• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The lost magic - FA Cup

Limiescouse

ha ha. Yeah you’ve got me there. Still I’m not paid what Klopp is and everybody thinks I am in the air so out of contact anyway.
I think we are going to have to disagree. I think he is paid to manage the club and he shouldn’t get to pick and choose which games he attends.
He is managing the club. It his opinion that it is in everyone's best interests that the senior side respect the winter break that has long since been planned for. This does not just mean that holidays have been booked, but that workloads have been managed with a view to this time off being built into the schedule. That is true of Klopp himself just as much as it is the players.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
No, no, no... Those precious footballers are too delicate to have to play extra time; the games should go straight to penalties.

But hang on... Penalty shootouts are too stressful an environment for our mollycoddled darlings; whichever team has more followers on Instagram should be declared the winner.

Fucking snowflake generation; the game’s gone soft.
ok boomer

rupzzz

TIA Regular
If you're told you have a holiday period coming up, then get told 10 days before that you need to cancel your plans, you'd be pissed off too.

Whilst I would rather that Klopp was taking charge of this game, and really would like for us to win the FA Cup, it's the FA that need a long hard look at themselves, and realise that they have booked in the replays at the wrong time.

The fact that in the FA cup, you have VAR for some matches, and not for others, highlights how stupid the FA are.

100% appreciate the magic of the cup is lost somewhat, but I don't think it is lost for lower league clubs, like Shrewsbury, who have a big day out at Anfield now, which comes with a pay out too.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
The FA Cup is a mess currently, firstly VAR, you have it from a set round or not at all. The FA covers the cost if it is installing it at a league 1 ground, you have replays or you don't, you don't suddenly get rid of them in round 5 onwards.

The league cup needs to go to be honest, I've lost all interest in that.

Limiescouse

The FA Cup is a mess currently, firstly VAR, you have it from a set round or not at all. The FA covers the cost if it is installing it at a league 1 ground, you have replays or you don't, you don't suddenly get rid of them in round 5 onwards.

The league cup needs to go to be honest, I've lost all interest in that.
Aye, difficult to argue for the sanctity of a competition in which the rules change round by round depending on who your opponents are.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
We're all as good as doomed anyway. But do we go raging against the dying of our game's light or as Golgafrincham FC supporters.

The Golgafrinchans realised that were three types of beings on the planet of Golgafrincham: the leaders (or thinkers), the workers (or doers), and the middlemen.

The leaders contained the artists and "achievers". The workers were the people who "did all the actual work", and who made and did things. The middle management was comprised of hairdressers, lawyers, telephone sanitisers, and other such "worthless jobs."[1]The three classes of Golgafrinchans, as seen in Episode 6 of the TV series.The group of leaders built a ship and convinced the middlemen to leave Golgafrincham by telling them several different reasons, including: that the planet was going to crash into the sun (or perhaps the moon was going to crash into the planet), that the planet was being invaded by a gigantic swarm of twelve foot piranha bees, and that "the entire planet was in imminent danger of being eaten by an enormous mutant star goat."[1]
The middlemen were sent off, told that the other Golgafrinchans would follow soon, however they remained on the planet with no intention of leaving. The middlemen stayed in space for a long period of time, with many on board in suspended animation for the majority of the journey, with the exception of the Captain and his Number One and Number Two. This third class eventually crashed onto Earth, while the other two-thirds of their society on Golgafrincham lived full, rich and happy lives until they were all suddenly killed off by a raging disease contracted from a dirty telephone.
Not everybody needed the B arc explanation Zaphod ;)

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
For the first time since he became manager I’m disappointed and embarrassed by Jurgen’s comments about the cup. Whilst I understand his frustration at the replay interrupting the winter break, I think he is being very disrespectful to the competition and the rest of the football pyramid. Look at those little kids with their tin foil replica cups on the pitch afterwards, this cup means a lot to clubs and their fans in the lower leagues and Jurgen’s arrogant disrespect towards those fans reflects badly on him and our club.

It’s easy to forget that the English game is built on the foundations of little clubs, Sunday leagues and tradition. If we ignore all of that we will end up with a sterile European super league where the same elite teams play each other year in year out. Look at the dreary Scottish league to get an insight into what that will be like. Not that he gives a fuck what I think but I’m sorry Jurgen you are completely wrong on this one.
Maybe you want him to be a hypocrite rather? Its one or the other.

He is choosing to respect his players over a thing(fa cup).

He, and other managers, have argued for, pleaded for, advocated, a break for players, and a fraction of people want him to say "well we were only joking, we were just moaning, we really don't need a break, haha fooled you suckers."

I am personally happy that he choosing the route of integrity, and hopefully he isn't pressured into going back on his word.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
If you're told you have a holiday period coming up, then get told 10 days before that you need to cancel your plans, you'd be pissed off too.

Whilst I would rather that Klopp was taking charge of this game, and really would like for us to win the FA Cup, it's the FA that need a long hard look at themselves, and realise that they have booked in the replays at the wrong time.

The fact that in the FA cup, you have VAR for some matches, and not for others, highlights how stupid the FA are.
Isn’t a lower league side getting away with a blatant handball in the box, and then getting a penalty for a challenge a yard outside the box the magic of the cup?

I’m starting to realise more and more that the ‘magic of the cup’ is just another way of saying shit referees.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Isn’t a lower league side getting away with a blatant handball in the box, and then getting a penalty for a challenge a yard outside the box the magic of the cup?

I’m starting to realise more and more that the ‘magic of the cup’ is just another way of saying shit referees.
The magic comes from lower league sides having the opportunity to play the big boys, make some money, make some history etc.

What the referees do, or don't do, is neither here nor there in my opinion. We could just have easily won a penno for a challenge on edge of the box, or got away with a handball. I'm sure there are examples of clubs higher in the leagues knocking out lower league teams where the refs have got it wrong.

Refs will always been maligned, with or without VAR, as a lot of the time it's judgment calls. But the use of VAR in some instances, but not others, in the FA cup is a joke.

RedYank

I would manage, and play the entire senior squad, in order to win the FA Cup.

(But then again, I am a greedy/avaricious bastard who wants all the silverware...bwahahaha. :ROFLMAO: ) Carry on.

Mascot88

Admin
The magic comes from lower league sides having the opportunity to play the big boys, make some money, make some history etc.

What the referees do, or don't do, is neither here nor there in my opinion. We could just have easily won a penno for a challenge on edge of the box, or got away with a handball. I'm sure there are examples of clubs higher in the leagues knocking out lower league teams where the refs have got it wrong.

Refs will always been maligned, with or without VAR, as a lot of the time it's judgment calls. But the use of VAR in some instances, but not others, in the FA cup is a joke.
As long as I’ve been watching football, the referees have allowed lower league teams to hack premier league teams to shit. I haven’t forgotten the tie against AFC Wimbledon a few years ago, when their players were absolutely brutal and everyone just thought it was funny. The commentators chuckling about the magic of the cup as league two yard dogs flew in two footed. I recall Manquillo was the victim of an absolutely awful tackle that afternoon and never really recovered for us. Didn’t even get a foul.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
As long as I’ve been watching football, the referees have allowed lower league teams to hack premier league teams to shit. I haven’t forgotten the tie against AFC Wimbledon a few years ago, when their players were absolutely brutal and everyone just thought it was funny. The commentators chuckling about the magic of the cup as league two yard dogs flew in two footed. I recall Manquillo was the victim of an absolutely awful tackle that afternoon and never really recovered for us. Didn’t even get a foul.
Can't say I've noticed this particularly, however you are probably right, refs prob do give the benefit of the doubt to the lower league teams.

But, fouling is part of the game, look at Pep and all his tactical fouling.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Big money, the rise of the CL, (and the world club) have lowered its value.

I think Klopps decision not to be at the reply is a direct result of Fifa and Uefa and big business wanting more games, bigger tournaments, m ore money and bigger profits. The consequence (as written here probably a lot) is players playing too much. The winter break is a great idea. Yet again, as with the League cup, we cant field a first team. If they cant plan around things like the winter break and replays then they obviously arent planning well enough !! and if there is no space then there are too many games.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular

Yeah Man City against Swansea last season, I felt it made a bit of a mockery of the VAR thing considering if it had been a home game for Man City they would have gone out, it's why you do what the CL did last season (say for the last 16 exclusively onwards) or you don't use it like the League Cup.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I circle back to a point made a few days ago.....

Kloppo is probably hoping a few of those guys in his senior squad ask for the game time.

Minamino is a classic example, he’s just had his winter break.

Matip and lovren need minutes, shakiri. There’s 3-4 players there that I’d be dissappointed if I didn’t here that they at least asked Klopp if they could play, they still get 11 days afterwards.

As for Klopp, I lean towards him being in the dugout, maybe just as an active observer, just for the game, not the session leading up or after.

The stadium will have a completely different dynamic, which £1 pound tickets the joint will be full of kids.

I honestly think that could be worth more to him than a deck chair in Ibiza. But I’m not passionate about it, if he wants the full break, then take it.

Limiescouse

I circle back to a point made a few days ago.....

Kloppo is probably hoping a few of those guys in his senior squad ask for the game time.
He has already said they will not be allowed to participate. I agree though that it could be the best use of some of the players who have not had much game time recently.

Red over the water

For the first time since he became manager I’m disappointed and embarrassed by Jurgen’s comments about the cup. Whilst I understand his frustration at the replay interrupting the winter break, I think he is being very disrespectful to the competition and the rest of the football pyramid. Look at those little kids with their tin foil replica cups on the pitch afterwards, this cup means a lot to clubs and their fans in the lower leagues and Jurgen’s arrogant disrespect towards those fans reflects badly on him and our club.

It’s easy to forget that the English game is built on the foundations of little clubs, Sunday leagues and tradition. If we ignore all of that we will end up with a sterile European super league where the same elite teams play each other year in year out. Look at the dreary Scottish league to get an insight into what that will be like. Not that he gives a fuck what I think but I’m sorry Jurgen you are completely wrong on this one.
I disagree, but I liked this post simply because you spoke your mind and went against the grain.

