The end of football romance

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by shachart, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

I think that's a load of tosh.

Sure there's a few idiots on every forum, I would say this one generally has less than usual, but the passion and romance is very much alive on here.

What's been missing is the moments to show it. Since Klopp arrived there has been increasingly more, and I strongly suspect with the return of the Champions League and hopefully some signings that are more than Borini level exciting, this place will reflect that.

Maybe you weren't here when Wijnaldum scored against Boro, but I remember the eruption of equal parts joy and relief.

Scott Jones likes this.

2. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

I agree, but his performance at Istanbul, had nothing to do with talent and I still view it as one of the best CB performance I have ever seen.
    That is the exact point of this thread. I love football exactly for that reason. Seeing players and teams produce performances that are beyond their skills and capabilities.

Wyld@Heart likes this.
  3. RedLar

RedLar Well-Known Member

Ee by heck, when I was a lad........

The romance of footy to me was walking mostly on rain days or nights up Wally Hall Avenue from near the Crown (now defunct) and lining up with me mate to go stand on the kop about 20-30 minutes before kick off. Nestle ourselves in behind the net in front of one of the barriers about 10 yards up the stand. High enough to see over the net down the Annie Road end. Yes, I was pretty much a gobshite, but I did have the odd foray down the road end when fancy took me. We'd just sold Keegan for Celtic's Kenny, and all were wondering if he would ever be good enough. Think it was a quid to get in, which was pretty stiff back then, but I managed from me school lunch money to save a few extra coppers. I would have been 16.

I know plenty of lads and lads dads, that are not arsed at all about Liverpool as much any more. Its nothing to do with the lack of league wins, though that would help, I am sure. But rather the loss of traditions like regular Saturday afternoon kick offs, the odd scouse, let alone British accent in the side, even in the managers office.

Much changed in the aftermath of Souness short management stint, and plenty of us were not prepared for, nor cared for the level of change, and what it meant for the club.

People say the club was unprepared to make the required steps into the 21st century, but I often think we just lost touch with some basic principals that had made us a great club. The ability to unearth talent before our competitors did, to develop players into real first team contenders and full internationals for their countries, as well as make the most astute buys in order to maximize what was already a sold foundation. The scouting mechanism we once so cherished and trusted has all but disappeared.

As for the match, I was last there with a ticket I managed to get for 50 quid on the kop. I was sitting at the top right end off the stand, which would basically have been a large vacant area to take a piss back in the day of the standing kop. Now its crammed with seats for maximum efficiency. We joined in singing songs and all that, but to be honest, I felt like a bit of a tw@t, sitting so far away from the action. 16 year old lads will never be able to save up a few coppers and go get a spec behind our goal on match day. The games our sold out 3 months in advance to God knows who. How can it carry the same atmosphere?

I am sure I know a few fellas older than I am, who moaned about how much better things were going up and down to the old 2nd division. I am not too old to remember Liverpool fans applauding opponents good football, and how a lad might well get a decent clattering on the pitch, and accept a hand shake as part and parcel of the effort. Ahh, I am just rambling now...... The games is just different now. As different as it was for those (before me) recall 59,000 in side Anfield when capacity was not regulated. I can honestly say that while I still watch every match, when I can, I am really not as arsed as I might have been 10-15 years ago. Magic is perhaps still around, but a different 2017 magic to that of a lad walking the East Lancs to go stand on the kop.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Irishanfield and shachart like this.
  4. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

Well if your going to interpret what I said that way then i think the problem may be more on your end anyway.

I have plenty of fun on here.

5. Red&War

Red&War Well-Known Member

I think you have some valid comments here but I think it is unfair to attribute it to age. I think you get fans that are passionate and fans that are not across all demographics. I often listen to Talksport in the day time as background noise and often hear older "fans" ring up to voice opinions that are so far off the mark. I.e. an older united fan talking about how their new Centre half Pogba isn't worth the money that he is payed before going on to gush about some united CB from the 70's. In contrast there are also very knowledgable people who phone up of a older generation. I would still class myself as youngish and I would 100% say that I have a passion for football.

Much like your nephew I have no strong feelings towards Kenny and slightly more fondness for Fowler (My early years watching football) because they are not the hero's that I grew up watching. However, I did feel sad when Gerrard and Carra left the club, I felt the game lost something special when Xabi decided to hang up his boots. But its all about the players you associate with.

I will put a caveat on this, however, that the game has moved on, its far more competitive now and we don't have as much room for sentiment anymore within the game because you will be left behind. Media also plays a big part I think previously you could live in a smaller bubble in which you read your local newspaper, watched your local team etc. Now football is global and perhaps the younger generation have embraced this slightly more than the older generation, there terms of reference in regards to players and stories are larger