• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Summer Transfer Window

How would you rate our summer transfer window?

• Total voters

tooloom

TIA Youth Team
4 for me. I think the Carroll situation was handled very badly by Brendan right from the get go. It was obvious he didnt want him yet the way we went about it drove the price and demand down.
Sahin and Allen are top players, hopefully we can get the former on a permanent deal next summer.
The failure to get a finisher during this window was mind boggling. This team has been crying out for a finisher since Torres left and failure to get one should have heads rolling. Not sure about Borini, he looks a bit powderpuff but hes young so may come good.
I not only agree totally but I like your avatar.......
The third window we have needed but haven't got a striker

YNWA

northjet

TIA Reserve Team
Gave it a 5, based on the Sahin and Allen signings. Both are high quality individuals. Can't really comment on Assadi, who may prove quality, but I thought Borini was well over-priced, and we could have done a fair bit better for the money. Eleven million on potential is a lot to risk for LFC at the moment. The decision to loan out Carroll before acquiring a replacement was a disgrace, and I think will haunt us. Same old story, money not being deployed properly.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
The best thing about the window for me was that we didn't act like the rest of the leagues piggy bank. I said when we missed Siggurdsson this might happen a few more times with players whose clubs think they can stick a couple of million Liverpool premium on any deal.

Disappointed to miss Dempsey, as seems everyone is, but I can take that if it shows we're not going to be bullied on prices. We should have had another striker lined up though, as we do look painfully thin. Hope Morgan can step up, until January.

All in all though, I'm still hugely positive about our future. We have the right man in Rodgers, and it feels like the real start of the FSG era. There are going to be more mistakes along the way - just hope the fans can hold their nerve and not start panicking.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
The final day makes me want to put 1, I felt so utterly despondent but Allen is a good signing and I really am rooting for Borini as he seems hard working and really likeable. I don't really know much about Sahin and Assaidi, so time will tell.

Colin

TIA First Team
The "In's" and a few of the "Outs" were clearly part of a process, a plan and in that respect i'd give it 7/8.

However, the way we lost several key goal scorers and didn't even really seriously try to replace them demonstrated massive lack of foresight and it's cost us this season. I'm not sure how saving a few million at the expense of our season can be justified? Because of that which was exemplified on deadline day i'd give it a 5 overall. Far too much niavity.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I voted an 8. I think Joe Allen is and will be one of our best players for years to come. Borini struggling brings it down a bit, but I hope over time he becomes good. Yesil and Assaidi are good buys just because they came so cheap, without any of us knowing how they will pan out. The good news is unlike last years window this window won't haunt the club for years to come. Paying Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing that amount of fees and paying them that amount in wages who are lucky to even be on the bench just because the squad strenght will take years to bulid up is an utter embarrassment.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
A 3.

We cut too much out too fast, and almost killed the patient.

We cut so much into the bone even though we replaced some parts with brand new transplanted organs.

But we will not know if we'll survive.

Holding my breath.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
I went 5, could have been much higher where it not for the calamity that was deadline day, had we brought in Sturridge and Dempsey I would have rated the window a 8, add a LB and it would have been a 9

Allen - looks a terrific player and being so young he only gets better - 8
Borini - Jury still out works hard and is young and BR rates him so prepared to give him some time - 5
Assaidi - Havent seen him yet but clips make him look decent and at the price can't miss really - 6
Sahin - Happy we beat Arsenal to him and he gives us depth, wasn't a priority signing for mine but will contribute - 7

No doubt the disaster that was deadline day really set us back, we have all talked about it enough the last two weeks so think everything that needs to be said has been said. Guess we cross fingers and hope for no injuries between now and January.

I should add If FSG think they will be getting value in January they are kidding themselves, players that are available are generally of less talent and at higher prices so unless they can pull a rabbit out of a hat think we are in for a very tough season. We know they won't overspend even for a million or two so I don't see us doing alot of business in January and if that is the case we will be lucky to stay in the top half on current form.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
The problem though was the "thining" of our squad. I remember BR stating how thin our squad was when we took off to go play our 1st away EL match. That's when I said to myself, it's really weird we are off-loading all the Dirk's and Maxi's of the world.

Well I support BR a lot. But his inexperience or too "trustworthy" attitude contributed to this mess. A certain master in 2007 and 2008 did not allow anyone to leave as we were facing similar thin squad issues.... Better to have some folks around, than just kids. And not even enough kids.

Toby

TIA Youth Team
Considering Carroll scored only four goals last year I can't understand why so many are upset the club didn't replace him with another signing on the last day of the transfer window. I have more faith that Morgan or another one of the younger forwards can score more than four goals.

While I am sure Dempsey would score more than four goals, I like the tough stand not paying a Liverpool tax for incoming transfers too. A club puts a price tag on upcoming transfer targets and should never pay more, no matter who. The more desperate we become in the transfer market, the higher the tax Liverpool will pay.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Considering Carroll scored only four goals last year I can't understand why so many are upset the club didn't replace him with another signing on the last day of the transfer window. I have more faith that Morgan or another one of the younger forwards can score more than four goals.

While I am sure Dempsey would score more than four goals, I like the tough stand not paying a Liverpool tax for incoming transfers too. A club puts a price tag on upcoming transfer targets and should never pay more, no matter who. The more desperate we become in the transfer market, the higher the tax Liverpool will pay.
Agreed but I think on deadline with basically no strikers or goalscorers apart from a certain Urugyan, I think paying a few extra million is beneficial in the long run.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.

rest assured we will be back to paying a 'liverpool tax when we are 15th place in mid january. its not inconcievable. Would only take a couple more injuries and we would be throwing out teenagers against Stoke away. We are already doing that but not everybody we have is as good as Raheem Sterling

Morgan isnt of the same calibre. Yesil might be but hes very very new to it all and has played no senior football

Assadi is an unknown, he could spring a suprise but at the same time he could end up becoing one of those weird buys which end up buried under Brendan Rodgers patio, a bit hoe Josemi and Doni seemed to go. Need to see more of him

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Going to have to go for 3. For me the squad we had last season was about 3 players short of being capable of challenging for the top for positions. I reckoned we needed a striker, a winger and a creative midfielder. While we have brought in Borini, Assaidi and Allen/Sahin, because of the 'outs' we have actually gone backwards.
By getting rid of Kuyt, Bellamy, Carroll, and Spearing, instead of having a number of options, we have a hastily puit together plan A and very little else.

I understand the need completely not to overpay for players but from the outside this window ended up looking like ineptitude from all involved.

rab

I think there's some pretty harsh ratings on here that are based mainly around the failings of the final day. Whilst that was an undeniable cockerill up the window as a whole wasn't that bad I don't think. Bearing in mind a net spend of over £25m is what was expected and that we had some high earners not playing a lot and looking to move on I think we did okay.

Allen looks great and once we sort out the roles/positioning of the other central midfielders I think we'll really see the best of him.

Sahin was player of the year in Germany at 21 and whilst things haven't worked out at Real he wouldn't be the first player to move on from there and go on to show what he can really do.

Borini is raw but has a touch of the Kuyts about him. Not the most skillful but hard worker and has potential to improve.

Assaidi is a bit of a mystery but his stats and the fact he was all but off to Ajax shows he could be an astute signing. Time will tell.

Bellamy, Kuyt and Maxi are experienced players to loose but all had their reasons for wanting to go. We could have resisted for Bellamy and Maxi but their depatures have opened up the opportunity for Sterling which is already showing to be a real positive. Spearing and Adam are no great loss considering who we've had come in and the same goes for Aqualani who was just a wage thief for the past two seasons.

In a realistic world we were never going to be spending £40m-£50m net on transfers after the disaster of last summer so people expecting back up left backs and three new forwards we're always going to be disapointed. The Carroll/Dempsey situation was a monumental error that really could hurt us but based on the ins and outs for this window with the limitations of a new manager, scouting team and realistic budget I think we did okay.

Average rating so far = 4.87 (after 77 votes). Keep the votes coming and if you could also please explain why you voted as you did that would be even better!

supereddman98

Went for a 5 currently, only 4 games in and Allen has been very impressive looks like he'll be fantastic, after half a season I think we'll have a better understanding on how good the transfers were. So far I have to say our youngsters have been the better upgrades to the 1st team with Sterling looking the player we all thought he'd be, Shelvey starting to show his quality and hopefully a few of the others breakthrough.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
I gave it a 6, some shrewd buys (i believe) in Assaidi & Yesil, finally a couple of players that aren't costing $$$$ in wages or transfer fees. Joe Allen was obviously the stand out. Would like to have seen Cole & Downing offloaded.

Obviously the striker issue is playing a major part in the 6 rating. Though sending Carroll out on loan to West Ham who love the hoofball will do the lad wonders, rejuvenated and I fully expect us to get a big fee for him when he has a storming season.

1dragon

TIA Regular
It was a window of ups and downs for me, but the way Carroll was treated throughout was disgraceful. Coupled with his exit and no incoming players to replace him, I give it a 5 overall.

Rodgers love-fest will Cole did not help one bit, playing him in the friendlies and he got injured, and then giving him another chance ahead of the likes of Sterling and Pacheco. Tried to shop him out too late in the window and that was it. At the same time, he alienated players whom he has not even seen in training yet, most notably Adam and Carroll. Now, Adam was sold for a decent fee and we have adequate cover, so that is still okay, but what about Carroll? Not to mention, the Dempsey deal which involved Henderson going there plus cash. Were we really so desperate as to take a massive hit on Henderson?

I felt there was clearly a set budget for this window, but it was adhered to far too strictly. Joe Allen was our "marque" signing this season, and he made up more than half of the budget. Then we put another 11M or an up and coming striker in Borini, who is all fairness, supposed to play a rotation role this season. It seems easy to place the blame on Rodgers for not using the money wisely, but the owners have to see that by sacking a manager, you are bound to have to fork out more money since the new manager would prefer his own set of players.

Borini has been average so far while Allen has been good. Still too early to judge, but we sure left some gaping holes in attack unfilled.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
First off, thanks for getting the forums up and going again! I've been going through withdrawals. For me I'd say a 6 overall.

There was a while I think I, and many others would have considered this window very very good, maybe an 8. With Joe Allen it seems like we got a great player for years to come. Beating Arsenal for Sahin was a massive surprise and he's obviously got quality. So our midfield was adequately taken care of after last years horrendous performance.

Up front Borini seems promising though admittedly he's yet to really impress me. Assaidi, who knows. If we don't see him the the next Europa game I'm going to start to worry about that one though. Still, he was cheap and looks like a tricky player. Yesil sounds extremely promising, can't wait to see him get some games. Letting Carroll go was the big mistake. We're thin up front and Borini has no competition. Massive mistake to not bring in cover in the way of Dempsey or Sturridge, or really anyone.

There is something to be said about not loosing our players. It seems like every window one of our top players is pushing for a move. That's nice to see. Trimming the wage bill will prove to be good in the long run though I don't see us getting Cole out anytime soon and that's disheartening.

Overall, mediocre window but some positives. We're not set up to make a 4th place run really but I think we're a little better then last year, especially in the midfield and we should comfortably find ourselves in the 5-8 positions once we get past this awful, but difficult start.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Gave it a 2, unless we are in the balance sheet cleaning, financial business.... 2 is all they get for trimming wage bill, sending out players and not getting in a prolific goal scorer.

psycho_chicken

TIA Reserve Team
Lowered the wage bill, yadayadayada.. => ok on that side, some cleaning was necesarry (but not at all costs)

As for incoming activity - Allen is the only one that has already really impressed me. We paid enough, but he still was a gamble to make which instantly cashed out. Sahin, showed some proof of what he can do, but still waiting to judge him on performances. Borini, decent, came from italy so still is adapting.

Missing out on some attacking subjects makes it hard to be positive here. We have 2 points from 4 matches. Some of that loss is because we have to play the football that BR wants but we do not have enough options.

To summarize, this summers activity is worth nothing more than a 3 for me.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
It was really a case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. If we had shut it down and taken the last 4 days or so off, I would have been contented, not elated, but satisfied. Allen looks like a fantastic player, Sahin I believe will prove to have been a nice pick-up, another forward would have been a solid addition. We spent substantially, and well - more is always nice, but in the real world that is not always feasible or wise. I think we ended 5th on total spend.

And then we blew our own brains out.

For the first time since FSG took over, I have felt there is some substance to the charges that their knowledge of football was limiting them (I think they need someone who understands, not necessarily that they do personally - their own understanding of baseball is by their own admission not that deep). I was surprised to find myself agreeing with the SoS open letter, as I have been deeply distrustul of them since the Munich song fiasco. But their demand that someone with 'last call' decision-making power needs to be Liverpool-based appears to be bang on. Even if it someone with no understanding of footy at all, someone needed to be in the war room that Friday night to feel the panic that should have been setting in, and ask Ayre where the f--k he was going with 3 hours left in the window.

FSG have shot themselves in the foot rather badly for the sake of financial rigour. The whole 'they are planning to sell' is nonsense, you don't sell financial discipline, the amount in question was small versus a sale of the club - especially when they had already made major expenditures, it would be like building an expensive addition on your house before selling it but refusing to put on a cheap cost of fresh paint.

I partially blame Rodgers for addressing 'nice to have' points like Allen before dealing with 'must haves', but between the fact I love Allen's game and he was clearly working within some sort of instruction or framework that led him to move Carroll on the expectation of replacement, I am not going to be too critical. Some sort of communication screw-up hit, probably involving Ayre. Ayre reports to the Board, not Rodgers. In my book, you don't make a subordinate wear someone else's error, be it your own or someone else who reports to you. FSG should have looked at the situation, put aside the urge to be disciplined to a fault, and closed at least one deal.

I also blame Ayre, regardless of what limitations he had. When the Dempsey-Sturridge train wreck started to unfold, he should have been begging Boston for some laxity - and failing that, spending what he could spend to plug the gap. There are strikers in the Championship that we might regret not having in November, embarassing though that may have been. He sure as helll should not have turned off the lights and headed home early while there was any scrap of a possible solution in play - a real example of why someone from FSG or with the final decision-making needed to be in the room.

What they have done is a massive error on two fronts. Firstly, by allowing the club to have just two senior strikers, they are a turned ankle away from having no reasonable basis for judging Rodger's performance for the entire season. Secondly, at a time when they are investing in a youth strategy and there appears to be a wealth of potential in most positions, they have saddled Rodgers with an unbalanced squad that can scarcely sustain competition in the PL. when the Cups and the EL could be providing valuable development opportunities. It was an absolute false economy.

I expected us to be on 5 points after 5 games, still could happen - all I really expected was a win versus Sunderland or WBA. I still believe in the plan, I see lots of encouraging signs, I am not panicking. But the club failed to manage its risk, and may well have made this first stage far harder than it needed to be for the sake of saving a couple of million. Folly.

Edit: I gave a 4

Wathik_LFC

TIA Youth Team
I gave it a 1. We lost too many valuable players without replacing. Every team in EPL has gotten stronger than last year but us. We might be better financially but don't see it on the pitch. Like a top 4 challenge is already out the question and it's only the 1st month gone. Wort start in 100 years should be a big indicator.......

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I gave it a 1. We lost too many valuable players without replacing. Every team in EPL has gotten stronger than last year but us. We might be better financially but don't see it on the pitch. Like a top 4 challenge is already out the question and it's only the 1st month gone. Wort start in 100 years should be a big indicator.......
Just out of curiosity, how would you now rate last years summer window? Every team has gotten stronger than us this year? Allen and Sahin alone make us stronger than last year.

4 games into the season and we are already out of the top 4? Brilliant. Worst start in 100 years, nevermind who we play in the first 5 league games I guess.

rab

would love to know which 'valuable' players you think we've lost without replacing, as far as I can tell there's Andy Carroll who scored 4 league goals last year. Every other departure (bar perhaps Aquanonimous) was replaced with another player.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Seems a bit early to be rating new layers. Allen has already proved his worth and for me is an 8/10
Yesil has only player an hour for the U21's but looks a good prospect for only £1 mill. .Will take time to settle in though so I don't see him making much impression at 1st team level this season. So that's a 5
Assaidi has not yet played for us. U tube makes him look good value at £3 mill but as he has not played yet another 5
Sahin,s pedigree makes him look a great deal and could /should make an impression on the 1st team but the hour he has played so far proves nothing one way or the other. Should be worth a 6 though.
Borini has disappointed so far but is only 21and I think he will come good eventually but for £11 mill you would want pretty instant success so no more than a 6 at the moment.

Wathik_LFC

TIA Youth Team
Just out of curiosity, how would you now rate last years summer window? Every team has gotten stronger than us this year? Allen and Sahin alone make us stronger than last year.

4 games into the season and we are already out of the top 4? Brilliant. Worst start in 100 years, nevermind who we play in the first 5 league games I guess.
would love to know which 'valuable' players you think we've lost without replacing, as far as I can tell there's Andy Carroll who scored 4 league goals last year. Every other departure (bar perhaps Aquanonimous) was replaced with another player.

Fabio was for Kuyt. Aqua for sahin. Allan for Adam. What about maxi,Bellamy? On top of that you have Carrol who was just starting to show promise and we give him away on LOAN! We could have kept him till the last second. carrol,Bellamy and Maxi all played great together and would've strengthened the squad. Yet none were replaced. I havent seen Assadi so I can't tell if he'll replace Bellamy who had a big impact.

Let's not forget its strikers are ones who win games...carrol played great for west ham. He's already got more wins and he's injured. The point is he has that variable we need.

We played arsenal and city at home and came with 1 point. Brom and Sunderland are mid table lower end teams and came with 1 point. Not exactly that tough of a schedule to break a 100 year record and 3 were at home and we total just 2 points. If carrol was still with us we would be better off.

To me this window has set us back more than moving forward. Now we have to wait for new players to settle and are asking a lot of younger ones to step up.

We have no planB. We have no messi, our squad is so shallow. If suarez and/or sterling gets injured I'd fear relegation.

OhYaBeauty

Fabio was for Kuyt. Aqua for sahin. Allan for Adam. What about maxi,Bellamy? On top of that you have Carrol who was just starting to show promise and we give him away on LOAN! We could have kept him till the last second. carrol,Bellamy and Maxi all played great together and would've strengthened the squad. Yet none were replaced. I havent seen Assadi so I can't tell if he'll replace Bellamy who had a big impact.

Let's not forget its strikers are ones who win games...carrol played great for west ham. He's already got more wins and he's injured. The point is he has that variable we need.

We played arsenal and city at home and came with 1 point. Brom and Sunderland are mid table lower end teams and came with 1 point. Not exactly that tough of a schedule to break a 100 year record and 3 were at home and we total just 2 points. If carrol was still with us we would be better off.

To me this window has set us back more than moving forward. Now we have to wait for new players to settle and are asking a lot of younger ones to step up.

We have no planB. We have no messi, our squad is so shallow. If suarez and/or sterling gets injured I'd fear relegation.
It goes without saying we have no Messi... only one team actually does have one...

I think you'll have to look at this window as part of a two-part deal. Brendan is stamping his mark on the club. The first part, as we saw, was moving out players that didn't fit into his system and bringing a few key players that will be the bedrock of our first team for years to come.

Unfortunately, he couldn't get all the business done that he wanted in such a short time frame, but we shouldn't be surprised. It is natural for it to take a while for a manager to get the players he wants to his club and Rodgers is no different. Come January I expect we'll make some key signings that will make our team complete under BR's style.

One benefit that I can see of the transfer window (I'm clutching at straws here, I know) is that we will have to depend on youth. Previously, we've all complained about youth not being incorporated into the first team setup well enough. Given that we now have only two senior forwards, I expect we'll see a lot of our young players who, frankly, have limitless potential. Raheem Sterling will now get plenty of playing time to grow as a player, as will promising youngsters like Adam Morgan, Michael Ngoo, Samed Yesil, Suso, and forgotten man Dani Pacheco. When you look at those players, we do have a degree of cover for the first team forwards. Lets just hope they're up for the task.

On another, semi-personal note, it really bugs me when people can't be bothered to spell our team's players' names right. Allen*, Carroll*, and Assaidi*

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
Think I'd like to see a full Roger's team after a couple of transfers before I can really understand where he's at and where the team is at. I don't envy any manager that has to deal with 3 generation of manager's leftovers.

I prefer seeing us as starting all over again and reserving judgement. Too much angst. The last three years have been tumultuous and unstable.

Rodgers has had the guts to define how he wants the team to play. If that can be instituted throughout and everyone who comes to the club to play can play that system, our performances will improve in the long run. I really like our youth players, their development has looked like the best thing happening over that same tumultuous period.

Gears

TIA Regular
Our plan B is sheer pace. I'm not sure any one else picked up on this but Barcelona used to do this with Eto as their top striker to great effect.

Ibrahimovic was brought in to provide a different kind of plan B, which did not turn out that well despite his decent goal record.

In our case, suarez is playing the messi role and Borini is meant to play the Eto role and provide pace as a plan B.

All comparisons between us and barcelona are moot though, since the circumstances and expectations are different. The only thing in common is the coach's ideas on the style of football. We need our senior players to start performing, in order for the younger ones to make the transition smoothly.