• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Goalkeeper conundrum

Who would you WANT LFC to sign ?

• Danjiel Subasic (Monaco)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rui Patricio (S.Lisbon)

• Diego Alves ( Valencia)

• Total voters

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Ideas to solve it ?

- Simon Mignolet/Lorius Karius to go with a replacement keeper being brought in.

- Giving Danny Ward a chance as the number 2 keeper and starting him in domestic cup ties

- finally who to hire , who are the keepers that Liverpool would be realistically looking at hiring ? No wish lists like donnarumma etc etc , just the ones who can come in and immediately be an improvement.

- worst case that we don't find a keeper, do we stick around with Simon for one more year to see how he performs with a revamped defense ?

Apologies if this thread is irrelevant to this forum.

John Barnes

Ideas to solve it ?

- Simon Mignolet/Lorius Karius to go with a replacement keeper being brought in.

- Giving Danny Ward a chance as the number 2 keeper and starting him in domestic cup ties

- finally who to hire , who are the keepers that Liverpool would be realistically looking at hiring ? No wish lists like donnarumma etc etc , just the ones who can come in and immediately be an improvement.

- worst case that we don't find a keeper, do we stick around with Simon for one more year to see how he performs with a revamped defense ?

Bernd Leno from Leverkusen decent keeper already and has potential to be a decent international, realistically he is one we can get too

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Simple. Take John Achterberg out behind the sheds and threaten to beat him with a phone book until he leaves.

The last decent goalkeeper we had was Reina, and his form fell off a cliff when Xavi Valero left and was replaced by this fella. Haven’t had a decent keeper since.

kennyrush

Ideas to solve it ?

Danny Ward was an outstanding keeper during his spell at Aberdeen. Why not give him a go? Nothing to lose.

SithBaare

Danny Ward was an outstanding keeper during his spell at Aberdeen. Why not give him a go? Nothing to lose.
The wages that karius / mignolet are on would stop that I reckon. Getting ward in as a second choice would need us to be free of one if not both.

I'd recommend keeping mignolet as no 1 , ward as no 2 and loaning karius to a club where there's not that much of attention for a season. That is if we don't get a first choice keeper like Leno etc.

If we get a first choice keeper , promote ward as no 2 to play fa cup and about 12 premier league matches. , sell Simon out and keep karius as a no 3 to play the league cup matches

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
Sell all three of Mignolet, Karius and Ward. The Belgian obviously isn’t good enough, yet Klopp hasn’t given either of the other pair an extended run in the team, which shows how much he rates them.

Buy the best keeper possible and have Kamil Grabara as his understudy.

Sorted.

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
Some posters demand for Ward instead of Migs or Karius. Klopp and his staff see their keepers every day in training.
They will have their reasons why Ward isn’t between the sticks ahead of Migs and Karius.
And I think they will know better than us why he doesn’t get a game.
I also believe Leno isn’t the solution. But rather I would try to sign Trapp, though I think he isn’t much better than what we have already. It’s a difficult endeavor to sign a keeper above the class of Migs and Karius.

SithBaare

Some posters demand for Ward instead of Migs or Karius. Klopp and his staff see their keepers every day in training.
They will have their reasons why Ward isn’t between the sticks ahead of Migs and Karius.
And I think they will know better than us why he doesn’t get a game.
I also believe Leno isn’t the solution. But rather I would try to sign Trapp, though I think he isn’t much better than what we have already. It’s a difficult endeavor to sign a keeper above the class of Migs and Karius.
Trapp isnt a significant upgrade over Simon and karius.

Of the two , mignolet gives me slightly more confidence with respect to his shot stopping skills. With the signing of Virgil , hopefully we end up conceding less from set pieces and get the simple mistakes out.

I'd like to believe klopp saying that the cheap goals being conceded is more because of individual mistakes rather than zonal marking being an issue though.

kwala

TIA Regular
More of a chasm than a conundrum.

We badly need a keeper who is less prone to errors and can command his box.

Mignolet has plateaued with us. There has been zero improvement since the day he arrived. He has had good spells and bad spells throughout.

Karius looks like he is cut from the same cloth as Mignolet. Very unconvinced by him up to this point, but he is still young for a keeper.

I would love to say throw Danny Ward in, he can't be any worse or more error prone than the others, but when? It is a big risk! Ufc Everton in the cup isn't a great game to try things out in. Neither is the knockout rounds of the champions league. Whilst we are scrapping for 4th doesn't look great either.

