• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Goalkeeper conundrum

Who would you WANT LFC to sign ?

• Danjiel Subasic (Monaco)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rui Patricio (S.Lisbon)

• Diego Alves ( Valencia)

• Total voters

Dave-D

Wardy is still here. He needs to do a lot of things that will make him better but he is here and he is still in our minds.

"He is a good goalkeeper, he has to be even better in the future. We have a good situation – a healthy situation, if you want.

"It is not that we want these discussions in public if they are there about goalkeepers. It is not a case of 'get somebody else'. It is about getting the right solution and it's possible that the right solution is one that we already have here."

This is what I don’t get about Ward, he needs game to get better or are Liverpool completely changing the way he plays and making sure he’s 100% happy playing that way then loaning him out

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Make a bid for Pope. He's more composed and confident than either of our keepers and he's not even first choice at Burnley.

Fuck me.

20ATHLONE

What are the thoughts around Willy Caballero? I watched the Chelsea v Brighton today.... he looked way better than anything we have. Just 1 game, And for the life of me I cannot remember what it was like when he was first choice at city

20ATHLONE

Were you watching it while drunk? He was all over the place.
commanded the area well, made several saves, came out well. Now I did take 15 minutes for a crap during the 2nd half, so perhaps he was poor during that period

[email protected]

What are the thoughts around Willy Caballero? I watched the Chelsea v Brighton today.... he looked way better than anything we have. Just 1 game, And for the life of me I cannot remember what it was like when he was first choice at city
I watched the first half. He should have been called for a penalty. Came out for a cross and shat the bed and was saved by an offside flag from the rebound. Made an excellent reaction save from a header. All in all, a performance very much like what we're used to. As Klopp said, we watch our goalkeepers and highlight every single lapse then watch other goalies who do the same things and make a case for buying him.

20ATHLONE

I watched the first half. He should have been called for a penalty. Came out for a cross and shat the bed and was saved by an offside flag from the rebound. Made an excellent reaction save from a header. All in all, a performance very much like what we're used to. As Klopp said, we watch our goalkeepers and highlight every single lapse then watch other goalies who do the same things and make a case for buying him.
Yep, Klopp is dead accurate about that. All fans do it

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
Yep, Klopp is dead accurate about that. All fans do it
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: goalkeepers get the rough end of the stick.

A keeper can make twenty saves in a match but let one shot slip through his fingers and he’s a villain.

A striker can miss twenty chances in a match but pop up with the winning goal in stoppage time and he’s the hero.

Just like the Chewbacca defence: it does not make sense.

Limiescouse

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: goalkeepers get the rough end of the stick.

A keeper can make twenty saves in a match but let one shot slip through his fingers and he’s a villain.

A striker can miss twenty chances in a match but pop up with the winning goal in stoppage time and he’s the hero.
I think it is more pathological than that. When we score it is because we are great. When they score it is because we are shit. Therefore, it doesnt even have to be a mistake for the keeper to get it in the neck, yet we can have put three goals past their keeper at the other end, for none of which he covered himself in glory, and we can somehow end the game rating their guy better than ours.

20ATHLONE

I think it is more pathological than that. When we score it is because we are great. When they score it is because we are shit. Therefore, it doesnt even have to be a mistake for the keeper to get it in the neck, yet we can have put three goals past their keeper at the other end, for none of which he covered himself in glory, and we can somehow end the game rating their guy better than ours.
Agree with you both but still pretty sure our keepers stink up the place lol

Flobs

FADA
I can not make head or tail of what Klopp is going on about. Is it Double Dutch?

This is becoming a frightening aspect of Klopp's tenure and character!

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
Two week :shocked:
He’s only had a handful of game this season and now he’s got two weeks to claim the starting spot or he’s sold at the end of the season. Knee jerk reaction right there.
He needs a run of at least ten straight games and to be told he’ll get those games and then a decision could be made not three game.
I’m saying it needs to be considered that this is happening during a transfer window. And he hasn’t had only two weeks. He’s played all CL and Cup games if I’m not mistaken and has played various matches in the league.
These two weeks aren’t his first chance. They MIGHT be his last chance.

