• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Super Cup, Charity Shield and Club World Cup

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think we should pick a 23 man squad for the CWC and let the rest take the league cup, fly out early and make a warm weather camp of it. I’m that arsed about the league cup. The idea of trying to squeeze a two legged semi-final into January for a pot no-one is that bothered about does not appeal.

For me the league cup is the one we could still sometimes win when we were shite. We’re not shite anymore.

Can’t remember who said it, but the best idea would be that any team involved in European Competition does not participate. Make it a trophy for everyone else.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
The squad size is 23 players (3 have to be keepers) so we can’t really leave anyone’s b

The 20 outfield players from

Robertson
TAA
Lovren
Gomez
Matip
VVD

Milner
Ox
Henderson
Wijnandum
Fabinho
Lallana
Keita
Shaqiri

Origi
Firmino
Salah
Mane

Also worth noting that it would take 50 league cup successes to make the same prize money as 1 club World Cup success.

Mascot88

Admin
23 man squad

Alisson
Adrian
Kelleher

Van Dijk
Matip
Lovren
Gomez
Robertson
Alexander-Arnold
Hoever

Fabinho
Wijnaldum
Henderson
Keita
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Milner
Shaqiri

Salah
Mane
Firmino
Brewster
Origi
Elliot

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
23 man squad

Alisson
Adrian
Kelleher

Van Dijk
Matip
Lovren
Gomez
Robertson
Alexander-Arnold
Hoever

Fabinho
Wijnaldum
Henderson
Keita
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Milner
Shaqiri

Salah
Mane
Firmino
Brewster
Origi
Elliot
It's going to make the LC squad to face Villa quite interesting! It's the right approach, though.

jaffod

The squad size is 23 players (3 have to be keepers) so we can’t really leave anyone’s b

The 20 outfield players from

Robertson
TAA
Lovren
Gomez
Matip
VVD

Milner
Ox
Henderson
Wijnandum
Fabinho
Lallana
Keita
Shaqiri

Origi
Firmino
Salah
Mane

Also worth noting that it would take 50 league cup successes to make the same prize money as 1 club World Cup success.
Do they all have to be there though? Maybe a few could play at Villa and then fly out the next day? If not then just play a youth team at Villa even at the risk of a beating.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Hope we can win all three games and think the kids would hugely benefit from a two legged semi final in January.

vs Aston Villa
Kellerher
KJH SvdB VvD Robertson
Lallana Fabinho Keita
Elliott Brewster Mané

CWC 1st game
Alisson
TAA Gomez Lovren Milner
Ox Henderson Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Origi

CWC 2nd game
Alisson
TAA Matip VvD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mané

Every senior player except Adrian and Shaqiri would start at least one of the three.

Not sure if that would be allowed by FIFA and maybe unlikely that Klopp will do it that way.

Goals in the League Cup count for the PL golden boot right? That’s why I put Mané in the lineup vs. Villa.

cynicaloldgit

Green, not greed
Ad-free Member
Goals in the League Cup count for the PL golden boot right?
Nope. They’re completely separate competitions.

All you posters fielding first team players against Villa: I’m not sure if they have to be in Qatar three days before the tournament starts (I haven’t checked the rules) but, even if they are eligible, do you think that the players can play to their best virtually straight off the plane?

GermanRed

All you posters fielding first team players against Villa: I’m not sure if they have to be in Qatar three days before the tournament starts (I haven’t checked the rules) but, even if they are eligible, do you think that the players can play to their best virtually straight off the plane?
LC is on Tuesday. If the players fly out on Wednesday they should be good to start in the CWC final on Saturday.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
LC is on Tuesday. If the players fly out on Wednesday they should be good to start in the CWC final on Saturday.
But the issue he raises is a rule in most FIFA competitions where players must be in the country 3 days before the start of the tournement, which would mean anyone involved in the LC game against Villa would be inelligible for the CWC as they are still in the UK when the cut off is.

GermanRed

But the issue he raises is a rule in most FIFA competitions where players must be in the country 3 days before the start of the tournement, which would mean anyone involved in the LC game against Villa would be inelligible for the CWC as they are still in the UK when the cut off is.
That was my actual question yesterday. Is it three day before the tournament starts or three days before a game?

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
That was my actual question yesterday. Is it three day before the tournament starts or three days before a game?
The tournement starts on 11th December, so I would assume that we would have to be there 3 days before our first game, I doubt they would allow players to fly in simply for the final if they weren't already present for a clubs previous games.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
No chance any of the first teamers play against Villa. If we were interested in progressing in the Carabao we wouldn't have agreed to play 2 games in 24 hours.

