• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Takumi Minamino : Welcome to Liverpool!

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
We have one of the best teams in Europe, one of the best managers, and it seems one of the best supporting managements in the business.
Getting Mini for 7.25 is nothing less than a moder day miracle. The manner in which it was done was also brilliant, quietly, below the radar, no fuss, and suddenly his wearing a red shirt.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
We have one of the best teams in Europe, one of the best managers, and it seems one of the best supporting managements in the business.
Getting Mini for 7.25 is nothing less than a moder day miracle. The manner in which it was done was also brilliant, quietly, below the radar, no fuss, and suddenly his wearing a red shirt.
Edwards never fails.

won it at-a-turk stadium

TIA Regular Simpsons quoter

19 NOV 2019

Liverpool FC have set up a new global collaboration with Sanrio, the Japanese company behind 'Hello Kitty'.

One month later

Liverpool to complete signing of Minamino
-----------------------------

I don't think it's a coincidence that we set this partnership up with the megapopular Japanese brand Sanrio and now signed Minamino. Its about damn time FSG tried to break into the very competitive Asian market and I feel we have done it with good intentions.

We're signing a player who will be on par with the rest of the squads best players, unlike the time when manure signed Dong Fangzhou because 'Chinese'

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Just saw Minamino's interview.
Calm calm guy. Something about his body language that gives a strong feeling of assurance and calmness.
He is gona score crucial pressure cooker goals, samurai style, ayeeeeechaaaaaayaaa!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Great signing.

I was at the 4-3 in October and everybody around me (me included) were gushing over Minamino. At times we couldn't get anywhere near him. Technically he's excellent, he's very quick off the mark and on the turn and his work rate is outstanding. He also looks to have a decent shot on him, can play in a number of different positions and appears to be the perfect character for Klopp.

The price and commercial factors are just the cherry on the top for the club, it's the footballing side of it that I'm most excited about. He's class.

Also liking the brown nosing of Salzburg we're doing, clearly trying to get first dibs on any other talents they'll inevitably have coming through in the next few years. It's becoming a well trodden path, now, and is mutually beneficially for both clubs.

Last edited:

RodM

Fantastic Asian player....one of the very best I have seen. Welcome to Liverpool and Anfield!
OK, I have been racking my brains but have we ever had an Asian player before? Given that Liverpool has a long established Chinese community I'm guessing that we must have done and probably a long time ago but no-one springs to mind.

I have to say that I do have a soft spot for Japanese players. I saw the Japanese team play at the Olympics in 2012 and the team were fantastic, beating Spain 1:0. Their fans were a lot of fun as well.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
welcome

love this guys pace.. technique.. and vision.. and how he tries to control the game. it's easy to see why Klopp wanted this player after watching his performances vs us. if he plays like that normally... he looks like a perfect fit along with being very versatile like other klopp signings in mane, salah, gini, keita... etc... he is also a teamplayer like all them. this looks like the replacement for Lallana or Shaq... maybe one more in the Summer to replace the other. but I really don't see the need to buy a sancho now with Takumi unless shaq is gone as well. then we have room for another like Havertz, Sancho, or Werner.... I could see one of those players being our big summer signing if we have one but right now I don't even see the need for that.

SBYM

La presión es para neumáticos
Ad-free Member
Forget the Nivea ads, I want to see Milner and Minamino star in an advert in Japan like this

FMD...nobody does absurd quite like the Japanese.

I lived in Seoul for three years. In some ways they are very similar, however, I didn't see much of this stuff on the peninsula.

Love it...especially the Japanese game shows. My favourite is the one where they made people stick their tongue through a small hole in a slide so that they could guess what was sent down said slide...slime, a spiky ball, water straight out of a boiling kettle...that kind of thing.

Big_Doogs

Great signing. I have little new to add, but he’s the sort of signing we’ve needed for a little while.

Shirt sales will have paid off his fee before he even debuts. The move will makes him an even bigger name in Japan and increase the footprint of the LFC brand (I hate the term though) massively. A great bit of business and even better from a football perspective.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
That was a great watch, thanks Livvy for posting! I didn't realize he spoke German. He seems a smart young chap and also really eager to get in here and start working with the boys. I also get the sense from listening to him talk his life is ALL about football. His mentality, how he approaches the game, should serve him quite well here.

