• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Sturridge and Moreno to leave the club

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Daniel Sturridge and Alberto Moreno will leave Liverpool this summer at the end of their contracts.

England striker Sturridge, 29, scored 67 goals in 160 appearances after joining from Chelsea in January 2013.

Spanish left-back Moreno played 141 times for the club, having signed from Sevilla in August 2014.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said: "The most important words to say to these two remarkable players are 'thank you'."

The Reds are keen to offer Klopp a new contract after winning the Champions League with a 2-0 victory over Tottenham in Madrid on Saturday.

The German said: "Alberto is a person whose personality is reflected in how he plays - full of life, full of energy, always positive. An unbelievable character who is always willing to give all of himself for the team.

"Daniel has earned the right to be considered a modern-day Liverpool great, I would think. He came to the club while we were trying to rebuild and re-establish ourselves. Some of the goals he has scored for Liverpool were so, so, so important.

"We will miss them of course, but we can say farewell with the best words possible: Guys, you leave as European champions."

Both players leave Anfield having fallen out of favour during the 2018-19 season. Sturridge made 27 appearances in all competitions but 20 of those were as a substitute. Moreno made just four starts and one substitute appearance.

They were both part of the Liverpool team that was beaten in the 2016 EFL Cup and Europa League finals in Klopp's first season in charge.

Sturridge began his career at Manchester City before joining Chelsea in 2009. He also spent six months on loan at Bolton during his time at Stamford Bridge before making the move to Anfield.

He scored 24 goals in his first full season at the club as Luis Suarez's strike partner as Liverpool challenged for the Premier League before ultimately finishing second to Manchester City.

After struggling for first-team football he spent the second half of last season on loan at West Brom, although injury restricted him to just six appearances.

In November 2018 Sturridge was charged with misconduct by the Football Association over alleged breaches of betting rules in January of that year. The striker, who denies the charges, was given until February to provide written evidence but has yet to hear a verdict from the governing body.

Moreno, who has been capped four times by Spain, came through the youth ranks at Sevilla before moving to Anfield for around £12m. He was first-choice left-back left for two seasons but lost his place to James Milner and then Andy Robertson in recent seasons.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Both leave Champions League winners and with our gratitude. They have however been victims of our success and the team has outgrown them now, but I have nothing but best wishes for both.

Sturridge is probably the 2nd best finisher I’ve seen after Fowler, he was part of a front three which would run our current trio dam close.. What could have been for Danny, I’m sad injuries robbed him, but he is a quality player and amazing guy.

Moreno whilst having the defensive nous of a pigeon seems a great guy and a huge personality around the team. Before Robbo got his chance (and never looked back) Moreno was actually playing excellently, sadly Robbo is worldclass and Moreno must want to play at this time of his career. I will miss his double scissor kick from behind which gave me many o ffs moments!

Good luck Albie and Danny - YNWA.

Red over the water

This confirms what we all expected. I think the manager showed great class in his comments.

"Alberto is a person whose personality is reflected in how he plays - full of life, full of energy, always positive. An unbelievable character who is always willing to give all of himself for the team.

"Daniel has earned the right to be considered a modern-day Liverpool great, I would think. He came to the club while we were trying to rebuild and re-establish ourselves. Some of the goals he has scored for Liverpool were so, so, so important.

"We will miss them of course, but we can say farewell with the best words possible: Guys, you leave as European champions."

Well said Jurgen. And Alberto and Danny, YNWA.

If the game ever brings you back to Anfield, you will receive a warm welcome.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I'm as big a critic as anyone about Moreno, and I've been happy to part ways with DS for a couple of seasons now, but I wish them both nothing but the best of luck for the rest of their careers. I genuinely hope DS gets over his injuries and starts banging them in again (just not against us) and Moreno finds a club more suited to his particular style of play.

Goodbye guys and good luck.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Good luck Danny,
On your peak, you were a delight to watch. Sublime footwork and clinical finisher. Unlucky to be plagued with so many injuries.
Glad that you are leaving as an European champion.
Deserve it!

Good luck to Moreno,
Never reached his potential here. Odd glimpses of how good he could have been. Very nice lad and always cheerful. Wish he goes to club which will suit his style.

Both of them, in their own way, contributed to us being champions 6 times.
:cheers:

Herb

Sturridge provided us with some genuinely great moments. For the first 18 months he was here he was putting up some elite numbers and was well on the way to becoming one of the worlds leading strikers. Such a shame he could never get over those niggling injuries and get his body in a condition he was comfortable with. At least this season he managed to chip in with a crucial goal against PSG and an absolute thunderbastard at Chelsea.

As for Moreno, I would never call into question his heart or effort over the course of his time here, he was just never at the standard we required, particularly defensively. Too many brain dead moments and lapses in concentration. I’m not convinced he’ll ever succeed anywhere as a full back in a back four, seems like his attributes are far more suited to playing as a wide midfielder in a 442 or as a wing back with more defensive protection around him.

Best of luck to the both of them.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Best of luck to both the lads, I hope they find somewhere to enjoy the rest of their football careers.

YNWA

kwala

TIA Regular
Best thing for everyone. Both deserve to be playing regular football. Attitude of both has been amazing around the squad. It would be easy to loose interest, train at 50% and be disruptive. Both were great pros though, and great squad members. Deservedly went out on a high with the parade. Injuries robbed Sturridge of a great career, and us of Sturridge. Albie never gave less than 100%, but was just not switched on enough defensively.

All the best to both. Great servents of the club.

Nur der BvB09

Sturr had enough class if not illnesprone and the next one well i didn t knew he Plays for us tbh i thought Andy R. have been playing the left back since he came to life for us.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I think DS is probably the best player we had that never really peaked because of his injuries.
While many strikers rely on speed, the talent Sturridge has in his 2 feet is amazing. The Chelsea goal this season, the goal against Seville in the Europa league final to name a few. He probably tops my "What if " list.
I am sure there is no shortage of clubs lining up to sign him up.

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team
I think DS is probably the best player we had that never really peaked because of his injuries.
While many strikers rely on speed, the talent Sturridge has in his 2 feet is amazing. The Chelsea goal this season, the goal against Seville in the Europa league final to name a few. He probably tops my "What if " list.
I am sure there is no shortage of clubs lining up to sign him up.
Sadly we've had a few of those "what-ifs" in our recent history. Aurelio and Agger being the other stand outs.

Even if he didn't play a massive part in the CL, I'm glad he got a medal and celebrated with everyone else. He was a part of our rise back to the top and experienced too many heartbreaks in cup finals and league campaigns without anything to show for it.

Best of luck to both of them where ever they go.

Mousecat

In terms of talent and technique, Sturridge was one of the very best strikers in European football. At his peak I genuinely don't think there was a better finisher on the continent. I rated him that highly. It's such a shame he only got to show that level for a glimpse in time. Puts into perspective how time flies and how short a footballer's career is. It's a short amount of time even if you get the most out of it, so when injuries rob you of full seasons in what's supposed to be the peak of your career, it's like you never really got to do it properly. Hopefully he's got enough healthy days ahead of him to score a lot more goals. He's still talented enough to do it if his body lets him.

Moreno can go on and have a good time somewhere else too. Never will be a good defender. Ever, haha. But as an attacking wide player for a reasonably competitive club, I think yea, he can do a job.

Made up they got their trip round the city. They'll never forget that in their lives.

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
I never heard either of them complain about their lot. Did their work as well as they could and wore the shirt as proud as possible when they were on the pitch. Moreno still has elite football ahead of him, IMO. No disgrace being pushed to the bench by the best left back in the league. I hope Daniel finds a pleasant last act. I think he'd tear MLS apart with his finishing skills. You don't need to be speedy there to do damage (ask Rooney).

Cheers to them both.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
I'd always hoped Sturridge would rebound from the injury plague - an absolutely fantastic player who must have been gutted at seeing his contributions wane while other players took over. His form during *that* season with Suarez will live long in the memory. I hope his career takes back off again with a new club, and he can hit the heights again.

Oh, and er, seeya Albie. Thanks for keeping the latin lads cheerful?

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
DS - the current few years should have been his peak years. And an injury free DS in peak years should have been an elite even among world class player. What a shame that injuries have reduced him to bit and parts player. But that doesn't take away the brilliance in that 1 season. Thanks a lot DS. YNWA.

Moreno is a LB who can't defend for life and a player for who the right leg is just dead weight. Directly responsible for our EL final loss. But since we have got 6 now, we can finallyet that slide. That goal against spurs was a great one - thought we had one heck of a player on our ranks. It's alright anyway. Thanks a lot Moreno. YNWA.

Incognito

The Normal One
Thank you for the memories, Albie and Danny. Were and have been wonderful professionals. Albie actually was pretty good till Robbo took his place last season. Sturridge's 13 season was world class. If only injuries weren't an issue for him. Wish them both good luck ahead :well done:

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Sturridge is a genuine world-class player in my opinion, in terms of raw talent and of character. Only the ƒ°©∆¡[email protected] injuries have prevented him from becoming an all-time legend for this club. He deserves to be remembered dearly by any Liverpool fan imo. Some of his goals have been magnificent (actually, so many of them, also this season again), and the 13-14 season stands obviously out as his personal zenith. The partnership he was forming with Suarez then was a joy to behold. Fare well Danny, all the best for you, wherever you go!

Albie Moreno deserves plaudits as well. We all know that he hadn't a cat in hell's chance to make that left back spot his own again, but several things should be noted:
  • First, he played very well before he got injured and Robbo took his place in the team. Everyone was acknowledging how he had progressed, and his call-up for the Spanish team was deserved at the time.
  • Second, we never heard a word from him in the media or elsewhere, complaining about a lack of playing time. He chose to remain professional and to back the team. He really deserves a pat on the back for this. After all, he was brought in to the club as a first-teamer, not as a back-up. I for one respect him a lot for this attitude.
Him leaving now is of course completely understandable. He needs to, wants to and deserves to play on a more regular basis. I'm convinced that he'll be a good player for any interested team, for instance in Spain. It will be interesting to see how his career goes from here on. All the best to you too, Albie!

It will be interesting to see who replaces these two. Brewster is probably Sturridge's natural replacement, especially as Klopp has already said that he'll be a part of the squad next season. I don't know if Moreno can be replaced from the inside, which would be ideal, but not sure about that. The club will maybe have to move in the player market in order to get a really solid and reliable back-up for Robbo. We'll see.

Edit: just realised that Sturridge, despite all of his injury woes, has a goal for every 137 minutes played with us. These are incredible stats, really! :cheers:

Last edited:

Claymenza

Premier league winner, Fa cup winner twice, champions league winner twice and still kept a great attitude despite being on the fringes for so long.
England international
Played for liverpool, chelsea and man city so I doubt he will join another english team at this point.

Perhaps Rangers?

Still has tons more to offer. Fancy joining Toronto FC full time with the occasional loan move to Rangers in the off season?
As for moreno, he could also benefit from a move to TFC if that cap didn't exist.

Lidoris

TIA New Signing
I've always been a fan of Daniel Sturridge and I'm sad at this moment :-(
He is very talented, gifted and quality player, but these injuries... So sad to see such a skillful player not to reach the top players of the world, because of inconsistent rhythm, due to injuries...
I have to say, I had some little hopes that he could stay for another season, but it was clear Klopp doesn't see him as key part of the team and Sturridge is at such age, that he has to play regularly after these years of recovering. So it was easy to see Sturridge will go after CL final. He gave us joy and some wonderful goals...so I wish him all the best with all my heart!
In a perfect world he could be our Messi or Ronaldo, but never the less I love him and I hope he will succeed in his new team.
Good luck Daniel !!!

Now I remember his goal against Chelsea in the last minutes for 1-1 - this beauty I will remember for many years...

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Good luck to them both, but to be at honest I think they both should have left the club before now.

At his best Sturridge was a fantastic player and it's a crying shame that he didn't win the league with us.

At his best Moreno was average and it's a crying shame that we didn't win the Europa League when he was with us.