door as soon as the window opens. Any kind of bid - I don't care - get him off the books.

Any half decent player, at the age of 28 no less, should not need a rocket up his arse from the manager to coax a decent performance out of him. You might expect that from a rookie, but not a seasoned pro.

If all through the last season under Kenny he could have played better than he did then I hate him even more. I wouldn't mind him being a simply limited player but for him to be threatened with being kicked out and only then find a decent run of form says everything you need about the lad.

For me he has a miserable mentality that is not welcome at a club aspiring to more. Play him on the left and he'll whip in percentage balls regardless of whether there is anyone in the end in them. Play him on the right and he'll cut inside and shoot. As long as he does this he'll be satisfied, regardless of whether we win or lose.

He's done ok in the last few games - lets keep him. What, so he can disappear again once he's secure in the next window being six months away?

This mentality needs to be exorcised from this club by a fucking priest, and needing experienced cover does not, for me anyway, justify allowing players like Downing to keep robbing money from us.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I don't think I've agreed with much Rich has had to say going right back to him wanting Rafa sacked in 09/10. But he is bang right here.

Downing needs to be shown the exit door as soon as the window opens. Any kind of bid - I don't care - get him off the books.

Any half decent player, at the age of 28 no less, should not need a rocket up his arse from the manager to coax a decent performance out of him. You might expect that from a rookie, but not a seasoned pro.

If all through the last season under Kenny he could have played better than he did then I hate him even more. I wouldn't mind him being a simply limited player but for him to be threatened with being kicked out and only then find a decent run of form says everything you need about the lad.

For me he has a miserable mentality that is not welcome at a club aspiring to more. Play him on the left and he'll whip in percentage balls regardless of whether there is anyone in the end in them. Play him on the right and he'll cut inside and shoot. As long as he does this he'll be satisfied, regardless of whether we win or lose.

He's done ok in the last few games - lets keep him. What, so he can disappear again once he's secure in the next window being six months away?

This mentality needs to be exorcised from this club by a fucking priest, and needing experienced cover does not, for me anyway, justify allowing players like Downing to keep robbing money from us.
Best post I've read on TIA this Christmas.

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
Just saw this Rodgers quote. Guessing its about Downing, Cole, or both -

"We want to make progress, but unfortunately because of the position we're in, it's going to be slower progress than people would like," Rodgers said. "It's not easily solved. It's not like other sports where you can just tell someone 'that's it' and show them the door and they're gone. This is a club that pays big money - it takes time.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Enrique has a hamstring tear with weakness at left back already no way we will be letting Downing leave.

He is trying hard and putting in a good effort and can be an option at left wing back or right wing till the summer.

Unless somebody puts in an exceptionally good offer and we can bring in a real decent left back.

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
Enrique has a hamstring tear with weakness at left back already no way we will be letting Downing leave.

He is trying hard and putting in a good effort and can be an option at left wing back or right wing till the summer.

Unless somebody puts in an exceptionally good offer and we can bring in a real decent left back.
Or Johnson switches to LB, Wisdom at RB, and we add someone in January. I get your point though, I'm just hopeful that its time for Downing to move on.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Or Johnson switches to LB, Wisdom at RB, and we add someone in January. I get your point though, I'm just hopeful that its time for Downing to move on.
Fully expect that in summer when we will seem less desperate and can take bit more time over making sure a deal out is to our benefit as much as possible. Although as said if anybody offered say 8 million + and match his wages so we dont have to pay him off I would fully expect us to take it. But dont really see that do you?

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
Fully expect that in summer when we will seem less desperate and can take bit more time over making sure a deal out is to our benefit as much as possible. Although as said if anybody offered say 8 million + and match his wages so we dont have to pay him off I would fully expect us to take it. But dont really see that do you?
I don't see it happening in January. I think everyone knows we want to dump him, and there will be more Clubs willing to buy in the Summer. My post was more hopeful than likely.

Mascot88

Admin
I'd prefer to shelve any Robinson loan plans and still dump Downing to be honest. Surely signing a left back over the window shouldn't be beyond us

It makes a statement. We don't tolerate bullshit at this club.

Superior Complex

I'd prefer to shelve any Robinson loan plans and still dump Downing to be honest. Surely signing a left back over the window shouldn't be beyond us

It makes a statement. We don't tolerate bullshit at this club.
The problem is we do, and have done for far to long !

1dragon

TIA Regular
As Rich mentioned, his stock is now on the rise and we should perhaps sell him while we can still get a decent fee. He probably will never cut it here due to his mentality and it is best for all parties involved.

However, a replacement for him will be necessary.

Mascot88

Admin
If we sign a left back, then Downing could be comfortably shed. I still think that's the best bet.

Reactions: TFC

Status
Not open for further replies.