• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The attack - what's the answer?

Incognito

The Normal One
The above may end up with Firmino dropping deep instead of Salah, which I think was how we had set up in the earlier half of season. Also neither of Keita/ Shaqiri might be that effective on the left. I recollect us not being convinced with that set up earlier and were wanting to revert to 4-3-3 to become more attacking.

While finishing and lack of that Ox type midfielder are definitely two out of many factors; I believe more than the formation and the personnel, it's by design - an intentional lack of press, prioritization on defense and sustaining our energy for the entirety of season, which has resulted in perceived lack of attacking threat.

This is also evident that whenever we are down, we just raise our game and manage to score. We just don't do it proactively to put the game beyond doubt these days.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Given a full season, I think Ox is capable of getting 8-10. Agree that's the difference we've been missing.
I think this is correct. There's certain players that we rely on for our tactical formations and set ups. Ox is one of them and unfortunately we don't have a similar player for this season. When fit and in form Lallana can offer some of the same. Keita is more of a CM but offers more pace and dynamism than Lallana. Wijnaldum the same. Firmino is a bit more like Lallana in that role and there's no "Firmino" in front of him to make it work anyway. Jones and Woodburn are unknowns. Wilson on loan. Shaqiri not tried yet although I think in the squad him and Wilson have the most potential to be Ox like.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
We have scored 3 more goals than the corresponding fixtures last season without Mo doing what he did - others, mostly Mane, have contributed. That being said, a few more from midfield, even the fullbacks, would certainly help on the final push

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss your options later" - Bob Paisley

Pretty fucking simple if you ask me and as usual, Bob was always bang on the money

Incognito

The Normal One
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss your options later" - Bob Paisley

Pretty fucking simple if you ask me and as usual, Bob was always bang on the money
Matip takes this very seriously lollol