• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

The keeper Situation

KingLuis7

TIA Youth Team
With Jones' good form at the moment, there is something that has been itching me for a few weeks now. Reina surely can no longer be 'not fit'. Pepe was shaking in his boots when Jones had a solid game on debut, and rightly so. Jones has made a few mistakes but I personally think he has looked a lot more sure footed than Reina has for the past 18 months.

It has been surprising to say the least. Even as an Aussie, I was extremely disappointed in the signing of Jones, and he probably would have been out the door if it wasn't for emotional reasons last year. But, maybe even due to overcoming this unfortunate adversity, Jones has stepped up more than a notch. He's comfortable on the cross, not afraid to come out and claim the ball and seems less error prone than Reina in current form. Yes, his distribution is poor (at the moment him just booting it forward is somewhat a release from this back 4 tika-taka rubbish we have succumbed to), but I have personally been really pleased with his current performances.

The question I am asking is, has Jones become our first choice? What does it mean for Pepe?

Rodgers keeps playing Jones on form, I don't see Reina getting a run bar a disastrous game on an injury to Jones. Surely Reina is too much of a quality player to keep on the bench though?

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Reina of all people should know that you play on form. Jones played pretty well in the games he started and just like he bide for his time, Reina needs to do so, just like he did with his Spanish National Team. And I think BR has done well in this regard. Reina had not been his best and this is the best reminder that he is a boss not afraid to cut players with reputation. Reina needs to step up when given the chance. I think Reina will play again in the Europa League as his "easing in" after injury and if he performs well, will be ease way into the first choice again.

OhYaBeauty

So in addition to the "Is Stevie First Choice" thread we also now have an "Is Pepe First Choice" thread. Brilliant.

Seriously, though, I think its good for us to be able to question whether club legends deserve to be dropped. At some point, everyone gets old or runs into some poor form.

gasband

Ad-free Member
I think what he is asking is that he does not believe that Reina is still injured and wonders why if so, he is not walking straight back into the first team. Is BR just being careful with him or there are some other reasons.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
I think what he is asking is that he does not believe that Reina is still injured and wonders why if so, he is not walking straight back into the first team. Is BR just being careful with him or there are some other reasons.
He was only cleared last week and had another 'all clear' yesterday from what was announced in the media. He was not 100% last week even after being cleared for the bench. That's my understanding. All this was made known in most of the media outlets if I am not mistaken.

:)

But yes, Jones has done well thus far but the competition is a healthy one I would think and it can only be good for both keepers and Gulacsi.

KingLuis7

TIA Youth Team
Honestly think he's been right for a few weeks.

Really just interested on thoughts of 'where to now' for Pepe if you get me. Does he come straight back, or do we keep Jones going as he's done nothing wrong?

Competition is only healthy thing for keepers too. Reina hasn't had any for years.

gasband

Ad-free Member
Competition is always good. And if Reina cannot take it, then its perhaps good to sell him while he has value and buy another keeper out there. Reina is a top top Keeper but by no means the only top keeper out there. I vote for Muslera, Uruguay's no. 1.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Honestly think he's been right for a few weeks.

Really just interested on thoughts of 'where to now' for Pepe if you get me. Does he come straight back, or do we keep Jones going as he's done nothing wrong?

Competition is only healthy thing for keepers too. Reina hasn't had any for years.
He returned to training just before the Everton game on the 28th October and missed 2 match's. If you include the mid-week match in Russia and the Everton and Swansea cup exit and the Chelsea match, that's 4 match's he has 'missed' since he started training thus far.

It doesn't always snow at christmas, the way it used to do.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Well there maybe two answers to this question, 1 is he still Injured ? 2 Is he leaving in January.

If he is not injured then option 2 has to be on the table, If he is fit I would see no reason as to why Rogers would leave him back at the training ground. Yes Jones has done well since coming in but Pepe is still the better keeper.

If he is still injured then he can't play and the injury was worst than first thought.

If he has been dropped in favour of Jones, then yes Jones is keeping him out and it maybe just what Pepe needs but thats does not explaine why he is not even making the bench. One thing is for sure there will be pleaty of thoughts on this.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Well there maybe two answers to this question, 1 is he still Injured ? 2 Is he leaving in January.
And which club will he depart too? certainly not a EPL club. Spain? madrid? he wont even come close to the starting 11. Barca? Valdes wont leave. No point in going to other club in La liga, especially when you want to win.
Italian seri A? Juve? I doubt, buffon stil has years left in him. AC milan? They are doing poorly too. Inter? Could be. But will they splash out 20 odd million on a 30 year old keeper? i doubt.

He will be here. We need him. With few decent signings, parity will be resotred. Besides, no one has the distribution like pepe.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
indianscouser while I may agree to a point with what you say, we said the same about Torres and he left for Chelsea, The fact is he ain't winning anything here either so he could leave and play back in his home country for a club outside the top 2 but be playing in his home country. I don't want to see him go but if he sees his place somewhere else then we can't block him, time will tell and I do feel we are not being told the full story over his injury. Jones is a good keeper but he is a massive step down to Pepe, so for me something is going on behind the closed doors. Just what is that is the question.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Liveforthereds, that is an other way of thinking. But then i think he love Liverpool football, and the only thing that can take him away from us is if one of the european giants come with an offer. Frankly i think he would still prefer us over other club who wont win a trophy.

kwala

TIA Regular
Personally I hope Jones keeps his place for a while. Reina has been shocking by his own standards, and on current form, Jones has been the better keeper. He has been making saves that I don't think Reina is capable of currently.

Reina on form, is undoubtably a better keeper. Trouble is Reina has been out of form for 2 or 3 seasons now. It is far beyond a dip in form. Hopefully, losing his place to jones will jive him the kick up the arse he needs, but he needs to step it up.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Personally I hope Jones keeps his place for a while. Reina has been shocking by his own standards, and on current form, Jones has been the better keeper. He has been making saves that I don't think Reina is capable of currently.

Reina on form, is undoubtably a better keeper. Trouble is Reina has been out of form for 2 or 3 seasons now. It is far beyond a dip in form. Hopefully, losing his place to jones will jive him the kick up the arse he needs, but he needs to step it up.
That would be a big big decision. personally for me, pepe if fit, will start. He might have a woeful game, but the all of a sudden he can release a player with his distribution.
Jones as a 2nd choice. certainly, a very good option. But as a 1st choice, when pepe is fit, i dont think so.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Personally I think this is a fairly simple situation.

Reina has been struggling with form for some time, when the other keepers have previously been given a chance they have failed to grasp the opportunity. Reina got injured and whilst I am not a fan of Jones, he has taken this chance and grabbed it with both hands.

Whilst in the team and in form, I think Rogers has no reason to bring Reina straight back into the team and is challenging him to refind the form he had in his first few years with us

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
That would be a big big decision. personally for me, pepe if fit, will start. He might have a woeful game, but the all of a sudden he can release a player with his distribution.
Jones as a 2nd choice. certainly, a very good option. But as a 1st choice, when pepe is fit, i dont think so.
This for me is spot on, Yesterdays game was a good example of how poor Jones is at distribution, in the first half there was number of times where he could have given the ball to the left back and we could have gone on the counter but he held it and then gave it to the RB who then only had the option of giving it back to him and then that left Jones to punt it forward. Something Jones is going to have to learn if he his to keep his spot long term.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Odd thread. Pepe is injured or not fit yet after injury, when he is fit again he'll start ahead of Jones as he's the no1.

I think we can tend to microanalyse every small thing, and I don't think in this case there is anything more complicated than that going on.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Agree. I said this in another thread, a few games in and not that we didn't concede any goals, we now asking to change a keeper whom we know is by far a mile away in terms of quality as compared to Jones. A classic example of how fans view players and managers these days. One good game - legend, one bad game - crap (even though you actually are a legend of the club).

Fist Stevie's position is questioned. Before long, if Suarez failed to score in 3 games - "do we need a new striker and move Suarez to the right?".

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Agree. I said this in another thread, a few games in and not that we didn't concede any goals, we now asking to change a keeper whom we know is by far a mile away in terms of quality as compared to Jones. A classic example of how fans view players and managers these days. One good game - legend, one bad game - crap (even though you actually are a legend of the club).

Fist Stevie's position is questioned. Before long, if Suarez failed to score in 3 games - "do we need a new striker and move Suarez to the right?".
Ok Eddie I will start that one lol

mogggg

TIA Squad Member
Reina doesn't seem like the sort to sit on the side while someone else takes his place in the team. I'm sure this will make him fight hard for his place, and I think whenever he does come back into the side he'll be better for it. Also bear in mind that injuries keepers get can be extremely niggly (I'm speaking from experience) and can go on much longer at a low grade than you expect.

kwala

TIA Regular
Pepe's distribution is great, yes. But what does it matter when the ball is bouncing off him, whistling past him at the near post (I have never seen a keeper get beat so much at his near post as Pepe in the last couple of seasons), he is dropping crosses and unerving the defence? Keepers are there primarily to stop the Ball crossing the line and hitting the net.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Or, as the most simple explanation, Pepe's injury is taking longer to clear up than expected.

It doesn't always have to be a conspiracy.

RedSeven

On the one road
Or, as the most simple explanation, Pepe's injury is taking longer to clear up than expected.

It doesn't always have to be a conspiracy.
Exactly.If it were just a case of him being dropped/2nd to jones then he would have been on the bench.Still recovering from injury but not sure if he will just regain his place automatically when fully fit.Jones has made some mistakes but i think BR may keep faith in him till those mistakes become more visible and frequent,even if it's just to give pepe food for thought.

FreakLFC

Jones is doing an amazing job. He is actually better than most keepers in the league. The tides have changed and are in his favor. He is a tough competition for Reina.
We are unbeaten 9 games i think and lots of credit has to goto Brad Jones. Reina can hopefully get back to fitness and get a few FA cup games or Europa and be backup for now.
No need to replace Jones at all.
I don't give a rats ass about distribution. As long as he can save the 'goals' is all good. Its not like Reina has created a dozen assists with his distribution. It will only improve for Jones if he gets more games.
At the moment he's positioning himself correctly, bending his knees at the right time etc etc which is more imp than a goal kick or clearance aka distribution. He has shown no signs of vulnerability like Pepe and is more confident on the ball than him as well.

funkynoise74

I wouldn't say that Jones is doing an amazing job, but he is currently there on merit. He is still prone to making mistakes, the punch against Everton for their first goal being one, and his kicking does leave a lot to be desired, but he is doing well enough for what he is, a back up keeper.

Despite all his errors over the past 18 months, I still think that the defence feels more comfortable with Reina behind them, as they know his distribution is better, but he needs to eradicate the basic mistakes from his game in order to push on and be back to his brilliant best.

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
To be honest, I think it is fairly simple, when Pepe comes back he goes straight into the side. Jones has done a good job while he's been in, and fair play to him, but Reina is a much better keeper. The idea that Jones has been error-free isn't totally true, the punch against Everton being the one that comes to mind quickest. The distribution issue is important as well, if we want to be a team that keeps the ball then we need a goalie who is good with his feet, and Jones isn't.

He seems to be judged by a different standard than Reina on here, simply because the expectations are lower. If Reina had put in the performances Jones has people would probably be complaining about him.

He has shown no signs of vulnerability like Pepe and is more confident on the ball than him as well.
Really?