The midfield - What's the answer?

macca1970

Milner has been one of the better midfield performers this season. Having said that, I think he should be restricted to one game a week. This will enable him to have a good influence on the team by keeping fresh.

Fabinho has now had a few months to learn the basics of Klopp's expectations, so he should be performing full level in training to try to catch Klopp's eye.

We're going through an adjustment stage at the moment with the new found focus on defensive responsibilities, so this for me is expected. All this talk of wholesale changes is out of the question. We haven't turned into Hodgson mark 2 overnight, so we need to keep a little perspective. It's a challenge, but one that Klopp has solved many times over his career.

Abdel

I think it's more about a lack of clear pattern in our play . of course quality and personels plays a huge role .but the only clear plan we have since Klopp has been to win the ball high up the pitch and score on the break .we never score a proper goal by building up from the back , triangle , One two etc...

Red over the water

I’m looking forward to Fabinho and Keita finding their level and becoming mainstays in the side. That’s a player with a lot of physicality, but also able to pass vertically, allied to a player with a great eye for a pass and the ability to dribble and go past people. When the pair of them get going the level of the side will improve.

In the meantime we’re digging in a bit more and have been much better in defence than last year, which is no bad thing when you consider the long season ahead and look at the points haul so far.

GermanRed

We are packed in midfield and maybe it's a good thing to have so many players available but i think rotation backfired at us in the last few weeks. I would even go so far to say that this rotation did cost Milner and Wijnaldum the great form they had at the start of the season.

Reasons for rotation are resting players, injuries (to Keita, Henderson, Milner), trying to fit in new signings (Keita and Fabinho) and trying to get Lallana back to match fitness.

And as if this Rotation isn't enough Klopp started to Change Formation at times to fit in Shaqiri.

It almost feels like there is no competition between the Players because the Manager is trying to Keep everyone happy.

Anfield rd Dreamer

We are packed in midfield and maybe it's a good thing to have so many players available but i think rotation backfired at us in the last few weeks. I would even go so far to say that this rotation did cost Milner and Wijnaldum the great form they had at the start of the season.

Reasons for rotation are resting players, injuries (to Keita, Henderson, Milner), trying to fit in new signings (Keita and Fabinho) and trying to get Lallana back to match fitness.

And as if this Rotation isn't enough Klopp started to Change Formation at times to fit in Shaqiri.

It almost feels like there is no competition between the Players because the Manager is trying to Keep everyone happy.
I'd say you could possibly be right with Gini being rotated out of form but that's a harsh way of putting it on Klopp when Gini has always been capable of putting in anonymous performances. With Milner I think it's the total opposite and he's played too much recently.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
If Coutinho was still at the club I am sure we would all be more than happy with him playing behind Mane, Bobby and Mo. There wouldn't even be a discussion, I'm sure. It would be a front four and two holding midfielders. Based on that premise the obvious answer is to simply put Shaq in to the Coutinho role and carry on. Personally I think Shaq has all the tools for the role, maybe not at Coutinho's level but would certainly offer a shooting threat, add some much needed creativity and dynamism. He may not track back all the time but, hell, when you are 3-0 up at half time who cares? (Other than JK it seems!)

Limiescouse

Not only do we seem more creative with the 4-2-3-1 formation but more solid at the back.
Not sure why the Boss keeps reverting to the 4-3-3 system for the harder games. For me it looks like the opposition then feel more comfortable pushing higher on the midfield as they believe we don't have the ability to let the front three loose. I would stick with Fab and Gini with Shaq in front of them, leave Bobby as a striker and not a #10.
Compare the difference when Shaq came on against Cardiff, how he made us look in the first leg against Red Star... OK he's no Coutinho but he is creative, quick feet, dynamic. This is the key for me, and why Fekir would have been so useful and why we need someone of that mould.
The more I see of the Milner, Gini and Hendo combination the more I wonder how the hell we got to Kiev!
4231 puts too many players in front of the ball and makes it more difficult to press effectively. Notably we have really only used the 4231 in games where we expected to have a lot of the ball and so would be able to use the geggenpress to create our own opportunities far less often

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
4231 puts too many players in front of the ball and makes it more difficult to press effectively. Notably we have really only used the 4231 in games where we expected to have a lot of the ball and so would be able to use the geggenpress to create our own opportunities far less often
There are few games where we expect to have less of the ball! Even with City it was close to 50/50. I think it enables us to close down the short passing from the back so our defence push higher for the inevitable hoof from the goalkeeper. Consolidates us in our front half more and we control the flow. As long as we have a creative player to open up spaces we then dominate. Sadly we only seem to have Shaq capable at the moment so lose a little bit of steel in the middle, but we'll worth it against 16 or 17 of the teams we will face in the PL this year!