• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The lost magic - FA Cup

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
So who was that German sounding beardy bloke standing in the technical area and giving the post match interviews after the Shrewsbury game ? Looked a lot like Klopp to me.
He is playing the under 23 team in the replay, the side managed by Critchley.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Has the magic gone? Ask the Shrewsbury fans. I'm sure they'd say it's pretty great right now. They would rightly look at us with disdain.

It's just us spoiled cunts at the top who don't like it. Too much money at the top and it's taken the charm out of the game, whereas at the lower leagues fans can still affordably support their club. I hear lots of fans in the UK are going back to supporting small fan-made football clubs and ditching the money driven PL sides.

Limiescouse

Has the magic gone? Ask the Shrewsbury fans. I'm sure they'd say it's pretty great right now. They would rightly look at us with disdain.

It's just us spoiled cunts at the top who don't like it. Too much money at the top and it's taken the charm out of the game, whereas at the lower leagues fans can still affordably support their club. I hear lots of fans in the UK are going back to supporting small fan-made football clubs and ditching the money driven PL sides.
I have several friends who were involved in the new Manchester United protest club in the wake of the Glazers and they mostly love it and dont miss the real United at all.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
So who was that German sounding beardy bloke standing in the technical area and giving the post match interviews after the Shrewsbury game ? Looked a lot like Klopp to me.
That's because the first team squad albeit fringe players were playing, with a couple of under 23 additions.

The under 23's will play in the replay.

Klopp also defended his decision to stay away from the tie and let under-23s boss Neil Critchley take charge.

Critchley managed a youthful Liverpool side in their League Cup defeat by Aston Villa when the first-team squad were in Qatar for the Club World Cup.

"Could I be here for the game? Of course, I could," said Klopp.

"But that again is a complete misunderstanding of management and coaching. They need their coach and it is Critch.

jim bouki

What nonsense 'Klopp should be there people are paying money' etc.
If you're paying money just to see Klopp on the sidelines and not to watch our youngsters WHO ARE MANAGED BY NEIL CRITCHLEY do one over on shrewsbury than perhaps you should just stay at home looking at pics of Jurgen on your computer with some lotion in hand.
Should we call Klopp back from his holiday again to coach the u16's as well just because people will pay to see him there?

RodM

Part of the problem is that there are far more games than there used to be with the expansion of European matches. Also, fixture lists have to be predictable for all concerned.

I would suggest limiting the league cup to teams not involved in European football and do away with the two leg semi. This would give teams outside the top of the league a better chance to have a day out at Wembley rather than it just being City or Chelsea picking up a trophy that they couldn't care less about. The idea of having more games in January and February than is strictly required is insane.

The FA Cup should scrap replays. This would actually give lower league sides a better chance of getting through on the "lightening doesn't strike twice" basis.

The FA Cup is an important competition as it is one of the few things on terrestrial TV. It's things like that which will hook in the next generation of fans.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
As a young bloke at sea the FA cup was the only game you were guaranteed to get on the shortwave radio,not to be missed.
Fast forward to my club in Australia,FA cup night,the kids and their parents wouldn’t miss it,a big night for all.
But to me,it has been devalued at the altar of the almighty dollar,a shame,particularly for the lower league clubs.
I applaud Klopp’s stance though,regardless of how much some get paid,they are not machines.

iftikhar

My love with Liverpool started with FA Cup. Back in 1986/87 we had a program on the FA Cup, The Road to Wembly. That was the program which gave me the first peek into the wonderful Reds. It was another 10 years till we got cable and started to watch football LIVE.

Sweeting

The team will be slightly different from the one that played Aston Villa.

I think it will be something like

Kelleher
Williams Hoever VDBerg Larouci
Clarkson Chirivella
Elliott Jones Hill
Millar
With a bench of... Winterbottom; Boyes, Gallacher, Lewis, Dixon-Bonner, Cain, Stewart

As for the magic of the cup - I think it is still there, it is just that people look back with rose tinted glasses. Most FA Cup games are awful, a few are great. That's where "the magic" is.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I wonder whether any of these arguments against what Klopp has done will still hold water if we manage to beat Shrewsbury. There seems to be an assumption that we are throwing this game but I still think we've got a decent chance. If we not only fulfil the fixture but actually win it, in front of a packed house (which I'm assuming it will be after the ticket price reduction), having come to a financial agreement with Shrewsbury so they don't lose out, then there will be little to complain about.

