• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Summer Transfer Window

How would you rate our summer transfer window?

• Total voters

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
I never said it was Rodgers cunning plan to know Carroll would get injured, just we would be in the same spot more than likely. He injured his hamstring jumping for a ball, not like some player tackled him. To be clear, the cry out is that we didn't get Clint Dempsey to replace him, right?
No, the concern is that we didn't get anyone...simples!

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
No, the concern is that we didn't get anyone...simples!
Hugo, which forward/striker player did you want that was available that we didn't get? Or did you just want us to make a move for the sake of making a move. I don't think Dempsey is the answer to our problems and very happy we did not budge on our price for him.

KingLuis7

TIA Youth Team
I don't feel like we lost out on Dempsey at the moment - we just lost out on bringing in any form of goal threat.

Think Sigurdsson will be the player we will really regret missing out on by season's end.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
On second thought I would boost my rating one point for securing new deals for Suarez and Skrtel. Can't gloss over that. And not cashing in on Agger, though I wonder whether Agger's obvious lack of interest in the move is what botched it rather than FSG not wanting to sell. Still no new contract, though, and I wonder if Werner isn't trying to find Tito Vilanova's phone #...

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Hugo, which forward/striker player did you want that was available that we didn't get? Or did you just want us to make a move for the sake of making a move. I don't think Dempsey is the answer to our problems and very happy we did not budge on our price for him.
Quite frankly I don't know that I would have been really concerned at who we got,as long as he knew where the back of the net was.
Agree that Dempsey wasn't the answer, he was never my ideal.
If we can dream there are plenty I'd have like to see us in for,their names have been around these pages for months.
Even after the window closed Del Pietro(or whatever) could have done a job for us.
As it is the same bogey as last season still is with us and it was NOT addressed,I think that is bloody crazy.
Carroll seemed to be improving and the other 3 we let go could all chime in with a goal or three.
That is what I'm pissed off about.
I think we approached the window with an eye on the hip pocket nerve and as a result didn't go in for what we really needed.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
If shit happens, someone's head has to roll. It always start from the top. If the owners can be sacked, I think the fans would have called for their resignation letter right this minute.
nah... I don't think I agree with this. If Ian Ayre is doing well overall with a few intermittent mistakes then it should be about how to prevent those mistakes in the future; perhaps with a shift of certain responsibilities. The solution COULD be to fire him but it "might" not be.

Nobody expected Ayre to be a seasoned Managing Director right off the bat. He just doesn't have the experience yet. Let the people who know what is going on, make the decisions.

No doubt Ayre should be worried about the strength of his position and watched closely to avoid future similar mistakes. But people learn from mistakes and the owners might see potential in him.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I gave it a 6. Looked like it was gonna be a terrific window but our failure to bring in a replacement for Carroll was disastrous.

We moved on alot of sub-standard players- Spearing, Adam, Carroll and increasingly ineffective ageing players on high wages such as Aurelio, Kuyt, Maxi and Aquilani and Bellars, though it would have been good to have kept him for another season.

Assaidi and Yesil look promising with enormous potential, Borini may end up being effective and Sahin and Allen are undoubted class.

The biggest disappointment was the failure to bring in another attacker and the deadline day feeling when a striker wasn't brought in was a bitter pill to swallow. At least Henry knows we are all upset about it and will hopefully make it up to us in January with a big signing.

Roll on January.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
You've said several times your happy we didn't budge on the price for Dempsey but you can see yourself how thin we are up front, what exactly was the alternative solution you had in mind given the constraints we face at the moment. We aren't going to spend on the Cavani type of player so exactly what is the alternative your suggesting or are you happy to have two strikers one of which is 21 and arrived this summer and is yet to score a Prem goal. One injury and we are in serious trouble so I fail to understand what point your trying to make.

Dempsey may not have been the answer but he would have been a viable option, he has a proven goal scoring record at this level and was available for a reasonable price. The alternative turned out to be nobody at all, not sure how you can be happy we didn't budge on the price and in turn failed to sign him.

