• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Super Cup, Charity Shield and Club World Cup

Claymenza

The super cup and charity shield would be decent preparation to see how our second string team stacks up.
As for the club world cup, I'm with the sentiment that we should go for it since we've never won it.

I'd rather win that than the fa or league cup.
The EPL remains the top priority though, we've never had such a strong team.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
If Mignolet and Lovren leave in this summer window, and with Studge gone as well, I do hope Jürgen gets in a few replacements before the new season starts. We are going to be playing sixty plus games this coming season and need a strong squad to battle on all fronts.

richieh10

We need a
Gk
Lb
Striker

As is.... and the thing about it we have to attract quality in those positions who are going to be content to sit on the bench by still do a job when they come in.

I don’t think we’ll sign a striker as Brewster will replace Sturridge. We need a lb and my thoughts are go for a younger player in this case who isn’t going to cost the earth. I think there is a worth to keeping Migs however if we lose him then I’d like to see Grabara given a go as number 2.

There is also the possibility departures of Lovren and Lallana

Personally I didn’t think we need any more departures.

We keep Lovren and Lallana and keep wilson!

Our squad without signings based on the players i’m Expecting to stay will be

Alisson
Kellerher
Grabara

We need a goal keeper to replace Migs

TAA
Hoever
Gomez
VVD
Matip
Lovren
Robbo

We need a LB to replace Moreno, think Hoever should deputise for TAA / Gomez if need be, cant see us signing another CB unless we sell Lovren

Hendo
Milner
Ox
Gini
Fabinho
Lallana
Wilson
Shaq
Jones

9 players for 3 positions in the ‘norm’ set up jones may well go out on loan and of course Wilson and Shaq and possibly Lallana can play further forward and give options as wider players (see these as cover for Salah or Mane rather than Bobby)

Salah
Bobby
Mane
Origi
Brewster

I think what we have here is a front 3 that is pretty much fixed and 2 Solid back up players who can Cover Bobby and is need be wide positions too.... although as I’ve mentioned Shaq and Lallana COULD fill in there.

Be interesting to see what does happen although I’d rather see us keep what we’ve got and just bring in 1 or 2 so quality over quantity

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
We need a
Gk
Lb
Striker

As is.... and the thing about it we have to attract quality in those positions who are going to be content to sit on the bench by still do a job when they come in.

I don’t think we’ll sign a striker as Brewster will replace Sturridge. We need a lb and my thoughts are go for a younger player in this case who isn’t going to cost the earth. I think there is a worth to keeping Migs however if we lose him then I’d like to see Grabara given a go as number 2.

There is also the possibility departures of Lovren and Lallana

Personally I didn’t think we need any more departures.

We keep Lovren and Lallana and keep wilson!

Our squad without signings based on the players i’m Expecting to stay will be

Alisson
Kellerher
Grabara

We need a goal keeper to replace Migs

TAA
Hoever
Gomez
VVD
Matip
Lovren
Robbo

We need a LB to replace Moreno, think Hoever should deputise for TAA / Gomez if need be, cant see us signing another CB unless we sell Lovren

Hendo
Milner
Ox
Gini
Fabinho
Lallana
Wilson
Shaq
Jones

9 players for 3 positions in the ‘norm’ set up jones may well go out on loan and of course Wilson and Shaq and possibly Lallana can play further forward and give options as wider players (see these as cover for Salah or Mane rather than Bobby)

Salah
Bobby
Mane
Origi
Brewster

I think what we have here is a front 3 that is pretty much fixed and 2 Solid back up players who can Cover Bobby and is need be wide positions too.... although as I’ve mentioned Shaq and Lallana COULD fill in there.

Be interesting to see what does happen although I’d rather see us keep what we’ve got and just bring in 1 or 2 so quality over quantity
When you list it like that, it shows how healthy the squad is.

Couple of players you have forgotten is Keita and Clyne. Keita will be a significant team player, Clyne should be looking to move.
I'd love to see Wilson get a chance, but someone like Sessignon would cover the LB but also be an attacking option.

richieh10

Ahhh keita.... knew I’d forget one

I expect clyne to leave but would be a solid back up to TAA but he wouldn’t want that I doubt

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Anyone going to Istanbul? Didn't think I'd go, but got myself a ticket through UEFA's ballot, now looking at flights. Don't think I'll stay too long, but hopefully another Boss night or two to enjoy.

Last edited:

William Clarke

It's possible only one game will have to be postponed, the PL game on the 21st. Maybe a CC match if we're still in it. Not too bad imo, especially if we rest some players for the semi-final of the WCC.
Yeah, we’ll have to be really picky with team selection.

Sweeting

Premier League will surely have to move some fixtures to help us out a little bit.

I would say we should consider withdrawing from the CWC but UEFA would likely hand us a long ban from European competition.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Premier League will surely have to move some fixtures to help us out a little bit.

I would say we should consider withdrawing from the CWC but UEFA would likely hand us a long ban from European competition.
It’s a FIFA competition. I don’t think UEFA have much to do with it.

abcd

The Club World Cup shouldn't be treated with disrespect. Its a trophy the club has never won and doesn't get the opportunity to win too often. Its not like we have been overrun with trophies the last few years.

December looks busy but its always busy. I hope not but with the squad the way it is there's a strong possibility the League Cup will be over.

Champions League draw should be a lot more favourable. The best way to make December less daunting is to have qualification wrapped up before game 6.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
We're not Leicester, we'll cope with it. If we want to be a successful team again on a regular basis, better get used to it or just... don't do it. We coped brilliantly last season in December, though in Jan/Feb it was more tricky with a few games. Injuries could be a question mark this season with our squad, but I'm confident we can be successful in that time once more.

richieh10

I honestly hope we keep the likes of Wilson, Kent and Woodburn as this season we are going to 100% need them.

If we loan out all the likely candidates and we see the usual few injured (Lallana, Shaq, Hendo) plus how dangerously low we are on RB and LB cover the season could end up being too much for us.

Personally I think Kent, Woodburn and much more so Wilson should be given the chance.

Even if they are used to give the front 3 a rest when we are 3 up with 20 mins to go etc.

William Clarke

If we are not buying anyone in this transfer window, then we're going to have to rely on players such as Wilson, Kent, Woodburn and possibly Brewster and van den Berg. I think it will weaken us slightly, but we have to put our trust in these players sooner or later, and it could be sooner.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
If we are not buying anyone in this transfer window, then we're going to have to rely on players such as Wilson, Kent, Woodburn and possibly Brewster and van den Berg. I think it will weaken us slightly, but we have to put our trust in these players sooner or later, and it could be sooner.
How did we reach 97 points and won the CL without Wilson, Kent, Woodburn, Brewster, van den Berg, Ox, Lallana, Keita (for almost 70% of the games) and Fabinho (first part of the season) ?

The Phenom

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
If we are in it,we want to win it,ok the league and CL are the main ones we want to keep wining,but as petty as this may sound,we are 5 trophies behind United in the history of the game (66 to our 61).While we are in the position we are in,great owners,manager and team,i want us to over take United and be back on top as number 1 trophy wining team in the country and shut them fuckers up. lol
Might not be possible. Should the entrance to their alimentary canal be blocked, they'll resort to speaking out of the egress. ;-)

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I do think these are pointless competition, however since Pep and City couldn’t participate in two of those, I’d say go out and win those. Let them have the Charity Shield. We come back with not only as European champs but World Champs too. Something City can’t claim yet. Haha.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
When you look at the calibre of teams of the World club cup - its hardly meaningful, this coupled with the fact that there's no winter break when you get back - I wouldn't be sending my top players.

In the past years Madrid go come back then get a couple of weeks off. That won't be happening for us......

richieh10

Anything less than a win in the club World Cup would be embarrassing considering how much we rate European football compared to other parts of the world