• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Stewart Downing - To Middlesbrough // Arsenal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Its best to offload him now when is having a decent run, we could really cut our losses. 8 million for him. Just test arsenal with downing +4 million for theo. WOuld love to have theo in our squad. sturridge suarez theo is a really fast and dangerous front 3.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Its best to offload him now when is having a decent run, we could really cut our losses. 8 million for him. Just test arsenal with downing +4 million for theo. WOuld love to have theo in our squad. sturridge suarez theo is a really fast and dangerous front 3.
If Wenger buys downing he's officially lost it. No way would he take that offer, he's not a moron

But I agree in the main. Stoke may have him, got some galoots up front for his crosses. Villa might take him back

The sad thing is though is that we are likely being fooled in to keeping him by a brief patch of half decent form that is almost guaranteed to end as soon as the window shuts. He only really produces when someone says to him that he will be sold in the next window I reckon, and only for as long as the window is open. Once it closes he will feel safe again and drift out back in to the EL squad. Sometimes this club can be a little bit like Dot Cotton faced with underperforming Nick Cottons on the playing staff, we forgive em again and again and give them second chance after second chance even when ultimately they will only disappoint in the long run. Voronin, Kewell, Joe Cole, Smicer (though he belatedly did something that made it worthwhile in his case) Phil Babb etc

Downing characters exist in all walks of life. They are the ones who coast and prat around until they see a big boss come to their table or they get a official warning, then they knuckle down for a few weeks then when the heat is off they go back to their old ways again. For me he was one of the chief culprits in getting Kenny the sack by his persistent poor performances and should have walked the plank last summer as an example set. As it is, Rodgers has basically had to resort to public criticism and threats to get anything useful out of him and in the long run that will only get you so far

We have a few weeks to pick up a decent winger. Go for it and let him go. Surely we had to have planned for this since the summer you would imagine, especially if the manager believed that the player isn't going to cut it which judging by Rodgers comments is or was his belief. Be assertive and find that upgrade. Now, not in 6 months, because that upgrade might turn our season on its head, you never know

Proactivity. It's a virtue you know...

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Ince is more of a replacement for Assaidi if you ask me...and Assaidi himself is on less than half the wages that Maxi was on, no? Hard to call that much of a replacement either.

Downing is on twice the wages that someone like Ince would make. Twice as experienced, too.

We are trying to buy Ince regardless of Downing. We need to sell Downing ASAP and use his wages and whatever else we've saved on the departures of Kuyt, Bellamy, Maxi, and Cole to get ourselves a #10 and another forward/winger.

I can't fathom how we've not yet worked out a deal with Sunderland. He is perfect for them. They need him. Jose Enrique's injury won't put him out for the entire season, so I disagree with this justification that we keep him for his wondrous abilities as a LB...playing Stu at LB just means Wisdom can't get a game. Brendan, don't you wanna develop the YOUTH??

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
If Wenger buys downing he's officially lost it. No way would he take that offer, he's not a moron

But I agree in the main. Stoke may have him, got some galoots up front for his crosses. Villa might take him back

The sad thing is though is that we are likely being fooled in to keeping him by a brief patch of half decent form that is almost guaranteed to end as soon as the window shuts. He only really produces when someone says to him that he will be sold in the next window I reckon, and only for as long as the window is open. Once it closes he will feel safe again and drift out back in to the EL squad. Sometimes this club can be a little bit like Dot Cotton faced with underperforming Nick Cottons on the playing staff, we forgive em again and again and give them second chance after second chance even when ultimately they will only disappoint in the long run. Voronin, Kewell, Joe Cole, Smicer (though he belatedly did something that made it worthwhile in his case) Phil Babb etc

Downing characters exist in all walks of life. They are the ones who coast and prat around until they see a big boss come to their table or they get a official warning, then they knuckle down for a few weeks then when the heat is off they go back to their old ways again. For me he was one of the chief culprits in getting Kenny the sack by his persistent poor performances and should have walked the plank last summer as an example set. As it is, Rodgers has basically had to resort to public criticism and threats to get anything useful out of him and in the long run that will only get you so far

We have a few weeks to pick up a decent winger. Go for it and let him go. Surely we had to have planned for this since the summer you would imagine, especially if the manager believed that the player isn't going to cut it which judging by Rodgers comments is or was his belief. Be assertive and find that upgrade. Now, not in 6 months, because that upgrade might turn our season on its head, you never know

Proactivity. It's a virtue you know...
Top post mate. I reckon had Enrique not picked up that injury then Stewie would be down the river. He has contributed recently but that only highlights how shit he has been up to this. A 20Mil winger, England International, chance creator, Goalscorer?
History will show that he is probably our worst ever transfer and that takes some doing.

OhYaBeauty

There's almost no chance of us getting rid of him in January. There, I've said it

:(

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Liverpool winger Stewart Downing has played down reports linking him with a move to Sunderland or a return to Middlesbrough, telling the Sunday Times he is happy to fight for his place under Brendan Rodgers.
"My response had to be to play well," he said."As my dad said, 'Prove to him, give him food for thought'. I don't know if it was a gee-up or what, he [Rodgers] certainly tests players - it was good, I appreciated the straightness, most players do.

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
No reason to sell him now other than fsg at what they do best slashing the wage bill.
Give me a break. We let overpaid, underperforming players go like Cole, Maxi, Sahin, Kuyt, Doni, Aurelio, Carroll. And then gave raises to Sterling, Wisdom, Suarez, Agger, Skrtl.This isn't wage bill slashing, this is smart club management.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
Give me a break. We let overpaid, underperforming players go like Cole, Maxi, Sahin, Kuyt, Doni, Aurelio, Carroll. And then gave raises to Sterling, Wisdom, Suarez, Agger, Skrtl.This isn't wage bill slashing, this is smart club management.
Why include dirk kuyt in that list?
Please...

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
At a guess removing the wages of just 1 player eg Maxi is enough for the pay rises of Suarez, Agger, Wisdom and Skrtel.

All evidence is that we have slashed the wage bill, which I expect will be confirmed in future financial statements.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
At a guess removing the wages of just 1 player eg Maxi is enough for the pay rises of Suarez, Agger, Wisdom and Skrtel.

All evidence is that we have slashed the wage bill, which I expect will be confirmed in future financial statements.
Those guys you mentioned were playing for free until one of those players on that other list is being let go, they took that money to pay the guys you mentioned. So it is right that they aren't exactly stingy.

Football players today, none of ours are now considered over paid.

t34m43

I agree with this, we seem to have left players who we bought in to play in the first team in the squad just to not accept that they had not worked out. The squad right now though looks lacking in quality, hopefully FSG and Rodgers will understand this needs to be addressed in the summer. However, we have not seen a Borini, Sturridge, Suarez front line yet, I still have my fingers crossed that these 3 could prove to be a top forward line.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
The team doesn't lack quality but you are right about the squad.

Saying that bar Sahin who I don't think had enough time and Maxi/Kuyt most of the others I don't think showed much quality/reliablity while they were here.We could still be carrying Carroll, Aurelio, Cole and Doni and would any of them be contributing much to the team?

captain chaos

TIA Youth Team
Aurelio - aside from injuries was perhaps our best LB since the start of the Benitez era

a magnificant player, proved an education in how to own his area with the ball, economical, fantastic touch, great vision, fantastic awareness, controlled the tempo.

if only he'd been able to stay fit - i rated him as a massive plus for us as a player, a massive what couldv been

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Based on what TFC posted above, it seems like Downing wants to stay and fight for his place. In fairness, at his age, he has very little chance to be at a club of this level ever again so I can see why he'd want to (or his father would want him to) stay and be a rotational player rather than pull an Adam Johnson (who is only 25 y/o).

And we don't have the depth at his position to freeze him out, not at the moment anyway.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Aurelio - aside from injuries was perhaps our best LB since the start of the Benitez era

a magnificant player, proved an education in how to own his area with the ball, economical, fantastic touch, great vision, fantastic awareness, controlled the tempo.

if only he'd been able to stay fit - i rated him as a massive plus for us as a player, a massive what couldv been
He also had an awfull injury record at Valencia so it's not like Rafa didn't know what he was getting. A great pity that we couldn't get more gametime from him. Oh well.

Now where are we? Oh yeah.....Downing is overpaid and his contribution to the cause negligble.

Booo.......hisss.......

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Sometimes it takes a player a year or even more to settle in at Anfield, Terry McDermott is a prime example. I think Downing's attitude has been first class. He plays whatever role Brendan asks of him and never runs to the press bitching about this or that.

I am quite happy if he stays, I think we will get the best of his playing career at Anfield

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Sometimes it takes a player a year or even more to settle in at Anfield, Terry McDermott is a prime example. I think Downing's attitude has been first class. He plays whatever role Brendan asks of him and never runs to the press bitching about this or that.

I am quite happy if he stays, I think we will get the best of his playing career at Anfield
He doesn't belong here

His attitude has been poor. The fact he needs to be threatened to produce anything remotely half decent is a sign of that. He's the personification of mid table mediocrity. Otherwise he's had more excuses than everygamenoexcuses, never taken any responsibility for his lack of quality and effort whatsoever. He takes quite a part of Te responsibility for Kenny getting sacked yet he never seemed to care one bit. Wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire

As I said elsewhere, better players have been binned a lot faster. At 29 don't see him improving much. He's a professional hider, especially against anyone half decent, and having players like this around its no suprise the team are quite happy to dine out on occasional good displays and just pass off shit league positions as 'transitional'. The concept of performance standards is becoming alien to the present generation of footballers here and this fella is one of the prime culprits

Can't stand him. Just bin him off. He's the kind of player that costs managers jobs in the long run. We need to clear out all the mentally weak wet ends from the squad if we ever want to compete again. Find it depressing that not only some supporters get fooled by such players, it appears managers can as well

Be a day of rejoicing when he is finally fucked off. Be similar to the party when Jovanovic and Voronin were binned....

Rooster

What a hit son
That's a great spray Rich. Tell us what you really think....

Personally I hold some hope of more value

mattyhurst

TIA Regular

Yeah as I said reliability, he was pretty neat all over the park really, I know he played well in midfield a few times.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I confidently predict that should Downing survive this transfer window his performances will swiftly nose dive.

He is to transfer windows what Harry Kewell was to major finals.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Bugger. The moment transfer window shuts, so will his average form. He still is no where close to half decent. Only thing he does is makes some decent runs and crosses/passes decently. Best sell him now when we will get atleast 8-10.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
When's the last time he was properly linked with someone, at the start of this thread? I don't think he will leave in this window.

Status
Not open for further replies.