Is it really worth not spending a million or two more than we hoped on a forward and leaving the team dangerously low on options just so we can say we didn't overspend? For mine Dempsey at 6 million was excellent business, tell me another available option that could have been had for that price that has the scoring record that Dempsey has and was actually willing to come to us?

1dragon

TIA Regular
Hugo, which forward/striker player did you want that was available that we didn't get?
Javier Saviola - Free (from Benfica, now at Malaga)
Florent Sinama Pongolle - Free (now at Rostock)
Pavel Progrebnyak - Free (now at Reading)
O.Martins - Free (from Rubin to Levante)

Three of them, on top of many others who went for small fees. Granted, Progrebnyak was acquired earlier in the transfer window, I still felt we could have done with some forward planning, especially as Rodgers seem so eager to ship Carroll off before he even started playing.

Edit: Missed out on Martins, ex newcastle striker.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The issue is no longer one of being happy with the striker, it is a simple matter of number of bodies. If Suarez or Borini go down while we are trying to sustain competition in the PL and any one or more of the EL and the cups, we are going to be all but compelled to abandon those competitions simply because we will need to rest the other PL forwards. In early stage cup matches, I think we could even have benefited from a journeymen Championship striker, in order to allow some younger players at other positions to get some experience. The squad as it is now is horribly unbalanced unless some unproven players really step up.

kylel39

Never bite the hand that feed's you.......Luis
I gave it an 8....maybe I have completely lost the plot. Now I've got to justify an 8....shite.

Anyway, I think although we had the massive let down at the end of the transfer window with the Andy Carroll saga....oh fuck it, it was definitely a 6....what was I thinking?

kylel39

Never bite the hand that feed's you.......Luis
But in all seriousness (still probably a 6), although we had the massive let down at the close of the window, overall I would say it was a pretty successful one.

- We managed to retain our best players when it seems there was certainly concrete interest in taking them off our hands - Agger+Skrtel.

- We've signed one of the most talented young players in British football in Joe Allen - looks like a classy classy act and is set to have a massive future for sure.

- Not strictly transfer window related but we've unearthed (properly) a massive talent in British/World football that is Raheem Sterling. I'm only putting this in here as it would have been easy to send him out on loan when really as we've all seen he;s very much ready for our first team.

- It's a little early to draw conclusions on Borini who has effectively been played out of position for the majority of his appearances. Think he'll turn out to be another good signing and can see his future lying as CF.

- Assaidi, well it's a bit unfair to judge on because we haven't seen him play a game yet...hopefully tonight. But in terms of value etc I don't think we can go wrong for what we paid.

- Picking up Yesil for £1 million regardless of a buy back clause etc is an absolute steal and hats off to whoever manufactured that move.

- Sahin on loan, again excellent business and he'll prove his worth throughout the season I'm sure.

- Then of course we did what we had to do, regardless of how much the owners spent/they're shite etc etc. We needed to reduce the wage bill significantly and we did - approximately (touted) saving £25+ million per year. The way we went about it I'm sure could have been handled better and there are still players here who I'm sure we wish weren't.

- As we all know the biggest downfall was the lack of spend or not even that but the lack of replacements....in particular Carroll. I'm not going to go over old ground as I'm sure it's been done to death. But I'm also sure had the FSG went out and spent say £20 million on a replacement striker these marks would be a lot higher and the window would have been near perfect.

Colin

TIA First Team
Despite my already outlined reseverations about the window etc.

I would say this:

- There very few,squad players I want to leave anymore. Most of the dross is gone. (Downing, Cole perhaps)
- Because of this, despite lowered expectations due to our overall squad weakness, I'm more interested in every LFC match than ever.
- A match like tonight we're going to get to see Yesil. Hopefully players like Coates etc get a chance. Henderson plays along with Sahin i hope - these matches could be Hendo's only chance. It's all very interesting.

