• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

The midfield - What's the answer?

Ahmed Hussain

Sad guy with no life :(
Keep imaginig , it's a klopp thing to trust average /inconsistant footballers , you can give 1 billions to buy quality , he will still stik with the like of Lovren , Can , Wijnaldum or Hendo , the gap with the CL teams is staggering , take PSG midfield for exemple , they have no destroyer here , intelligence , mobility and control prevent them from every danger .
Plus they spent over £300 million on just two players. Liverpool may not be perfect but the club isn't going backwards. It may be frustrating that top targets are missed, results don't go the right way and infavourable players are chosen but since Klopp, the Club have been in two club finals and haven't lost a champions league game yet and are still favourites to go pretty far. Under Rodgers, the only success the club really had was almost winning the premier league.
I see you have a hard on for Henderson. Maybe not the most glamourous of players but statistically, he is up there with the best holding midfielders. He is the captain and is a good choice considering he has set an example in terms of resurrecting his career. Someone like Coutinho, who is still yet to really make up for trying to force a move, isn't the best choice as he is a great player, but hasn't been a great role model for the fans or players.

Abdel

Plus they spent over £300 million on just two players. Liverpool may not be perfect but the club isn't going backwards. It may be frustrating that top targets are missed, results don't go the right way and infavourable players are chosen but since Klopp, the Club have been in two club finals and haven't lost a champions league game yet and are still favourites to go pretty far. Under Rodgers, the only success the club really had was almost winning the premier league.
I see you have a hard on for Henderson. Maybe not the most glamourous of players but statistically, he is up there with the best holding midfielders. He is the captain and is a good choice considering he has set an example in terms of resurrecting his career. Someone like Coutinho, who is still yet to really make up for trying to force a move, isn't the best choice as he is a great player, but hasn't been a great role model for the fans or players.
Ahmed , i was talking about their midfield , they didn't pay 300 millions on veratti , motta and rabiot , they had the first for only 12 millions€ , the second for 10 millions€ , while they formed the third , juste in comparaison , hendo - wijnaldum and can cost to the club 61 millions pounds .
And sorry , i just have to disagree with you on hendo , when you are a CM, stats mean nothing if you can't do the basics ( create space ) , i know for the moment he is not the worst in our midfield ( Can and Winji provide absolutly nothing ) , bar coutinho in the midfield département , they can all be upgraded ( even lallana , inconsistant for me ) .

Ahmed Hussain

Sad guy with no life :(
Ahmed , i was talking about their midfield , they didn't pay 300 millions on veratti , motta and rabiot , they had the first for only 12 millions€ , the second for 10 millions€ , while they formed the third , juste in comparaison , hendo - wijnaldum and can cost to the club 61 millions pounds .
And sorry , i just have to disagree with you on hendo , when you are a CM, stats mean nothing if you can't do the basics ( create space ) , i know for the moment he is not the worst in our midfield ( Can and Winji provide absolutly nothing ) , bar coutinho in the midfield département , they can all be upgraded ( even lallana , inconsistant for me ) .
@Scott Jones you're right. No point arguing over Henderson. lol

Kopstar

★★★★★★
The answer is Naby Keita - could be here in January as he's apparently stinking the place out in Leipzig.

K

Klopptinho

Right. Is that what he was doing when he won two Bundesliga's and got to a champions league final?
they were very average players compared to maradona! get some perspective man!!! jeez @Mascot88 i expect better and far more intelligence from you .. come on!! don't you realise you have to come up with your own justification for @Abdel wild consistently world class postings ?lol

K

Klopptinho

17m + 25m+10m = 61m :think: can i borrow your calculator :think:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Right. Is that what he was doing when he won two Bundesliga's and got to a champions league final?
Do you ever get the sense with Klopp his primary failing is his absolute loyalty to players and the romantic view that any player can be improved? I believe if Klopp had the same short term-ism approach that say Mourinho has (spending large sums, ignoring youth, instant results) he would achieve just the same in just the same amount of time. Klopp to me really is interested in the long game, seeing a group of players grow into a Champion Winning team, rather than buying one in etc. For us fans it can seem at times (I'm as guilty as the next person) that he has blind faith in players that just arent good enough, but I believe Klopp would rather make do with Lovren rather than buy a lesser version of the 1 player (Van Dijk) he believes fits into this ultimate team. He will do the same in terms of youth, he will continue with players who we believe should have been moved on, but his long term view is they will, but the player he wants to replace isn't available or isn't ready.