Makes for a more interesting forum when people do this... on the proviso that it doesn't turn into a point scoring festering turd sort of situation. But I have high hopes for our ability to exchange views politely, so fair play to you sir.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Ronnie Radford, Chris "Leatherfield Lip" Kelly, Keith Houchen.....the cup was magic.
Charlie George broke my young heart in 1971, whilst Keegan and Heighway made it sing in 73.
Only football we got to watch live in grainy black and white....it was fucking magic.

Its shit now, the FA and the Mancs started the rot. Good on Klopp for calling a halt.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
I disagree, but I liked this post simply because you spoke your mind and went against the grain.

Makes for a more interesting forum when people do this... on the proviso that it doesn't turn into a point scoring festering turd sort of situation. But I have high hopes for our ability to exchange views politely, so fair play to you sir.
Thanks. I agree that having differing opinions makes this a more interesting place but it’s a high wire act as so often it descends Into abuse. I don’t envy the mods, it’s a tough job.

epsomred

Ad-free Member
Maybe you want him to be a hypocrite rather? Its one or the other.

He is choosing to respect his players over a thing(fa cup).

He, and other managers, have argued for, pleaded for, advocated, a break for players, and a fraction of people want him to say "well we were only joking, we were just moaning, we really don't need a break, haha fooled you suckers."

I am personally happy that he choosing the route of integrity, and hopefully he isn't pressured into going back on his word.
I’m making a distinction between him and the players. They deserve a break but I think our manager should be in the dUg out for an FA cup tie. I think it’s disrespectful to the competition and our fans for him to go on holiday instead. He’s got the rest of his life to go on holiday. I bet Kenny will be sitting in the stand. That’s the difference maybe.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I’m making a distinction between him and the players. They deserve a break but I think our manager should be in the dUg out for an FA cup tie. I think it’s disrespectful to the competition and our fans for him to go on holiday instead. He’s got the rest of his life to go on holiday. I bet Kenny will be sitting in the stand. That’s the difference maybe.
It would be extremely disrespectful to Neil Critchley for Klopp to manage his side. The FA have conspired to reduce the competition by letting the Mancs opt out years ago. It is on them. Klopp is standing by principles. More luck to him.

Red over the water

I remember recently Klopp made a comment about a happy marriage, or something like that. The underlying thought was that if you are gone/occupied all the time with your work, it adds a real strain on your home life. If looking forward to a planned break, and then taking it, even in the face of criticism, is what our manager is going to do, then I am 100% supportive.

The bigger issue is the various vested interests governing the game of football, and their inability to work together for the good of the players. It is quickly booming a classic case of killing the goose that is laying the golden eggs. There are only so many days, and there are only so many games that can be played. Everyone wants more, but it is just not possible.

The magic of the FA Cup has been gone for years. Arguably it is still magical for smaller teams, especially if they get a game against one of the big boys, but even then it is largely undermined because they usually play against a diminished side with fringe players and kids.

Mascot had some excellent suggestions earlier about streamlining the fixture list, with regard to no replays, and the smaller team choosing whether to play the game home or away, and so on. Some good stuff there to make headway, but ultimately the issue is one of greed and jurisdiction. Everyone wants to get their hands on one of those golden eggs - who doesn't want some lovely $$$ - but our manager is one of the few voices in the game saying "we're going to kill the goose!"

Stick to your guns Jurgen.

vzok

That’s the difference between the magic of the FA Cup and the “magic” of the FA

Limiescouse

Aye, the number of competing interests pulling in different directions is the big issue. We have a thing in Florida that it's pointless leaving a "safe" distance between you and the car you're following because that only leaves room for some dick to cut in front of you. The folly of working to create space in the football calendar is the same thing.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

The difference between a man who does 100 hour weeks vs someone who is retired?

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
3. Premier League teams enter the FA Cup at the fourth round stage, rather than the third.
I haven't done the sums, but is that even possible? Throwing in 20 teams a round later without halving the lower League spots getting into the fourth round?? How is that to the benefit of non-PL teams?

epsomred

Ad-free Member
It would be extremely disrespectful to Neil Critchley for Klopp to manage his side. The FA have conspired to reduce the competition by letting the Mancs opt out years ago. It is on them. Klopp is standing by principles. More luck to him.
So who was that German sounding beardy bloke standing in the technical area and giving the post match interviews after the Shrewsbury game ? Looked a lot like Klopp to me.

Mascot88

Admin
So who was that German sounding beardy bloke standing in the technical area and giving the post match interviews after the Shrewsbury game ? Looked a lot like Klopp to me.
Adrian
Williams Matip Lovren Larouci
Fabinho
Chrivella Jones
Elliot Minamino Origi
Lads who I think are Under 23s in red. So hardly Critchley’s side. I understand Elliot, Williams and Jones mostly train with the seniors these days.