• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The attack - what's the answer?

K

Klopptinho

First, we have to agree what we ALL go back to. I'm offering up ......

The team: Félix, Carlos Alberto (C), Brito, Piazza and Marco Antonio; Clodoaldo, Gérson and Pelé; Jairzinho, Tostão and Rivelino.
Substitutes: Ado, Leão, Baldochi, Zé Maria, Everaldo, Fontana, Paulo César Caju, Roberto, Dario and Edu.
Coach: Zagallo.

And to seal the deal....
argentina won the world cup without a real top class striker .. has some little attacking midfielder called maradona though lol so might not quite prove the point in the same way as your brazil 70!

Not Worthy

argentina won the world cup without a real top class striker .. has some little attacking midfielder called maradona though lol so might not quite prove the point in the same way as your brazil 70!
You mean, El Chapo. Doesn't count if you're doing it on Colombian marching powder. Eight bars of The Girl from Ipanema and a can of Lilt should be enough to win the World Cup

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
lollol you're seriously struggling to remember the man utd teams that consisted of yorke cole solsjkaer and sheringham ?
The very first premier league title was won by a United side whose top scorers (Hughes and Cantona) only had 15 each. Other sides had 'go to guys' who scored more than 15, but they didn't win the title.

K

Klopptinho

The very first premier league title was won by a United side whose top scorers (Hughes and Cantona) only had 15 each. Other sides had 'go to guys' who scored more than 15, but they didn't win the title.
i remember the 90s better than i remember this afternoon ..unfortunately . it's a team game and if it wasn't then sunderland might have won the title with kevin phillips lol

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
First, we have to agree what we ALL go back to. I'm offering up ......

The team: Félix, Carlos Alberto (C), Brito, Piazza and Marco Antonio; Clodoaldo, Gérson and Pelé; Jairzinho, Tostão and Rivelino.
Substitutes: Ado, Leão, Baldochi, Zé Maria, Everaldo, Fontana, Paulo César Caju, Roberto, Dario and Edu.
Coach: Zagallo.

And to seal the deal....
Thanks for that clip, my Dad always raves on about the 1970 World Cup final, he remembers that Carlos Alberto goal.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Maria, it may not have been a Liverpool 'thing' but that was the moment I became a football fan.:rolleyes:
I mean, how can you not love that 1970 Brazil World Cup team, no matter waht club team you support. My love for Brazilian football was in in 1982, I was mesmerised by the Brazilian team who should have won the World Cup. I was in awe of Zico and I thought Socrates was so cool!

gobble gobble

Banned Users
All the top teams don't have a go to guy so that's just horse shit as goals come from multiple areas in the top teams like us,unless you're Spurs.
Yeh , you're right .
City -Aguero
Utd -Lukaku
Spurs-Kane
Chelsea-Morata
shite that lot.
Aren't all those teams above us ?

Not Worthy

I mean, how can you not love that 1970 Brazil World Cup team, no matter waht club team you support. My love for Brazilian football was in in 1982, I was mesmerised by the Brazilian team who should have won the World Cup. I was in awe of Zico and I thought Socrates was so cool!
Honestly, that may have been an even better team but they got outsmarted by the ever canny Italians in the quarter finals (???)

The 1970 Brazilian team was (world) famous in our house, to such an extent that I was allowed to have a Brazil shirt.....unheard of !!!

gobble gobble

Banned Users
I get you point, but Barcelona 2011-12 was considered by some the best team ever. Yet, they had Messi, Sanchez and Villa at their spearhead: none a CF in the traditional mold. Germany won the last World Cup without a "proper" CF. Liverpool are not breaking new ground, here.....
Villa is a Striker
Muller is a Striker

K

Klopptinho

They are all top strikers !!!!!
nope. he couldn't sign shearer so he had to spread the goals amongst the team - none of the players he signed were considered top strikers - solsjkaer and sheringham were impact players from the bench .. cole required 3 or 4 chances a match to score and yorke was nowhere near top class . the genuine top strikers in the premier league played for us , arsenal and newcastle - chelsea had bought a few who hadn't worked due to injury and age . zola could be considered top class as a player but not a go to man .