Beforehand, i just felt like we had a bunch of run of the mill players taking up the space. Spearing for instance, playing in a game like tonight would mean nothing to me. I know he's not good enough already. Adam in the first team would be another. Downing playing regular first team footbal, too. No excitement for the future - it was all very stale and flat and dare i say it....mediocre without promise.

The way BR has cut things down, however, gives us the chance to be promising. Young squad but with players like Sterling, Shevley, Borini, Allen, Yesil etc etc

That is why i'll enjoy watching the match tonight. For the first time in ages I can watch the second 11 and watch them with great interest because i can see the connection between them and the first 11. In the past few years our second 11 was just a bunch of even more average players than the first lot (sorry but it's true if you look at it) , which was hardly exciting to watch.

Anyone agree with me?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Despite my already outlined reseverations about the window etc.

I would say this:

- There very few,squad players I want to leave anymore. Most of the dross is gone. (Downing, Cole perhaps)
- Because of this, despite lowered expectations due to our overall squad weakness, I'm more interested in every LFC match than ever.
- A match like tonight we're going to get to see Yesil. Hopefully players like Coates etc get a chance. Henderson plays along with Sahin i hope - these matches could be Hendo's only chance. It's all very interesting.

Beforehand, i just felt like we had a bunch of run of the mill players taking up the space. Spearing for instance, playing in a game like tonight would mean nothing to me. I know he's not good enough already. Adam in the first team would be another. Downing playing regular first team footbal, too. No excitement for the future - it was all very stale and flat and dare i say it....mediocre without promise.

The way BR has cut things down, however, gives us the chance to be promising. Young squad but with players like Sterling, Shevley, Borini, Allen, Yesil etc etc

That is why i'll enjoy watching the match tonight. For the first time in ages I can watch the second 11 and watch them with great interest because i can see the connection between them and the first 11. In the past few years our second 11 was just a bunch of even more average players than the first lot (sorry but it's true if you look at it) , which was hardly exciting to watch.

Anyone agree with me?
Yeah, i agree totally. To see some of the youngsters and new signings like Suso, Yesil , Sahin and Assaidi in action and to see how they are developing is definately more appealing than it is to see established, experienced players that are simply sub-standard and clearly not part of the future. Makes for a much more interesting watch.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
yep.

i understand your angle completely.

watching pacheco, suso and or yesil will be much more intriguing than watching voronin degen cole jovanovic --the list is endless---

if our debacle on deadline day has a silver lining its the very fact above.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
You've said several times your happy we didn't budge on the price for Dempsey but you can see yourself how thin we are up front, what exactly was the alternative solution you had in mind given the constraints we face at the moment. We aren't going to spend on the Cavani type of player so exactly what is the alternative your suggesting or are you happy to have two strikers one of which is 21 and arrived this summer and is yet to score a Prem goal. One injury and we are in serious trouble so I fail to understand what point your trying to make.

Dempsey may not have been the answer but he would have been a viable option, he has a proven goal scoring record at this level and was available for a reasonable price. The alternative turned out to be nobody at all, not sure how you can be happy we didn't budge on the price and in turn failed to sign him.

Is it really worth not spending a million or two more than we hoped on a forward and leaving the team dangerously low on options just so we can say we didn't overspend? For mine Dempsey at 6 million was excellent business, tell me another available option that could have been had for that price that has the scoring record that Dempsey has and was actually willing to come to us?
This summer window we were the 5th highest in net spent. If anybody thought we were going to be first or second than I'm afraid they will be waiting for that for some time. We all wanted an established goal scoring forward to be brought in. However, unless we were going to sell off Agger, that would require almost all of our funds for one player. And that's assuming that a player of that quality what come here in the first place. I don't care or not whether the people who think getting a trophy (Carling Cup) is better than getting 4th would agree, but we are not in the best postion to attract those types of players at the current moment.

As far as the Carroll saga goes, Brendan Rodgers himself said it was a mistake to let him go without somebody else coming in. So I'm not going to say it wasn't a mistake. All I'm saying is that Carroll probably would not have done so well here and probably would have done well with West Ham had he stayed healthy. We could always recall him back in January, but I don't see the point. I like Andy, but for whatever reason(s) it just isn't going to work out for him here and probably never should have been bought in the first place.

I see what you're saying for Dempsey. At this point in time the principal of not breaking over our evaluation of the player is more important than spending 1 or 2 exta million for him. We have to let in known to everybody out there that we are no longer going to be a push over in the transfer market. That goes for Demspey's fee or Sigs wages. Breaking and giving in to what Fulham wanted is exactly how we got into this mess in the first place by over paying for CHAD. And on top of that, for me he's not the answer to our problems and does not fit in age wise to what Rodgers and FSG want going forward. Lets see how many goals he scores for Spurs.

I think we could be OK until the January window opens. And not geting a forward now will put more pressure in January to get that done. The apology letter by FSG shows that. There are more top atacking players who contract is winding down than normal that can be available in January. Lets see what happens. I would rather wait and get a player of Liverpool quality in January than making a move for the sake of getting a body to replace Carroll in the summer.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I see what you're saying for Dempsey. At this point in time the principal of not breaking over our evaluation of the player is more important than spending 1 or 2 exta million for him. We have to let in known to everybody out there that we are no longer going to be a push over in the transfer market.
I struggle to be convinced that the principal was indeed more important than spending 1-2 extra million, particularly if there was indeed a breakdown between FSG-Ayre-Rodgers that Rodgers was not responsible. Acting in unison and supporting the manager are also important principals. As it is, Rodgers is actually now below the likely budget but with a very poorly balanced squad that is extremely vulnerable to wasting development opportunities in the lesser competitions.

I think we could be OK until the January window opens. And not geting a forward now will put more pressure in January to get that done. The apology letter by FSG shows that.
That was not an apology letter. Not sure that it should have been, but it wasn't. I doubt the budget will change one iota because of sentiment.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
I see what you're saying for Dempsey. At this point in time the principal of not breaking over our evaluation of the player is more important than spending 1 or 2 exta million for him. We have to let in known to everybody out there that we are no longer going to be a push over in the transfer market. That goes for Demspey's fee or Sigs wages. Breaking and giving in to what Fulham wanted is exactly how we got into this mess in the first place by over paying for CHAD. And on top of that, for me he's not the answer to our problems and does not fit in age wise to what Rodgers and FSG want going forward. Lets see how many goals he scores for Spurs.

I think we could be OK until the January window opens. And not geting a forward now will put more pressure in January to get that done. The apology letter by FSG shows that. There are more top atacking players who contract is winding down than normal that can be available in January. Lets see what happens. I would rather wait and get a player of Liverpool quality in January than making a move for the sake of getting a body to replace Carroll in the summer.

Have to disagree, paying 6 mil for Dempsey is for mine a reasonable price for a player of his ilk, cannot think of one other player with his scoring record who was available for that money let alone who was prepared to sign for us. Tottenham where happy to pay the 6 Fulham wanted and I haven't seen an overwhelming response to indicate they overpaid for him. For mine it's just same old same old, we miss a player and then make excuses about how he wasn't that good or whatever makes us feel better about missing out on a quality player yet again.

As for not overpaying, do you honestly think come January we won't have to overpay for players, the summer window was one of the most reasonable in terms of fees for the last few years. History shows us that prices are always inflated in January when clubs are making desperate moves to strenghten so we cannot expect value there either and come January if FSG don't spend on players for the sake of a few million what then we play a full season with 2 forwards? Will your attitude be the same then?

And I don't think Dempsey can be classed as making a move for the sake of it, he is a quality player, certainly a player Brendan wanted with an impressive record at the League and International levels so he isn't just a body to replace Carroll infact he would be starting in place of Borini I dare say. Bottom line having only two senior strikers in the first team, and it's one really given Borini has been on the scene for all of 5 mins, is an uneccessary risk that we didn't have to take and indefensable in my eyes. This obsession people have with overspending is ridiculous, yes we overspent on players but we shouldn't be putting our efforts to change that perception infront of onfield success ever end of story.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Have to disagree, paying 6 mil for Dempsey is for mine a reasonable price for a player of his ilk, cannot think of one other player with his scoring record who was available for that money let alone who was prepared to sign for us. Tottenham where happy to pay the 6 Fulham wanted and I haven't seen an overwhelming response to indicate they overpaid for him. For mine it's just same old same old, we miss a player and then make excuses about how he wasn't that good or whatever makes us feel better about missing out on a quality player yet again.

As for not overpaying, do you honestly think come January we won't have to overpay for players, the summer window was one of the most reasonable in terms of fees for the last few years. History shows us that prices are always inflated in January when clubs are making desperate moves to strenghten so we cannot expect value there either and come January if FSG don't spend on players for the sake of a few million what then we play a full season with 2 forwards? Will your attitude be the same then?

And I don't think Dempsey can be classed as making a move for the sake of it, he is a quality player, certainly a player Brendan wanted with an impressive record at the League and International levels so he isn't just a body to replace Carroll infact he would be starting in place of Borini I dare say. Bottom line having only two senior strikers in the first team, and it's one really given Borini has been on the scene for all of 5 mins, is an uneccessary risk that we didn't have to take and indefensable in my eyes. This obsession people have with overspending is ridiculous, yes we overspent on players but we shouldn't be putting our efforts to change that perception infront of onfield success ever end of story.
Like I said, more quality players have their contracts winding down in January than I would say is normal. Now they can all agree new contracts between now and then and that would throw that angle out the window. I posted this in the transfer thread and have no problem if we were to get Ba for his buyout at 7 million. Ba at 7 is much better than Dempsey at 6. That's just my opinion. This summer the transfer market besides a few teams was not all that active. I think January will be busy.

As far as Dempsey, If he scores bags of goals for Spurs I will admit that I was wrong. Let's just see how well he does for Spurs before we start to think the sky is falling because we missed out on him for whatever the reason.

redbj

contracts winding down = higher wages = fsg not interested, my head just spins.

value is the buzzword apparently, and it doesnt matter which way we try and spin it, value is not forthcoming in jan.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Red, having gambled on getting value in the last window, and it backfiring horribly, I think FSG know they have no option.

The best way to wring whatever value they can is to put loads of feelers out and cast a very wide net. Let it be known that we're not afraid to walk away from bad deals. But even having said that, I think it's inevititable we're going to get a bit fleeced. That's just the price of gambling and losing.

redbj

what happens if we miss out in jan though, keeping this 'not afraid to walk away' mantra.

i mean ultimately, we'll just end up shoppingat clubs that are forced to sell, which must, must, must narrow the feild enourmously.

Colin

TIA First Team
You're completely right.

Even if Dempsey turns to absolute shit for Spurs, on paper he was a very good buy and certainly one we screwed up royally. There HAS to be a level of pragmatism used by any business when they are pursuing something they want - sometimes they have to compromise to force a deal through. I've seen Fergie do it multiple times with Utd. We wanted Dempsey all summer, he was one of our main targets. The fact we didn't get him makes us FAR WORSE than we would for having overpaid for him (not that we would have been). Any club that fancies itself to be the stature of LFC can't secure a 6million signing in the context that we did would and should be fucking embarrassed.

Secondly, your point about January - you're absolutely right - if we are to get a good player or two then we'll likely end up overpaying anyway. Which makes it all even more cringeworthy and indicative that someone up there doesn't have a baldy what they are doing.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Like I said, more quality players have their contracts winding down in January than I would say is normal. Now they can all agree new contracts between now and then and that would throw that angle out the window. I posted this in the transfer thread and have no problem if we were to get Ba for his buyout at 7 million. Ba at 7 is much better than Dempsey at 6. That's just my opinion. This summer the transfer market besides a few teams was not all that active. I think January will be busy.