K

Klopptinho

My apologies , 52 mil pounds , which is nearly 60 mil€
lol stick to £ . that was your original currency :p
59086104.22 Euro btw..today. not sure what it was back when we spent each amount .

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Looking through the various threads, we have a "The defence - what's the answer?" and a "The midfield - what's the answer?".
When are we starting a "The attack - what's the answer?' and a "The finishing- what's the answer?".... ???

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Looking through the various threads, we have a "The defence - what's the answer?" and a "The midfield - what's the answer?".
When are we starting a "The attack - what's the answer?' and a "The finishing- what's the answer?".... ???
We have. one already,:well done:

treboeth

I am currently working on the thread titled:-
The Tealady what's the Answer.

The main question's will be:-
1.Tea love?
2. Milk with that?
3. Do you want sugar?
4.Would you like a biscuit?

From that we can go on to discuss the merits of semi skinned or full fat milk, 1 sugar/2 sugars or none :shocked:, hobnobs digestives or rich tea and many other variations such as does sugar have a detrimental effect on Studges possession etc.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
I am currently working on the thread titled:-
The Tealady what's the Answer.

The main question's will be:-
1.Tea love?
2. Milk with that?
3. Do you want sugar?
4.Would you like a biscuit?

From that we can go on to discuss the merits of semi skinned or full fat milk, 1 sugar/2 sugars or none :shocked:, hobnobs digestives or rich tea and many other variations such as does sugar have a detrimental effect on Studges possession etc.
You forgot the most obvious question: Should we have bought a new tea urn in the summer? And knowing that they were never going to sell us the Burco MFCT1030 Cygnet Water Boiler, should we have had a plan B?:think:

[email protected]

You forgot the most obvious question: Should we have bought a new tea urn in the summer? And knowing that they were never going to sell us the Burco MFCT1030 Cygnet Water Boiler, should we have had a plan B?:think:
I am going with a yes here. Using a stove top kettle must surely be draining Ethel out, especially as she gazes in envy at the computerised systems they have going on in Manchester.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Shit, didn't see that one! My comment was a little tongue and cheek, but obviously the need for the attack thread as well given our current form :eh?::shocked:

Very good article on the home page about Hendo's qualities for anyone wanting a good read.
I thought it was a poor article. You could dissect any player in the league like that and make them look like whatever you wanted them to look like.

Jase

The answer is Naby Keita - could be here in January as he's apparently stinking the place out in Leipzig.
Is that your opinion, or have you heard something? ;)

I read that we could let Can go to Juve in January and push the Keita deal through at the same time, but what's actually happened that makes this more than hopeful speculation?

I assume there would also be (more) money involved in it, if it did happen?

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
I thought it was a poor article. You could dissect any player in the league like that and make them look like whatever you wanted them to look like.
You certainly could with any average to poor player.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Looks to me since Coutinho has come in it has slowed down our play.. One of the best ways to beat a team sitting deep is crisp, quick and 1 touch football, switching play often etc. We've become very slow, very ponderous in our approach.

Flobs

FADA
Looks to me since Coutinho has come in it has slowed down our play.. One of the best ways to beat a team sitting deep is crisp, quick and 1 touch football, switching play often etc. We've become very slow, very ponderous in our approach.
Coutinho is coming too deep leaving himself too much work to do. When he finds an opening he does instigate quick crisp play, it's just getting past the first block and finding the ball through the second that's taking too much time.
I personally feel that 3 deep lying defensively positioned midfielders, in Henderson, Wijnaldum and Coutinho, when in possession is over kill. What makes it worst is that by the time they get the ball past the oppositions 1st block they have all moved into attacking positions leaving the midfield devoid of bodies. Weird tactics!

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
I said any player ! It is like a YOUTUBE video, make anyone look good. Henderson was Englands best player yesterday.
Yes you probably can if you look long enough. The writer only went back 2-3 games (from memory). You must think he set out to make him look as bad as possible. Perhaps he was England’s best player yesterday, I didn’t see the game. Likewise he is for us from time to time. My opinion of him is, he isn’t good enough. He is a solid squad player with a big engine. His ability is a result of guts and determination rather than natural talent.

