• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The first game I ever went to was....Prize for the winner

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Let’s see who can post the oldest so please add the date. I will somehow find a way to send a bottle of decent champagne to the winner provided you can provide some sort of proof or reasonable evidence so don’t be claiming something from the 1950s.

The thread closes on Christmas Eve or when it gently peters out, whichever is the earliest

Mine was Chelsea in the fa cup in 1978. We lost 4.2 I think. Clive Walker got a hat trick.

Last edited:

Redsi73

1987 Milk Cup Final versus Arsenal. 5th April 1987

Was 13.......taken by my mum ( man utd ) and dad ( Spurs ).

I still have the scarf at their house ( will post pics for proof lol )

I also mentioned this game in the game thread earlier, before this post came up :)

It was also the first time Ian Rush had scored for liverpool and been on the losing side ( 144 games )

waynejones31

TIA Youth Team

1978 Wrexham v Liverpool , my Dad used to watch Wrexham on a Friday night and Shankly’s teams On a Saturday standing in the main stand . A Dalglish hat trick stole my heart . First game I remember watching on TV was the 1977 European Cup final .

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Let’s see who can post the oldest so please add the date. I will somehow find a way to send a bottle of decent champagne to the winner provided you can provide some sort of proof or reasonable evidence so don’t be claiming something from the 1950s.

The thread closes on Christmas Eve or when it gently peters out, whichever is the earliest

Mine was Chelsea in the fa cup in 1978. We lost 4.2 I think. Clive Walker got a hat trick.
I can't help thinking that this competition favours the older members of the forum in which case maybe the prize should be a packet of Werther's Originals.

Can't beat @Commando. Mine was 26 December 1972 (Sheffield United 0 Liverpool 3), but I think I still have the programme somewhere as evidence if @Commando is unable to secure a sworn affadavit from his nephew that he was at the 1971 game.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
The very first match in the OP was from before I was born (just about), so I don't think I'm winning this one...

First match at Anfield was the 3-3 draw with Charlton in 1998.

Commando

Ad-free Member

1978 Wrexham v Liverpool , my Dad used to watch Wrexham on a Friday night and Shankly’s teams On a Saturday standing in the main stand . A Dalglish hat trick stole my heart . First game I remember watching on TV was the 1977 European Cup final .
That was in the league cup. I was at that game. Me and my nephew (again) went down to Wrexham on the train from Bidston. I used to do the Friday night/Saturday thing boy with Tranmere Rovers.

I can't help thinking that this competition favours the older members of the forum in which case maybe the prize should be a packet of Werther's Originals.

Can't beat @Commando. Mine was 26 December 1972 (Sheffield United 0 Liverpool 3), but I think I still have the programme somewhere as evidence if @Commando is unable to secure a sworn affadavit from his nephew that he was at the 1971 game.
It's quite easy to get my nephew to swear. I'm not sure about the affidavit though.

Red over the water

Liverpool v Norwich, 1980. We won 4-1. I remember Hansen whacking one in the top corner from about 25 yards. Also saw Justin Fashanu, fantastic player who sadly lost his way.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Mine is far later than most it was as crazy as last night mind....

Liverpool 6-3 Sion - 31st of October 1996, which means it is 23rd Anniversary.

The second was a 1-0 scrap against Burnley in the Cup a few months later, my feet were frozen, oddly I've felt that cold since at Anfield.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
February 1st 1991. Liverpool 3 Everton 1.
David speedie got a hatrick though one I think was wrongly given to molby.
I was also the first person to take a seat in the centenary stand as my mother had got lost so the stewards let me get to my seat before anyone else. I think it was Chelsea. Not sure who scored but I know it was a late winner as the Away fans started smashing up seats.

I have no proof of either of these claims as I try not to leave any evidence of me being anywhere in case a Terminator gets sent to hunt me down. Nobody knows what I look like and my name isn’t even FilthyBloke.

Commando

Ad-free Member
February 1st 1991. Liverpool 3 Everton 1.
David speedie got a hatrick though one I think was wrongly given to molby.
I was also the first person to take a seat in the centenary stand as my mother had got lost so the stewards let me get to my seat before anyone else. I think it was Chelsea. Not sure who scored but I know it was a late winner as the Away fans started smashing up seats.

I have no proof of either of these claims as I try not to leave any evidence of me being anywhere in case a Terminator gets sent to hunt me down. Nobody knows what I look like and my name isn’t even FilthyBloke.

I'm guessing not like your avatar. :D

epsomred

Ad-free Member
27th November 1971. West Ham at Anfield. I was Eleven at the time and went to the match with my nephew who is six months younger than me.
Can’t see anybody beating that. Let’s wait and see

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I can’t remember the exact game but it was in the late 1950s when we were in the 2nd Division as my Dad started taking me to Anfield when I was 5.

The first match I clearly remember was being at Anfield for the game against Southampton when we clinched promotion to the first division. There was no trophy present but someone gave Rowdy Yeats a home made version.

Last edited:

epsomred

Ad-free Member
I can’t remember the exact game but it was in the late 1950s when we were in the 2nd Division as my Dad started taking me to Anfield when I was 5.
Which makes you about 65 so plausible enough. I think we need slightly more detail though to beat #commando, this is a bottle of decent champers were talking about not some aspi spumanti shit from the late night garage.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Which makes you about 65 so plausible enough. I think we need slightly more detail though to beat #commando, this is a bottle of decent champers were talking about not some aspi spumanti shit from the late night garage.

Go on, give it to him. We can’t expect him to remember much from when he was five.

Commando

Ad-free Member
I think anyone who has ever been to Anfield should get a bottle of champagne.
Do you mean anyone in general or just forum members?

Fuck that, I’m not buying 50,000 bottles. Feel free to start your own thread though.
It could be a whole lot more than 50,000 if it's not just forum members that @FilthyBloke is meaning.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
November 86 v Coventry in the league cup. Win 3-1. Jan Molby hat trick. I was 7 and my folks brought me. The crowd were singing who's the bastard in the black at the ref after upsetting us when my dear late mother turned to me and my dad and said, that's terrible that they're singing that (about a Coventry player). When by dad had stopped laughing he set her straight.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Do you mean anyone in general or just forum members?

It could be a whole lot more than 50,000 if it's not just forum members that @FilthyBloke is meaning.
I’m just looking out for @epsomred man. His post is clearly ageist and discriminates against anyone born after 1975. The moderators are probably ready to kick him off this forum forever.
If he Sends me a bottle of champagne and I’ll have a word with them. I’ll explain it was just a misunderstanding.
He meant no harm.

Going back to his insulting post though, I wonder how many folks have been to landmark games?
Kennys first/last game? First game of the seated Kop? That champions league game played on 9/11?

Looking at the threads above I find it amazing that folk went to watch Liverpool before England won the World Cup.

Last edited:

epsomred

Ad-free Member
Ha ha. I’ll risk it thanks. I think it’s only a matter of time anyway.

My first landmark game was Barnes and Beardsley first game away at Highbury. Boiling hot day, massed standing in the away end (pre Hillsborough) and my then wife fainted in the heat. Had to carry her out and missed the whole of the second half. We split up soon afterwards for unrelated reasons although she still appears in my dreams sometimes.