It would be hilarious if we went on to win the competition after all this fuss. The fume would go on for centuries.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I wonder whether any of these arguments against what Klopp has done will still hold water if we manage to beat Shrewsbury. There seems to be an assumption that we are throwing this game but I still think we've got a decent chance. If we not only fulfil the fixture but actually win it, in front of a packed house (which I'm assuming it will be after the ticket price reduction), having come to a financial agreement with Shrewsbury so they don't lose out, then there will be little to complain about.

It would be hilarious if we went on to win the competition after all this fuss. The fume would go on for centuries.
They were able to compete with teams in the EFL Trophy so it isn't totally in the reigns of impossible. What I will say is this, it's excellent development for the likes of Elliott who when stepping up in future will have experienced this.

I'll probably watch this, I didn't bother with the Villa game.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
They were able to compete with teams in the EFL Trophy so it isn't totally in the reigns of impossible. What I will say is this, it's excellent development for the likes of Elliott who when stepping up in future will have experienced this.

I'll probably watch this, I didn't bother with the Villa game.
We are now the underdogs but I think we have a reasonable chance. I'm actually really looking forward to it in a way I wouldn't have been had we been fielding a stronger team.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
We are now the underdogs but I think we have a reasonable chance. I'm actually really looking forward to it in a way I wouldn't have been had we been fielding a stronger team.
I've stayed out of the discussion so far, but playing a team in 16th in League One at home and not being favourites does not sit comfortably with me at all. Not one bit. I expect us to win every home game.

W00die

Ad-free Member
Quite happy from Neil C to manage this one and Klopp gets his break. Can't understand though why Matip, Lovren & Fabhino can't play as all need match sharpness asap & this us a good time to do it. Lallana (if fit?) - if he is leaving in the Summer would surely be desperate for us to win this cup Minimo had a long break in December & needs matches before really useful to us. Origi, in two minds, it depends how long Mane is out for but if a while I'd like Origi to play to try and get as sharp as possible. So basically, same team as started first match but change Salah, Bobby & Ox as subs for kids.

Danny_

No, no, no... Those precious footballers are too delicate to have to play extra time; the games should go straight to penalties.

But hang on... Penalty shootouts are too stressful an environment for our mollycoddled darlings; whichever team has more followers on Instagram should be declared the winner.

Fucking snowflake generation; the game’s gone soft.
Hey, I grew up in the 80s so I remember what it was like pre-Sky sports. You can try to live in the past if you want - the club really hurt its prospects by not modernizing itself for way too long and doing that. The game has moved on and this is just recognizing the reality of today. I am sure the players would be happy to play actually. But the club has a lot to lose by allowing that and not much to gain.

The only thing that could save the FA cup is if a CL place was attached to winning the FA cup. But then, do you have to do the same for the Copa del Rey in Spain etc? I think the FA could make a case that English teams deserve 5 CL places. We have the strongest league by far in Europe.

Last edited:

Commando

Ad-free Member
What nonsense 'Klopp should be there people are paying money' etc.
If you're paying money just to see Klopp on the sidelines and not to watch our youngsters WHO ARE MANAGED BY NEIL CRITCHLEY do one over on shrewsbury than perhaps you should just stay at home looking at pictures of Jurgen on your computer with some lotion in hand.
Should we call Klopp back from his holiday again to coach the u16's as well just because people will pay to see him there?
I do that anyway. Oh, come on, we’ve all done it? No? Just me then? ;)

Sweeting

No, no, no... Those precious footballers are too delicate to have to play extra time; the games should go straight to penalties.

But hang on... Penalty shootouts are too stressful an environment for our mollycoddled darlings; whichever team has more followers on Instagram should be declared the winner.

Fucking snowflake generation; the game’s gone soft.
Although the people complaining about this are mainly Klopp, 52, and Guardiola, 49.

It is rare to hear the players publicly complain about the amount of games.

Commando

Ad-free Member
I wonder just how many games (barring England internationals are played at Wembley nowadays. FA Cup final and semis, League Cup final, Championship play off, Leagues one and two play off finals. FA vase? and FA trophy? Community Shield. I think that most of these games are televised as well. Some of them are only available on Sly TV though and that could be part of it. When the BBC and ITV we’re both guaranteed the coverage of the FA Cup final they had the build up and post match coverage on until it was all over. Including any extra time. They did their best to outdo each other on coverage and draw the biggest viewing figures. Nowadays the coverage just doesn’t seem as good to me.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I was looking at going to anfield with my eldest if i could get tickets...
But a quick look at train tickets on that day show £240 return tickets from Nottingham! Disgusting. Disgraceful. Shameful.
I could drive but I’d have to leave work early.