• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Everton Cup! Summer Transfer Game - What is your plan?

The winner of The Everton Cup is

• JustHitMyHead (page 3)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anfield rd Dreamer (page 3

• Iluvatar (page 3)

• Broomy (page 3)

• MW2833 (page 3)

• Cynicaloldgit

• Total voters

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
It’s nearly that time of year when thoughts turn away from trivial matters like playing matches and trying to win pots, and we instead focus on the most important part of football - the summer transfer window.

As such the ‘who would you buy’ thread becomes a hotbed of mini Micheal Edward’s, crunching the numbers, raising so many millions through flogging Lazar Markovic, and tempting PSG with sneaky bids for M’Bappe.

I thought this year, we could turn it into a little game of sorts. Whoever want to take part can set out who they would sell, who they would buy, and what their squad for 2019/20 looks like.

At the suggestion of @LFCFFC this will be named The Everton Cup, in honour of our neighbours who are always the bestest at transfers.

Forum users can vote for the best plans and the winner gets the satisfaction of the peer’s approval. But who knows? The United technical director post might still be up for grabs!

Last edited:

Mascot88

Admin
Here are some extra rules.

1. Keep the transfers realistic. It’s just a bit of fun, so no need to be too heavy, but obviously just keep to targets we actually have a cat in hell’s chance of getting

2. You’ll need to set out a 23 senior squad, and you can use as many under 21s as you like. It’s fine to have some overlap (Trent will probably be one of the 23 for example). You can name fewer than 23 seniors, but not more.

3. Your 23 man senior squad must have a maximum of 17 non-home grown players (see the squad list for more info). Home grown is defined as being on the books of an English or Welsh club for three years before the age of 21.

4. John Henry has very kindly rummaged down the back of the sofa found approx £100m to invest in the squad. You can also reinvest anything that you recoup. John is a nice man, and he isn’t going to bollock you if you go a little above that. But don’t take the piss - when he goes, he properly goes.

5. I know this isn’t how transfers really work, with amortisation and book value, and all that stuff. But I’m not an accountant and this is just a bit of fun.

6. We’re not getting into wages or signing on fees. I just can’t be arsed. Just stick to players who’s wages are realistic, we’re not going to paying anyone 400k a week.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Admin
Consistency of player values.

1. I’ll provide a squad list of current LFC players with values and this will be the guide for any sales (it will be based on transfermarkt prices)

2. Be realistic with the values of players you bring in. If you want to be scientific about it, use @Kopstars rule of thumb.

Transfermarkt figures
x1 for 1 year remaining
x1.15 for 2 years remaining
x1.4 for 3 years remaining
x1.6 for 4+ years remaining

3. Where there is a case for a player being available cheaper (like a release clause or an exiting contract), that’s fine but just use your common sense.

4. No transfers from Manchester Utd, Everton or City. Never gonna happen.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Admin
I’ll add a poll to give an indication if you’re interested in playing. And you can use this thread to suggest improvements and so forth (if anyone has a better idea of deciding player values etc)

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Consistency of player values.

1. I’ll provide a squad list of current LFC players with values and this will be the guide for any sales (it will be based on transfermarkt prices)

2. Any players you bring in will cost double the price on transfermarkt. They tend to undervalue - if anyone has a better idea, let me know.

3. Where there is a case for a player being available cheaper (like a release clause or an exiting contract), that’s fine but just use your common sense.

4. No transfers from Manchester Utd, Everton or City. Never gonna happen.
Edwards tends to get at least double transfermarkt values on selling our players as well though ;-)

Mascot88

Admin
Edwards tends to get at least double transfermarkt values on selling our players as well though ;-)
We’ll have to factor that in. £35m plus the club owners first born daughter for Origi it is.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to help sense check a squad list and values, I’d appreciate that.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Do we automatically add the £20m or so for Ings to the £100m war chest?

Will the squad need to be compliant with UEFA squad rules?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Not sure about doubling the transfermarkt values. For instance, they have Son as being worth £60m... I suspect in reality Spurs would settle for less then £120m!

In terms of outgoings, they list Origi as £10m, whereas we know in reality we're looking for at least double that for him based on prior windows.

Maybe 50% on top of transfermarkt values?

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Not sure about doubling the transfermarkt values. For instance, they have Son as being worth £60m... I suspect in reality Spurs would settle for less then £120m!

In terms of outgoings, they list Origi as £10m, whereas we know in reality we're looking for at least double that for him based on prior windows.

Think he meant selling, not buying.
See Coutinho for example.
Benteke went for around 100 times what he was worth too :tongue:

PS, nice to be able to use the second option in the poll without the worry of an infraction

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member

Those values also bear very little regard to the player's contractual situation. I seem to remember transfermarkt valuing Can at over £30m going into the last six months of his contract.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Maybe halve the transfermarkt value if a player is in the last year of his contract, transfermarkt value for 2 years left, then add 30% for every additional year on a player's contract thereafter?

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Think he meant selling, not buying.
See Coutinho for example.
Benteke went for around 100 times what he was worth too :tongue:

PS, nice to be able to use the second option in the poll without the worry of an infraction
Second point in his third post:

"2. Any players you bring in will cost double the price on transfermarkt."

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Starting a draft post with sales and remaining squad members, question to @Mascot88 - does the 23-man squad limit exclude U21s? If it's inclusive it's quite restrictive having to name three keepers out of the 23 (but being able to include Kelleher as a 'free' U21 helps massively)...

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Starting a draft post with sales and remaining squad members, question to @Mascot88 - does the 23-man squad limit exclude U21s? If it's inclusive it's quite restrictive having to name three keepers out of the 23 (but being able to include Kelleher as a 'free' U21 helps massively)...
That was one of the reasons for my UEFA compliant squad question. You have to name at least three keepers but only two of them have to be on the A list of senior players.

Mascot88

Admin
That was one of the reasons for my UEFA compliant squad question. You have to name at least three keepers but only two of them have to be on the A list of senior players.
What do you lads think? Don’t want it to get too serious/difficult.

I was just going to say name a 23 man squad, and if you want to name Hoever as your reserve right back you can.

Mascot88

Admin
If it helps, I was thinking most people’s number three keeper would have been Grabara or Kelleher.

vzok

Presumably to keep this realistic we can all go down the traditional FFP route and completely ignore all the rules and spend whatever we want.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
What do you lads think? Don’t want it to get too serious/difficult.

I was just going to say name a 23 man squad, and if you want to name Hoever as your reserve right back you can.
I think being able to name 23 senior players + additional U21 players is a big help. Having gone through selling all the players that make sense, I find otherwise I'm in a position of only being able to sign two or three new players, one of which is a GK to replace Migs.

But if you don't want people going nuts with it, maybe say 23 senior players + up to 3 U21s?