• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The first time you watched the reds.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
I was wondering when was the first time anyone had watched the reds on tv or also, the first time they may have been lucky enough to see us play in a stadium?
As for me, I can just about recall my mum shouting through the hatch, to tell me that, 'Liverpool are on Andrew' and as I dashed into the living room I saw the goals from Rome in 77! Then I recall watching us demolish CSKA Sofia 5-1 and my mum saying to me and my brother - 'Well, if you can't beat them - join them' , laughing!

As for seeing the boys for real, it was at Anfield in 1986, v Charlton, 2-0 and Rushie and Molby scored right in front of me - un-forgettable...

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I was wondering when was the first time anyone had watched the reds on tv or also, the first time they may have been lucky enough to see us play in a stadium?
As for me, I can just about recall my mum shouting through the hatch, to tell me that, 'Liverpool are on Andrew' and as I dashed into the living room I saw the goals from Rome in 77! Then I recall watching us demolish CSKA Sofia 5-1 and my mum saying to me and my brother - 'Well, if you can't beat them - join them' , laughing!

As for seeing the boys for real, it was at Anfield in 1986, v Charlton, 2-0 and Rushie and Molby scored right in front of me - un-forgettable...

Rome 77 on tv was the very first time seeing LFC for me aswell,first game at Anfield was 1988/89 for my birthday,a 5-1 win v Sheffield Wednesday,Beardsley x2,McMahon,Houghton and Barnes scored on the day.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
First time I saw them on TV, March of 06, it was a 3-1 win over Everton. I vaguely remember a red card somewhere in there and I think Cisse and Crouch scored. I'll have to look this up.

First time at Anfield was a fairly boring 0-0 draw to Stoke at the tail end of 2018 season.

(edit) had to track the highlights down. It was a Neville own goal and 2 brilliant strikes by Luis Garcia and Kewell. Damn that Garcia chip made me remember why he was my first favorite Liverpool player.

Last edited:

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
First time I saw them on TV, March of 06, it was a 3-1 win over Everton. I vaguely remember a red card somewhere in there and I think Cisse and Crouch scored. I'll have to look this up.

First time at Anfield was a fairly boring 0-0 draw to Stoke at the tail end of 2018 season.

(edit) had to track the highlights down. It was a Neville own goal and 2 brilliant strikes by Luis Garcia and Kewell. Damn that Garcia chip made me remember why he was my first favorite Liverpool player.
Yes, Luis was frustrating at times but I loved his goals - esp that one v Chelsea in the same season - it’s still travelling in space now!!!

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
First match on TV: December 2000, United v Liverpool 0-1 (Murphy, first of his 3 Old Toilet winners!).
First match live: July 2009, Rapid Vienna v Liverpool. Friendly, Rapid's 115th club anniversary, we lost 1-0.
First match at Anfield: May 2015, Liverpool v Palace. Stevie's final game at Anfield, we lost 1-3.

So yeah... was 10 when I started following/supporting the club. Took me a while to get to see them live and get to Anfield. Incredible emotions when it all happened for the first time. Been to more games lately in last years, hopefully many more to come while I'm alive!

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I honestly can't remember the first match I saw on TV, would have been in the mid-90s sometime.

The first game I attended at Anfield was v Charlton (google tells me it was this one, 1998: https://www.skysports.com/football/liverpool-vs-charlton/277780).

Finished 3-3, Berger, who was one of my favourites at the time, scored one of his long-range screamers, while Fowler (who was my favourite) on his comeback from injury also scored. Even though we didn't win I remember leaving in pretty high spirits.

Incognito

The Normal One
First game on TV was community shield in 06 when I think Risse scored a screamer. Had only seen some videos of Gerrard screamers and started liking the reds.

Found it. Wow! had totally forgotten the goal.

First game live in real: I'll update this post one day :)

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
I remember watching them around 89. We had just moved to a new neighborhood to start the school year, I was entering 9th grade in Sept and my parents bought a second TV which was in the den next to my bedroom on the main floor. Soccer Saturdays with Graham Leggat. Couldn't identify any of the games.