But, a decision needs making for sure. I'd say not much will change until the summer. I think Mignolet is finished come summer, so we either stick with Karius (he is still young for a keeper), Give Ward a go, or bring in a new Keeper. Keeping things as they are is not an option.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I have an idea to solve this problem. His name is Oblak. Jan Oblak.

I hope and think we should go all out for this man in the Summer.Get this position sorted once and for all.Much like Juventus did with Buffon, break the bank and get the position sorted for the next decade+.

Make him the most expensive goalkeeper. Make another massive statement. That guy is better than De Gea.If unobtainable we could try for Handanovic although he is getting on a bit now, would still be a massive improvement on our 'keepers in my opinion.

Last edited:

Kanonkop

Sell all three of Mignolet, Karius and Ward. The Belgian obviously isn’t good enough, yet Klopp hasn’t given either of the other pair an extended run in the team, which shows how much he rates them.

Buy the best keeper possible and have Kamil Grabara as his understudy.

Sorted.
Yes - a solid element of truth and common sense here. Migs is fallible...yet keeps the other two out of the team. The logical deduction then is that none of them are good enough.

But, is it as simple as that? Is Klopp sticking with Migs for this season out of a sense of loyalty, stability etc. If Klopp didn't see a future for Karius, would he be featuring in the CL matches? The big conundrum for me is Ward. Will be interesting to see if he plays in the FA Cup OR goes out on loan again.

Will we see radical changes in the summer that may/may not include the promotion of Karius and/or Ward or do we go out and spend whatever it takes to buy a world class GK? That to me is are the two viable scenarios as continuing with Migs most certainly isn't.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It is a conundrum.

1st we have the fact that Klopp says he draws up a contract of good faith with his players on a year by year basis. He has Mignolet as league, Karius as Europe (and back up in league) and Ward as domestic cup choices. Unless something goes drastically wrong I doubt Klopp will significantly change things. Mignolet may receive slightly more rests than he needs maybe so Karius can play more.

2nd Klopp is unlikely to abandon Karius this soon, unless he does something spectacularly wrong I expect him to be 1st choice in the League next season.

So what I'd be looking at is;

1 Karius play in Europe and a few league games to see if we are going to be able to rely on him.

2 Assuming we can or don't know we can't Karius becomes our number 1 choice next year. Mignolet is not the type to be an experienced keeper mentoring a young keeper and from past behaviour doesn't seem like he'd be happy to be number 2 choice either so sell him and bring in that experienced keeper to be a mentor to Karius. Reina would be my choice, maybe Muslera or Handanovic would be alternatives. The new player would play a lot but may be a route into coaching too.

3 If Karius can't be trusted by the summer there's no point keeping him as number 2 so I'd look to move him on and bring in Mattia Perin or (My choice) Sergio Rico. Seen Alisson mentioned as the right kind of keeper too. We need the right kind of sweeper keeper to allow us to play a high line and distribute from the back. If it's not Karius it needs to be the right type we buy.

4 Ward is almost certainly not going to get enough game play to allow us to know we can trust him to be number 1 choice next season and if we are using Karius or buying a young starter we will need an experienced 2nd choice. Get him on a long term contract and loan him somewhere decent (that play the right way and at a decent level) for a year with a second year option built in. By then the older mentor keeper should be moving on or into coaching and our number 1 should be established so Ward, if it's gone well, can come back to be our 2nd choice.

5 We will need a third choice keeper but if we have say Karius or Rico or someone backed up by someone like Reina our third keeper could be a younger prospect from the academy like Grabara. If we do go for two of the three we currently have (Karius backed up by Ward for instance) then we need an older head like when we brought Manninger in.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Easy to forget that this is a major problem area for us because we concede so few shots generally it's possible for a keeper to seem decent without having to do much. Also Mignolet is the sort of keeper who can have a good run and look quite impressive, like the end of last season. His performance against Stoke in the run in was one of the best individual performances of the whole season and probably the most crucial. Ultimately with him you know he will let us down. He's not a big game player. I think he gets intimidated easily. If JK was completely convinced about Karius he'd be playing every game now but he's not.

Others will know more about keepers that might improve us than me but it's not an area we should be taking any chances in and we'll need to spend big on a finished product. The way things are shaping up our squad is going to be awesome next season and if we go into it with either Karius or Mignolet as our keeper they'll be by far the weakest link. It will stand out a mile.

Flobs

FADA
Don't forget Bogdan!
I suppose we will just run his contract down.
Our recruitment hasn't been anything to shout home about but when it comes to GK's we hit rock bottom.
A lot of blame must go on our GK coach as to get in Bogdan he must have been sending signals that Mignolet was/is good enough. I don't feel there is any point solving the problem of GK until we solve the underlying problem.

Steve_LFC

No conundrum. Buy a top goalie.(summer)... Let the rest fight for backup spot. They have till end of season. Losing 2 GKs are sold.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
con¦un|drum
[kəˈnʌndrəm]
NOUN
  1. a confusing and difficult problem or question:

Not really a conundrum is it?

None are good enough, get rid.
And while we're in the spending mood, get rid of Matip, Klavan and Lovren.
Gomez and VVD as our main CB's, and buy a good GK and 2 decent back up CB's.

Only then will we have a tilt at a title challenge.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Mick is on the money for mine.
Get shot of Achterberg and bring I someone who can improve the lads.
For mine Migs has run his race,Idon’t think Karius has been given enough time so I doubt he’s going anywhere just yet.
Ward,we’ve seen little enough of,I’d not be shipping him out either,at the minute.
I’d look at bringing in a class act like Reina as a back up and GK coach,give these two lads some time, and decent coaching..
There doesn’t seem to be a lot around that is achievable and if we did bring in a #1,who knows whether Karius and Ward might see the writing on the wall,and get itchy feet too.They are both worth holding.

melbournered

Simple. Take John Achterberg out behind the sheds and threaten to beat him with a phone book until he leaves.

The last decent goalkeeper we had was Reina, and his form fell off a cliff when Xavi Valero left and was replaced by this fella. Haven’t had a decent keeper since.
Klopp had the opportunity to bring his own people when he came in. Bluvac, Krawietz, a world class nutritonist etc. He would have reviewed the incumbent staff at that time as well. He elected to retain Achterberg. We don't what goes on in the background. We aren't privy as to what happens at training sessions, we don't hear what is discussed in meetings.After 2 years i can only conclude that Klopp is satisfied with the work that Achterberg is doing. At the end of the day, Achterberg can only work with what he's have got. No coach could have prevented that pissweak effort by Mignolet for that 2nd goal we conceded against Arsenal. That is a coach killer.
The main issue as to why we haven't had a decent keeper since Reina, is because we bloody well haven't bought one.
Having said all that,I am actually playing devils advocate on this, because i seen on this forum ( and others) people saying it's Achterberg's fault, when in reality nobody really knows.

bukowski

The saint Etienne one. I think we spell it like this. Maybe is spelled wrong but I mean the basic saint Etienne keeper.

Flobs

FADA
Having said all that,I am actually playing devils advocate on this, because i seen on this forum ( and others) people saying it's Achterberg's fault, when in reality nobody really knows
He is ultimately responsable for our GK's. His communication with other staff (i.e Klopp) on GK form and fitness and his evaluation of potential buys is paramount. He is clearly failing us in all departments including GK coaching which is his primary job. Fault is not the word i would use he is just not fulfilling his role.

Flobs

FADA
The saint Etienne one. I think we spell it like this. Maybe is spelled wrong but I mean the basic saint Etienne keeper.
Ruffier, yes a very good GK who is generally underrated and probably at his peak. I mention him every time GK's come up. The thing is he wouldn't be considered as the top class keeper we need (though he is very close to that level). Then we have to ask 'should we aim a bit higher'? with the cost and difficulty to obtain that would entail. For example Oblak the type of keeper that would give the fans a boost (like the VVD deal has done) getting someone well known and considered world class.

bukowski

Ruffier, yes a very good GK who is generally underrated and probably at his peak. I mention him every time GK's come up. The thing is he wouldn't be considered as the top class keeper we need (though he is very close to that level). Then we have to ask 'should we aim a bit higher'? with the cost and difficulty to obtain that would entail. For example Oblak the type of keeper that would give the fans a boost (like the VVD deal has done) getting someone well known and considered world class.
I am not sure if klopp is willing to give a huge amount for a goalie as simon is not that bad

bukowski

He's fucking awful.
Has a few good games, but the inevitable shitness always returns.
For sure is not the one that will give us the title but is not the main problem, is a average goalie