I think the Club World Cup could be good for us. The alternative would have been a League cup quarter final against Villa and a tricky away game at West Ham in the middle of winter. Now the whole squad gets to go to Qatar for some warm weather training, a bit of team bonding pre-Christmas and a chance to win a trophy the club has never won before.

jaffod

No chance any of the first teamers play against Villa. If we were interested in progressing in the Carabao we wouldn't have agreed to play 2 games in 24 hours.

I think the Club World Cup could be good for us. The alternative would have been a League cup quarter final against Villa and a tricky away game at West Ham in the middle of winter. Now the whole squad gets to go to Qatar for some warm weather training, a bit of team bonding pre-Christmas and a chance to win a trophy the club has never won before.
Let's hope it doesn't end up like it did after our last bit of warm weather training last season when half of them came back with viruses. Coming from a warm climate to freezing cold conditions isn't ideal.

Mascot88

Admin
Let's hope it doesn't end up like it did after our last bit of warm weather training last season when half of them came back with viruses. Coming from a warm climate to freezing cold conditions isn't ideal.
I thought the conditioning argument was that the warm weather training was a big factor in the fitness of the squad during the run in.

Without it, maybe we do a bit better in January, but don’t do nearly as well in April and May.

Commando

Ad-free Member
I thought the conditioning argument was that the warm weather training was a big factor in the fitness of the squad during the run in.

Without it, maybe we do a bit better in January, but don’t do nearly as well in April and May.
Jurgen and his staff have shown countless times that they learn from setbacks (if we can call the outbreak of viruses post winter breaks a setback). All arrangements for our trip to the sandbox will be precise and will be meant to cover every aspect of the party's welfare I'm sure.

Sweeting

I think we should pick a 23 man squad for the CWC and let the rest take the league cup, fly out early and make a warm weather camp of it. I’m that arsed about the league cup. The idea of trying to squeeze a two legged semi-final into January for a pot no-one is that bothered about does not appeal.

For me the league cup is the one we could still sometimes win when we were shite. We’re not shite anymore.

Can’t remember who said it, but the best idea would be that any team involved in European Competition does not participate. Make it a trophy for everyone else.
Or make it a youth/reserve team tournament, similar to how most of the European qualified clubs do anyway. Limit the squad to 5 players over 23 or something like that.

Mind you a gentleman's agreement between the big sides not to field full strength teams seems to work well enough anyway,

Sweeting

Saturday 14th vs Watford (PL)
Alisson
Arnold Lovren vDijk Robertson
Salah Firmino Mane

Saturday 14th vs Chelsea (U23 PL)
Winterbottom
Gallacher Clayton Koumetio Norris
Cain Coyle Dixon-Bonner
Longstaff Stewart Hill

Tuesday 17th vs Aston Villa (League Cup)
Kelleher
Williams vdBerg Boyes Larouci
Christie-Davies Clarkson Kane
Elliott Brewster Jones

Wednesday 18th vs TBC (CWC)
Adrian
Hoever Gomez Matip Milner
Chirivella Lallana Chamberlain
Shaqiri Origi Keita

Wednesday 18th vs Paris St Germain U23s (PL International Cup)
Ojrzynski
Cain Coyle Dixon-Bonner
Longstaff Stewart Hill

Saturday 21st vs TBC (CWC)
Alisson
Salah Firmino Mane

Sunday 22nd vs Wolves U23s (PL International Cup)
Ojrzynski
Elliott Brewster Jones

How about that - does that work?

Last edited:

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
Saturday 14th vs Watford (PL)
Alisson
Salah Firmino Mane

Saturday 14th vs Chelsea (U23 PL)
Winterbottom
Cain Coyle Dixon-Bonner
Longstaff Stewart Hill

Tuesday 17th vs Aston Villa (League Cup)
Kelleher
Elliott Brewster Jones

Wednesday 18th vs TBC (CWC)
Adrian
Gomez Hoever Matip Milner
Chirivella Lallana Chamberlain
Shaqiri Origi Keita

Wednesday 18th vs Paris St Germain U23s (PL International Cup)
Ojrzynski
Cain Coyle Dixon-Bonner
Longstaff Stewart Hill

Saturday 21st vs TBC (CWC)
Alisson
Salah Firmino Mane

Sunday 22nd vs Wolves U23s (PL International Cup)
Ojrzynski
Elliott Brewster Jones

How about that - does that work?
I think the likes of Kelleher, Hoever, Elliot etc would be better served playing in the League Cup and not being included in the Club World cup squad. They wont feature in either of those two games. Id fill the remaining Club World Cup squad with U16 players.

The growth/rise and strength of club football outside of Europe is not something that should be underestimated, particularly in Asia and North America. I'm not convinced the line up (or similar) posted above would necessarily win the semi final. Its a long way to go and a huge distraction to not end up winning it. Particularly since its a trophy we've never won before as a club.

1977 - Declined to participate
1978 - Both Liverpool and Boca Juniors declined to participate
1981 - Flamengo 3-0 win over Liverpool
1984 - Independiente 1-0 win over Liverpool
2005 - Sao Paulo 1-0 win over Liverpool

Sweeting

I think the likes of Kelleher, Hoever, Elliot etc would be better served playing in the League Cup and not being included in the Club World cup squad. They wont feature in either of those two games. Id fill the remaining Club World Cup squad with U16 players.

The growth/rise and strength of club football outside of Europe is not something that should be underestimated, particularly in Asia and North America. I'm not convinced the line up (or similar) posted above would necessarily win the semi final. Its a long way to go and a huge distraction to not end up winning it. Particularly since its a trophy we've never won before as a club.

1977 - Declined to participate
1978 - Both Liverpool and Boca Juniors declined to participate
1981 - Flamengo 3-0 win over Liverpool
1984 - Independiente 1-0 win over Liverpool
2005 - Sao Paulo 1-0 win over Liverpool
Fair point about the strength of competition, I have no idea how strong it is, but I would still be surprised, and a bit disappointed, if we couldn't negotiate that game without any first team players. That squad would still have lots of experience (Adrian, Matip, Milner, Chamberlain, Lallana, Shaqiri, Keita and Origi - with the big guns on the bench). I imagine Al-Sadd will make short work of Hienghene and then be a close game between them and Monterray.

The youngsters I've taken to Qatar in this scenario are just Hoever and Chirivella. Hoever because I think he could start in the first game of the tournament and Chirivella to fill up the numbers with a guy who won't make it at LFC regardless but is also not useless.

Then bring in the first team to play against whoever we have to play after that, giving them a week off before the game.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
Fair point about the strength of competition, I have no idea how strong it is, but I would still be surprised, and a bit disappointed, if we couldn't negotiate that game without any first team players. That squad would still have lots of experience (Adrian, Matip, Milner, Chamberlain, Lallana, Shaqiri, Keita and Origi - with the big guns on the bench). I imagine Al-Sadd will make short work of Hienghene and then be a close game between them and Monterray.

The youngsters I've taken to Qatar in this scenario are just Hoever and Chirivella. Hoever because I think he could start in the first game of the tournament and Chirivella to fill up the numbers with a guy who won't make it at LFC regardless but is also not useless.

Then bring in the first team to play against whoever we have to play after that, giving them a week off before the game.
Too be honest, Urawa will most likely be the winner of the Asian Champions league and they are much stronger than the host club Al-Sadd. However, Qatari football has invested billions of dollars into football since being announced as 2022 hosts and those investments have been paying off big recently. Qatari clubs are progressing further in the champions league than ever before, and their national team won the most recent Asian Cup and were competitive as guests at the recent Copa America. Also, they're at home.

I know far less about Monterrey than some other Mexican league sides, but id argue that the big Mexican sides (Club America, Cruz Azul etc) , are on par with most top level championship teams, maybe even some lower Premier League level clubs like Norwich.

I am not for a minute suggesting we shouldn't beat those sides, because we should if we play anywhere close to our best. But you have to ask yourself, would you feel comfortable fielding a similar side away from home to upper championship level club who are given a once in a lifetime chance to beat the European champs? I agree its certainly a chance to rest some big players, but I don't know if I agree with a completely changed starting 11. If it were me, id go with a full strength side for the final and something like this for the semi...

Allison

Gomez
Matip
Lovren
Robertson

Ox
Hendo
Milner

Shaqiri
Origi
Mane

Sweeting

Too be honest, Urawa will most likely be the winner of the Asian Champions league and they are much stronger than the host club Al-Sadd. However, Qatari football has invested billions of dollars into football since being announced as 2022 hosts and those investments have been paying off big recently. Qatari clubs are progressing further in the champions league than ever before, and their national team won the most recent Asian Cup and were competitive as guests at the recent Copa America. Also, they're at home.

I know far less about Monterrey than some other Mexican league sides, but id argue that the big Mexican sides (Club America, Cruz Azul etc) , are on par with most top level championship teams, maybe even some lower Premier League level clubs like Norwich.

I am not for a minute suggesting we shouldn't beat those sides, because we should if we play anywhere close to our best. But you have to ask yourself, would you feel comfortable fielding a similar side away from home to upper championship level club who are given a once in a lifetime chance to beat the European champs? I agree its certainly a chance to rest some big players, but I don't know if I agree with a completely changed starting 11. If it were me, id go with a full strength side for the final and something like this for the semi...

Allison

Gomez
Matip
Lovren
Robertson

Ox
Hendo
Milner

Shaqiri
Origi
Mane
So it will likely be

Liverpool vs Monterray
Urawa vs CONMEBOL winner

In the semi-final.

Your line up is likely to be closer to the team we will field in the tournament, personally I would be OK with fielding the team I listed against a Championship side, after all we are going to play a worse side than that against Aston Villa!, and I feel like Shaqiri-Origi-Ox-Keita will break down any side of that level whilst Adrian-Hoever-Gomez-Matip-Milner is good base for a team with plenty of experience (and Hoever is the 2nd best RB at the club for my money) but when the physios etc can advise Klopp on the availability of the players he would probably see a stronger lineup than I gave.

My team gives the first team players a week off (nearly) either side of the match which is my main concern ahead of a tough run of games over the festive period - Leicester, Wolves, Sheff Utd - are all awkward sides where we won't want to rotate much.

I still find it kind of ridiculous that the U23s have 5 games in December - the busiest period at first team level - when they only have two games in March and April and no games at all in May. The FA/PL have improved the number of matches at U23 level with the EFL Trophy, PL International Cup, the U23 PL & the U23 League Cup but goodness me spread the frigging games out!

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
So it will likely be

Liverpool vs Monterray
Urawa vs CONMEBOL winner

In the semi-final.

Your line up is likely to be closer to the team we will field in the tournament, personally I would be OK with fielding the team I listed against a Championship side, after all we are going to play a worse side than that against Aston Villa!, and I feel like Shaqiri-Origi-Ox-Keita will break down any side of that level whilst Adrian-Hoever-Gomez-Matip-Milner is good base for a team with plenty of experience (and Hoever is the 2nd best RB at the club for my money) but when the physios etc can advise Klopp on the availability of the players he would probably see a stronger lineup than I gave.

My team gives the first team players a week off (nearly) either side of the match which is my main concern ahead of a tough run of games over the festive period - Leicester, Wolves, Sheff Utd - are all awkward sides where we won't want to rotate much.

I still find it kind of ridiculous that the U23s have 5 games in December - the busiest period at first team level - when they only have two games in March and April and no games at all in May. The FA/PL have improved the number of matches at U23 level with the EFL Trophy, PL International Cup, the U23 PL & the U23 League Cup but goodness me spread the frigging games out!

I wasn't aware of the U23 schedule. Totally agree, absolute madness.

Also, I have absolutely cursed Urawa with that prediction above. They're nailed on to muff it up. Going to put the mockers on River Plate as well... I think they should have too much for Flamengo.

Real Madrid have been Europe's representative the last 3 years, here are their results.

2016 Semi - 2-0 win over Club America (Qualified as winners of CONCACAF Champions League from Mexico)
2016 Final - 4-2 aet win over Kashima Antlers (Qualified as hosts from Japan)

2017 Semi - 2-1 win over Al Jazira (Qualified as hosts from UAE) *Madrid came from behind
2017 Final - 1-0 win over Gremio (Qualified as winners of Liberatadores from Brazil)

2018 Semi - 3-1 win over Kashima Antlers (Qualified as Asian Champions League winners from Japan)
2018 Final - 4-1 win over Al Ain (Qualified as tournament hosts from UAE)

Last edited:

GermanRed

Copa Libertadores Final
River Plate leading 1-0 at halftime against Flamengo.

Winner will be a possible CWC final opponent, right?

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Watched the final and it was a miserable affair. Fouls every minute or so, few quality moments throughout and generally speaking the standard of play was well below from what an European fan would expect in a final. River Plate was the better side and should have wrapped it up but Flamengo pulled a '99 and turned it around out of nowhere.

So for their manager to say that their final had more 'content' than the CL one is a bit rich. I can only assume that he was still high from the adrenaline to make such a claim. Not to mention the fact that the last thing he would want is to provoke these Liverpool players.

Flamengo is a decent side but the gulf in class is big. I suspect that they'll park the bus if they want to have any chance.

Last edited:
Looks like Al Hilal are the final team to have qualified for the club world cup

They won the first leg v Urawa Red Diamonds 2-1 at home

They've managed to grab the lead during the second half and lead 1-0 away from home with 15 minutes left