• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The Goalkeeper conundrum

Who would you WANT LFC to sign ?

• Danjiel Subasic (Monaco)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rui Patricio (S.Lisbon)

• Diego Alves ( Valencia)

• Total voters

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Especially strange that he pulled out of a full on dive when it was his fingertip touch that pushed Arnautovic's lob on to the bar earlier

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Especially strange that he pulled out of a full on dive when it was his fingertip touch that pushed Arnautovic's lob on to the bar earlier
I think he misjudged the width of the damn goal post.

Limiescouse

No surprise that he has a defender in front of him that plays with more authority that boosts his confidence. I still think if he stretched for it, he could have stopped Antonio's goal. He is alright, I don't think he's the answer just yet.
Since he has come back in he has been near perfect. The only criticisms that could be made of him require standards to be set that no one can live up to (see Chelsea's goal today).

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
No surprise that he has a defender in front of him that plays with more authority that boosts his confidence. I still think if he stretched for it, he could have stopped Antonio's goal. He is alright, I don't think he's the answer just yet.
You’re right Eddie, Karius is playing with more confidence at the moment. I’m with you, it’s due to VvD.
I don’t share your opinion concerning Antonio’s goal. Karius had first to cover the short post. That did he well, as did Antonio with his shot into the bottom corner of the far post. From my point of view he couldn’t do much to stop the shot.
It remains to be seen wether Karius will be worth to wear our number one shirt next season. I don’t think Klopp will go for a new GK if Karius performs decent. In Dortmund Weidenfeller was a decent GK, but he wasn’t outstanding imo.

Flobs

FADA
We are playing better football overall. No one should not forget that Mignolet had some good strings of games with us and pull off some wonderful saves. However his overall nervousness always showed through. This is what I still see with Karius, he is keeping the goal fairly well and pulling off a few saves, that we haven't seen in a while, yet he is still making errors even if they haven't cost us too much for the moment. I particularly notice his poor positioning at times that causes him, like Mignolet, to be in 'no mans land. In such positions he is left dithering when if he had started in a better position he would be able to 'do the right thing'. It's these situations, similar to Mignolet, where he hesitates to come out. In Karius case in general he is too far out from his goal line so can not close down (in Mignolet's case it was often that he was too close to his line, for his speed and reaction, starts coming out then stops. Karius has found himself a few times where he couldn't come out giving the striker the initiative.
He still looks nervous to me however I am prepared to give him some time now mainly because we are on a good run and I want that to continue.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
You’re right Eddie, Karius is playing with more confidence at the moment. I’m with you, it’s due to VvD.
I don’t share your opinion concerning Antonio’s goal. Karius had first to cover the short post. That did he well, as did Antonio with his shot into the bottom corner of the far post. From my point of view he couldn’t do much to stop the shot.
It remains to be seen wether Karius will be worth to wear our number one shirt next season. I don’t think Klopp will go for a new GK if Karius performs decent. In Dortmund Weidenfeller was a decent GK, but he wasn’t outstanding imo.
We probably don't need a outstanding GK. We can do with a decent one like Weidenfeller for Dortmund or Ederson for City. A Decent GK who keeps out most of the trouble would be fine.

NYRhockey

This. Antonio's goal went off the base of the post and in, a great finish and not a shot a goalie would be expected to stop. As you mention, his first job is to cover the near post.

It's not uncommon that whenever we give up a goal it's because our goalie made an error, but on goals like the one Ox scored on Ederson, where the ball did not even hit the side net, let alone off the post and in like Antonio's, no one makes any mention of it being Ederson's error.

NYRhockey

Since he has come back in he has been near perfect. The only criticisms that could be made of him require standards to be set that no one can live up to (see Chelsea's goal today).
Agreed. Like i said in another post a few days ago: If this is Karius' level going forward, we'll have one of the best GK's in the league. He has been very good and you can see how comfortable our D is with him. His style of play really suits us.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
Karius doing his bit to solve the issue. More performances like this are needed though
he's been performing well for awhile actually and he gets more confident the more matches he plays in a row. every game he progresses it seems like. we have only lost one match the entire season with him starting. The drama about him not being good enough has really been maybe a bit overblown and premature as this season he has really not proven the people who say that to be right yet. it seems around the time VVD and him start in there together . it started to calm the panic situations together.. this is also around the same time klopp named karius the #1 and he finally gotten a good run of games in to catch form... he is really starting to develop now and showing that he can be good enough to be our #1.

Limiescouse

Karius doing his bit to solve the issue. More performances like this are needed though
That was quite some sight to see him come that far for that free kick. What was even better wasnt just that he came and caught it, but he held on to it, despite have Lascelles head stuck between his arms and getting a head to the face. Even ignoring the technical analysis of the performances, emotionally he looks a completely different player than the one who had that spell last season, like he's oozing confidence. Swallows and Spring and all that, but we're probably not too many short at this point of calling it spring. I think what we need to see at this point is him have a howler and respond properly. I think it was Westverld who fell apart after one bad game and never recovered. So, he will eventually drop a clanger, and we just need to see that he responds by continuing be this guy, not the MIgnolet clone he was last season and earlier this season in the CL.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Invest the money in good midfielders, our goalkeeper is just doing fine, he has all season long.

zman89

It would be criminal to replace him on his latest performances. I don't see what nervousness people have been seeing. Nothing like the "run of good forms" by Mignolet. MIgnolet was always an accident waiting to happen with defenders trying to nurse him through the game, even through his best moments. Don't get the same feeling with Karius personally.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I’d still like a decent keeper to sign in summer. Even if it’s cover. Most top teams have two established keepers.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Based solely on his recent form id be for keeping Karius and talking Mignolet into staying another season. Season long loan Danny Ward out a strong championship club. Especially given the quoted price for Allison

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I’d still like a decent keeper to sign in summer. Even if it’s cover. Most top teams have two established keepers.
I dare say that Wardy would make a better keeper than Mignolet. Keep him as cover for the next season to play the domestic cup and some PL games.

nikz200

I dont think Ward will stay if he has to play second fiddle to Karius, so most likely we will be signing a keeper, the question is do we splash the cash or just look for a stop gap type of keeper to back up Karius in case of anything if he continues with this form. I personally dont like Jack Butland, i feel he is another Joe Hart and would be overpriced at that position. Perhaps the right signing here would be to promote Grabara .

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I wouldn’t mind Ward starting against Porto... at least give his some game time ....