• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Super Cup, Charity Shield and Club World Cup

Commando

Ad-free Member
So which teams are in it at the moment?
And from which countries? Which confederations too. I don't follow other leagues and have only heard of Flamengo because of us playing them in 81.

It turns out that a Brazilian lad that I play walking footy with is a Flamengo fan. Adds a bit more interest to it for me if we end up meeting again.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Al-Sadd (AFC), Qatar, winners of the Qatari league, hosts
Hienghène Sport (OFC), New Caledonia, Oceanian Club Championship winners
Monterrey (CONCACAF), Mexico, CONCACAF Champions League winners
Espérance de Tunis (CAF), Tunisia, CAF Champions League winners
Al-Hilal (AFC), Saudi Arabia, AFC Champions League winners
Flamengo (CONMEBOL), Brazil, Copa Libertadores winners

Our first game is the winner of Monterrey vs. Al-Sadd/Hienghène

Flamengo vs. Espérance/Al-Hilal determines the other finalist

jaffod

Watched the final and it was a miserable affair. Fouls every minute or so, few quality moments throughout and generally speaking the standard of play was well below from what an European fan would expect in a final. River Plate was the better side and should have wrapped it up but Flamengo pulled a '99 and turned it around out of nowhere.

So for their manager to say that their final had more 'content' than the CL one is a bit rich. I can only assume that he was still high from the adrenaline to make such a claim. Not to mention the fact that the last thing he would want is to provoke these Liverpool players.

Flamengo is a decent side but the gulf in class is big. I suspect that they'll park the bus if they want to have any chance.
It was like watching a Sunday League game, not much quality and a lot of indiscipline with both teams not seeming to keep any shape. I thought RP would have been a harder opponent because of their aggressive play and pressing so was quite glad about the result.
The only way I see these beating us is if we don't take it seriously because they will play as if their lives depend on it.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
Well as un/predicted, I put the mockers on both River and Urawa.

The Copa final was not a particularly enjoyable game, until the end. I tend to find the Argentine league to be stronger than the Brazilian, and that showed for large periods of the match. But Flamengo snatched it at the death.

I didnt watch the ACL final, but Urawa should have been able to do the business at home after only losing the first leg 1 0 away. Theyve been poor in the league this year so maybe I shouldnt have been so surprised.

I still think people are underestimating these sides a little bit. Let's not forget these were finals, were teams are often more determined to not lose than win. It was only 5 months ago we won our own turgid final, with little quality on show from either side. It's easy to forget when you win it.

I still think we will win it, but it wont be a stroll. See my previous post on Madrids results the last 3 years.

nikz200

that final looked terrible but i reckon we will be at a unfamiliar territory when we play Flamengo in Qatar. Weather, style of play all of which is foreign to us. Not to mention pre game prep will be a bit difficult given our schedule. But i do feel we really need to win this trophy, simply because throughout the history of football, all the great dynasty teams have won it..... it would cement our status if we were to win it.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
The final may have looked terrible but Flamengo have now become the first Brazilian team since Pele's Santos in 1963 to do the double of Copa Libertadores and the Brazilian championship.

Check out the size of the crowd in their homecoming celebrations. Makes ours look a bit modest in comparison.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50540709

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
The final may have looked terrible but Flamengo have now become the first Brazilian team since Pele's Santos in 1963 to do the double of Copa Libertadores and the Brazilian championship.

Check out the size of the crowd in their homecoming celebrations. Makes ours look a bit modest in comparison.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50540709
How to hire/buy those fans. Mancity wants to know....

Last edited:

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Wish we have skipped this one and concentrate mainly on the PL.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Wish we have skipped this one and concentrate mainly on the PL.
Would swap 4 points in the League for this title but tbh can’t see us drop more than 2 points until the end of the year (maybe a draw away at Leicester).

I am pretty confident that the gap to second will be higher than the 8 points we have at the moment.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
Yeah well, Rio's population is 13,000,000 while Greater Merseyside's is 1,000,000? If that.

No wonder it was bigger.
Flamengo is actually one of the biggest clubs in the world, based on supporters and tv viewership. They're absolutely massive throughout Latin America.

That 13million is also divided by 4 Rio based clubs, Flamengo, Flumeniense, Vasco De Gama and Botafago.

Whilst the 1 million in Merseyside is divided by 2 clubs, Liverpool and Tranmere.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Liverpool FIFA Club World Cup squad: Alisson, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gomez, Adrian, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lonergan, Shaqiri, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Jones, Alexander-Arnold, Elliott, Williams.

cynicaloldgit

Green, not greed
Ad-free Member
Liverpool FIFA Club World Cup squad: Alisson, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gomez, Adrian, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lonergan, Shaqiri, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Jones, Alexander-Arnold, Elliott, Williams.

If that lot are all flying out to Qatar, who is going to be left behind got the Carsbao Cup tie?

Beryl the tea lady might get a run-out at this rate.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
If that lot are all flying out to Qatar, who is going to be left behind got the Carsbao Cup tie?

Beryl the tea lady might get a run-out at this rate.
Klopp obviously means business and wants to give the sheiks something for their (dirty) money, and has sacrificed the League cup for it. The U21s will play this probably, reinforced by a few U18s replacing Brewster, Elliott, Lonergan and Jones.

Can't blame him, there is much more money at stake in this competition if we can win it, and we've also never won it, so there is definitely a chance to be seized here.

Also, the FA can't complain: if they had wanted to take us the League cup seriously, they should have found another fixture for us to play it.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Tbf, we had to sent a 23 player squad list anyway. Matip and Fabinho are missing out due to injury unfortunately, so we had to include two additional youngsters to make up the numbers. They will get an unforgettable experience now :)

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
To be honest the Football League and the FA knew this could happen and they put no plans in place, I assume the discussions went if you want us to play that day then you'll have to have our U21's to play it.

It's woeful planning on behalf of the football authorities in England.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Tbf, we had to sent a 23 player squad list anyway. Matip and Fabinho are missing out due to injury unfortunately, so we had to include two additional youngsters to make up the numbers. They will get an unforgettable experience now :)
Yeah, it's basically a training camp with competitive football thrown in. A good chance to further improve the bond within the squad.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Lonergan for Kelleher, so Kelleher starts at Villa. We're taking Williams, so I guess it could be the likes of Hoever, vdBerg, Boyes and Larouci in defence. Koumetio on the bench. Chirivella, Clarkson, Kane in midfield. Christie-Davis, Dixon-Bonner and Cain probably involved, too. Longstaff, Stewart.

Sweeting

Does that mean they all have to travel out for the first game or, for example, could Williams, Brewster, Jones and Elliott play against Villa and travel out the next day to be in the camp for the final on the Saturday?

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Does that mean they all have to travel out for the first game or, for example, could Williams, Brewster, Jones and Elliott play against Villa and travel out the next day to be in the camp for the final on the Saturday?
I've read that the club is working on it. They've requested an exemption, but whether this has been approved is not yet known.

Incognito

The Normal One
The FIFA rule book says "Each team participating in the World Cup 2019 shall arrive at the venue of its first match at least three days before the match."

Hence not sure if that'll be allowed.

Sweeting

I've read that the club is working on it. They've requested an exemption, but whether this has been approved is not yet known.

Seems like we must be fairly confident we will be given the exemption.

Kelleher
Williams Hoever vdBerg Larouci
Kane Chirivella Dixon-Bonner
Elliott Brewster Jones

Would seem to be the line up for the Aston Villa game. Maybe Clarkson/Dixon-Bonner swap.

I think we will take a proper tonking but hey ho.