gobble gobble

Banned Users
nope. he couldn't sign shearer so he had to spread the goals amongst the team - none of the players he signed were considered top strikers - solsjkaer and sheringham were impact players from the bench .. cole required 3 or 4 chances a match to score and yorke was nowhere near top class . the genuine top strikers in the premier league played for us , arsenal and newcastle - chelsea had bought a few who hadn't worked due to injury and age . zola could be considered top class as a player but not a go to man .
Solsjkaer and Cole were out and out strikers ( and great ones at that ) Sheringham was considered a second striker . Yorke was a fantastic striker for two seasons. Man Utd didn't share the goals amongst the team because of striker deficiency , they just had a team full of goal scorers.

redshirt

The '70 world cup was the first I saw in colour and the Brazil team there were the best football team I have ever seen, god knows what their joint worth would have been to-day, Neymar would have been lucky to get on the bench.

K

Klopptinho

Solsjkaer and Cole were out and out strikers ( and great ones at that ) Sheringham was considered a second striker . Yorke was a fantastic striker for two seasons. Man Utd didn't share the goals amongst the team because of striker deficiency , they just had a team full of goal scorers.
lol

really solsjkaer and cole great strikers ? solsjkaer was a super sub aka an impact player over short amounts of game time . andy cole was just fucking abysmal . they had a striker deficiency .. they didn't have a guy the could rely on to win them things.. so they bought 2 more players in.. a few years later they bought van horseface and he was supposed to be their go to man .. he scored a lot but they weren't as good as the previous sides .

4 decent players v 1 great player proved that the 4 was better than the 1. andy coles goal record after he signed from newcastle was awful.. especially considering the team he played in .. and that was the main reason fergie tried to sign shearer .. who turned him down to join newcastle from blackburn. he searched for a go to guy .. but couldn't find one that would join.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
All the other top teams have a ' Go To Guy ' striker who they can rely on . I'm struggling to think of a team that has ever won a league title without a top striker in their team. Yet we continue with Firmino being inconsistent and innefective for long periods of a game. Why ?
Maybe we'd be happier if Salah had a couple of goals, and Firmino was the one in double figures?

I think we could pull the front line back in a 4231, and add a striker next year - but Mo is on for a 25 goal season as it stands. Does it matter where the numbers are coming from, as long as they are coming?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
So what do you make of Salah? 14 goals scored in what, 19 games? Topping the league goal scorer chart right now. Is he good enough for you?

I love to have a focal point of attack, but if we can show this sort of fluidity throughout the season, I don't mind us having a wide forward that cuts in to score. Messi and Ronaldo made a career out of it.

vjcpatriot

#1 Leader in League Goals:
Premier League Salah 12
La Liga Lionel Messi 13
Bundesliga Robert Lewandowski 14

I'd say that Salah is keeping some pretty good company. ;)

kennyrush

solsjkaer was a super sub aka an impact player over short amounts of game time

Fairclough > Solsjkaer[/QUOTE]

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Maybe we'd be happier if Salah had a couple of goals, and Firmino was the one in double figures?

I think we could pull the front line back in a 4231, and add a striker next year - but Mo is on for a 25 goal season as it stands. Does it matter where the numbers are coming from, as long as they are coming?
Nostradamus..

Commando

Ad-free Member
The '70 world cup was the first I saw in colour and the Brazil team there were the best football team I have ever seen, god knows what their joint worth would have been to-day, Neymar would have been lucky to get on the bench.
The first World Cup that I can remember clearly. I can remember the 66 WC when I was six years old and all the clamour surrounding it. But the 70 WC was the first that I actually sat down and watched matches. Whenever any team is doing well and being lauded as the best ever by the media (as City are now by some of the media) then I compare them to the Brazil WC 70 team. No team come close IMO.

On a side note Sandro Mazolla the Italian midfielder was the spitting image of my brother Billy.

SBYM

What the fuck do you want?
Ad-free Member
More composure in front of goal and once that happens then holy shit we'll smash shit out of anyone.
Wise words, and if I'm honest, I think the OP deserves a great deal of credit for providing you with an appropriate thread in which to air this opinion.

That being the case, where is the handsome devil that started this particular discussion?