Big_Doogs

There a few nice things on YouTube including every compilation of every (I’m not sure that’s true) Salzberg goal and assist from him.

He’s very 2 footed and surprisingly (to me at least) reasonable in the air. What I love is that he seems to have great game intelligence and is both calm and patient. You can see why Klopp wants him when you look him beyond the basic goal and assist numbers, he has all the attributes of a player that should slot straight in. The grin on Klopps face when he scored at Anfield makes me think a deal was on the cards even then.

It seems I had something to add after all . I’m very excited by this signing.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I guess Klopp will probably let him play against Everton, and that will be that for the season ( injuries permitting ).
he did the same with most other signings, let them and the fans get exited, then work with them a few month and slowly intigrate them to the team. VVD the exception.

Dave-D

Yes!!!!! A January signing and the window hasn’t even opened yet :D

Welcome to Liverpool Takumi, he could well be the shot in the arm the team need to push on and will allow for some much needed rotation with the front three.

Wouldn’t say no to another January signing if possible;)

Craig_Johnston

Clearly turn of pace, decent shot, shirt sales, languages etc are all secondary to the most important question - the nickname.
It seems to come down to 'taki' or 'mini'.
Personally I prefer mini, as taki sounds like tacky
Time for a poll?

gr_sounder

I've gone back and looked at some more clips of Taki... and the more I see the more I like.
He's definitely got ball skills and awareness, and will work well with Mane, Salah, and Firmino with putting balls into areas where others might not expect them to get there.

The other thing I see is amazing quickness. I don't know if his top speed is super high but he seems to be able to get to top speed in 1-2 steps.
That creates separation and that creates problems for defenses.

jim bouki

If Salzberg go on to win the austrian bundesliga, and we go on to lift the PL with minamino making the sufficient no. of appearances, would he then collect two league winners medals from two different countries in the same season?! Has this happened before?

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

Ray_Chua

To be very honest, when I saw the news of his imminent transfer to Pool at a mere 7.25 million even before the window was opened, I was very worried that some desperate EPL clubs might hijack by offering 3 to 4 times the amount.... Phew... very relief now after seeing him in the Liverpool shirt. Can't wait to see him in action in January... all Asian Pool fans will be rooting for him I am very sure.

"Minamino - who is the quickest of them all...."

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
What I love about this transfer is that Minamino could be the answer to every single thing we might lack (or a few of us think that way since we may have some personal preferences).

We needed a creative midfielder after Coutinho went away? Minamino.
We needed a better winger? Minamino.
We needed a Firmino backup? Minamino.
We need players who can fit our style? Minamino.

Also, with him and the way Klopp has been changing the system during matches, Minamino is absolutely precious. We can change to 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 4-3-1-2 or whatever the hell we need. I can't see things like that with Ox, for example. He has a hard time playing in the wings and Shaqiri has a hard time playing through the middle (defensively). Keita could potentially play in the wings, but it's obviously not the same. Minamino looks like the answer to everything.

I also think this boy could reach the same level as our front three show in their best day. Just give him a little bit of time. I'm not expecting amazing displays for the next six months, but after that I think we will be a better team than today (and it's very hard to get even better than we are now).

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
What I love about this transfer is that Minamino could be the answer to every single thing we might lack (or a few of us think that way since we may have some personal preferences).

We needed a creative midfielder after Coutinho went away? Minamino.
We needed a better winger? Minamino.
We needed a Firmino backup? Minamino.
We need players who can fit our style? Minamino.

Also, with him and the way Klopp has been changing the system during matches, Minamino is absolutely precious. We can change to 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, 4-3-1-2 or whatever the hell we need. I can't see things like that with Ox, for example. He has a hard time playing in the wings and Shaqiri has a hard time playing through the middle (defensively). Keita could potentially play in the wings, but it's obviously not the same. Minamino looks like the answer to everything.

I also think this boy could reach the same level as our front three show in their best day. Just give him a little bit of time. I'm not expecting amazing displays for the next six months, but after that I think we will be a better team than today (and it's very hard to get even better than we are now).
Also leaves the door open for a Fab/Keita(Ox)/Minamino 3 man midfield when we really need to press and make direct runs from the midfield. Opponents will have a tough time defending against attacks originating from the wingbacks as well as the 2 midfielders pressing up for the assists.