Noo Noo

Yes you probably can if you look long enough. The writer only went back 2-3 games (from memory). You must think he set out to make him look as bad as possible. Perhaps he was England’s best player yesterday, I didn’t see the game. Likewise he is for us from time to time. My opinion of him is, he isn’t good enough. He is a solid squad player with a big engine. His ability is a result of guts and determination rather than natural talent.
I just think he's the wrong player to be playing at the base of midfield. He can and has played mush better when slightly forward. The last season with Suarez springs to mind where he got numerous assists.

worth noting that we still leaked too many goals way back then too. Same issue and many of the same players......

Hmm I may have just shot down my own argument......................................

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Been thinking about our midfield set up. Ox is really starting to come along and I think this year is Klopp getting him up and running for that CAM role. That's not to say he isn't doing ok at it during the year, he's had some fantastic games, or that he'll stop improving after this year, under Klopp I definitely think he'll improve further.

But I think Klopp is definitely building something we will only really see come to fruition next season. Ox will hopefully be fully up and running and showing consistency week in week out. I think Keita will come in and play his natural game from day 1 like Klopp has done with VvD instead of a steady introduction like with some others.

With the partnership of Keita in the box to box role and Ox in the central attacking mid role we could have an extremely good combo that's young enough to play 5+ years together. We'd have Gini, Lallana and Milner as options for depth and cover which isn't too shabby with youngsters like Grujic, Woodburn and Ejaria amongst others who could potentially end up in those roles.

Those roles could obviously be further improved by say bringing in an even better CAM than ox. If he's a good starter how amazing would it be having him as the back up? But can't see a heavy outlay here unless an opportunity that is too good to pass up arrives. I think that's two of the three midfield positions sorted.

The deepest position, holding mid, anchor, number 6, DM... whatever name you choose it's a quandary.

When fit, in form and at their best Henderson and Can have both been boss in this role. Unfortunately neither have been consistent. Can sometimes seems to have his head up his arse and also seems to get confused if he's the holder or the box to box as he plays that role a lot. He can sometimes be a bit too slow off the mark for the role. He's also probably leaving. Henderson has had so many injuries and fitness issues it's been hard for him to show any consistent form, he frequently seems to be playing himself back to fitness and form and plays "within himself" when doing so. He can be good enough to be the starter in this role but we are only getting Henderson at his best for one game in 5 on average these days. It's really frustrating.

If Can stays I hope he gets settled into the role more, with Keita around he'd be used less in the box to box role and this contract situation would be done so maybe he could kick on and own the position and Henderson would be a fantastic back up/competition option.

If Can goes we've got three options;

1st Alexander-Arnold could move "back" into CM, he could potentially be a great holding mid and I don't think it'd be more than a season or two before he stole the starting spot off Henderson. I don't mind this scenario but I also don't mind him soon being our RB for years to come either.

2nd Milner could offer cover for Henderson. I'm scared of this happening. As much as I like both players I think this would be a real weak spot in the team if this is what we went with for half a season or more. Unfortunately I can also see it happening if we can't land a perfect target and I just hope we cope if that's what we do.

3rd We bring someone in. If we do then I hope it's a starter, a big signing, one of Klopps perfect targets for a position like Keita and VvD. I know though that it could be either a Klavan style player for cover or a Robertson/Grujic style signing to be brought in for competition because he has the potential to be a starter.

I think the answer to midfield is quite close and we might well see a perfect Klopp midfield within 6-12 months and it'd be awesome when we do!

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
The deepest position, holding mid, anchor, number 6, DM... whatever name you choose it's a quandary.
I'm not sure that Klopp actually wants to play with a #6. Both Can and Henderson aren't pure #6's too. Any #6 that Klopp buys would be more as a deep lying playmaker in the mould of a more pressing version of Xabi Alonso (gegenpress , win the ball & play the right pass to the forward line)

It's probably easier to play the existing midfielders who we seem to have a surplus of in that role. One of Gini,Milner,Can(assuming he stays),Henderson would be fine. Just need to find a replacement for Can in my book. All the more better if he's a true defensive midfielder but Klopp's never played with a defensive midfielder.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
Five months on I'm wondering what the question was...

:eh?: