• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Summer Transfer Window

How would you rate our summer transfer window?

• Total voters

OhYaBeauty

Our plan B is sheer pace. I'm not sure any one else picked up on this but Barcelona used to do this with Eto as their top striker to great effect.

Ibrahimovic was brought in to provide a different kind of plan B, which did not turn out that well despite his decent goal record.

In our case, suarez is playing the messi role and Borini is meant to play the Eto role and provide pace as a plan B.

All comparisons between us and barcelona are moot though, since the circumstances and expectations are different. The only thing in common is the coach's ideas on the style of football. We need our senior players to start performing, in order for the younger ones to make the transition smoothly.
Spain does this now. Plan A is passing the ball through the front six, while plan B uses the pace of Pedro, Torres, and Navas to beat teams

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Dunno how anyone can give this window an 8. What are we, Villa? On second thoughts, dont answer that

Six is pushing it but for the amateur accountants could see there was a lowering of the wage bill to a sustainable mid table level and a general lowering of the age, though in some ways thats through being forced to promote from within. Which may work out with one or two I guess. And I suppose we didnt lose any 40 games a season starters, looked a bit dodgy for that at one point. But my mark of 4 was because it was, in common with a lot of what I have seen in the last couple of years, half baked, undercooked, mishandled and like others I cant help feeling we needed someone who knew football who could have worked better with the manager and owners, perhaps sharing ideas on certain decisions like loaning out big Andy. Ayre was about as much use in this regard as a cat flap in an elephant house. Evans and Barrett have been largely saying what personally I had been thinking for about the last year and the penny might belatedly be dropping. Bit late for this season though I'm afraid

on the players could give an initial assessment and mark

Allen - 7.5 - a good buy within the framework of what he actually does, which is within a defined role, circulating and retaining possession and adding some calmness to the midfield, and there hes been very good. But hes not going to fire in screamers to win matches. Thats not his fault, he wasnt bought for that, and fully appreciate that reality

Sahin - 6 but will I think rise - considering he was as match fit as a saveloy, didnt think he was too bad against Arsenal and am pretty sure he will improve us when fit, up to a certain point. Though dont think hes a scorer as such. In time he should help give some oomph to our midfield and we can push Gerrard up

Borini - an early 5 - finding it a bit tough going, would ideally bring him in gradually but hes been chucked in the deep end. Doesnt look to be prolific though in time expect him to get better

Assaidi - 5 - because hes not featured. That mark could rise but as I said before have seen us make quite a few off the wall buys. remember Josemi, Doni, Ferri, Gonzalez, Diarra and innumerable others, who all seemed to end up buried under successive manager's patios. But in terms of ideas i.e. young, low wages, time to grow etc etc can see the logic, but remains to be seen if he follows the paths trodden before by other not too dissimilar squad purchases. In the here and now though hes not been available and we need that availability with Downing/Joe Cole continuing to offer sod all

I hope Yesil can develop quickly and would be thinking of promoting him to the EL squad and perhaps the bench for the league. No harm in giving him a few minutes here and there, he is seen as a future star in Germany after all and is older than Sterling

the additions themselves were, mostly, made with the right intentions, but it was the additions we failed to make which is the biggest and costliest black mark of the past summer in my view. Cart before the horse could describe the whole thing as a whole

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
I dunno. I don't see it as bad as many others. We shipped out another few players who were underwhelming, we're unfortunately still lumbered with several of them due to the sheer batarseness of their prices/contracts (Cole, Downing, Carroll). We brought in some cracking young players, Allen, I think Yesil will be a top talent, Sahin has massive potential when he gets match fit. We shipped out Adam and Spearing, and a few of the other aging lads.

The bottom line is that the last few days of the window colour everything, and there's no denying it was botched massively. I'm not saying that Dempsey was "the answer" but if the club had managed to bring in a decent goalscorer before the window shut, then I think we'd all be singing the praises of the club and the business done this summer. Instead, we're focused on the "cost cutting", as if somehow letting fringe players go who were top earners is the reason for our current woes. I give it a 6.5, but for shits and giggles, rounded it up to a 7.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
I dunno. I don't see it as bad as many others. We shipped out another few players who were underwhelming, we're unfortunately still lumbered with several of them due to the sheer batarseness of their prices/contracts (Cole, Downing, Carroll). We brought in some cracking young players, Allen, I think Yesil will be a top talent, Sahin has massive potential when he gets match fit. We shipped out Adam and Spearing, and a few of the other aging lads.

The bottom line is that the last few days of the window colour everything, and there's no denying it was botched massively. I'm not saying that Dempsey was "the answer" but if the club had managed to bring in a decent goalscorer before the window shut, then I think we'd all be singing the praises of the club and the business done this summer. Instead, we're focused on the "cost cutting", as if somehow letting fringe players go who were top earners is the reason for our current woes. I give it a 6.5, but for shits and giggles, rounded it up to a 7.
I was far from giggling on the final night!

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
I think it was a great transfer window (gave it a 7). We cleared out a lot of the deadwood and we brought in some promising, young players who are more than just a stop gap solution. I don't think we were close to challenging, so I'm not bothered if there needs to be some time for the squad to grow together, as I don't consider that a wasted year if we can get a few players to step up and learn on the pitch.

But the clincher (and I only gave it a 7 because it was unintentional), was that in one day we likely eliminated much of the "Liverpool Premium" when it comes to transfer prices.

That, I think, will benefit our club for years and years to come and was well worth not getting Dempsey for.

tooloom

TIA Youth Team
I rather generously gave it a 2.
Its been SO obvious we need a striker for the last 3 transfer windows
We waited until the last minute and (Ayre, it would seem) fucked up completely - (minus) several hundred points there alone.
We got an almost complete rework of the midfield and an admission that our 20 million winger might need to reskill as a left back ( I know where I'd leave the overpaid underperforming prat) and our 35 million CF didn't suit.The massively disappointing Joe Cole is only seen once a week with his wheelbarrow to collect his wages.
No effort was made ( at least not that we know about) to bring in a goalkeeper as backup/challenger for an increasingly dodgy looking Reina.
On the bright side, it looks like Joe Allen might be everything I thought Jordan Henderson was going to be and at least Commoli got the boot before he could bring el sulk back.

YNWA

redbill

TIA Squad Member
I gave it a 4.

If we had kept Carroll or bought a decent replacement, I would have given it a 7, may be a 8 even.

We didn't and I didn't.

lfc.8

Not a good transfer window for me, but then we're yet to have one with these owners.

January 2011 - Spending £35m on Carroll
Summer 2011 - Spending £44m on Downing, Henderson, Adam
January 2012 - No transfers
Summer 2012 - No striker, lack of options up front

It was apparent all last season we needed a proven goal scorer. Nothing was done in January and again this hasn't been addressed this Summer. 47 goals scored, no where near enough.

Players signed / loaned: Fabio Borini, Joe Allen, Oussama Assaidi, Nuri Sahin, Samed Yesil

Players sold / released / loaned: Dirk Kuyt, Maxi Rodríguez, Craig Bellamy, Alberto Aquilani, Charlie Adam, Fabio Aurelio, Andy Carroll, Jay Spearing

It's very clear we need to get back into the Champions League. And with that considered, not enough was done. We'll do extremely well to make it. Only two recognised forwards in the squad is pathetic. Complete lack of options upfront and no striker / proven goal scorer signed. Again letting Carroll go out on loan with no replacement is purely idiotic. Not impressed.

We're also playing in the Europa league this season, so more games, more players required.

We may look and say we've spent roughly £28m with a few sales coming in, but then we've also balanced this to some degree with high earners being either let go or out on loan. We really haven't spent that large. What's it going to be like when we're redeveloping the stadium? Interesting times ahead.

We need an injection of money on a couple of proven players. Otherwise we'll roll from season to season trying to bridge the gap to the top 4.

I voted 3. No proven goal scorer signed. Lack of depth in the squad. Not enough was done to put us in a position to compete for and make the top 4.

OhYaBeauty

A lot of people don't get that there was work done in the past two windows that wasn't bringing players in or shipping them out. We haven't overpaid on talent since the CHAD debacle and that has made other clubs realize they can't tack on an extra 5 million pounds to a player's price tag just because LFC are interested. We didn't overpay for talent this window and that will set us up to make better buys in the future.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I gave it a 4.

If we had kept Carroll or bought a decent replacement, I would have given it a 7, may be a 8 even.

We didn't and I didn't.
Andy Carroll got injured the very first game he played for West Ham on a pretty inconspicuous play so it could be said that his hamstring could very much have went if he stayed with us and we would be in the exact same postion we are in. I've never seen a huge cry out for a forward who scored 4 goals last season was it?

Colin

TIA First Team
Andy Carroll got injured the very first game he played for West Ham on a pretty inconspicuous play so it could be said that his hamstring could very much have went if he stayed with us and we would be in the exact same postion we are in. I've never seen a huge cry out for a forward who scored 4 goals last season was it?
Well, maybe you'll realise how badly we needed a CF then?

My goldfish could have told us that back in May.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Well, maybe you'll realise how badly we needed a CF then?

My goldfish could have told us that back in May.
Rodgers' system dosen't need center forwards, you saw that first hand what happend to perhaps one of the best in the the world with Zlatan at Barca. He did pretty well there, but it was liking trying on you're left boot for you're right foot.

Which player are you upset with that Liverpool didn't get that was available to replace Andy with, Clint Dempsey?

Andy Carroll getting injured at West Ham is not very predictive of whether he would have got injured for us. Also he scored 9 goals for us last season- which is still 9 better than the 0 he will score for us this season.

But that's besides the point anyway because most people would not have been complaining about us getting rid of Carroll (even though personally I think a loan is an utterly stupid idea) had we been able to get another forward as a replacement. But low and behold we didn't and thus the frustrations.

The fact that not only did we prematurely get rid of Carroll without having a replacement confirmed but that we are actually left this season with a forward line up consisting of less depth than last season when it should have been our Number 1 priority is very disappointing to say the least. And going by the first few games and our inability to break down opposition defences it is only making us look all the more amateurish.

Red Armada

TIA Regular

Thing is that it wasn't just fringe players, was it ?
Kuyt, Rodriguez, Bellamy and Carroll left and their replacements are 21 year old Borini and 17 year old Yesil.
I was expecting at least 2 players to arrive in the end of the window not just one. Instead of that we got no one. I still have a hard time believing it.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
We replaced experience with talent in our squad, we reinvented our midfield, yet again. But still haven't solved our scoring problems, which our results clearly shows. Does that sum it up.

Guess we do have to wait a few years to reap what we have sow. I'm just sick of waiting tho.
One class striker could solve a lot, hope we finally get one in the next transfer window.

redbill

TIA Squad Member
Hence my point about ' a decent replacement'. But by all means ignore that, twist things to suit your agenda.

Player injuries are as unpredictable as they are unavoidable. I am sure it was not part of Rodgers' cunning plan that Andy should be injured when the loan was signed, after all not all people are blessed with your foresight.

Or is it hindsight?

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Hence my point about ' a decent replacement'. But by all means ignore that, twist things to suit your agenda.

Player injuries are as unpredictable as they are unavoidable. I am sure it was not part of Rodgers' cunning plan that Andy should be injured when the loan was signed, after all not all people are blessed with your foresight.

Or is it hindsight?
I never said it was Rodgers cunning plan to know Carroll would get injured, just we would be in the same spot more than likely. He injured his hamstring jumping for a ball, not like some player tackled him. To be clear, the cry out is that we didn't get Clint Dempsey to replace him, right?

redbill

TIA Squad Member
Rodgers' system dosen't need center forwards, you saw that first hand what happend to perhaps one of the best in the the world with Zlatan at Barca. He did pretty well there, but it was liking trying on you're left boot for you're right foot.

Which player are you upset with that Liverpool didn't get that was available to replace Andy with, Clint Dempsey?
We are Swansea?

Damn, so I got it wrong all these years!

No?

Wait, we must be Barca then? Ah that feels nice. Tiki taka baby! That feels nice.

That must be it. We are Barca, we have Messi Xavi Iniesta - see? Now the best midfield in the world song makes sense!

We are Barca.

And we play the 'Rodgers System'. :rolleyes:

(I swear the next time I hear these Barca comparisons I am going to bang my head on the wall till I bleed)

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
We are Swansea?

Damn, so I got it wrong all these years!

No?

Wait, we must be Barca then? Ah that feels nice. Tiki taka baby! That feels nice.

That must be it. We are Barca, we have Messi Xavi Iniesta - see? Now the best midfield in the world song makes sense!

We are Barca.

And we play the 'Rodgers System'. :rolleyes:

(I swear the next time I hear these Barca comparisons I am going to bang my head on the wall till I bleed)
You make a great point. We are West Ham actually and play hoof ball. Great insight to your post.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Thing is that it wasn't just fringe players, was it ?
Well, yeah it was...

Aurelio, Kuyt, and Maxi were very much reduced role players last year. Kuyt and Maxi were also on the receiving end of Kenny's ire (it seemed, considering their repeated dropping from the squad) and both players wanted a move away. Bellamy, after a strong start, saw his knees catch up to him and saw him featuring more as an occasional sub. (Spearing and Adam featured more - primarily through injury to Lucas, and the notion of playing Henderson on the right - but were "Kenny" type players, and have been replaced by Allen and Sahin.)

Carroll was a head scratcher, from start to finish. Shouldn't have signed him in the first place, but we did. We then inexplicably would play him sparingly even when he did get his fitness back. Started finding his feet towards the end of last season, but even then wasn't really demonstrating that he was a top class striker, just a younger version of Grant Holt (who outscored him handily last year). There's no denying that there was a massive cock up at Melwood though, with letting him go and not bringing in a replacement. Either we were far too arrogant about landing Dempsey, or the ball was dropped along the way somewhere, but letting Carroll leave BEFORE someone else came in was stupidity of the highest order. (Personally point the finger at Ayre for this, who seems to have gone to the same training programme as Parry and Purslow in terms of stupidity in the transfer market)

redbill

TIA Squad Member
I never said it was Rodgers cunning plan to know Carroll would get injured, just we would be in the same spot more than likely. He injured his hamstring jumping for a ball, not like some player tackled him. To be clear, the cry out is that we didn't get Clint Dempsey to replace him, right?
There is no cry out. Some of us are, however trying to debate that letting Carroll go on loan BEFORE securing a replacement was, in Rodgers' own words ' an act of lunacy'.

The replacement could or could not have been Dempsey. Under the circumstances, a Clint Dempsey would be very handy indeed, but so would any other possible replacement for Andy Carroll.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
There is no cry out. Some of us are, however trying to debate that letting Carroll go on loan BEFORE securing a replacement was, in Rodgers' own words ' an act of lunacy'.

The replacement could or could not have been Dempsey. Under the circumstances, a Clint Dempsey would be very handy indeed, but so would any other possible replacement for Andy Carroll.
Could that be Yesil or are we just going to dismiss right off the bat?

redbill

TIA Squad Member
You make a great point. We are West Ham actually and play hoof ball. Great insight to your post.
There is no insight. Not your kind anyway. We are Liverpool, not Barcelona or any other team. Just because Barca can function without a striker does not mean that we can. It is amusing how the inevitable example for the 'Rodgers' System' is almost always Barcelona. You need to climb down a few notches. We are not them. We are not in the same planet as them. And to my knowledge Rodgers' had a definite CF position in his Swansea system.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
There is no insight. Not your kind anyway. We are Liverpool, not Barcelona or any other team. Just because Barca can function without a striker does not mean that we can. It is amusing how the inevitable example for the 'Rodgers' System' is almost always Barcelona. You need to climb down a few notches. We are not them. We are not in the same planet as them. And to my knowledge Rodgers' had a definite CF position in his Swansea system.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
I don't need to correct you at all. If you think Andy fits into what Rodgers wants from his front 3 than that's your opinion. Suarez and Sterling have 2 of the 3 locked up. I think Borini will be OK. The only player that moved to a different club at deadline was Dempsey and I don't think he was the answer. If players like Sturridge actually changed teams then I would be more angry losing out.

redbill

TIA Squad Member
Could that be Yesil or are we just going to dismiss right off the bat?
Mate, as highly rated as Yesil is, he is still a kid. Now he may surprise us, and I am sure all of us will be glad if he does. But how do you debate the fact that we are left with two recognized strikers? One of them is 21 and while encouraging, might need more time to adapt. The other is still looking for his scoring boots.

Yesil might be fast tracked, and yes, he looks a rippling prospect. Say he does well, starts against Young Boys and bangs in a couple. Do we play him in the league and risk burning him out?

Sorry, I do not quite see your side of the argument.

redbill

TIA Squad Member
I don't need to correct you at all. If you think Andy fits into what Rodgers wants from his front 3 than that's your opinion. Suarez and Sterling have 2 of the 3 locked up. I think Borini will be OK. The only player that moved to a different club at deadline was Dempsey and I don't think he was the answer. If players like Sturridge actually changed teams then I would be more angry losing out.
I fear that our side of the debate is escaping you. No one is saying that Andy would have been first choice for BR. But the moment we let him go without replacing him, we lost an option, a squad member, a plan B. It does not matter whether you think Dempsey would have been a good signing. The manager, from all accounts, wanted him.

Loaning Andy Carroll has not soured the window for us. Not replacing him has.

I cannot put it more clearly than this.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
I fear that our side of the debate is escaping you. No one is saying that Andy would have been first choice for BR. But the moment we let him go without replacing him, we lost an option, a squad member, a plan B. It does not matter whether you think Dempsey would have been a good signing. The manager, from all accounts, wanted him.

Loaning Andy Carroll has not soured the window for us. Not replacing him has.

I cannot put it more clearly than this.
Player for player we did not replace Carroll, I get that part. I'm not pissed about that though. It's not like we didn't end up replacing a player who scored goals for us at any point of time on a consistent level. And to think all of a sudden as a plan B Andy would start scoring goals is a big leap of faith.

redbill

TIA Squad Member
Player for player we did not replace Carroll, I get that part. I'm not pissed about that though. It's not like we didn't end up replacing a player who scored goals for us at any point of time on a consistent level. And to think all of a sudden as a plan B Andy would start scoring goals is a big leap of faith.
You do however realize that Andy or his replacement,and we are not talking about a like for like replacement, could have given Luis some cover. At least an option? A change of play?

We are running the risk of derailing the thread. Best if we agree to disagree and keep it at that.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
You do however realize that Andy or his replacement,and we are not talking about a like for like replacement, could have given Luis some cover. At least an option? A change of play?

We are running the risk of derailing the thread. Best if we agree to disagree and keep it at that.
I do realize that, but I think the point you are missing is who besides Dempsey was available to do that? Guys like Sturridge, Walcott, Huntlear etc were not available as they did not change teams. We could make a move for the sake of making a move and if you think Dempsey would fire us to glory then fine. We are on a budget and are not going to have players like Dzeko come off our bench any time soon as cover or anything like that. If Suarez goes down we would be just as screwed as we would be if we kept Carroll or got Dempsey in his place.