As far as Dempsey, If he scores bags of goals for Spurs I will admit that I was wrong. Let's just see how well he does for Spurs before we start to think the sky is falling because we missed out on him for whatever the reason.
Ba is 27, scored less goals than Dempsey last season and has dodgy knees which could explode at any point in time and he is the value we are looking for is he? Let alone his African Cup of Nations duties with Senegal that see him away for a month at a time.

And regardless of how Dempsey performs at Spurs we still screwed the pooch, you can't make a direct comparison with his performance there compared to with us because he is surrounded by different players with a different manager in a squad that has depth and is brimming with talent. Dempsey may not get many games at Spurs at all who knows. I dare say he would have been one of the first names on the sheet for us tho again who knows the ship has sailed and we will never know how effective he could have been for us.

What we do know is that he was available for 6 or so mil, he scores goals, he wanted to come to Liverpool and rather than passing on him and going for another option we chose to sign nobody for the sake of appearing to be tough at the transfer table. The reality is we made Brendan look like a muppet because he more or less said he would be crazy to let AC go without a replacement sorted and gave him a poorly balanced squad to compete in four competitions in his first season at a new club with massive expectations. And we as a club look like the muppets who couldn't cough up a couple of mil extra to ensure we weren't left short for the season. Effectively putting finances infront of onfield success and that couldn't scream midtable mediocrity any louder could it.

People talk about Dempsey like we where spending 20mil to get him. It was 6 mil a measly two mil over our offer and money we would easily have got back probably as soon as his first 12 months in jersey sales and marketing opportunities in the US alone.

You're completely right.

Even if Dempsey turns to absolute shit for Spurs, on paper he was a very good buy and certainly one we screwed up royally. There HAS to be a level of pragmatism used by any business when they are pursuing something they want - sometimes they have to compromise to force a deal through. I've seen Fergie do it multiple times with Utd. We wanted Dempsey all summer, he was one of our main targets. The fact we didn't get him makes us FAR WORSE than we would for having overpaid for him (not that we would have been). Any club that fancies itself to be the stature of LFC can't secure a 6million signing in the context that we did would and should be fucking embarrassed.

Secondly, your point about January - you're absolutely right - if we are to get a good player or two then we'll likely end up overpaying anyway. Which makes it all even more cringeworthy and indicative that someone up there doesn't have a baldy what they are doing.
Couldn't agree more, sometimes you pay over the odds for a player sometimes you get a bargain, in the long run a good management team will have the nous to understand when you can play it tough and hold out for value and when the needs of the squad and our ability to compete on the park overrides that need. If Dempsey was a luxury player we could have lived without then by all means play it tough, if we miss him then so be it but he wasn't we where and are dangerously short of options and somebody upstairs should have had the understanding that we couldn't afford to miss out on signing a forward even if it meant going over budget by a whole 2 mil.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
I voted 5 overall.

There are some promising new players who have come in:

Allen 7
Borini 6.5
Assaidi 6
Sahin 7.5
Yesin: 6

This compensates a bit for an otherwise disappointing transfer window:

No new left back: 3
Letting Carroll go without a replacement: 1
Apart from Assaidi, no new winger to compensate for Bellamy's, Maxi's and Kuyt's departures, although Borini has been played on the left so far: 2

So, between some good signings (especially Allen and Sahin), and some dismal events or non-events, I think a 5 would be about fair...
I would have to agree, I went with a 4 and to add to the above would say the reason I have given the Summer a 4 is I have also taken into account the way the club conducted it's self over the Summer, While there have been some plus there has been far to many negatives, The biggest being that we put in an inexperanced manager with know one to support him and give him some guidence. I just hope that come the Winter Window we learn from all the lessons of the last few Transfer windows and don't buy in panic.