Kanonkop

I disagree. No one expects any keeper to save everything. However, what grates is repeated basic errors. I.E. fcukups that shouldn't be happening yet happen time after time after time.

Dave-D

I’m saying it needs to be considered that this is happening during a transfer window. And he hasn’t had only two weeks. He’s played all CL and Cup games if I’m not mistaken and has played various matches in the league.
Liverpool will not purchase a goalkeeper during the January transfer window as no team will sell their first choice keeper.
Karius has only ever had one extended period in the side and that was last season which was also his first season, no one in their right mind would now give him two weeks to decide his future at the club.
Goalkeepers need an extended run in the first team not in and out of the team.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Liverpool will not purchase a goalkeeper during the January transfer window as no team will sell their first choice keeper.
Karius has only ever had one extended period in the side and that was last season which was also his first season, no one in their right mind would now give him two weeks to decide his future at the club.
Goalkeepers need an extended run in the first team not in and out of the team.
Jurgen has opted for Karius and we will not be signing a new keeper or anyone else in this transfer window. We will all have to hope Karius gets it all together and gets to become the keeper Jurgen believed him to be. :well done:

Last edited:

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Reading between the lines I reckon Mignolet is finished and Karius has until the summer to show he is up to the task. If Karius doesn't step up he will join Mignolet on the way out unless he fancies being 2nd choice whomever is bought. Its a huge gamble by Klopp but I have to admire his willingness to give Karius another decent run to show he can make it. If we lauded his persistence with Moreno maybe we should accept he sees enough in Karius to think he could up his game given time. If we fail to get top 4 because of it we will all look at it differently though, Klopp included I reckon. My gut feeling is that Karius wont sustain the pressure and wont make it here but at least he cannot say he wasn't given the chance. Its now or never time.
I dont think Ward will get the chance here at all and I cant see him here next season either.

Kanonkop

Reading between the lines I reckon Mignolet is finished and Karius has until the summer to show he is up to the task. If Karius doesn't step up he will join Mignolet on the way out unless he fancies being 2nd choice whomever is bought. Its a huge gamble by Klopp but I have to admire his willingness to give Karius another decent run to show he can make it. If we lauded his persistence with Moreno maybe we should accept he sees enough in Karius to think he could up his game given time. If we fail to get top 4 because of it we will all look at it differently though, Klopp included I reckon. My gut feeling is that Karius wont sustain the pressure and wont make it here but at least he cannot say he wasn't given the chance. Its now or never time.
I dont think Ward will get the chance here at all and I cant see him here next season either.
I think it's clear Karius now has the chance to prove himself but if he repeatedly fails/stutters/etc. then I doubt Klopp perseveres with him until the end of the season just for the sake of it.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
My only concern is that Achtenberg has some sort of role in identifying keepers.. probably why Butland is on our list.. can see it being like Achtenberg pushing for Butland and the committee pushing for Alisson.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I think it's clear Karius now has the chance to prove himself but if he repeatedly fails/stutters/etc. then I doubt Klopp perseveres with him until the end of the season just for the sake of it.
That's more than possible but what does he do then? Stick Mignolet back in or turn to Ward? I don't see this ending well for Jurgen or either Keeper. Its a huge gamble to take at this stage of the season. VVD may stiffen it up at the back which would help of course regardless of who's between the posts.

Kanonkop

That's more than possible but what does he do then? Stick Mignolet back in or turn to Ward? I don't see this ending well for Jurgen or either Keeper. Its a huge gamble to take at this stage of the season. VVD may stiffen it up at the back which would help of course regardless of who's between the posts.
Yes - that's the big dilemma isn't it. I suspect that if Karius buggers it up sufficiently to be dropped then its Migs back between the sticks for the rest of the season and goodbye to both in the summer.

Ward is a strange one. Whenever I have seen him play he has looked the best of the three, (admittedly - a small sample size)...but clearly, must be doing something wrong not to get a sniff. Migs seems to be favoured as the reserve to Karius now so Ward is a definite #3 choice it seems.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Yes - that's the big dilemma isn't it. I suspect that if Karius buggers it up sufficiently to be dropped then its Migs back between the sticks for the rest of the season and goodbye to both in the summer.

Ward is a strange one. Whenever I have seen him play he has looked the best of the three, (admittedly - a small sample size)...but clearly, must be doing something wrong not to get a sniff. Migs seems to be favoured as the reserve to Karius now so Ward is a definite #3 choice it seems.
Its a bit of a puzzle as to why Ward hasn't been given a try at least. Klopp sees him daily in training so he must think he's not up to the required standard. In any case Jurgen has nailed his colours frimly to Karius's mast so he'd better perform.
I'm hoping the VVD effect and our attacking game means it may not make much difference who plays in goal.
In fairness to Klopp his signings have been generally fantastic and he has stuck by Moreno and coached him to improve his game so maybe Karius may rise to the challenge. I'd doubt he's good enough but I don't see him in training.
Either way its "shit or get off the pot time" for Karius now.

Kanonkop

I hope Karius proves us all wrong but I suspects He will be joining Migs in the departure lounge this summer with an established world class keeper coming in. Whilst he may not impress sufficiently to secure the role permanently, I doubt ti will have much bearing on our season whether it is him or Migs that plays given that we don't have an world class alternative option to play.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
From what I've heard, Oblak doesn't want to leave Madrid. He's trying to get his contract extended.
Every player has a price.

Everything was also fine and dandy according to Coutinho, extended his contract and loved being here, til "his" club came calling.

And of course Oblak want to stay at Madrid, he likely looked at Donnarumma and thought hell no not making that mistake. Ath. Madrid fans doesn't come about as a forgiven lot :tongue:

William Clarke

Its a bit of a puzzle as to why Ward hasn't been given a try at least. Klopp sees him daily in training so he must think he's not up to the required standard. In any case Jurgen has nailed his colours frimly to Karius's mast so he'd better perform.
I'm hoping the VVD effect and our attacking game means it may not make much difference who plays in goal.
In fairness to Klopp his signings have been generally fantastic and he has stuck by Moreno and coached him to improve his game so maybe Karius may rise to the challenge. I'd doubt he's good enough but I don't see him in training.
Either way its "shit or get off the pot time" for Karius now.
You are stating that Karius could improve like Moreno because of Klopp's coaching, but as we all know it's Achterberg who coaches the keepers. :((

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
:shocked:... I thought he was terrible. He even committed a pen that wasn't called.

William Clarke

:shocked:... I thought he was terrible. He even committed a pen that wasn't called.
:rolleyes: I didn't think he was that good either, and he's not Citeh's No.2 for no reason. His only redeeming feature is that he's pretty decent at saving penalties, but you'd want more than that in a keeper. I think Jurgen will make the decision on the keeper position in the summer. :think:

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
You are stating that Karius could improve like Moreno because of Klopp's coaching, but as we all know it's Achterberg who coaches the keepers. :((
If you read that again I didn't say that Klopp would coach Karius at all. I said he had improved Moreno and that Karius might rise to the challenge (of being 1st choice). The point I was making was that Klopp has tended to stick with players and allow them to develop and improve. (as was his reputation at Dortmund)
Regardless do you think Klopp would not see or watch the keepers train? or that he would have no input into what they do daily? I'd highly doubt that.

William Clarke

If you read that again I didn't say that Klopp would coach Karius at all. I said he had improved Moreno and that Karius might rise to the challenge (of being 1st choice). The point I was making was that Klopp has tended to stick with players and allow them to develop and improve. (as was his reputation at Dortmund)
Regardless do you think Klopp would not see or watch the keepers train? or that he would have no input into what they do daily? I'd highly doubt that.
Point taken, T.C.B., I carried on reading your sentence believing Klopp's coaching of Moreno would carry over on to his coaching of Karius. Apologies, mate, I understand what you're getting at now.
:think: :well done:
I also liked your "shit or get off the pot" Couldn't have put it better myself.