The midfield - What's the answer?

AussieLad

TIA Regular
I guess Karius was also pivotal? I really don’t like this “proof” from last year, that is being used to defend the trio to such a degree, that it’s almost like a personal insult to criticize them. I personally think Mo, Bobby, Mane, Virgil, Robertson and Ox were the pivotal ones, with the rest not as pivotal. I think the form of the front three glossed over the deficiencies of Gini, Hendo and Milner as a midfield trio. The responses on the midfield trio have been quite well thought out for the most part, with not many people calling them mugs, instead just commenting that they don’t perform that well together, more often than not.

Dribble or an opinion not stated as fact?
Where criticism is justified, and within reason then that is fine. But go back through some of the posts in the Citeh Post Match thread and you will understand what I am getting at. There is a lot of very OTT and personal insults being directed at the 3 of them which is what I take issue with.

Limiescouse

Which meant the solid midfield 3 whose main source of creativity is to force mistakes didn't result in anything and thus the first half we created nothing bar the sublime front 3 combination which lead to some of the strangest chaos I've seen! How we didn't score!!! The fine margin indeed.
That Mane chance was the result of a maybe 40 pass move in which Hendo and Gini were both heavily involved and played critical roles at times the move could have broken down. For Salah to have even got the chance to spin his marker on the half way line the midfield had to have done a hell of a job to have worked the ball into that position.

Limiescouse

It's fine to have an opinion on the combos you'd prefer to see, but the degree to which a large contingent here have determined that our midfield is not good enough and the individual components sub par is so absurd, that even after a game in which our performance was at such a high level that it took a self described "best performance of the Mansour era" to sneak past us in a one off game by the tiniest of margins, people are using that as evidence to support that position. That despite the fact that we were on top (i.e. our midfield was in the ascendancy) for several extended periods of the game. That despite the fact that one of their midfielders was one most effective players in premier league history and barely got a kick of the ball for the hour he was on the pitch.

Last edited:
That Mane chance was the result of a maybe 40 pass move in which Hendo and Gini were both heavily involved and played critical roles at times the move could have broken down. For Salah to have even got the chance to spin his marker on the half way line the midfield had to have done a hell of a job to have worked the ball into that position.
We had some lovely moments in the game where our midfield ran rings round a very good well organised City team. Of course we all remember the result but we mustn't forget on another day that result could have been very different and with the same players on the pitch.
Ok at other times our passing was poor and we struggled getting the ball out of defense, which is not always the case, however it's not like City didn't try to make life difficult for us and often succeeded.

Limiescouse

We had some lovely moments in the game where our midfield ran rings round a very good well organised City team. Of course we all remember the result but we mustn't forget on another day that result could have been very different and with the same players on the pitch.
Ok at other times our passing was poor and we struggled getting the ball out of defense, which is not always the case, however it's not like City didn't try to make life difficult for us and often succeeded.
The game was played at such a pace and level of tactical brilliance that the idea that some "misplaced passes" is an illustration of playing poorly is absurd. People really need to get a reality check about what it means to play a side as good as city at their place with the level of motivation and commitment they had on that day. As you said, despite those challenges, there were long periods of superiority and even moments of brilliance. Those elements are far more indicative of the quality of the group and the level of performance they put in than pointing out a couple of times that someone lost the ball under pressure.

Last edited:

Red Ted

When did he say that?
Obviously he's not going to say it, his actions tell you all you need to know the he's being fazed out, 100 million spent in the summer & I think more will be spent on it this summer & along with Chamberlain back, he'll be just a squad player next year just as a player as limited as him he should be in a top team, but for Keita & Fabinho not hitting the ground running we would've seen less of him this season.

Obviously he's not going to say it, his actions tell you all you need to know the he's being fazed out, 100 million spent in the summer & I think more will be spent on it this summer & along with Chamberlain back, he'll be just a squad player next year just as a player as limited as him he should be in a top team, but for Keita & Fabinho not hitting the ground running we would've seen less of him this season.
If he hadn't come back late (due to WC) and some niggles we would have seen more of him. He is no no way being fazed out!

Red Ted

If he hadn't come back late (due to WC) and some niggles we would have seen more of him. He is no no way being fazed out!
Just like Can if he wasn't around you wouldn't hear a peep from anyone that we miss or need him apart from the small strange group of devotees, we'll see then in the coming 12 months if Henderson is a regular first team player.