Watched what I could when I was traveling Aussie, 03-04. Friend I met there was a Pompey and we watched a few matches on TV after the backpacker tournaments at Scruffys in Sydney.

Most memorable was Flanagan's debut vs United. First match I really remember specifically watching it and haven't really turned back since.

Will never forget Apr26 2019. Front row of the Kop, 5-0

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
I honestly can't remember the first match I saw on TV, would have been in the mid-90s sometime.

The first game I attended at Anfield was v Charlton (google tells me it was this one, 1998: https://www.skysports.com/football/liverpool-vs-charlton/277780).

Finished 3-3, Berger, who was one of my favourites at the time, scored one of his long-range screamers, while Fowler (who was my favourite) on his comeback from injury also scored. Even though we didn't win I remember leaving in pretty high spirits.
I loved Berger too - especially his Derby winner; what a match where Stevie knocked2 off the line and Robbie sniffed the line!! That's all Berger did was score those screamers and that free-kick at OT. Loved him!

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
I loved Berger too - especially his Derby winner; what a match where Stevie knocked2 off the line and Robbie sniffed the line!! That's all Berger did was score those screamers and that free-kick at OT. Loved him!
Oh and that pass to Owen to send him on his way to one of the goals v Arsenal to win the cup!

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
2006 FA cup finals.
Heard a lot about Gerrard, curiosity made me watch, and the rest is history.
Newcastle game on 30.12.2011 will forever be my favourite game and memory. Was at Anfield road end witnessed Steve G scoring.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
First time on TV was 1971 FA Cup final vs Arsenal, lost 2-1 and Charlie George broke my heart.
First time live was a pre season friendly in Dublin around 79/80. First time in Anfield was vs Spurs around 1985.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
First game on tv was against Nottingham forest in the 80s.
First game at Anfield was against Everton. David speedie got a couple.
First away game was at high field road, Coventry... where I think Heskey scored his first goal for us.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
First game on TV was community shield in 06 when I think Risse scored a screamer. Had only seen some videos of Gerrard screamers and started liking the reds.

Found it. Wow! had totally forgotten the goal.

First game live in real: I'll update this post one day
And in the process shows Terry his own arse! Perfect. Wonderful goal, really liked Riise, but for some his defensive positioning lacked.

Herb

First game I went to was Southampton away sat in the home end with my dad. Was not a great experience at all really for a few reasons.

Firstly I don’t remember much about the action on the pitch other than the fact we played shite and lost 2-0 with Beattie scoring a penalty and Riise scoring an own goal by somehow looping a header over Dudek. I may be misremembering this but I think they had a big screen in the ground at the time and it was just focused on Riise for what felt like ages after who had turned a wonderful shade of red.

My main memories of the game unfortunately revolve around some of the behaviour and language coming from around us by a small minority aimed towards Heskey and Anelka who were up front for us on the day. 9 year old me hadn’t heard those kind of words before or been in an environment where that kind of anger was being spewed so yeah, I remember feeling pretty scared and it was years before my parents felt comfortable taking me to a game again.

RedYank

Late comer to proper footy--spent my youth getting beat about in American football, and then a longtime follower on TV and attending.

Several years ago, a mate encouraged me to watch this thing called the English Premier League on TV. Early Saturday mornings with coffee, made sense--let's see what we have here. Became totally addicted to the sport. Think I began noticing LFC in early 2016 (just guessing). Really liked this cat Milner, and the manager was a lively sort. But what really nabbed LFC for me, was the energy of Anfield--you could feel it thousands of miles away on the telly. Became a disciple, read everything about the club, and there you go!

Have attended friendlies two straight years: Ann Arbor (vs Utd) 2018, and South Bend (Dortmund) 2019.

Yet to get to Anfield, but for certain, I one day will! :well done: